post #3391 of 3418 Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 PM
DTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by More_Cow_Bell View Post
The devil on my shoulder is telling me to box up both the new refurbed ones I just got, sell them on ebay and purchase a new Epson 5030 and pocket some cash.
I vote go with the Devil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3418 Old 08-12-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to vent about this piece of crap Epson 5010 projector I purchased so please bear with me.

I bought this projector right when it came out. I spent around $3,000 for it or whatever the price was when they first hit the market. I then spent another $500 on a professional calibration.

The first day I set it up, I had a dead pixel right in the center of the screen. It's obviously impossible to see when you're watching TV or a movie, but it just annoyed me that it had a dead pixel right out of the box.

Then about 9 months ago the projector started acting up. Every once in a blue moon it would either not come out of the warm up mode or it would suddenly shut off in the middle of a movie. These problems only happened 2-3 times over the span of a few months. I didn't think anything of it. I just coughed them up as weird "computer glitches."

Two nights ago this pile of crap wouldn't fire out of warm up mode. The blue status light would just blink and the fan would run. I called Epson and they couldn't tell me fast enough that the projector was out of warranty. My warranty expired January 1st of this year...how convenient.

The rep told me the projector just needed the latest firmware update and it would likely fix the issue. I installed the latest firmware and guess what? Not only did it not fix it, now the projector fan doesn't turn on. The blue status light blinks for about 20 seconds and then the unit just shuts off completely. The magic firmware update didn't do diddly squat.

The rep told me that if the firmware update doesn't work I'll have to take it to an Epson repair center in my area and have it fixed at my own expense. The rep emphasized that it would be my expense and not Epson's. The rep was also kind enough to tell me that the repair might be more expensive than just buying a new projector. Gee thanks.

So as it stands now, I have a $3,000 paper weight hanging from my ceiling after just 2 1/2 years of infrequent use. I use it about an hour a day so there is roughly only 900 hours on this machine! I'm crossing my fingers that the repair center will be able to fix it and that the cost will be under $750. If it's more than that, I'll just throw this pile in the trash and NEVER buy an Epson product of any kind again. A $3,000 projector should last more than 900 hours of usage. What a crock.

Travis
post #3393 of 3418 Old 08-12-2014, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you tried unplugging it for a couple of minutes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanslooten View Post
I need to vent about this piece of crap Epson 5010 projector I purchased so please bear with me.

I bought this projector right when it came out. I spent around $3,000 for it or whatever the price was when they first hit the market. I then spent another $500 on a professional calibration.

The first day I set it up, I had a dead pixel right in the center of the screen. It's obviously impossible to see when you're watching TV or a movie, but it just annoyed me that it had a dead pixel right out of the box.

Then about 9 months ago the projector started acting up. Every once in a blue moon it would either not come out of the warm up mode or it would suddenly shut off in the middle of a movie. These problems only happened 2-3 times over the span of a few months. I didn't think anything of it. I just coughed them up as weird "computer glitches."

Two nights ago this pile of crap wouldn't fire out of warm up mode. The blue status light would just blink and the fan would run. I called Epson and they couldn't tell me fast enough that the projector was out of warranty. My warranty expired January 1st of this year...how convenient.

The rep told me the projector just needed the latest firmware update and it would likely fix the issue. I installed the latest firmware and guess what? Not only did it not fix it, now the projector fan doesn't turn on. The blue status light blinks for about 20 seconds and then the unit just shuts off completely. The magic firmware update didn't do diddly squat.

The rep told me that if the firmware update doesn't work I'll have to take it to an Epson repair center in my area and have it fixed at my own expense. The rep emphasized that it would be my expense and not Epson's. The rep was also kind enough to tell me that the repair might be more expensive than just buying a new projector. Gee thanks.

So as it stands now, I have a $3,000 paper weight hanging from my ceiling after just 2 1/2 years of infrequent use. I use it about an hour a day so there is roughly only 900 hours on this machine! I'm crossing my fingers that the repair center will be able to fix it and that the cost will be under $750. If it's more than that, I'll just throw this pile in the trash and NEVER buy an Epson product of any kind again. A $3,000 projector should last more than 900 hours of usage. What a crock.

Travis

Last edited by Bruceko; 08-12-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3394 of 3418 Old 08-13-2014, 06:13 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
I'm on my third Epson projector (8100-->7500UB-->5010) and so far I've not had any problems and I still can't believe how good the picture looks on my 5010. But stories like yours always cause me to be a little worried. Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #3395 of 3418 Old 08-13-2014, 08:19 AM

@Bruceko - I've tried everything under the sun at this point. Nothing I do can get this out of the warm up mode. I just talked to an Epson repair center and they said it could very well be the main board, which would mean the projector is essentially shot. He said that because the firmware update should have worked. I have to take it in tomorrow to have them look at it. I'm not very hopeful.
@Edgar - Up until this projector, I have been a diehard Epson fan. I owned the 1080UB model several years back and it was rock solid. I never had an issue with it...which is why I felt totally confident updating to the 5010. That was a huge mistake. I should have kept the 1080UB.

Travis
post #3396 of 3418 Old 08-13-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I got my third 5010, maybe 4th. The firmware update bricked mine too. I took it to a service center and they got Epson to replace it even though it was just out of warranty. Still I had lost my trust. I picked up a Sony 55 and am much happier with it. I will save the 5010 for emergency backup.
post #3397 of 3418 Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 AM

Liked: 16
I'm always a bit uncomfortable doing a firmware update on any expensive electronics since I've had a few bad experiences over the years. Nothing on the scale of bricking a $1700 projector, but thanks for sharing your experience; I'll probably not do any firmware update on my 5010 unless absolutely essential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #3398 of 3418 Old 08-13-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Been reading this thread since last night. I was pointed to this forum from another member on another forum. I bought this projector from Amazon and received $100 amazon card for the purchase. I have been doing research for the past week or so and decided on this one to keep my budget down and the reviews were just as good as some $200+.

Anyways, I have a question to my setup. I will be mounting this from the ceiling and I am using this site http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...o.htm?add=7723 to get my specs.

I got an elite electric 100" screen black case http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

To get 100" i need to hang the projector 11' 11" with an 8" drop, that's not a problem. However about 6' 6" in front of where I have to mount the pj, I have a 13" drop in my ceiling due to ducting.

So where i am mounting the screen would be on this drop as far back as it can go. Now I figure with the screen I should get about 4" of drop before the actual screen (this is taking into consideration the part where the screen roll up into and the couple inches of empty space before the screen), following me?, hope so. Ok so now to my screen there will be 17" drop from where the pj will be, I can extend the mount down 9" and that would put me 8" above the screen. Will the ceiling drop obstruct the pj?

maybe ms paint will work.....
post #3399 of 3418 Old 08-13-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mount the projector and turn it on before mounting the screen, then you know.
post #3400 of 3418 Old 08-13-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post
Mount the projector and turn it on before mounting the screen, then you know.
I will. But reading on the screen, it says 10" of black space and my ceiling mount starts at 16". Obviously I didn't read very well lol. Anyways I think it'll work out perfect if not I can always drop the screen a bit but the pj will drop past the 13" dropped ceiling.
post #3401 of 3418 Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog22 View Post
I will. But reading on the screen, it says 10" of black space and my ceiling mount starts at 16". Obviously I didn't read very well lol. Anyways I think it'll work out perfect if not I can always drop the screen a bit but the pj will drop past the 13" dropped ceiling.

Yep, you'll be fine.

Ed (another Devil Dog-an OLD one!)

S/F!
post #3402 of 3418 Old 08-14-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Yep, you'll be fine.

Ed (another Devil Dog-an OLD one!)

S/F!
Semper Fi!
post #3403 of 3418 Old 08-15-2014, 02:09 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Travis
Did you have any other symptoms, noises etc, before the firmware update?
Do the firmware update again then when you turn the pj on listen for the cinema filter engaging. If you can't hear it this could be the problem why it doesn't start up.
I could create these symptoms when I was repairing mine. If the pj detects a hardware fault when starting up, it will just shut down with blinking blue lights.
post #3404 of 3418 Old 08-15-2014, 09:14 PM

@wnielsenbb - That would be great if my local Epson repair center goes to bat for me too with Epson but I'm not counting on it. They didn't seem very motivated to help me out. The guy basically said it will either be fixable or I'll have a dead projector. He didn't say he'd try to twist Epson's arm for me. It sucks, though, because I'm only just 8 months past my warranty. I should have bought an extended warranty on this thing.
@ashyt16 - I had no other symptoms. I would turn it on and the blue status light would just blink forever - while the fan was going. No other noises were made and nothing else happened (i.e. the lens door never opened up). It was the same symptoms after the firmware update except it would shut down after 60 seconds. The blue light wouldn't blink forever and the fan wouldn't keep running. The whole thing would just shut down suddenly after 60 seconds and the temp and lamp indicator lights would blink orange. The firmware update seemed to have made things worse.

Either way, I full expect to be screwed. The repair center is supposed to contact me next week with their diagnosis. I'm already looking at other projectors and dare I say it...plasma TV's. I know that's sacrilege in this forum but I'm getting tired of maintaining these projectors. The $450 calibrations every 3 years. The $200+ light bulb replacements. Dead pixels. Projectors dying just out of warranty. It's getting old. I think a 64" plasma TV would do me just fine at this point. I'd rather have a great reliable picture for years to come on a smaller screen than deal with all these maintenance issues. I'm not sure yet but I'm considering all options at this point.

Travis
post #3405 of 3418 Old 08-15-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Epson should be ashamed. This blue blinking light problem has affected MANY of us 5010/6010 owners and I've seen no evidence the firmware update did anything about it. For me it comes and goes. But it isn't like a power supply failure or something like that, there is something FLAKEY about these projectors that to me sure sound like manufacturer/design defects which Epson has never properly addressed. I would feel the same as you and would never buy an Epson product again.

I have a 6010 whose warranty is coming up 2/2015 and you really have me thinking about selling it PRIOR to warranty expiring.
post #3406 of 3418 Old 08-16-2014, 02:02 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
@wnielsenbb - That would be great if my local Epson repair center goes to bat for me too with Epson but I'm not counting on it. They didn't seem very motivated to help me out. The guy basically said it will either be fixable or I'll have a dead projector. He didn't say he'd try to twist Epson's arm for me. It sucks, though, because I'm only just 8 months past my warranty. I should have bought an extended warranty on this thing.
@ashyt16 - I had no other symptoms. I would turn it on and the blue status light would just blink forever - while the fan was going. No other noises were made and nothing else happened (i.e. the lens door never opened up). It was the same symptoms after the firmware update except it would shut down after 60 seconds. The blue light wouldn't blink forever and the fan wouldn't keep running. The whole thing would just shut down suddenly after 60 seconds and the temp and lamp indicator lights would blink orange. The firmware update seemed to have made things worse.

Either way, I full expect to be screwed. The repair center is supposed to contact me next week with their diagnosis. I'm already looking at other projectors and dare I say it...plasma TV's. I know that's sacrilege in this forum but I'm getting tired of maintaining these projectors. The $450 calibrations every 3 years. The $200+ light bulb replacements. Dead pixels. Projectors dying just out of warranty. It's getting old. I think a 64" plasma TV would do me just fine at this point. I'd rather have a great reliable picture for years to come on a smaller screen than deal with all these maintenance issues. I'm not sure yet but I'm considering all options at this point.

Travis
what I meant was did you have any other symptoms BEFORE you started getting the flashing lights. Did experience any undue noises or grinding?.
I had pretty much the same symptoms as you before I repaired mine and now it is fine.
I would consider popping the case off and checking the cinema filter isn't stuck as this could be the source of the problem.
The pj will not start up with this fault, it will shut down.

Last edited by ashyt16; 08-16-2014 at 02:06 AM.
post #3407 of 3418 Old 08-16-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine would sometimes come on after letting it sit for like 5 minutes in blue light mode. Sometimes unplugging it completely and plugging it back in would fix it.
I REALLY love this Sony vpl-hw55es. Besides being more reliable than the Epson, the image is so much nicer, and most importantly for me, there is no SDE. It looks close enough to 4k for me. It does suck I have my fourth Epson just sitting here though.
post #3408 of 3418 Old 08-16-2014, 07:39 PM

Absolutely no symptoms prior to this. It was literally working flawlessly one day and the next day it wouldn't turn on.

Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post
what I meant was did you have any other symptoms BEFORE you started getting the flashing lights. Did experience any undue noises or grinding?.
I had pretty much the same symptoms as you before I repaired mine and now it is fine.
I would consider popping the case off and checking the cinema filter isn't stuck as this could be the source of the problem.
The pj will not start up with this fault, it will shut down.
post #3409 of 3418 Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Travis
Have you tried another bulb?

Ever since I had my bulb switched out almost 2 years ago, I've only had this sort of issue twice, usually on cold days.
May be they can try this at the repair facility.

post #3410 of 3418 Old 08-18-2014, 06:04 PM

No, I couldn't choose that option because I didn't have any spare bulbs. I hope the repair center is smart enough to try that though!

Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post
Have you tried another bulb?

Ever since I had my bulb switched out almost 2 years ago, I've only had this sort of issue twice, usually on cold days.
May be they can try this at the repair facility.
post #3411 of 3418 Old 08-20-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I need to vent about this piece of crap Epson 5010 projector I purchased so please bear with me...
I'm right there with you on on that one, Travis! I also bought the 5010 right when it came out, and as I recently mentioned on these forums, I now have a permanent yellow stripe that runs down the full length of the screen. To make matters worse, in the past week the stripe has been joined by a neighboring magenta stripe which is even more noticeable and annoying. I haven't had it serviced yet because I'm 8mo. out of warranty and am basically sure it's a mainboard problem, which will ultimately mean the unit isn't worth repairing (an $1800 part because it is ONLY sold in conjunction with the full optical assembly). And to think I'm only 3200 hours into the first bulb!

I'm definitely pissed about my experience with this projector. Sadly the original unit died after only 6 months so this is actually a replacement. To Epson's credit they did ship me a new-in-box replacement, but ultimately quality warranty service is not a substitute for a quality product.

I find it amusing how many people in this thread have gone through three or four replacement units like nothing's wrong. My last Mitsubishi projector lasted me five years and three bulbs, all with no issues and no complaints. Clearly the 5010 had some lingering QC issues and simply wasn't ready for prime time. Hopefully Epson did not punish the 5020/5030 owners the same way, but regardless I won't be making the mistake of buying Epson again.

Last edited by ubob800; 08-20-2014 at 11:38 PM.
post #3412 of 3418 Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 AM

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear you're SOL too. I'm still waiting to hear back from the repair center here. They are really backed up so I may not hear anything for another week. I'll update this thread as soon as I hear something so if anyone else has this issue, they will know what may be the issue with their 5010.

Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubob800 View Post
I'm right there with you on on that one, Travis! I also bought the 5010 right when it came out, and as I recently mentioned on these forums, I now have a permanent yellow stripe that runs down the full length of the screen. To make matters worse, in the past week the stripe has been joined by a neighboring magenta stripe which is even more noticeable and annoying. I haven't had it serviced yet because I'm 8mo. out of warranty and am basically sure it's a mainboard problem, which will ultimately mean the unit isn't worth repairing (an $1800 part because it is ONLY sold in conjunction with the full optical assembly). And to think I'm only 3200 hours into the first bulb!

I'm definitely pissed about my experience with this projector. Sadly the original unit died after only 6 months so this is actually a replacement. To Epson's credit they did ship me a new-in-box replacement, but ultimately quality warranty service is not a substitute for a quality product.

I find it amusing how many people in this thread have gone through three or four replacement units like nothing's wrong. My last Mitsubishi projector lasted me five years and three bulbs, all with no issues and no complaints. Clearly the 5010 had some lingering QC issues and simply wasn't ready for prime time. Hopefully Epson did not punish the 5020/5030 owners the same way, but regardless I won't be making the mistake of buying Epson again.
post #3413 of 3418 Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM

Well looks like my 5010 also took a crap after 1 yr of occasional grinding on startup now it jjst clicks and flashes both red led lights. What a piece of junk and im also 1 month out of warranty. Looks like im going to go panasonic next
post #3414 of 3418 Old 08-25-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyk4 View Post
Well looks like my 5010 also took a crap after 1 yr of occasional grinding on startup now it jjst clicks and flashes both red led lights. What a piece of junk and im also 1 month out of warranty. Looks like im going to go panasonic next
That's exactly what happened to my original unit. Grinding on startup (~4 months) and, ultimately, death (~6mos). Anyway, since it was under warranty I exchanged it. No doubt this is of little consolation to you but I figured to mention it for what it's worth.

As with most warranty exchanges, I was unable to learn what the problem was after I returned the unit. But if it's mechanical in nature you might be able to have it repaired for (relatively) minimal expense. If you're lucky, it might just be the auto iris assembly which is only a ~$50 part.
post #3415 of 3418 Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 PM

Well after emailing epson 3 times they said they would replace the unit as long as i can show im only two months over warranty expiration so im gonna send a copy of receipt tomorrow and see what happens crossing fingers lol
post #3416 of 3418 Old 08-31-2014, 04:01 PM

I wanted to provide an update on my projector. After sitting in the repair shop for over a week, they finally called to tell me that the "cinema/optical filter" needed to be replaced. The part is only $40 but the repair shop is charging me $275 in labor. I know it's a rip off but whatever. It beats paying $2,500+ for a new projector. I won't get my projector for another couple weeks because they are apparently backed up right now. Once I get it back I'll chime in here to let you all know if that filter replacement worked. With my luck on this project so far, I'll bring it home and it still won't work!

On another note, I have to tell a funny story that demonstrates how pathetic Epson's customer service has become. I ordered an air filter from their website. I figured since I'm putting in a new "cinema/optical" filter in I might as well put in a fresh air filter too. When the box came from Epson it was empty! They literally shipped me an empty box. When I called to tell them this they were totally confused. They didn't know what to say so the guy literally told me I had to call back in 2 days for an update. His response didn't make any sense at all so I asked him to repeat himself. He said I had to wait two days and call him back for an update. Whatever. I hung up the phone.

The next day I got a call from an Epson rep asking about the issue I was having. I told her the story - that they shipped an empty box. She was equally dumb founded and said I had two choices. I could wait for them to "ask the driver" to get a refund or I could get a replacement part. I asked her what she meant by "ask the driver" and she said they would have to talk to the delivery company to see what happened (in this case FedEx). At any rate, I told her to just ship me a replacement part. With my luck I'm sure I'll get another empty box in a couple weeks...lol.

Travis
post #3417 of 3418 Old 09-07-2014, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach KG View Post
Looking for some quick feedback: when did you notice your original bulb start dimming on your 5010? I'm at 2 years with 1,600 hours and it's minimal (but noticeable). Can you really get the 4,000 to 5,000 hours suggested by Epson?
My lamp has 4600 hours on it. Picture is still bright enough using living room and high lamp. Approximately 12 FtL. Speaking of which looking at ordering a bulb off of amazon. Anyone have any experience there?

Adcom GFA-5802 for sale

PSA XS30-SE for sale
post #3418 of 3418 Old 09-08-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I have got bulbs off Amazon, just be sure to only order OEM bulbs
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page