post #3361 of 3372 Old 06-06-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach KG View Post

Looking for some quick feedback: when did you notice your original bulb start dimming on your 5010? I'm at 2 years with 1,600 hours and it's minimal (but noticeable). Can you really get the 4,000 to 5,000 hours suggested by Epson?
I have one of the original batch of 5010's shipped in early Dec.2011 with ~1300 hours on the original bulb and it's as bright as a new bulb.
*I have a new bulb I swap in periodically to see how much the original bulb is diming. So far, the original bulb diming is not noticeable.
Coach KG likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3372 Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerandy View Post

Well, knowing that they were just "refurbs" doesn't diminish the fact that for a ~$2500 purchase (brand new), I got three years worth of spotty service. My '73 Commando still looks great and runs fine at 41 years old.

Just had to say AWESOME bike!wink.gif

Sorry for your Epson troubles, I'd be pi**ed off too! I have the lowly 3010 and it's been great since December of 2011.

Ed
post #3363 of 3372 Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Just had to day AWESOME bike!wink.gif

I thought he was talking about a Jeep. confused.gifrolleyes.gif

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #3364 of 3372 Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 AM

Liked: 11
What! The guy with a Triumph in his Avatar's thinks of a Jeep! It was kinda' aimed at you Edgar. BTW, I have a '70 Daytona as well (yes a Triumph) working fine after 44 years except for its HDMI ports:D
old corps likes this.
post #3365 of 3372 Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerandy View Post

What! The guy with a Triumph in his Avatar's thinks of a Jeep! It was kinda' aimed at you Edgar. BTW, I have a '70 Daytona as well (yes a Triumph) working fine after 44 years except for its HDMI ports:D

Sweet! I love Mopars, and the Daytona is one of my dream cars:

Ha ha, just kidding. biggrin.gif I sold my Triumph (as well as my other motorcycle) when we started having kids a few years back, but I still hope to have another one someday. Nice bike you got though! That would be fun to cruise around on.

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #3366 of 3372 Old 06-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Liked: 11

Not exactly a cruiser, but fun!
post #3367 of 3372 Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post

I thought he was talking about a Jeep. confused.gifrolleyes.gif

Shame on you!rolleyes.gifsmile.gif

Ed
post #3368 of 3372 Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Had a bit of scare last week with my 5010. eek.gif
Projector started with the high fan noise, this has happened before but I just let it run it's cycle and it usually starts up, however this time the fan was running at an unusually high speed for ages and ages then it just stopped and the red lamp led lit up. I decided to switch off the PJ for a minute then switch back on, the PJ then started OK.
I put a 3d movie on and tried to switch to 3d mode, I then heard a horrible grinding noise and then up popped a warning on screen saying 'Cinema filter error call service'. I switched the PJ off and left it for a minute and switched back on. Again I heard the grinding noise and this time the PJ didn't start up at all, just the fan. Turned off the PJ and turned back on several times and still same thing each time.
Bummer, I thought something had failed inside causing all these problems.

Anyway as a last resort I decided to load up the latest 1.09 firmware. Put the PJ into update mode and uploaded the firmware successfully. I then switched off the PJ and then back on. This time both red lights on the PJ were lit. Oh dear I thought, but then realised I'd left the USB cable attached, so switched off, unplugged cable then switched back on and bam, back in business. The PJ started up normally and no grinding noise and the PJ has been working fine since...phew.biggrin.gif
Not sure if the firmware upgrade fixing it was a coincidence as the software on the PJ had got itself in a tizzy or something. But hope it doesn't happen again.
post #3369 of 3372 Old 06-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Oh well, problems have appeared again. I don't know what's going on with this pj. Now every time I change colour mode or go to 3d mode or back it makes a grinding noise. Sounds like the motor is slipping as the filter changes.
I don't use the auto iris and that seems to work fine, but not 100% what it is. Anyone got any ideas. Getting sick of this now it's not even heavily used.
Looks like I'm gonna have to strip this pj down and find out what the problem is.
post #3370 of 3372 Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post
Oh well, problems have appeared again. I don't know what's going on with this pj. Now every time I change colour mode or go to 3d mode or back it makes a grinding noise. Sounds like the motor is slipping as the filter changes.
I don't use the auto iris and that seems to work fine, but not 100% what it is. Anyone got any ideas. Getting sick of this now it's not even heavily used.
Looks like I'm gonna have to strip this pj down and find out what the problem is.
Yes, it sounds like your Cinema filter slide assy/motor is binding for some reason. Many projectors have this filter that slides into the light path when you are using the more color accurate modes.... (and then slides away when using the higher brightness viewing modes )this limits brightness a bit in these modes but helps compensate for the excessive green push that these high intensity bulbs put out and give you a better color balanced picture... If you are able to remove the covers, you should be able to locate this assembly and possibly see what is sticking...

Are you able to able to eliminate the grinding noise by staying in your higher brightness viewing modes only? Or does your projector do a homing procedure with the filter assembly every time you turn it ON?
post #3371 of 3372 Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 PM

Yeh it still does it even if I stay in high brightness modes without the filter. Also the filter retracts and then slides back to position each time the pj is started.
The strange thing is it still makes the noise when starting up even if the pj is in high brightness mode before switching off.

I have heard that the auto iris does some sort of reset each time the pj is turned regardless of its setting. I don't use it but it also works fine in normal operation with no odd noises.

I wish I could find something where someone else has disassembled one of these otherwise I'm going in blind.
post #3372 of 3372 Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post
Mine has made the short grinding noise(more like a short/fast(1/2 a second) series of clicking) for about the last 6 months only when the projector was initially turned on, lens cover opens, bulb is tuned on then you hear the noise.
I run in Natural mode and 3D Dynamic and I don't hear any grinding when the IRIS is pumping(Natural mode).

Mysteriously, I noticed the grinding noise stopped about 2-3 weeks ago when the temps stayed above 50.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page