post #301 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

It is probably NOT the HDMI repeated - it is MOST LIKELY the
IR transmitter sending 3D to your GLASSES.

thanks - that does appear to be the culprit. Tried in both 2d and 3d and it is only when 3d is on that there is any interference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueCABE View Post

thanks - that does appear to be the culprit. Tried in both 2d and 3d and it is only when 3d is on that there is any interference.

CORRECT Diagnosis
post #303 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post

OK, what's the best way to know what screen sizes would be supported by the 5010 or 6010 at a given distance? I'm using this:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

Using that page, you really go about it in the reverse order. You pick the screen size, and it will tell you how far away the projector has to be from the screen (as well as telling you if you are going to see enough light reflected back from a screen with a given gain).

Type in the diagonal screen size, and your screen gain first.

Then slide the "Throw Range" up and down to see how far back the projector needs to be, and whether or not it falls into "acceptable" ranges.

It is a bit confusing (to me, at least) why you can't fix the projector at a location and see what the "zoom" affect will be from that location.

-Kevin
post #304 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post

Using that page, you really go about it in the reverse order. You pick the screen size, and it will tell you how far away the projector has to be from the screen (as well as telling you if you are going to see enough light reflected back from a screen with a given gain).

Type in the diagonal screen size, and your screen gain first.

Then slide the "Throw Range" up and down to see how far back the projector needs to be, and whether or not it falls into "acceptable" ranges.

It is a bit confusing (to me, at least) why you can't fix the projector at a location and see what the "zoom" affect will be from that location.

-Kevin

Ah... I was only using the horizontal scrollbars.... when you do that, both scrollbars move, which is what was confusing to me! When I do it the way you said, I can see how the screen size scrollbar doesn't move.

Thanks, Kevin!

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #305 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divedoc View Post

Hello again...

Now I have tried the thing with the pixel-alignment. It works as follows:

1. Switch on the PJ

2. Press and hold the Menu-Button for 8 sec.

3. Press the ESC-Button twice

Now a new Window with Informations about the Beamer appears. With the
"Arrow-right" and "Arrow-left"-Button you can see several other Information-Windows.

4. Press again the Menu-Button for 8 sec.
5. Press again the ESC-Button twice.

Now a new Windows appears. On the left side you see 6 lines named
"DIP-SW1" to "DIP-SW 6". Move with the "Arrow-down-Button" to "DIP-SW 6" and press "Enter".

On the right side there are 8 lines named "Bit 0" to "Bit 7" and then "0" and "1" with a white (=deactivated) or green (=activated) Rectangle before the 0 or 1.

Move now with the "Arrow-down"-Button to the line named "Bit 5" and then activate with the "Arrow-right"-Button.

Don't change other bits or DIP-Switches!

Now press Enter and then leave the menu by pressing ESC twice.

Now switch off the PJ and then on again.

Now you can find a new submenu named "LCD Alignment" in the "Advanced"-Submenu. Here you can adjust the pixel alignment, you can activate or deactivate the adjustments or reset them.

The "LCD Alignment"-submenu will appear now permanently in the "Advanced"-Submenu until you deactivate "Bit 5" in DIP-SW 6.

The function of the other bits and DIP-Switches is unknown so far...I will play with them a bit and then report here...

Warning: As the function of the other bits and DIP-Switches is unknown, any change might cause problems and/or void warranty...so use it on your own risk...!

Best wishes from good old germany
Michael

Many thanks!

I applied this change to the Home Cinema 3010 projector and I was able to correct the red LCD alignment issue on my second projector after exchanging the first one due to the same issue.

The enabled LCD Alignment sub-menu option shows under Extended menu with the Home Cinema 3010 projector.
post #306 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

Epson boldly advertises motorized pixel alignment on their 5010 "Key Feature" page:

[*]Amazingly sharp, crisp images -- motorized pixel alignment
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...sku=V11H398020

You mention above that you were "able to determine that moving 8 horizontal increments is the equivalent of one pixel". I assume you mean that one increment is equal to one-eighth of a pixel. This is consistent with what I observe. If so, how would you imagine that software could cause 1/8th or any fraction of a pixel to light up?

However Epson's pixel alignment works, I found that converging the 5010 to be very effective which is a good thing since out-of-the box convergence on my unit was off by nearly 2 R/G pixels throughout much of the screen. (B/G convergence was better.) I also found Epson's pixel alignment to be reletively easy. When I was done the picture was noticeably sharper.

Epson's motorized convergence was one of the main reasons I decided to get the 5010 and at least on my unit, it lived up to my expectations.

Can teach how to adjust it? I only notice very slight red at side line but dont understand how to adjust it. I have disney wow calibration disc but no matter how i adjust, the line wont get white. I chg left side, right side color chg.
post #307 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 PM
dna
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbad2000 View Post

Can teach how to adjust it? I only notice very slight red at side line but dont understand how to adjust it. I have disney wow calibration disc but no matter how i adjust, the line wont get white. I chg left side, right side color chg.

For pixel alignment (convergence), no calibration disc is needed (or even an option) as Epson displays its own grid pattern. Instructions can be found near the beginning of this thread.

Of course, the first thing to do is make sure your projector is focused and properly centered and aligned on your screen. It would be best if you zoomed in a little just during this test so that all pixels are visible on the screen, none on the mask. Zooming in and out shouldn't have any effect on pixel alignment.

Once you choose a color (I suggest doing red first because it is more visible than blue) and choose a pattern (I strongly suggest R/G, not R/B/G), and enable the alignment function, the first option that comes up is the upper left corner. You will see a square in the corner.

To test that pixel alignment is working for you, press the left cursor button 24 times. It will display "-24" in the "H" row on the screen to the lower right. (I'm doing this all from memory so I hope I'm getting it all right.) You should now see that the red vertical line in the upper left corner is several pixels to the left of the green vertical line. (Notice that the red lines are increasingly closer to the green the further to the right you look. By the time you get the far right side of the screen, the red vertical line hasn't moved at all. Now move the red line all the way in the right direction using the right cursor button until the lower right display in the "H" row shows 24. The red line has now moved several pixels to the right of the green line.

Repeat the above using the up and down cursor buttons and verify that the red line at the upper left corner moves up and down.

If this works then go back to the instructions at the beginning of this thread and converge your entire screen.

If the above still doesn't work let us know.

- David
post #308 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM
dna
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post

OK, what's the best way to know what screen sizes would be supported by the 5010 or 6010 at a given distance? I'm using this:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

The Projector Central calculator is probably the easiest way and it may be sufficient for a rough approximation but it certainly isn't the best or most accurate way. As Projector Central states, it uses manufacturer numbers, not the ones that they measured in their testing. It doesn't even tell you what Color mode (to use Epson's terminology) it used for its numbers. Nor does it tell you the numbers for Eco mode. It also doesn't tell you the numbers for 3D nor does it factor in loss of bulb brightness with age. They could do all that but they don't. If you make your screen size determination using Projector Central's calculator, I suggest you error on the small side.

The best way to determine the ideal screen size for your configuration is to do the math yourself using measured data from Projector Central, Projector Reviews, or other reviews.

- David
post #309 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Total newbie question regarding Projection Central Calc....I would also like to know the optimal distance to mount my projector (electricians are coming this week!). Is it not better to have the projector as close as possible to the screen? i.e. to provide the brightness possible display...or is it best to mount the projector in the 'middle' of the throw range zone? I have settled for a 110 inch screen, and my seating will be 14 ft back. For example, this calculator states that the middle of the throw range is 14' 8" for a 110 inch screen, however I could move the project to 12' and still zoom to 110 inches according to the calc...seems to be it would be best to move the projector to the most forward position. Thoughts?
Thx

post #310 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divedoc View Post

Hello to all of you guys...
I wish you a merry Xmas and a happy new year...And to all of you who have the 5010/6010 (or in good old Europe EH-TW 9000 (W)) with the pixel alignment missing in the normal menu, the new year may now become even a bit happier, as I have found a hint how u can activate the pixel alignment in the french Cin&Son-forum (cinetson.org/phpBB3/projecteurs-f2/epson-tw9000w-3199-euros-t34302-315.html)
1. Press the Menu-Button and hold for 8 sec.
2. Press the ESC-Button twice
3. Press the "Left-Arrow"-Button
4. Repeat Steps 1-3
Then a new submenu should appear in the "Advanced"-Submenu, where you can correct the pixel alignment...
In the french forum, they say to do like this could void warranty...as I am Anesthesiologist and no Attorney at law, I'm not quite sure, but I think this is unlikely, as Epson themselves have built in this feature...and any change to the alignment should be reset by a general reset of the PJ...As I am not at home until tomorrow afternoon, I can't try it myself at the moment, but I will try tomorrow and then report here...
Best wishes to you from good old germany...
Michael

Please continue with any new information. It's a tremendous service to users. And Epson too... once they realize that if they give people the tools (and a clear path back to original state in case of error) there will be a big decline in returns!
post #311 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 02:05 PM
dna
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet View Post

Total newbie question regarding Projection Central Calc....I would also like to know the optimal distance to mount my projector (electricians are coming this week!). Is it not better to have the projector as close as possible to the screen? i.e. to provide the brightness possible display...or is it best to mount the projector in the 'middle' of the throw range zone?

You certainly want a little bit of wiggle room to give you some slack to allow for round off errors and projector tolerances so you don't want to mount it at the extreme close/far position.

Secondly, most lenses are worse (less sharp, more geometric and chromatic distortion, etc.) at their extremes. However, that doesn't mean that the middle is always the best. It just depends on the lens. One projector reviewer (I don't remember who) suggested that a good compromise was approximately 1/3 in from the closest wide-angle position, the argument being that the light dropoff between full wide-angle and 1/3rd in is only about 12% on the Epson which is barely noticeable but the lens quality is probably close to its maximum. Makes sense to me, anyway.

- David
post #312 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 03:11 PM
dna
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have settled for a 110 inch screen ...

P.S. -- That's a pretty small screen for the Epson 5010. Even if it is a 1.0 gain screen, it is going to be very bright in 2D with the lens mounted near the wide-angle position. (3D will be great, though.) I take it you have ambient light issues.

- David
post #313 of 3434 Old 12-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

P.S. -- That's a pretty small screen for the Epson 5010. Even if it is a 1.0 gain screen, it is going to be very bright in 2D with the lens mounted near the wide-angle position. (3D will be great, though.) I take it you have ambient light issues.

I do have some situations where I may want to display with low ambient light (sporting events), and sometimes my wife likes to have a fire while we watch movies, but I do have control over lighting in the room for most of the time. I could go 120 inch but probably not much larger. Perhaps what I will do is position the projector so I could do larger if I wanted to later...Thx!

post #314 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 AM

If possible would like to reuse my Chief ceiling mount I used with my old BenQ PE8700+ I'm replacing. Can I?

What is the hole pattern on the top (real bottom)?

Also, for a 106 inch diagonal screen, and the projector mounted 11.5 feet, what should be the position of the lens relative to the top of the screen?

Any chance that my old in ceiling 25 ft DVI cable would still work with this PJ and 3D (with a DVI to HDMI adapter)?

Steve
post #315 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Hopefully somebody who has the optional External 3D Emitter can answer my question.

The 3D IR emissions from my 5010 projector interfere with some of my remote controls. I could solve this problem by having an external emitter facing away from my components....but only if I can turn off the emissions coming from the projector.

In the projector menu there is an option to set the 3D emissions to internal or external. However, setting it to external does not turn off the internal emissions.

I do not have a external emitter connected to the projector. I don't want to buy one if it won't solve my problem. Could this be why the internal emissions do not turn off, or are they always on even with the external emitter installed?

Karl S.
post #316 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm911 View Post

If possible would like to reuse my Chief ceiling mount I used with my old BenQ PE8700+ I'm replacing. Can I?

What is the hole pattern on the top (real bottom)?

Also, for a 106 inch diagonal screen, and the projector mounted 11.5 feet, what should be the position of the lens relative to the top of the screen?

Any chance that my old in ceiling 25 ft DVI cable would still work with this PJ and 3D (with a DVI to HDMI adapter)?

1. What model Chief mount do you have?

2. Go to the the Epson website and download the manual to review the mounting pattern.

3. IIRC, the projector can be placed anywhere around the screen area and about 1 foot above or below. I recommended placing it center if possible and no higher than the top of the screen. Using maximum lens shift is not desirable.

4. Are you saying you want to use HDMI from your equipment and convert it to DVI?
I believe the projector may only accept a 3D signal from the HDMI input. Consult the manual to verify.

post #317 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

So, I may be changing rooms where I'm going to be putting a projector. Previously, I had zeroed in on the 5010 or 6010, but the new room is not as long... the throw distance in the new room may be as short as 12 feet. Due to the height of the ceiling and the width of the room, I may only be able to go as wide as a 100-110" screen (diagonal).

Do you think the 5010 would be too bright, even in Eco mode? I won't have much ambient light to deal with.

Brett

post #318 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM

OK, I decided to go with a 120" 16x9 and will place the project back to 15 ft. My seating is at 14ft. My main concern on this projector (probably the 6010) is the reported fan noise...this issue might actually tilt me towards a JVC RS45 (have not demo'd either yet). I read a post of someone who actually returned his 5010 because of the noise (not good). Has anyone found a solution to reduce the fan noise noise? I could box it in at this point if needed....Thoughts? Being that I am not going for a super large screen, will running it in Eco mode be best? My new theater will have a premium sound system and I don't want to be dealing with a noisy fan that is for sure!

Thx,
Chris

post #319 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post

-Kevin

I guess some didn't know I had a calculator as well, www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com (I use reviewer numbers, not MFR numbers).

Hope that helps...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #320 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I guess some didn't know I had a calculator as well, www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com (I use reviewer numbers, not MFR numbers).

Hope that helps...

WOW.... That is awesome!!!

Brett

post #321 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
Thanks...

It's still in BETA, there is a lens shift bug that is adding +5 inches to some projectors, it only seems to do it on projectors with around 30-40 inches of lens shift though, so it doesn't apply to the Epson. Other than that bug, most only minor issues, a new update will be coming soon enough, pretty busy at my regular job though. It works a little easier in Firefox than IE due to the controls.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #322 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

OK, I decided to go with a 120" 16x9 and will place the project back to 15 ft. My seating is at 14ft. My main concern on this projector (probably the 6010) is the reported fan noise...this issue might actually tilt me towards a JVC RS45 (have not demo'd either yet). I read a post of someone who actually returned his 5010 because of the noise (not good). Has anyone found a solution to reduce the fan noise noise? I could box it in at this point if needed....Thoughts? Being that I am not going for a super large screen, will running it in Eco mode be best? My new theater will have a premium sound system and I don't want to be dealing with a noisy fan that is for sure!

Thx,
Chris

I read somewhere that Eco mode is around 20db.

Dave.

Topend

I listen to 50% HT and 50% 2 channel music.
post #323 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thx,
Chris

I projector 117" from 15 feet and ECO mode is plenty bright but when you watch 3D, the projector will use normal mode.
The fan can only be heard during silent or quiet dialog.
I measured the fan noise at 40db from 2 feet away.
*My room noise floor is 32db when there is no noise.
**Measurements were made using an iPad db meter. The radio shack db meter can't go below 40db.

post #324 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topend View Post

I read somewhere that Eco mode is around 20db.

Dave.

Still not sure how they come up with their measurements but ECO mode is virtually dead silent.

post #325 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

Hopefully somebody who has the optional External 3D Emitter can answer my question.

The 3D IR emissions from my 5010 projector interfere with some of my remote controls. I could solve this problem by having an external emitter facing away from my components....but only if I can turn off the emissions coming from the projector.

In the projector menu there is an option to set the 3D emissions to internal or external. However, setting it to external does not turn off the internal emissions.

I do not have a external emitter connected to the projector. I don't want to buy one if it won't solve my problem. Could this be why the internal emissions do not turn off, or are they always on even with the external emitter installed?

Finally watched a 3D movie last night with my 6010...have to say one of the best purchases I've made in a long time...and experienced the signal nterference issue with other components. One workaround is to use the tablet/wi-fi software available on most new recievers and dvd players. Worked like a charm on my Yamaha 671 unit. Cool thing is, its free and works on an Ipad/Ipod/Droid tablet or phone.

Theatre: Epson 6010, Carada BW CS 142", Yamaha RX-A3020, Amp: Emotiva XPA-5, Fr/Rr/Ctr: SVS Ultras, Pres: Def Tech: SM450/SM350, Rr Srd: Def Tech: SR-8040BP, Subs: Dual PB2000, Dual PB1000
BDR: Epson 3010, Vis Apex 135", Denon 4520, Fr/Rr/Ctr/Pres/WideInfinity RS-10/RS-5/CC3/RS-3(4), Subs: Dual PB2000
post #326 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Still not sure how they come up with their measurements but ECO mode is virtually dead silent.

Thx for that info...so is running in ECO mode recommended for my setup? Most of the reviews I have read don't really go into that much....I'm thinking the projector is bright enough that it doesn't need to run full bore at my distance, but I have no reference point....Thx!

post #327 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 PM

If you are having interference with your other ir remotes when the projector is in 3d mode switch the projector back to 2d for a moment while you use the remote on your other components. Then switch back to 3d mode
post #328 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thx for that info...so is running in ECO mode recommended for my setup? Most of the reviews I have read don't really go into that much....I'm thinking the projector is bright enough that it doesn't need to run full bore at my distance, but I have no reference point....Thx!

ECO mode should be fine as long as you have no ambient light.
Normal mode is needed to over come ambient light reflection/scatter or if you have a screen larger than 130" and a long throw distance.

Just be warned that you are forced to use Normal mode for 3D, which is needed to overcome the tint of the 3D glasses. I believe all projectors switch to Normal/high power mode for 3D.

post #329 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I would consider 20db to be dead silent.

Dave.

Topend

I listen to 50% HT and 50% 2 channel music.
post #330 of 3434 Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceko View Post

If you are having interference with your other ir remotes when the projector is in 3d mode switch the projector back to 2d for a moment while you use the remote on your other components. Then switch back to 3d mode

Good idea, especially since there is only one button on the remote to push.

Karl S.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page