Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3631 of 3651 Old 06-05-2016, 12:34 AM
Senior Member
 
ashyt16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post
I will be getting my new projector bulb on Monday. Bitten by early failure of my previous lamp (1450 hrs); this time, I will -
1) Use Eco mode
2) Use 'Natural' setting instead of 'Cinema' (to get maximum light out in Eco mode)
3) Do calibration only after about 50 hrs, when bulb has "settled".

Anything else you would like to suggest? Should I keep my Iris off too?
I never use auto iris. It does nothing to improve the image. I see no benefit.
In fact in eco mode it spoils the contrast as it simply darkens the image.

You can see this effect with an image of space with bright stars in the background. Starwars for eg.
Iris off - space is black and stars are bright, a nice contrast between the 2.

Iris on - space is still as black, but stars become dim.
Contrast suffers.

You don't need the iris on the 5010/6010 it's native contrast ratio is good enough IMO.

It's also less noisy and less wear and tear.

I get a far better effect using a Grey screen.
This also helps to tame the brightness as I find in eco mode the PJ is still quite bright in my small room.
xplorar likes this.

Last edited by ashyt16; 06-05-2016 at 12:39 AM.
ashyt16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3632 of 3651 Old 06-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
swatkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
I have a 5010 that has been rock solid for three years. I started noticing the picture was getting a little darker and boosted the output to dynamic mode which helped a lot. After a week the lamp seems to have failed. I start the projector and everything seems to go normally. The blue light starts to blink the fan starts up and I see faint light from the projector. The EPSON logo starts to show on the screen faintly then fades away and the projector never shows another picture. The fan sounds normal and the blue light is steady.

I order another bulb thinking that would solve the problem. Tonight I installed it and the projector is acting exactly the same with this bulb.

Tried all the suggestions for no picture in the manual with no change.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks

Update..

For the last few days I've tried starting the projector, with no luck. Everything would start up normal, shutter open, fan come on low, solid blue light after about a minute, faint EPSON logo then nothing.

Last night I tried again and it fired up! So far it has started up normally three times. I was able to get into the menu and found the original bulb had 4337 hours on it. The projector is in a totally light controlled room with no windows, black ceiling / front wall and dark maroon walls so the projector has been in THX mode it's entire life.

Hope it keeps working.....

Last edited by swatkins; 06-05-2016 at 02:04 PM.
swatkins is offline  
post #3633 of 3651 Old 06-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Brian Bunge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Kennesaw, GA, US
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As of last week my 5010 turned off and the red temperature light started flashing. I thought maybe it was the bulb so I bought a new one. When I put it in the unit powers up, fan comes on, lens cover opens, and after a few seconds the fan starts running really fast, the cover closes, and the red temp LED starts flashing. The owner's manual says it's either the fan or temperature sensor and to turn off the projector and call Epson. I will do that tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone has had this happen and fixed it themselves.
Brian Bunge is offline  
post #3634 of 3651 Old 06-07-2016, 01:34 AM
Senior Member
 
xplorar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for the advice on new lamp. It arrived today and I have fitted it in the projector. One question -
Should I use the bulb for first 50 hours or so on "Normal" mode (before switching permanently to "Eco" mode)? The reason I am asking - I have heard of "picture flickers" after prolonged use of Eco mode on projectors because of bulb not lit evenly. This was a major issue on old Panasonic projectors. Is it true for Epson 5010 too?
xplorar is offline  
post #3635 of 3651 Old 06-07-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,084
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Make sure it is an oem bulb. Projectorpeople only sells oem bulbs so I only buy from them.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #3636 of 3651 Old 06-08-2016, 01:35 AM
Senior Member
 
xplorar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post
Make sure it is an oem bulb. Projectorpeople only sells oem bulbs so I only buy from them.
Yes, its from ProjectorPeople. I had planned to buy from B&H but after your recommendation in an earlier post, I opted for ProjectorPeople instead. Good thing too, because I saved money through their discount.
The bulb is very bright even on Eco mode. It has Epson hologram stamped on the housing
I tried "Natural" setting but it didn't look as good as "Cinema" to me. So I am sticking with "Cinema" setting for now.
Keeping "Auto Iris" as "Normal" (not setting it off), otherwise dark scenes are looking too bright with the new bulb.
I plan to keep using Eco mode this time as long as possible.
xplorar is offline  
post #3637 of 3651 Old 06-08-2016, 02:07 AM
Senior Member
 
xplorar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bunge View Post
As of last week my 5010 turned off and the red temperature light started flashing. I thought maybe it was the bulb so I bought a new one. When I put it in the unit powers up, fan comes on, lens cover opens, and after a few seconds the fan starts running really fast, the cover closes, and the red temp LED starts flashing. The owner's manual says it's either the fan or temperature sensor and to turn off the projector and call Epson. I will do that tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone has had this happen and fixed it themselves.
I saw same problem in a different Epson projector (705HD). I opened it up and noticed that one of the small fans inside was not moving. I bought the same fan from an internet seller and replaced it myself. Projector has been working ever since.
In your case the problem could be clogged air filter too. Please check for it.
xplorar is offline  
post #3638 of 3651 Old 06-08-2016, 04:08 AM
Senior Member
 
xplorar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For anyone who might be wondering what could be the signs of projector bulb dying, I am summing up my experience here -


It all started with picture dimming..
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post
My Epson 5010 bulb has had around 1450 hours on normal mode and picture already has begun to look a little dim. Officially the bulb is supposed to last 4000 hrs on normal mode.

During the last few hours of the bulb, colors also became bad..
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post
Well, it so happens that my projector has now gotten very dim (1540 hours) as of last night. Its impossible to see things properly on "Cinema" mode on my 120 inch screen. Picture is now bearably bright only on Vivid mode.
Colors also look bad - Whites are dirty. I don't see deep reds and deep greens.

Ends with projector turning off..
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post
Well, I checked just now. Projector is now not turning on - Lens shutter opens, I get a blue blink for several minutes and then lens shuts down and I finally get "Lamp Failure" RED blink. As per manual, this means that lamp has gone bad.

After installing the new lamp, everything looks great again!
xplorar is offline  
post #3639 of 3651 Old 06-08-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,084
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Good news. I am sure you new bulb will last longer.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #3640 of 3651 Old 06-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Newbie
 
Greg P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Four months later, replying to posts #3592 & #3600 , which I can't link to because AVS forum has really stupid rules..

I'd link to the v110 firmware, but nope. Perhaps those in need can make do with mega [dot] nz [forward-slash] #!vkZRXLzZ!_3owcMeavXi3sXk3sRUSmcu_mieu_pRQmYZskfN-BjE

Unfortunately, a couple of months ago my 5010 started showing the yellow vertical line fault that a bunch of others have described here. Most of the times that it happens there is only one line; more rarely there are two. Sometimes turning the PJ off and back on will get rid of the problem, but sometimes not.

I've found that it's actually fairly easy for me to ignore when watching video content - it's only really noticeable to me when the image being displayed is mostly one color, otherwise it tends to just fade out of my conscious attention. I suppose at some point I'll dig back through this huge thread and see what people have tried to fix it, but for now I can't say that I care enough to put in the effort. I don't even usually bother to power-cycle the PJ when it happens these days.

I also replaced my original lamp around the same time as the yellow lines started showing up - IIRC, it had more than 4000 hours on it. It still hadn't died yet, but was starting to seem a bit dim to me. The new bulb is quite a lot brighter, and I expect it will last me until I upgrade to a 4K projector in the next few years.
Greg P. is offline  
post #3641 of 3651 Old 08-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
rushisrighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My 5010 failed, bought new in 2012. Didn't even get a chance to put a new bulb in it. It was running perfect, then I fired it up and the lamp never came on just ran for a minute then shut off and flashes the red bulb light. So I ordered a new bulb, same thing. Called Epson they recommended a firmware update or a new projector. I did the update, no luck. Sucks because it's still like new and the image was excellent and the bulb still nice and bright.

Now to decide on the Sony or the Epson 5030, but the failure of my 5010 is not making my decision on another Epson easy

K ........H
..L.... C..
...I...S....
.... P......
rushisrighton is offline  
post #3642 of 3651 Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Newbie
 
kpow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Try the NEW FIRMWARE - Mine went Dead as a Door Nail
and the New Firmware brought it back to life. If you can
not find it --- PM me.
I can't pm, not enough posts. @drhankz , can you send me the latest version you have? Thanks!! I'm still on 1.04...
kpow is offline  
post #3643 of 3651 Old 10-04-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,588
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpow View Post
I can't pm, not enough posts. @drhankz , can you send me the latest version you have? Thanks!! I'm still on 1.04...
Why Not pick up the phone and call Epson.

That is what I did
drhankz is offline  
post #3644 of 3651 Old 10-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Member
 
LD9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5010 problems too....

I own a 5010 as well. 2.5 years to be exact. Just got off the phone with Epson. There is not enough room here to type out the conversation, but let me tell you, it was absolutely useless and mindblowing. The female "tech" could not speak English very well. I had to ask to repeat many times. She did not know "tech" terms.... My 5010 went into "blue light flashing mode of death" yesterday like everyone else. Like most of you, she emphasized that it was out of warranty. I asked for options, she said I need to take it to a service center (my closest is about 70 miles away). I asked about the firmware update option some seem to have luck with - she never heard of it, and put me on hold while she asked her supervisor. She said they would email the update to me. I asked how to install it, as the 5010 doesn't have a USB port. She said to use the USB port. (just hung my head low knowing this was futile). I said it doesn't have a USB port. On hold for another 5 min. She said use the VGA port. I said that's pretty obsolete and I'd rather not have to buy that wire just to experiment. She asked "what do I have my computer hooked up to the projector with now ?" I hung my head again in futility. I said thank you and hung up. This is Epson's customer service ?
I do plan on driving the 70 miles to the service center (who were very nice on the phone), right after telling me it's a $100 diagnosis fee, and if they can't fix it, I can put that towards another Epson projector. I once again hung my head in futility. You can't make this up.
Not sure I want to invest in another projector - but I've started browsing for $1000 units, which as we all know, are pretty much DLP projectors, which I don't want. I can't hang it where the Epson is now, and I would need a different bracket to hang it with.
Any suggestions welcome as far as good, cheap investments in a new projector. The 5010 admittedly had an awesome picture - is there something out there that rivals it in that price range ?
LD9000 is offline  
post #3645 of 3651 Old 10-11-2016, 01:10 AM
Senior Member
 
ashyt16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD9000 View Post
I own a 5010 as well. 2.5 years to be exact. Just got off the phone with Epson. There is not enough room here to type out the conversation, but let me tell you, it was absolutely useless and mindblowing. The female "tech" could not speak English very well. I had to ask to repeat many times. She did not know "tech" terms.... My 5010 went into "blue light flashing mode of death" yesterday like everyone else. Like most of you, she emphasized that it was out of warranty. I asked for options, she said I need to take it to a service center (my closest is about 70 miles away). I asked about the firmware update option some seem to have luck with - she never heard of it, and put me on hold while she asked her supervisor. She said they would email the update to me. I asked how to install it, as the 5010 doesn't have a USB port. She said to use the USB port. (just hung my head low knowing this was futile). I said it doesn't have a USB port. On hold for another 5 min. She said use the VGA port. I said that's pretty obsolete and I'd rather not have to buy that wire just to experiment. She asked "what do I have my computer hooked up to the projector with now ?" I hung my head again in futility. I said thank you and hung up. This is Epson's customer service ?
I do plan on driving the 70 miles to the service center (who were very nice on the phone), right after telling me it's a $100 diagnosis fee, and if they can't fix it, I can put that towards another Epson projector. I once again hung my head in futility. You can't make this up.
Not sure I want to invest in another projector - but I've started browsing for $1000 units, which as we all know, are pretty much DLP projectors, which I don't want. I can't hang it where the Epson is now, and I would need a different bracket to hang it with.
Any suggestions welcome as far as good, cheap investments in a new projector. The 5010 admittedly had an awesome picture - is there something out there that rivals it in that price range ?
What do you mean the 5010 doesn't have a USB port?
The firmware is flashed via the mini USB port at the rear of the unit.
ashyt16 is offline  
post #3646 of 3651 Old 10-11-2016, 05:12 AM
Member
 
LD9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post
What do you mean the 5010 doesn't have a USB port?
The firmware is flashed via the mini USB port at the rear of the unit.
***Yes I found that out as soon as they sent me the update. I called Epson tech support back again and asked where it was and they directed me to the little door behind the unit.

The update process itself looks a bit daunting, but I'll give it a shot before I drive it the service center. I'm not holding out hope for this though, from what I'm reading it sounds like the problem is beyond just an update.
LD9000 is offline  
post #3647 of 3651 Old 10-11-2016, 07:36 AM
Member
 
LD9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well that did it. As others have written, after updating the firmware for the 5010 (try doing it while its is still hanging for a daunting experience), instead of the blue flashing lights now the fan shuts off completely and I get 2 standing red lights which means serious trouble.

Update made it worse obviously. I guess I'm off to the service center with it in a few days, but after seeing some of the low prices on other units, I can't imagine that fixing this would be equal to or less than a new BenQ or other. What a waste of time and effort. I do not want to buy another Epson. Period.
LD9000 is offline  
post #3648 of 3651 Old 10-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
ashyt16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD9000 View Post
Well that did it. As others have written, after updating the firmware for the 5010 (try doing it while its is still hanging for a daunting experience), instead of the blue flashing lights now the fan shuts off completely and I get 2 standing red lights which means serious trouble.

Update made it worse obviously. I guess I'm off to the service center with it in a few days, but after seeing some of the low prices on other units, I can't imagine that fixing this would be equal to or less than a new BenQ or other. What a waste of time and effort. I do not want to buy another Epson. Period.
Have you checked to make sure the cinema filter is cycling correctly?
ashyt16 is offline  
post #3649 of 3651 Old 11-19-2016, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
turbo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm on my 3rd or 4th replacement, lost count. Haven't used my Epson in over a year. Used it for one day, looked awesome. Fired it up a week later. Two blinking red lights. I came from Panasonic and upgraded to this. I will NEVER buy anything Epson again. That being said. I get no startup fans or grinding, just turns on after 5 seconds and red lights. I'm on a current FW as well.
turbo1 is offline  
post #3650 of 3651 Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone! So I need some help, like so many other Epson owners on here. I also have had the fan clicking noise for about a year now and just last week, my projector just decided to shut off with the blinking red temp light. I try to start it back up and the bay door opens, fans kick in (but now I'm not hearing the clicking noise) the lamp starts to light for 1 second, then the doors shut on me and the red light starts blinking. I'm assuming that since I'm not hearing any type of clicking from the fans, that the one that was making that noise has failed and that's why its shutting down? I ordered a new fan and it is showing up this Friday and I'd like to work on it this weekend. Anyone replace a fan on one of these before, and how do I go about finding the one that is not working? I have an exploded diagram of the inside of the projector and it is showing 4 fans? How am I going to get the projector to power on if I have this thing pretty much tore down to see the fans and to see if they spin? Thanks for your help everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fans.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	1784561  
Grimjester72 is offline  
post #3651 of 3651 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
gazzagazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'll be interested in your progress with this as it will add to the knowledge on this projector. I do have a question for you. How did you know which of the fans to order? Are they all the same part number? Where did you buy it from?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimjester72 View Post
Hello everyone! So I need some help, like so many other Epson owners on here. I also have had the fan clicking noise for about a year now and just last week, my projector just decided to shut off with the blinking red temp light. I try to start it back up and the bay door opens, fans kick in (but now I'm not hearing the clicking noise) the lamp starts to light for 1 second, then the doors shut on me and the red light starts blinking. I'm assuming that since I'm not hearing any type of clicking from the fans, that the one that was making that noise has failed and that's why its shutting down? I ordered a new fan and it is showing up this Friday and I'd like to work on it this weekend. Anyone replace a fan on one of these before, and how do I go about finding the one that is not working? I have an exploded diagram of the inside of the projector and it is showing 4 fans? How am I going to get the projector to power on if I have this thing pretty much tore down to see the fans and to see if they spin? Thanks for your help everyone.
gazzagazza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off