Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #3631 of 3641 Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post
I will be getting my new projector bulb on Monday. Bitten by early failure of my previous lamp (1450 hrs); this time, I will -
1) Use Eco mode
2) Use 'Natural' setting instead of 'Cinema' (to get maximum light out in Eco mode)
3) Do calibration only after about 50 hrs, when bulb has "settled".

Anything else you would like to suggest? Should I keep my Iris off too?
I never use auto iris. It does nothing to improve the image. I see no benefit.
In fact in eco mode it spoils the contrast as it simply darkens the image.

You can see this effect with an image of space with bright stars in the background. Starwars for eg.
Iris off - space is black and stars are bright, a nice contrast between the 2.

Iris on - space is still as black, but stars become dim.
Contrast suffers.

You don't need the iris on the 5010/6010 it's native contrast ratio is good enough IMO.

It's also less noisy and less wear and tear.

I get a far better effect using a Grey screen.
This also helps to tame the brightness as I find in eco mode the PJ is still quite bright in my small room.
xplorar likes this.

Last edited by ashyt16; 06-04-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3641 Old 06-05-2016, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
I have a 5010 that has been rock solid for three years. I started noticing the picture was getting a little darker and boosted the output to dynamic mode which helped a lot. After a week the lamp seems to have failed. I start the projector and everything seems to go normally. The blue light starts to blink the fan starts up and I see faint light from the projector. The EPSON logo starts to show on the screen faintly then fades away and the projector never shows another picture. The fan sounds normal and the blue light is steady.

I order another bulb thinking that would solve the problem. Tonight I installed it and the projector is acting exactly the same with this bulb.

Tried all the suggestions for no picture in the manual with no change.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks

Update..

For the last few days I've tried starting the projector, with no luck. Everything would start up normal, shutter open, fan come on low, solid blue light after about a minute, faint EPSON logo then nothing.

Last night I tried again and it fired up! So far it has started up normally three times. I was able to get into the menu and found the original bulb had 4337 hours on it. The projector is in a totally light controlled room with no windows, black ceiling / front wall and dark maroon walls so the projector has been in THX mode it's entire life.

Hope it keeps working.....

Last edited by swatkins; 06-05-2016 at 01:04 PM.
post #3633 of 3641 Old 06-05-2016, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As of last week my 5010 turned off and the red temperature light started flashing. I thought maybe it was the bulb so I bought a new one. When I put it in the unit powers up, fan comes on, lens cover opens, and after a few seconds the fan starts running really fast, the cover closes, and the red temp LED starts flashing. The owner's manual says it's either the fan or temperature sensor and to turn off the projector and call Epson. I will do that tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone has had this happen and fixed it themselves.
post #3634 of 3641 Old 06-07-2016, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the advice on new lamp. It arrived today and I have fitted it in the projector. One question -
Should I use the bulb for first 50 hours or so on "Normal" mode (before switching permanently to "Eco" mode)? The reason I am asking - I have heard of "picture flickers" after prolonged use of Eco mode on projectors because of bulb not lit evenly. This was a major issue on old Panasonic projectors. Is it true for Epson 5010 too?
post #3635 of 3641 Old 06-07-2016, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Make sure it is an oem bulb. Projectorpeople only sells oem bulbs so I only buy from them.
post #3636 of 3641 Old 06-08-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post
Make sure it is an oem bulb. Projectorpeople only sells oem bulbs so I only buy from them.
Yes, its from ProjectorPeople. I had planned to buy from B&H but after your recommendation in an earlier post, I opted for ProjectorPeople instead. Good thing too, because I saved money through their discount.
The bulb is very bright even on Eco mode. It has Epson hologram stamped on the housing
I tried "Natural" setting but it didn't look as good as "Cinema" to me. So I am sticking with "Cinema" setting for now.
Keeping "Auto Iris" as "Normal" (not setting it off), otherwise dark scenes are looking too bright with the new bulb.
I plan to keep using Eco mode this time as long as possible.
post #3637 of 3641 Old 06-08-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bunge View Post
As of last week my 5010 turned off and the red temperature light started flashing. I thought maybe it was the bulb so I bought a new one. When I put it in the unit powers up, fan comes on, lens cover opens, and after a few seconds the fan starts running really fast, the cover closes, and the red temp LED starts flashing. The owner's manual says it's either the fan or temperature sensor and to turn off the projector and call Epson. I will do that tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone has had this happen and fixed it themselves.
I saw same problem in a different Epson projector (705HD). I opened it up and noticed that one of the small fans inside was not moving. I bought the same fan from an internet seller and replaced it myself. Projector has been working ever since.
In your case the problem could be clogged air filter too. Please check for it.
post #3638 of 3641 Old 06-08-2016, 03:08 AM

For anyone who might be wondering what could be the signs of projector bulb dying, I am summing up my experience here -

It all started with picture dimming..
Quote:
My Epson 5010 bulb has had around 1450 hours on normal mode and picture already has begun to look a little dim. Officially the bulb is supposed to last 4000 hrs on normal mode.

During the last few hours of the bulb, colors also became bad..
Quote:
Well, it so happens that my projector has now gotten very dim (1540 hours) as of last night. Its impossible to see things properly on "Cinema" mode on my 120 inch screen. Picture is now bearably bright only on Vivid mode.
Colors also look bad - Whites are dirty. I don't see deep reds and deep greens.

Ends with projector turning off..
Quote:
Well, I checked just now. Projector is now not turning on - Lens shutter opens, I get a blue blink for several minutes and then lens shuts down and I finally get "Lamp Failure" RED blink. As per manual, this means that lamp has gone bad.

After installing the new lamp, everything looks great again!
post #3639 of 3641 Old 06-08-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Good news. I am sure you new bulb will last longer.
post #3640 of 3641 Old 06-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Four months later, replying to posts #3592 & #3600 , which I can't link to because AVS forum has really stupid rules..

I'd link to the v110 firmware, but nope. Perhaps those in need can make do with mega [dot] nz [forward-slash] #!vkZRXLzZ!_3owcMeavXi3sXk3sRUSmcu_mieu_pRQmYZskfN-BjE

Unfortunately, a couple of months ago my 5010 started showing the yellow vertical line fault that a bunch of others have described here. Most of the times that it happens there is only one line; more rarely there are two. Sometimes turning the PJ off and back on will get rid of the problem, but sometimes not.

I've found that it's actually fairly easy for me to ignore when watching video content - it's only really noticeable to me when the image being displayed is mostly one color, otherwise it tends to just fade out of my conscious attention. I suppose at some point I'll dig back through this huge thread and see what people have tried to fix it, but for now I can't say that I care enough to put in the effort. I don't even usually bother to power-cycle the PJ when it happens these days.

I also replaced my original lamp around the same time as the yellow lines started showing up - IIRC, it had more than 4000 hours on it. It still hadn't died yet, but was starting to seem a bit dim to me. The new bulb is quite a lot brighter, and I expect it will last me until I upgrade to a 4K projector in the next few years.
post #3641 of 3641 Old 08-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My 5010 failed, bought new in 2012. Didn't even get a chance to put a new bulb in it. It was running perfect, then I fired it up and the lamp never came on just ran for a minute then shut off and flashes the red bulb light. So I ordered a new bulb, same thing. Called Epson they recommended a firmware update or a new projector. I did the update, no luck. Sucks because it's still like new and the image was excellent and the bulb still nice and bright.

Now to decide on the Sony or the Epson 5030, but the failure of my 5010 is not making my decision on another Epson easy

K ........H
..L.... C..
...I...S....
.... P......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page