post #3361 of 3427 Old 06-06-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach KG View Post

Looking for some quick feedback: when did you notice your original bulb start dimming on your 5010? I'm at 2 years with 1,600 hours and it's minimal (but noticeable). Can you really get the 4,000 to 5,000 hours suggested by Epson?
I have one of the original batch of 5010's shipped in early Dec.2011 with ~1300 hours on the original bulb and it's as bright as a new bulb.
*I have a new bulb I swap in periodically to see how much the original bulb is diming. So far, the original bulb diming is not noticeable.
Coach KG likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3427 Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerandy View Post

Well, knowing that they were just "refurbs" doesn't diminish the fact that for a ~$2500 purchase (brand new), I got three years worth of spotty service. My '73 Commando still looks great and runs fine at 41 years old.

Just had to say AWESOME bike!wink.gif

Sorry for your Epson troubles, I'd be pi**ed off too! I have the lowly 3010 and it's been great since December of 2011.

Ed
post #3363 of 3427 Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Just had to day AWESOME bike!wink.gif

I thought he was talking about a Jeep. confused.gifrolleyes.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #3364 of 3427 Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What! The guy with a Triumph in his Avatar's thinks of a Jeep! It was kinda' aimed at you Edgar. BTW, I have a '70 Daytona as well (yes a Triumph) working fine after 44 years except for its HDMI ports:D
old corps likes this.
post #3365 of 3427 Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerandy View Post

What! The guy with a Triumph in his Avatar's thinks of a Jeep! It was kinda' aimed at you Edgar. BTW, I have a '70 Daytona as well (yes a Triumph) working fine after 44 years except for its HDMI ports:D

Sweet! I love Mopars, and the Daytona is one of my dream cars:

Ha ha, just kidding. biggrin.gif I sold my Triumph (as well as my other motorcycle) when we started having kids a few years back, but I still hope to have another one someday. Nice bike you got though! That would be fun to cruise around on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3366 of 3427 Old 06-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Not exactly a cruiser, but fun!
post #3367 of 3427 Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post

I thought he was talking about a Jeep. confused.gifrolleyes.gif

Shame on you!rolleyes.gifsmile.gif

Ed
post #3368 of 3427 Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Had a bit of scare last week with my 5010. eek.gif
Projector started with the high fan noise, this has happened before but I just let it run it's cycle and it usually starts up, however this time the fan was running at an unusually high speed for ages and ages then it just stopped and the red lamp led lit up. I decided to switch off the PJ for a minute then switch back on, the PJ then started OK.
I put a 3d movie on and tried to switch to 3d mode, I then heard a horrible grinding noise and then up popped a warning on screen saying 'Cinema filter error call service'. I switched the PJ off and left it for a minute and switched back on. Again I heard the grinding noise and this time the PJ didn't start up at all, just the fan. Turned off the PJ and turned back on several times and still same thing each time.
Bummer, I thought something had failed inside causing all these problems.

Anyway as a last resort I decided to load up the latest 1.09 firmware. Put the PJ into update mode and uploaded the firmware successfully. I then switched off the PJ and then back on. This time both red lights on the PJ were lit. Oh dear I thought, but then realised I'd left the USB cable attached, so switched off, unplugged cable then switched back on and bam, back in business. The PJ started up normally and no grinding noise and the PJ has been working fine since...phew.biggrin.gif
Not sure if the firmware upgrade fixing it was a coincidence as the software on the PJ had got itself in a tizzy or something. But hope it doesn't happen again.
post #3369 of 3427 Old 06-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Oh well, problems have appeared again. I don't know what's going on with this pj. Now every time I change colour mode or go to 3d mode or back it makes a grinding noise. Sounds like the motor is slipping as the filter changes.
I don't use the auto iris and that seems to work fine, but not 100% what it is. Anyone got any ideas. Getting sick of this now it's not even heavily used.
Looks like I'm gonna have to strip this pj down and find out what the problem is.
post #3370 of 3427 Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post
Oh well, problems have appeared again. I don't know what's going on with this pj. Now every time I change colour mode or go to 3d mode or back it makes a grinding noise. Sounds like the motor is slipping as the filter changes.
I don't use the auto iris and that seems to work fine, but not 100% what it is. Anyone got any ideas. Getting sick of this now it's not even heavily used.
Looks like I'm gonna have to strip this pj down and find out what the problem is.
Yes, it sounds like your Cinema filter slide assy/motor is binding for some reason. Many projectors have this filter that slides into the light path when you are using the more color accurate modes.... (and then slides away when using the higher brightness viewing modes )this limits brightness a bit in these modes but helps compensate for the excessive green push that these high intensity bulbs put out and give you a better color balanced picture... If you are able to remove the covers, you should be able to locate this assembly and possibly see what is sticking...

Are you able to able to eliminate the grinding noise by staying in your higher brightness viewing modes only? Or does your projector do a homing procedure with the filter assembly every time you turn it ON?
post #3371 of 3427 Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 PM

Yeh it still does it even if I stay in high brightness modes without the filter. Also the filter retracts and then slides back to position each time the pj is started.
The strange thing is it still makes the noise when starting up even if the pj is in high brightness mode before switching off.

I have heard that the auto iris does some sort of reset each time the pj is turned regardless of its setting. I don't use it but it also works fine in normal operation with no odd noises.

I wish I could find something where someone else has disassembled one of these otherwise I'm going in blind.
post #3372 of 3427 Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Mine has made the short grinding noise(more like a short/fast(1/2 a second) series of clicking) for about the last 6 months only when the projector was initially turned on, lens cover opens, bulb is tuned on then you hear the noise.
I run in Natural mode and 3D Dynamic and I don't hear any grinding when the IRIS is pumping(Natural mode).

Mysteriously, I noticed the grinding noise stopped about 2-3 weeks ago when the temps stayed above 50.

post #3373 of 3427 Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vertical Yellow Stripe

For the past days a yellow stripe has started to appear on the screen which is 8 pixels wide and spans from top to bottom of the screen. It is uniformly yellow with a hard edge, but varies in intensity with the image on the screen. I suspect that it's actually because an equivalent area of dysfunction exists on the blue panel and so that area is not emitting any blue light. I confirmed this by filling the screen with a pure blue background using my PC and observing that the stripe was totally black.

Strangely the stripe is there at startup, then gradually disappears for about 90 minutes, then reappears permanently until power down. Just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience with their 5010. I am out of warranty now (this was actually a warranty re-replacement unit) so I'm hoping not to spend $$$ to get it fixed!

(Attached picture is of a full-white frame)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030941.png
Views:	21
Size:	851.0 KB
ID:	156241  
post #3374 of 3427 Old 07-11-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubob800 View Post
For the past days a yellow stripe has started to appear on the screen which is 8 pixels wide and spans from top to bottom of the screen. It is uniformly yellow with a hard edge, but varies in intensity with the image on the screen. I suspect that it's actually because an equivalent area of dysfunction exists on the blue panel and so that area is not emitting any blue light. I confirmed this by filling the screen with a pure blue background using my PC and observing that the stripe was totally black.

Strangely the stripe is there at startup, then gradually disappears for about 90 minutes, then reappears permanently until power down. Just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience with their 5010. I am out of warranty now (this was actually a warranty re-replacement unit) so I'm hoping not to spend $$$ to get it fixed!

(Attached picture is of a full-white frame)
The only way to not spend any money on a repair is to hope that it is simply a loose connector to the panel that is causing the problem... take it apart and see if you can locate it and then re seat it and hope for the best....
post #3375 of 3427 Old 07-11-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
The only way to not spend any money on a repair is to hope that it is simply a loose connector to the panel that is causing the problem... take it apart and see if you can locate it and then re seat it and hope for the best....
Thanks for the feedback...I think I'll pop the top this weekend and poke around inside. I'm thinking to start where the blue panel connects to the mainboard and then work towards the panel itself.

Though I hesitate to adjust the panel directly due to dust/alignment concerns.
post #3376 of 3427 Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post
Mine has made the short grinding noise(more like a short/fast(1/2 a second) series of clicking) for about the last 6 months only when the projector was initially turned on, lens cover opens, bulb is tuned on then you hear the noise.
I run in Natural mode and 3D Dynamic and I don't hear any grinding when the IRIS is pumping(Natural mode).

Mysteriously, I noticed the grinding noise stopped about 2-3 weeks ago when the temps stayed above 50.
I've sorted this now. I stripped the pj down to get to the cinema filter assembly. It turned out to be the gear box between the motor and sliding filter. I stripped it down to reveal a worn and damaged gear inside.
I managed to repair this and will post pics when I get chance.
Suffice to say everything is working now and no funny noises.
wei-wei likes this.
post #3377 of 3427 Old 07-12-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've sorted this now. I stripped the pj down to get to the cinema filter assembly. It turned out to be the gear box between the motor and sliding filter. I stripped it down to reveal a worn and damaged gear inside.
Congrats man! Excellent fix!
post #3378 of 3427 Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubob800 View Post
Thanks for the feedback...I think I'll pop the top this weekend and poke around inside...
Took it apart this weekend, removed and reattached the ribbon for the blue panel, but still staring at that yellow stripe. Looks like this one is going to cost me after all!

On a positive note, I was able to remove some dust blobs using cautious blasts from a can of compressed air.
post #3379 of 3427 Old 07-16-2014, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi ashyt16,

Mine pj has got the same problem now. It poped up "Epson cinema filter" error message when switch back from high brightness mode(3D,Dynamic,...) to low brightness mode(Neutral), then image color became unnormal. Would you please post pics and share with us how you fixed it. Thanks in advance.
post #3380 of 3427 Old 07-16-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei-wei View Post
Hi ashyt16,

Mine pj has got the same problem now. It poped up "Epson cinema filter" error message when switch back from high brightness mode(3D,Dynamic,...) to low brightness mode(Neutral), then image color became unnormal. Would you please post pics and share with us how you fixed it. Thanks in advance.
Can you hear the filter grinding/sticking?
post #3381 of 3427 Old 07-16-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Can you hear the filter grinding/sticking?
Thanks for your quick response!

Yes, I can hear the filter grinding/sticking noise.
post #3382 of 3427 Old 07-16-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei-wei View Post
Thanks for your quick response!

Yes, I can hear the filter grinding/sticking noise.
Ok I will post up the pics as soon as I can.
post #3383 of 3427 Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Ok I will post up the pics as soon as I can.
I finally got around to posting the pics up for the 'Cinema filter' repair and made a little guide out of it. Hope this helps you.

Epson 5010/6010 'Cinema filter Error', grinding noise, red light fix with pics
post #3384 of 3427 Old 07-20-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I finally got around to posting the pics up for the 'Cinema filter' repair and made a little guide out of it. Hope this helps you.

Epson 5010/6010 'Cinema filter Error', grinding noise, red light fix with pics
Thanks for sharing detailed repairing procedure. It seems a little difficult and complex to do this repair for average person. I don't know if I have good ability enough to do this repair or not? But, I still want to try when my pj cinema filter dead wholly.
post #3385 of 3427 Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 PM

It's been a while since I've posted on this thread but I have a question: Recently my 5010 starting acting up, taking a long time to warm up, more than usual. But eventually the picture would pop up and everything would run smoothly. Then one day about two weeks ago, my projector was stuck in warm up mode. Unplugged it, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, try and start it up again and nothing, same warm up stage. I eventually called Epson support, they sent me instructions on how to do the firmware update. While on the phone with support I performed the update as instructed, then I got the the three flashing lights, it completely locked up.
Epson support tells me that they are going to send me another projector and I am supposed to ship them my old one back. They put a $500 hold on my CC. I went home today for lunch and what do I see on my porch, TWO replacement projectors. What do I do? I'm going to test each of them to make sure they both work and compare picture qualities. But other than that I am going to send my old one back to them... What would you guys do with the 2nd projector? Morally I should send the 2nd one back to... Do you think they realize they sent me 2 replacements?
post #3386 of 3427 Old 07-30-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by More_Cow_Bell View Post
I went home today for lunch and what do I see on my porch, TWO replacement projectors. What do I do? I'm going to test each of them to make sure they both work and compare picture qualities. But other than that I am going to send my old one back to them... What would you guys do with the 2nd projector? Morally I should send the 2nd one back to... Do you think they realize they sent me 2 replacements?
I believe this question goes in the "Moral dilemmas and crises of character" subforum. But it seems like you already know what you should do.
old corps likes this.

post #3387 of 3427 Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
With some people's luck with refurb units you will be lucky to get one good one out of those two.
post #3388 of 3427 Old 08-01-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

So, in essence you have a chance to try out 2 projectors to see which one works best.. Pretty cool...After that, I guess you have a decision to make... It does appear that they do have your credit card information.... so at some point if/when they do realize their mistake, they will want the extra one back. And if they don't get it, you will most likely be charged an exorbitant price.. probably not the current value price of these models either... I guess you could just play a waiting game for a few months; just sit on it and see what happens.. Manufacturers/shipping departments do make errors such as this from time to time and you may just end up getting this extra projector.... but then again maybe not. Just out of curiosity, are you actually still under the original warranty yet? Or did Epson already do you a solid by sending a replacement (or 2!) out of warranty because the firmware update went badly?
post #3389 of 3427 Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
So, in essence you have a chance to try out 2 projectors to see which one works best.. Pretty cool...After that, I guess you have a decision to make... It does appear that they do have your credit card information.... so at some point if/when they do realize their mistake, they will want the extra one back. And if they don't get it, you will most likely be charged an exorbitant price.. probably not the current value price of these models either... I guess you could just play a waiting game for a few months; just sit on it and see what happens.. Manufacturers/shipping departments do make errors such as this from time to time and you may just end up getting this extra projector.... but then again maybe not. Just out of curiosity, are you actually still under the original warranty yet? Or did Epson already do you a solid by sending a replacement (or 2!) out of warranty because the firmware update went badly?
My warranty was up about 3 months ago. I called Epson, explained my situation. Basically told them I rarely use the projector other than weekends to watch a movie or sporting events, which is all true. It's downstairs in my theater. The tech asked me to gauge how many hours were on it and I said somewhere around 800-900 hrs which is a pretty good estimate. The tech had me do the firmware update and while on the phone with them the old one just locked up and gave me the flashing lights. That's when he said, we are going to send you a replacement projector for my inconvenience. Two days later I had two projectors on my porch.

also, I just wanted to check with you guys. I powered up one of the replacement projectors last night (2nd one will be powered up tonight for a test) and it showed firmware V110, is that the most current firmware update?
post #3390 of 3427 Old 08-01-2014, 01:05 PM

The devil on my shoulder is telling me to box up both the new refurbed ones I just got, sell them on ebay and purchase a new Epson 5030 and pocket some cash.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page