Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #3451 of 3469 Old 11-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wrote with the german epson support today about the latest Firmware 1.11.
The 1.11 Firmware in only for the youngest TW9000 generation.
Be careful updating older TW9000 if you get the Firmware.

In Germany only the support updates the Firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3469 Old 11-13-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Question

Epson 6010 has been working fine but tonight when trying to power it up here's what transpired

1. Hit power button on remote
2. Blue light flashes, I hear a faint grinding sound (I'm not the one who normally powers it up so I'm not sure if that's "normal") then flashing blue light goes out and lamp/temp red lights flash for a few seconds and go out. The lamp cover never opened.
3. Hit power button on unit itself, same exact thing happens.
4. Unplug the projector for a few minutes, plug it back in, hit power button on unit itself, same exact thing happens.

Any thoughts?

Luckily mine is under warranty (barely). If I go for the option of Epson sending a replacement projector how do I know how old the lamp would be in it (or would it be new?). My lamp isn't very old so I wouldn't want some old junker lamp. Does Epson require an in person signature for the replacement meaning they do fast shipping but someone must be home to sign? If the replacement is a junker could I then send my original projector back to have it repaired and return the refurb replacement? Mine has perfect convergence and has a gorgeous picture so I don't want some piece of junk.

Thanks.

Last edited by WynsWrld98; 11-13-2014 at 10:43 PM.
post #3453 of 3469 Old 11-14-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Luckily mine is under warranty (barely). If I go for the option of Epson sending a replacement projector how do I know how old the lamp would be in it (or would it be new?). My lamp isn't very old so I wouldn't want some old junker lamp. Does Epson require an in person signature for the replacement meaning they do fast shipping but someone must be home to sign? If the replacement is a junker could I then send my original projector back to have it repaired and return the refurb replacement? Mine has perfect convergence and has a gorgeous picture so I don't want some piece of junk.
post #3454 of 3469 Old 11-14-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
I have never experienced an Epson Refurb.

One thing I know is the LAMP is NEW from all the reports
I have read. Other than that - IT IS A CRAP SHOOT.

Mine is out of Warranty and when I had a problem - I
said I want my EXACT PJ repaired. Epson told me of a
local service facility. THANK GOD - I did not need it.
post #3455 of 3469 Old 11-17-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@drhankz - Waiting for details about 1.11 firmware and possible improvements through it on 5010 :-)
post #3456 of 3469 Old 11-17-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post
@drhankz - Waiting for details about 1.11 firmware and possible improvements through it on 5010 :-)
Definitely would like to know more.
post #3457 of 3469 Old 11-21-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had my 5010e replaced for free when it was just out of warranty a couple months back because of the lens binding issue and now my "new" unit is also flashing red lights after trying to start again. After reading this thread i tried to upgrade firmware and amazingly it is back to life. THANK GOODNESS FOR THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!!
old corps likes this.
post #3458 of 3469 Old 11-21-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyk4 View Post
I had my 5010e replaced for free when it was just out of warranty a couple months back because of the lens binding issue and now my "new" unit is also flashing red lights after trying to start again. After reading this thread i tried to upgrade firmware and amazingly it is back to life. THANK GOODNESS FOR THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!!
Which version was installed and which version did you upload to resolve the issue?

post #3459 of 3469 Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM

I believe 1.04 was installed but i never checked and installed 1.09
post #3460 of 3469 Old 11-21-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Can version 1.11 can be installed safely on TWD9000?
I belive I have 1.05...

Thanks!
post #3461 of 3469 Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 AM

Liked: 0
Hi Folks, I just found this forum and thread.

Epson 6010 owner here, getting ready to possibly be on my third replacement unit.

My original 6010 stopped booting and the two red lights started flashing about 2 months after I bought it (in 2013). Now the replacement unit that I received from Epson last year has gone out -- same two red flashing lights at bootup.

I am calling Epson again today to get another. My questions are:

Does anyone have any factual information about the pool of refurbished 6010s that Epson keeps?

Something just doesn't pass the smell test here. Am I just having a string of bad luck or is this a common issue with the 6010?

Thanks
post #3462 of 3469 Old 12-01-2014, 10:21 AM

Third unit on the way. Another hardware failure. I asked the CSR at Epson if this was a common issue with the 6010. She did not confirm or deny -- just that if it was
a common issue, then a notice "would be posted on Epson's website."
post #3463 of 3469 Old 12-02-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Grinding sound at startup before red lights flash? If so probably cinema filter which have gears that wrar out
post #3464 of 3469 Old 12-07-2014, 02:19 PM

i had the same exact thing happen on my 5010 and installing the new firmware fixed mine but i didnt have any grinding on startup the second time but if there is a grinding sound or was a grinding sound it is the cinema filter i believe and was gonna cost me 500 to have fixed at shop good luck.
post #3465 of 3469 Old 12-09-2014, 07:43 PM

So I have now installed my 3rd 6010 (first from dealer, two from Epson "factory refurbished"), since September 2013.

I have lost my patience. This replacement 6010 has three flaws (1) it shuts off for no reason after about 5 minutes (or longer, whenever it wants to), (2) there is an intermittent foreign noise coming from the unit when it is on that is distracting, and (3) the adjustment wheel for image up/down is loose and does not turn correctly.

Has anyone else had three defective units?!? I just installed the unit this Sunday and it is not anything related to what I'm doing. The first two were professionally installed and leveled. Another replacement is not going to fix this; I'm asking for my money back or a new projector.
post #3466 of 3469 Old 12-10-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvcus View Post
So I have now installed my 3rd 6010 (first from dealer, two from Epson "factory refurbished"), since September 2013.

I have lost my patience. This replacement 6010 has three flaws (1) it shuts off for no reason after about 5 minutes (or longer, whenever it wants to), (2) there is an intermittent foreign noise coming from the unit when it is on that is distracting, and (3) the adjustment wheel for image up/down is loose and does not turn correctly.

Has anyone else had three defective units?!? I just installed the unit this Sunday and it is not anything related to what I'm doing. The first two were professionally installed and leveled. Another replacement is not going to fix this; I'm asking for my money back or a new projector.
Have you tried taking the projector to a friends home?
It sounds like you may have an environment issue considering 3 units with almost the same issue.
Taking it to someones house would help validate if the issue is the projector or your environment(noisy power, fluctuating power, AC power is not between 110-120vac, etc.)

post #3467 of 3469 Old 12-10-2014, 07:57 PM
DTI

Has anyone else had three defective units?!? I just installed the unit this Sunday and it is not anything related to what I'm doing. The first two were professionally installed and leveled. Another replacement is not going to fix this; I'm asking for my money back or a new projector.[/QUOTE]

I am on 5th 5020ub and still have about 5 months left on warranty but this one I have now is the best looking visual one I couldn't believe the units they would send panel alignment out.. focus out.. noisy auto iris.. as I said before quality control is lacking.. I think after each projector was repaired and they did a visual inspection actually set it up on a 120 inch screen and manually inspect the image they would have less returns.. just my thought.
post #3468 of 3469 Old 12-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post
I am on 5th 5020ub and still have about 5 months left on warranty but this one I have now is the best looking visual one I couldn't believe the units they would send panel alignment out.. focus out.. noisy auto iris.. as I said before quality control is lacking.. I think after each projector was repaired and they did a visual inspection actually set it up on a 120 inch screen and manually inspect the image they would have less returns.. just my thought.[/QUOTE]

I purchased an Epson 3010 in 2012 -- and I had three units replaced for various flaws before they upgraded me to a refurbished 5010, at their expense. It was a generous offer on their part -- but sadly the refurbed 5010 was also defective with a cluster of burned spots on the LCD panels - causing a big green splotch to show in the projected image. Epson replaced this with a brand-new 5010, which had / has an issue where the projector can take about 5 mins. to fire up. I was, and still am, so frustrated by the lack of quality control on the part of Epson that I simply wrote off the projector (it's in a box in my basement). I didn't want to keep playing a game of hoping the next one will be "the one". A company only can offer so much before confidence is out the window -- not to mention all of the time in packing up projectors to send back -- and the time to install and set up the replacements.

The good news: about a year ago I bought a budget BenQ w1070 3D projector that far exceeded my expectations. The image is sharper by a long shot that any of the Epson units. The color is as good as the Epson or better. On top of the that, I haven't had one single issue. To be fair the 5010 (with auto iris engaged) offered slightly better blacks -- slightly. But all of the other advantages of my BenQ made the overall image much more refined (at a much better price point) than the Epson product.

To those who have Epson units that are reliable -- that's great. I'm only offering my opinion based on my history with the projectors and Epson customer service.

I'm lucky, the rainbow effect of the BenQ w1070 is a non-issue for me.

I thought I'd post to let you know that you aren't alone in the Epson replacement game.

Good luck.

Ian
post #3469 of 3469 Old Today, 07:32 PM

3d alignment?

Lately when I watch 3d on my 6010 projector the distant background objects appear to be a slight double image. I've also noticed a darker vertical band on the sides of the image that comes and goes. Usually the side edges were clean. I've replaced the battery in the epson glasses and tried inverting the sync (usually worse) and go back again. Any thoughts?

Shaunsheep
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page