2Likes

post #631 of 3418 Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

You are missing the point. There are different categories of HDMI cables. Some cables may work for 1080p/24 or 720p, but not have sufficient bandwidth for HDMI 1.4 3D (or 1080p60, for that matter).

Contains no information. Some MAY work for this but MAY not work for that. Explain specifically what physical properties in a cable produces higher bandwidth and why these properties are more costly to provide in a cable.

[/quote]Transmission problems are not unusual especially with longer cables as they are typically used for projectors, and the symptoms are often exactly what the OP described. And badly attached connectors can produce unwanted HF reflections in the cable which can produce transmission errors too.[/quote]

Contains no information. Already acknowledged that long, skinny cables with no shielding can cause issues as can loose connectors. Again, not costly to avoid.

[/quote]We are not talking about S/PDIF here. HDMI uses bandwidths of several Gb/s. I can assure you that your coat hanger won't work. There is actually a rather strict set of technical requirements for the certification of HDMI cables including eye diagram limits etc.[/quote]

Your personal assurance means so much. Again, explain what physical cable properties at what levels produces the proper bandwidth for 3D or 1080p60, and why it costs more to deliver this level of bandwidth. Explain the bandwidth of a coat hanger and how it is too limited for 3D or 1080p60. Explain eye diagram limits and why it is more expensive for a cable to work

It is you that has missed the point that a cheap, non-exotic cable can do the job just fine for HDMI. Seems the OP is doing fine now with a cheap, old cable for HDMI and its strict set of technical requirements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3418 Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The newer HDMI 1.4 cables aren't expensive.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #633 of 3418 Old 01-15-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I had my first "scare" last night when I turned on the projector.
The lamp didn't come on and the fan was in high.
The projector shut down about 4-5 minutes later with no flashing red lights to indicate and issue.
I powered on again and same issue.

I decided to take the lamp out and reinsert it and then it started working.

So, for some reason you get no light output, try removing the lamp and reseat it.

*If this happens again, I will be request a replacement.

Hey brother I think our projectors were made on a Monday or Friday or we just have the new product kinks.
post #634 of 3418 Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 PM

I just cant figure out why besides the obvious issue of the projector that I haad to reset my ps3. First time I put in a 3d movie in blinked/flickered and then i did something to get it to work for about 30 minutes till i took the 3d blu ray and watched some 2d blu rays and tv just to see what the projector could do. I put back in a 3d blu ray and then wouldnt show an image no matter what i did till I reset the ps3. Its a new slim ps3 I just got about 3 months ago.
post #635 of 3418 Old 01-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post

The newer HDMI 1.4 cables aren't expensive.

Note that HDMI 1.4 by itself does not necessarily mean that it's a Category 2 cable that has been tested at 340MHz. You have to look for the "High Speed" category (which most, but not all cables available today in retail are). Also, HDMI 1.3 or older cables are fine as long as they are Cat 2 or "High Speed".
post #636 of 3418 Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

On the ps3 flashing issue - Not sure it is the same issue as mentioned above, but I have a friend that just got a 5010 and a new slimline ps3 and he experiences this image flashing issue whenever a new 3d image (going to the menu on inserting a new 3d blu-ray or when starting the 3d movie from the menu) is displayed. Only way around this issue is to switch hdmi inputs to the other input and back on the Epson remote and then the projector seems to sync correctly and display the 3d image without flashing.

I'm waiting for my projector to arrive to test this for myself so I don't have any more info.

Ps. In our cases it is the TW8000 which is the same as the 5010.

o AE100->TW100->AE300->HS10->AE500->AX100->TW700->TW3000->TW8000
post #637 of 3418 Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post

On the ps3 flashing issue - I have a friend that just got a 5010 and a new slimline ps3 and he experiences this image flashing issue whenever a new 3d image (going to the menu on inserting a new 3d blu-ray or when starting the 3d movie from the menu) is displayed. Only way around this issue is to switch hdmi inputs to the other input and back on the Epson remote and then the projector seems to sync correctly and display the 3d image without flashing.

I'm waiting for my projector to arrive to test this for myself so I don't have any more info.

Ps. In our cases it is the TW8000 which is the same as the 5010.

Thank you sir. I did everything possible. I tried 4 different hdmi cables, 2 ps3's and switched hdmi1 and hdmi2. Like I said after the first time it wouldnt work again. It did work with the old fat ps3 so I knew it was my new slim ps3. I had to reset the whole ps3 default settings in the system menu and not by just pressing down the on/off sensor. But the red lights dont help either. I hope yours is better. I at least im not the only one getting this issue.
post #638 of 3418 Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by evogeek View Post

Contains no information. Some MAY work for this but MAY not work for that. Explain specifically what physical properties in a cable produces higher bandwidth and why these properties are more costly to provide in a cable.

Quote:

Category 1 HDMI cables are marketed as "Standard" and Category 2 HDMI cables as "High Speed".[1] This labeling guideline for HDMI cables went into effect on October 17, 2008.[68][69] Category 1 and 2 cables can either meet the required parameter specifications for interpair skew, far-end crosstalk, attenuation and differential impedance, or they can meet the required nonequalized/equalized eye diagram requirements.[66] A cable of about 5 meters (16 ft) can be manufactured to Category 1 specifications easily and inexpensively by using 28 AWG (0.081 mm²) conductors.[65] With better quality construction and materials, including 24 AWG (0.205 mm²) conductors, an HDMI cable can reach lengths of up to 15 meters (49 ft).[65] Many HDMI cables under 5 meters of length that were made before the HDMI 1.3 specification can work as Category 2 cables, but only Category 2-tested cables are guaranteed to work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
post #639 of 3418 Old 01-15-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedg8gt View Post

Thank you sir. I did everything possible. I tried 4 different hdmi cables, 2 ps3's and switched hdmi1 and hdmi2. Like I said after the first time it wouldnt work again. It did work with the old fat ps3 so I knew it was my new slim ps3. I had to reset the whole ps3 default settings in the system menu and not by just pressing down the on/off sensor. But the red lights dont help either. I hope yours is better. I at least im not the only one getting this issue.

I have a fat ps3 (one of the very first models) so it will be interesting to see how it works when I get my projector. If it works I will take it around to the friend's place to test.

It is interesting that you say switching hdmi1 and hdmi2 on the remote does not fix it for you though?

o AE100->TW100->AE300->HS10->AE500->AX100->TW700->TW3000->TW8000
post #640 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post

I have a fat ps3 (one of the very first models) so it will be interesting to see how it works when I get my projector. If it works I will take it around to the friend's place to test.

It is interesting that you say switching hdmi1 and hdmi2 on the remote does not fix it for you though?

Switching hdmi1 and hdmi2 on the remote nor switching the hdmi1/2 inputs on the back wouldnt work. Then it wouldnt matter if i preset the 3d mode on or off before I put in a 3d blu-ray because it wouldnt play and the 2d/3d button on the remote wouldnt do anything. The picture just flashed/flickered in and out.
post #641 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Guys,
How many of you have your 5010/6010 mounted inverted from the ceiling?

42Plasmaman said he got a sharper image less blooming when he went with a shelf verses the ceiling mount. I have been exploring the idea of a shelf mount, but I just don't think it is going to work in my situation. I just want to know how many people have noticed the blooming or not with a ceiling mount. I know there will be variations from projector to projector.

Thanks.
post #642 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally pulled the trigger on the Epson 5010 at a local dealer with an offer that I couldn't refuse. Since the subject is on the table I want to explain my situation regarding which cables work and which don't

When I built my hometheater some 6 years ago, all cables were installed in-wall including the projector's HDMI cable which runs through the ceiling. At the time I had an older projector that used an DVI input instead of the popular HDMI that we all know and "love". Ignoring the future, I made the mistake by running a cable that was the HDMI to DVI type, the DVI end would connect to my 720p projector and the HDMI end of it would send the signal from the Bluray player to the unit, later on when I installed the HD cable box in the room, I had to buy an HDMI splitter in order to be able to watch different sources, so I went ahead and ordered a cheap 3 in/1 out unit for the job and it worked like a charm.
After a year or two of having problems with my first projector, a Samsung DLP unit, I went ahead and bought the Panasonic 2000 which of course had only HDMI inputs, not the older DVI cousin type, and so I went ahead and bought a $1.25 DVI to HDMI adaptor in order to watch my new 1080p projector in all its glory.
I have always been a 3D fanatic, and so when 3D bluray came to be I was the happiest camper on the face of the earth, so to make a long story short I decided on the Epson 5010, which could have possibly have become a nightmare because of the cable situation in my hometheater.

So here it comes, the moment of truth, I have my new and shinny 3D beast ceiling mounted, the 3D signal had to come out of my Oppo bluray player using a $3.00 HDMI cable, the signal would go into the none 3D HDMI splitter that then would take the 3D signal to the projector using the HDMI to DVI cable which I bought 6 to 7 years ago to then come in contact with an $1.25 DVI to HDMI adaptor at the other end which would plug into the unit, and what did I get at the end;

A Pristine 3D bluray picture free of noise and full of glorious depth.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #643 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I know this movie is not for everyone but I watched Pirates Of The Caribbean - Dead mans chest on blu-ray last night.
This movie has a variety of dark and bright scenes that shows off the 5010 contrast, sharpness and vivid brightness/color. Makes a decent demo disc to show what the 5010 can do with varying content.
Even with the iris off, the blacks looked great.

post #644 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedg8gt View Post

Switching hdmi1 and hdmi2 on the remote nor switching the hdmi1/2 inputs on the back wouldnt work. Then it wouldnt matter if i preset the 3d mode on or off before I put in a 3d blu-ray because it wouldnt play and the 2d/3d button on the remote wouldnt do anything. The picture just flashed/flickered in and out.

Does your projector flicker in 2D with the lamp in Normal?
If yes, you might need run in normal mode for several hours to burn off an arcing point.
This happens with some lamps and is an issue with most projector lamps.

post #645 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 04:02 PM

When I first turn on my 5010 the whole screen is Green.
This issue only lasts about a minute or so and then the color is as it should be.
I see this has been mentioned here before.
Does every 5010 exhibit this issue?

The only other problem I had was a panel misalignment.
Left side was good but right side of mine was off two pixels.
I was able to correct this with LCD Alignment in the Extended section of the Menu.
I just adjusted the four corners and image is tack sharp now.
You must leave this setting on though. Turn it off and it's off two pixels again.
Correct LCD Align. must be ON to keep your adjustments.
post #646 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Does your projector flicker in 2D with the lamp in Normal?
If yes, you might need run in normal mode for several hours to burn off an arcing point.
This happens with some lamps and is an issue with most projector lamps.

I had this issue with my 8350. You're right about the fix.
Switching to Normal for a while and then back to ECO did fix it.
post #647 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

When I first turn on my 5010 the whole screen is Green.
This issue only lasts about a minute or so and then the color is as it should be.
I see this has been mentioned here before.
Does every 5010 exhibit this issue?

Mine does this also, It's not a issue to me
post #648 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog_2005 View Post

Mine does this also, It's not a issue to me

Guess it's supposed to be this way.
May have something to do with the ability to align the panels.
The Green Panel is the stationary one. Red & Blue move.
So maybe when it starts up the Green comes on line first?
post #649 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 PM

Received my replacement 5010 and had a chance to install it today. I previously reported and posted pictures of a blur or ghosting or "drop shadow" that I saw on my first 5010. This was visible not just on patterns, but also on Blu-Ray and TV content even with good focus and convergence on the test patterns.

I'm happy to say the new projector is much better! There is still a little bit of blur/ghosting (whatever you call it) in the upper right quadrant (after some minor convergence tweaks), but it is barely visible and much better than before. The blur is absent on the rest of the screen.

The picture looks noticeably sharper, including 3D. I haven't had much chance to play with it, but assuming everything else works, I'm now a happy camper!

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #650 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post

Guys,
How many of you have your 5010/6010 mounted inverted from the ceiling?

42Plasmaman said he got a sharper image less blooming when he went with a shelf verses the ceiling mount. I have been exploring the idea of a shelf mount, but I just don't think it is going to work in my situation. I just want to know how many people have noticed the blooming or not with a ceiling mount. I know there will be variations from projector to projector.

Thanks.

Inverted ceiling mounted here, pretty much level with the top of the screen, with the keystone set at around 6 or 7. I can only notice a bit of blurring near the bottom if I get right up to the screen and look for it. From 14' back, I can't see any blur on mine.
post #651 of 3418 Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

A Pristine 3D bluray picture free of noise and full of glorious depth.

Wow! Nice to hear that all worked out on your cable setup. I'm hoping my old monoprice hdmi switch will work for 3D with no issues, so after that story I have hope, LOL
post #652 of 3418 Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Inverted ceiling mounted here, pretty much level with the top of the screen, with the keystone set at around 6 or 7. I can only notice a bit of blurring near the bottom if I get right up to the screen and look for it. From 14' back, I can't see any blur on mine.

I gotta ask why are you using keystone vs. vertical shift to get the image straight ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #653 of 3418 Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Thank you for the response. I am sure there are others out there with ceiling mounts too. I thought keystone was bad because it cuts some of your image off??
post #654 of 3418 Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post

Thank you for the response. I am sure there are others out there with ceiling mounts too. I thought keystone was bad because it cuts some of your image off??

Throw a small grid pattern on the screen than adjust keystone and you can start to see these rings that look like magnetic polarization rings appear around the pattern.
The more keystone, the more the rings appear.

post #655 of 3418 Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Throw a small grid pattern on the screen than adjust keystone and you can start to see these rings that look like magnetic polarization rings appear around the pattern.
The more keystone, the more the rings appear.

That sounds bad. I will try and avoid keystone at all costs then. I just ordered a 5010e so I will be part of the 5010 club.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will get a good one.
post #656 of 3418 Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You should never use keystone adjustment, especially on this projector. Set it back to zero and use the lens shift knobs to adjust the image back onto the screen.
post #657 of 3418 Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anyone know the size of the screws used for mounting the projector? I need to pick up the screws shortly.

I noticed 5 mounting screws on the bottom. OK to just use the 4 on the sides?

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My
in progress.
post #658 of 3418 Old 01-17-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch View Post

Anyone know the size of the screws used for mounting the projector? I need to pick up the screws shortly.

I noticed 5 mounting screws on the bottom. OK to just use the 4 on the sides?

Just like the Manual Shows - 4 Holes with Screws M4x9.
LL
post #659 of 3418 Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Just like the Manual Shows - 4 Holes with Screws M4x9.

Thanks for the quick reply. I know I had some leftover from a wall mount TV kit but went ahead and picked up some Class 8.8 screws on the way home. Going to modify the old projector mount to fit the 5010.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My
in progress.
post #660 of 3418 Old 01-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Is there a set of instruction which guide as to weather pixel alignment is required, and if yes how to go about achieving it. Though the specification mentions motorized pixel alignment, there is nothing on the manual in regards to this.

Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page