Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #3571 of 3591 Unread 12-22-2015, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New firmware

Hey guys im on my second 5010 and got the two red leds a yr ago and was able to fix with the 1.09 firmware but today it is happening again. Could someone send me the newest firmware for me to try? I was able to get it to come back on by hitting the side but now its broke again. Email jernst_5@hotmail.com if someone can thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3591 Unread 12-22-2015, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyk4 View Post
Hey guys im on my second 5010 and got the two red leds a yr ago and was able to fix with the 1.09 firmware but today it is happening again. Could someone send me the newest firmware for me to try? I was able to get it to come back on by hitting the side but now its broke again. Email jernst_5@hotmail.com if someone can thanks
I have sent you an email with the latest firmware, but It is likely not going to help. I was in pretty much the same situation and fixed it with a firmware update and then a few months later I had to take the projector apart. It doesn't hurt update the firmware so by all means go ahead and do that. Next you want to check the reason for the red LED. you can connect your PC to the serial port on the back and see what error code it is throwing. You dont want to chase a CF issue if the real issue is a fan.. after this report back and we can discuss next steps. Let me know if you need help with connecting the PC and projector
post #3573 of 3591 Unread 12-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Well I managed to get it working by smacking the side with my hand and it fired right up lol should I even mess with the firmware now lol
post #3574 of 3591 Unread 12-23-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyk4 View Post
Well I managed to get it working by smacking the side with my hand and it fired right up lol should I even mess with the firmware now lol
Likely not a good idea to do this while the bulb is mounted. In any case - my guess is that you have a Cinema Filter with a clutch that is too tight. If it is acceptable to you that you never know if the projector will fire up or not you can continue the slapping process, but likely you are running a risk of the CF getting completely stuck or break a tooth of the gear. Again - before you do anything - make sure you are fixing the right problem by pulling the error code.
post #3575 of 3591 Unread 12-23-2015, 04:53 AM

I agree next time i get the error i will see what the code is first i hate not knowing if it will work or not. I will let you know if it happens again thanks
post #3576 of 3591 Unread 12-29-2015, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
6010 Shutting Down

I had my 6010 replaced under warranty 3 months ago. After 3 months of flawless performance, the refurbished replacement unit has started shutting down on its own after 5-10 minutes of operation. No red or orange light... Just the flashing blue for about 30 seconds while the fan runs to cool it. Then the lens covers move in place and the unit shuts off completely. Assuming I was sent a refurbished unit that had the most up to date firmware as of mid-August 2015, what else should I try?
post #3577 of 3591 Unread 12-30-2015, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4me View Post
I had my 6010 replaced under warranty 3 months ago. After 3 months of flawless performance, the refurbished replacement unit has started shutting down on its own after 5-10 minutes of operation. No red or orange light... Just the flashing blue for about 30 seconds while the fan runs to cool it. Then the lens covers move in place and the unit shuts off completely. Assuming I was sent a refurbished unit that had the most up to date firmware as of mid-August 2015, what else should I try?
If you still have warranty I suggest to have it replaced. If not - you can obviously try new firmware if you are not on the latest. I would also remove the lamp and re-seat it. You can check the firmware version this way:

Press and hold the Menu button on the remote control or on the projector’s control panel for at least 8 seconds, then release
Within 4 seconds of releasing the Menu button: Press and release the ESC button twice, (Esc + Esc)
press right until you get to the versions screen
The row starting with P: should end with V110 or V111
post #3578 of 3591 Unread 01-07-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapB View Post
If you still have warranty I suggest to have it replaced. If not - you can obviously try new firmware if you are not on the latest. I would also remove the lamp and re-seat it. You can check the firmware version this way:

Press and hold the Menu button on the remote control or on the projector’s control panel for at least 8 seconds, then release
Within 4 seconds of releasing the Menu button: Press and release the ESC button twice, (Esc + Esc)
press right until you get to the versions screen
The row starting with P: should end with V110 or V111
Thanks... I've got "P 4600496401WWV110"... so that's V110? Any need to update to V111 in this case?

I assume that even though I was sent a replacement unit in August, if the warranty on my original unit was to expire Nov/16 then my warranty is up...?
post #3579 of 3591 Unread 01-07-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks... I've got "P 4600496401WWV110"... so that's V110? Any need to update to V111 in this case?

I assume that even though I was sent a replacement unit in August, if the warranty on my original unit was to expire Nov/16 then my warranty is up...?
Also, I swapped out the bulb for a new one and same thing: 10-15 minutes after start up the machine turns itself off/fan cools for a few moments and then off completely.
post #3580 of 3591 Unread 01-09-2016, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,
I bought my 6010 3.5 years ago and had to send back the first one with a failure in the first year. I got a reconditioned one that was better than the new one ever was.
Mine had basically worked great since then but I notice a lot of dust being pulled in around the lens area. You can see it all looking at the bright light just in front of the lens.
So, two questions. Is there a gasket in this area that may be missing or not seated properly? I am noticing some vertical smearing on my screen now. Its very faint but there.
Is there a benefit to taking the projector apart for some internal cleaning? Can you even get at anything without major disassembly? I don't want to make matters worse on a functioning projector.

Any feed back from people who have taken theirs apart would be great.
Thanks in advance.
post #3581 of 3591 Unread 01-13-2016, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoast View Post
Hey everyone,
I bought my 6010 3.5 years ago and had to send back the first one with a failure in the first year. I got a reconditioned one that was better than the new one ever was.
Mine had basically worked great since then but I notice a lot of dust being pulled in around the lens area. You can see it all looking at the bright light just in front of the lens.
So, two questions. Is there a gasket in this area that may be missing or not seated properly? I am noticing some vertical smearing on my screen now. Its very faint but there.
Is there a benefit to taking the projector apart for some internal cleaning? Can you even get at anything without major disassembly? I don't want to make matters worse on a functioning projector.

Any feed back from people who have taken theirs apart would be great.
Thanks in advance.
I too have noticed dust inside lens of my 2 year old 5010 but it doesn't seem to be affecting the image quality. Maybe its affecting contrast a bit, I can't tell. Of late, I can see faint smudge on a corner on the screen when screen is completely dark. It isn't noticeable when picture is on. I have read that this may be dust on one of 3 LCD panels inside the lens assembly. No idea how to clean it. I read somewhere, that sucking air using a vacuum cleaner (after removing the paper filter) may push off such dust. Though it was risky, I did that. Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference either on dust inside lens or smudge on screen. No idea what else could be done,

Last edited by xplorar; 01-13-2016 at 02:14 AM.
post #3582 of 3591 Unread 01-13-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Yes, that is v1.10. I forgot if you are under warranty - if so, get it replaced. If not - you can certainly try 1.11. I doubt it will help, but there is really no downside to trying. Since you are not getting any error messages it is likely not throwing an error code on the serial port, but it is worth a try to pull ERR? after it shuts down
post #3583 of 3591 Unread 01-17-2016, 08:50 PM

Epson 6010 power is shutting down on its own.

I recently had an issue with my over 3 year old Pro Cinema 6010 projector which was replaced as a warranty exception by Epson in early December 2015 by a refurbished 6010. First replacement #1 picture was perfect and it worked well for about 3 weeks until all of the sudden the unit just shut itself off just like i turned it off. After this started to occur at random timing on the first time, it shut down about 4 more times on the same day. Next day it auto shutdown about another 3 times at random intervals. Day 3 worked well while watching a movie and other shows. Then day 4 it started to shut down another 3 times. So i called Espon support (who has always been very nice and helpful) who suggested changing outlets which is hard to do with a ceiling mounted projector. Epson decided to send another replacement #2 which was received a few days later. Problem with this model was a small dust particle creating another small green dot on the screen which was the original problem with my first projector which worked fine for over 3 years and never shut itself down. So after speaking to Epson support again was advised they would not just "pull one off the shelf" but rather pull one and have their team test it all out. A few extra days later, replacement #3 arrived yesterday. All worked well first evening watching a movie and other shows with no problem and a great picture! So today while watching the football playoffs, projector #3 starting shutting down randomly again like replacement #1 . So i switched to other outlet and it did it again. So i switched out surge protector and it did it again. All in total today it probably shut down at least 6 times during two football games and some other shows....

I am at an end as to what may be the problem. I do plan on contacting Epson support again this week, but not sure what they will do other than send another unit.

Has anyone else seen similar issues with the 6010 models or refurb replacements? Any ideas of what the problem may be? I am guessing since Epson did the extra test on replacement #3 which was done on 1/14/16, that it should have the latest firmware. Appreciate any suggestions or comments.
post #3584 of 3591 Unread 01-17-2016, 08:51 PM

Unhappy Epson 6010 Shutting Itself Off

I recently had an issue with my over 3 year old Pro Cinema 6010 projector which was replaced as a warranty exception by Epson in early December 2015 by a refurbished 6010. First replacement #1 picture was perfect and it worked well for about 3 weeks until all of the sudden the unit just shut itself off just like i turned it off. After this started to occur at random timing on the first time, it shut down about 4 more times on the same day. Next day it auto shutdown about another 3 times at random intervals. Day 3 worked well while watching a movie and other shows. Then day 4 it started to shut down another 3 times. So i called Espon support (who has always been very nice and helpful) who suggested changing outlets which is hard to do with a ceiling mounted projector. Epson decided to send another replacement #2 which was received a few days later. Problem with this model was a small dust particle creating another small green dot on the screen which was the original problem with my first projector which worked fine for over 3 years and never shut itself down. So after speaking to Epson support again was advised they would not just "pull one off the shelf" but rather pull one and have their team test it all out. A few extra days later, replacement #3 arrived yesterday. All worked well first evening watching a movie and other shows with no problem and a great picture! So today while watching the football playoffs, projector #3 starting shutting down randomly again like replacement #1 . So i switched to other outlet and it did it again. So i switched out surge protector and it did it again. All in total today it probably shut down at least 6 times during two football games and some other shows....

I am at an end as to what may be the problem. I do plan on contacting Epson support again this week, but not sure what they will do other than send another unit.

Has anyone else seen similar issues with the 6010 models or refurb replacements? Any ideas of what the problem may be? I am guessing since Epson did the extra test on replacement #3 which was done on 1/14/16, that it should have the latest firmware. Appreciate any suggestions or comments.
post #3585 of 3591 Unread 01-17-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankat1 View Post

If you read the thread you will find other people with similar problems. I would try to bypass the surge protector all together as a test. Also you can see the procedure to test the newest firmware a few posts up. In any case it doesnt seem like Epson is doing a great job testing refurbs. This has been an issue for years and crazy that they are not getting that under control.
post #3586 of 3591 Unread 01-23-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You need an usb to RS232 cable - not sure which will work on a MAC ten you need a terminal emulation program that supports serial ports - I am using Putty on Windows. this list is a bit dated by hopefully that can be used as inspiration. http://lifehacker.com/5857046/the-be...r-for-mac-os-x The projector will respond with a ":" when you are properly connected and hit enter
Thanks just ordered the cable. So since my last post everything has seemed to be working fine didn't shut off once. Then last weekend I was watching playoff football no issues, switched to AppleTv watched a few fights on the undercard during half time and then back to cable. About an hour or so later it shut off.

Will I be able to look at the errors of the past or do I have to connect right after the issue happens?

Thanks in advance
post #3587 of 3591 Unread 01-23-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasch12 View Post
Thanks just ordered the cable. So since my last post everything has seemed to be working fine didn't shut off once. Then last weekend I was watching playoff football no issues, switched to AppleTv watched a few fights on the undercard during half time and then back to cable. About an hour or so later it shut off.

Will I be able to look at the errors of the past or do I have to connect right after the issue happens?

Thanks in advance
I am not aware of an error log, so only when it throws the error and goes in standby. Your situation is a bit strange as you get no red leds. Are you using a surge protector?
post #3588 of 3591 Unread 01-24-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I am not aware of an error log, so only when it throws the error and goes in standby. Your situation is a bit strange as you get no red leds. Are you using a surge protector?
I am not using a surge protector, and have not since I have owned it.

So as soon as it shuts down plug the computer into the projector? Is there a video on using the terminal to check the error?

Will look to get this done next weekend once I get the cable and I think i will need to watch something for 2hrs on apple TV then switch to cable and hopefully it triggers in an hour, so I can test.
post #3589 of 3591 Unread 01-24-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasch12 View Post
I am not using a surge protector, and have not since I have owned it.

So as soon as it shuts down plug the computer into the projector? Is there a video on using the terminal to check the error?

Will look to get this done next weekend once I get the cable and I think i will need to watch something for 2hrs on apple TV then switch to cable and hopefully it triggers in an hour, so I can test.
There is a really bad video here.
just try w/o an error and it should return : when ready and a ERR0 if everything is ok
post #3590 of 3591 Unread 02-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on my 3rd 5010. The current replacement one has been running for over a year. Wouldn't you know it, on the day that I'm hosting a Superbowl viewing party at my house, it suffers the dreaded red light of death. It died midway thru the 3rd quarter. I hate this damn projector.

Last edited by KevinYee; Today at 02:25 PM.
post #3591 of 3591 Unread Today, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I called Epson tech support, and the person on the line basically said my unit was out of warranty, and she couldn't help me. Only thing she would to is direct me to a local service center.

What's happening with my 5010 this time (again, this is the 3rd unit I'm on), is that on power up, the lens door will open, the blue light will come on. then a few seconds later the lens door will close, and then the red TEMP light will start to blink. After a minute or so the projector will power itself back down.

What do these symptoms point to as being the problem?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan