Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
post #3661 of 3668 Unread 04-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintblues View Post
Hi i need some help,

ive had my Epson 5030ub for about 3 years. was running fine until last week.
I purchased this projector new as part of my home theater build. As of today it had about 4200 hours on it (original bulb). I had just bought a new bulb as i knew it was going to be requiring a replacement soon. It's been working perfectly for the time ive owned it, until a week ago where it simply died. This is what happened:

The error occurred like this:
1. I pushed the standby button twice as normal on the remote to turnoff the projector after watching for about 2 hours.
2. Suddenly i heard something inside the projector rumble really loudly, a sound i had never heard before. It was not the sound of the auto iris adjusting as ive heard that many times. it was a different noise. Then the temp light started flashing bright red and status light blue and simultaneously the fan went to overdrive and started blowing air like crazy. (im not sure if i heard a little pop sound in the moment but maybe there was maybe there wasn't).
3. The projector then turned itself off after about 20 seconds etc.
4. I switched it off from the power assuming it would be okay the next morning and probably that it just needed a replacement bulb which i knew was needing to be changed. So i went to sleep.
5. next morning i found one my fuse in my house was tripped however the surge protector i had the projector plugged into was fine. i turned on the fuse and I then went to turn the projector on from the remote and then this --->
"power light" remains off, all i was getting was a flashing orange "lamp light" and a flashing blue "status light" which according to the manual indicates an internal error / malfunction with the projector (contact epson for help). The unit is powered but nothing at all happens. The projector will not turn on.
6. i tried the new bulb just to see if that was the issue but no help there. so its definitely not a bulb issue.

i rang EPSON who forwarded me onto one of their repairers who is telling me that the entire optical engine and mainboard needs to be replaced and that i am looking in the "thousands" to get it fixed. He says there isnt any issue with the power supply etc.

I am out of warranty but this is a catastrophic major failure, what are my chances regarding getting any help from EPSON? I mean i dont want to pay thousands to get this fixed and neither do i want to take out thousands of more dollars to buy an entirely new projector.

has any owners of the Epson 5010, 5020, 5025, 5030 or even 5040 owners know anything about this? Please help
You might have the cinema filter issue. My 6010 had it. It made a grinding noise, then the error lights flashed, fan ran on high, then it shut down and would not start back up. It cost only about $200 to have it fixed. Took the repair shop about an hour, then it worked like new. See the thread on this subject here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3668 Unread 04-09-2017, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Did you pay for it with a credit card? Some credit cards automatically extend the manufacturer's warranty. I used the process about a year ago and on my Visa card and they paid to replace a Samsung TV that was out of warranty.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________
My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7, Tuba HT
post #3663 of 3668 Unread 04-09-2017, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for that i will let my repairer know about this. Any other suggestions or ideas as to what it can be?

can an entire optical engine and mainboard simply die like that or is my repairer just doing what they all do which is to swap out the main two parts?

Thanks

post #3664 of 3668 Unread 04-09-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post
Did you pay for it with a credit card? Some credit cards automatically extend the manufacturer's warranty. I used the process about a year ago and on my Visa card and they paid to replace a Samsung TV that was out of warranty.
Hi,

no i paid via paypal unfortunately....
post #3665 of 3668 Unread 04-19-2017, 08:27 PM

hi guys, quick update

went to turn off my 5030ub, it rumbled (not a normal sound), temp light turned on then the fan sped up like crazy, and then the projector turned itself off. It Tripped one of the fuses to my house which i had to go an turn on again from the main fuseboard.

now when i turned it on my Epson 5030ub has the flashing lamp light and the flashing status light indicating an internal error and nothing will turn on except for the two flashing lights.

I opened the main top cover off and turned it on again and just let it flash away and then boom a POP sound from the right hand side powerboard area where all the capacitors are (from the power supply board). some smoke rose from that area too until i plugged the power out.

what is going on?
post #3666 of 3668 Unread 04-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
hi guys, quick update

went to turn off my 5030ub, it rumbled (not a normal sound), temp light turned on then the fan sped up like crazy, and then the projector turned itself off. It Tripped one of the fuses to my house which i had to go an turn on again from the main fuseboard.

now when i turned it on my Epson 5030ub has the flashing lamp light and the flashing status light indicating an internal error and nothing will turn on except for the two flashing lights.

I opened the main top cover off and turned it on again and just let it flash away and then boom a POP sound from the right hand side powerboard area where all the capacitors are (from the power supply board). some smoke rose from that area too until i plugged the power out.

what is going on?
I know it's not what you want to hear, but that sounds to me like the definition of a dead projector. Unless you have an electrical engineer handy who wants to take on a challenge, then your best option might be to sell it for parts. Might be able to get at least $200-$300 back that way.

True, that money wouldn't go very far towards a new projector, but you could get a used Epson 5010 or Panasonic PT-AE8000U used for $800-$900. You could stay with that for a couple more years while the 4K projectors come down in price. Either one would have very similar picture quality to your 5030, even if the 5030 was a tad bit better.

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7, Tuba HT
post #3667 of 3668 Unread Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post
I know it's not what you want to hear, but that sounds to me like the definition of a dead projector. Unless you have an electrical engineer handy who wants to take on a challenge, then your best option might be to sell it for parts. Might be able to get at least $200-$300 back that way.

True, that money wouldn't go very far towards a new projector, but you could get a used Epson 5010 or Panasonic PT-AE8000U used for $800-$900. You could stay with that for a couple more years while the 4K projectors come down in price. Either one would have very similar picture quality to your 5030, even if the 5030 was a tad bit better.
ive opened the unit up inside and the culprit looks like the Power supply. full burn marks on the underside of the PSU PCB board. the black protective layer the covers the psu board also has significantly visible burn marks.

only problem is it worth replacing the PSU with a new one? it seems highly likely this is what the cause was.

only issue is if the already dead psu fried my projectors motherboard then it wont likely work and ill be down almost $200.

thoughts?
post #3668 of 3668 Unread Today, 04:31 AM

Quote:
ive opened the unit up inside and the culprit looks like the Power supply. full burn marks on the underside of the PSU PCB board. the black protective layer the covers the psu board also has significantly visible burn marks.

only problem is it worth replacing the PSU with a new one? it seems highly likely this is what the cause was.

only issue is if the already dead psu fried my projectors motherboard then it wont likely work and ill be down almost $200.

thoughts?
So have you found a source for the power supply? Unless the part is very inexpensive, I would be very hesitant to put any money into this thing. Like you said, who knows what else may have been damaged.

I checked eBay just now to see what a dead projector might go for. I didn't find a 5030, but this 5020 with a dead main board was bid up to $455 + $30 shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-PowerL...p2047675.l2557

That's more than I expected, and I don't know if you could get that much, but who knows. But I think you would get at least $200-$300. That still seems like a better option to me than risking throwing good money after bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan