post #721 of 3418 Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post

Thanks very much for your suggestions. It seems to be the projector. Look at the vertical white lines in this avs hd grey scale pattern playing on my bluray player:

If you unplug all connections except power, the projector should display a No Signal with a black background.
Does it still display the white lines?

Just trying to see if this is present all the time without any input.

*Epson will ask if you've done this when you request a replacement or report the issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3418 Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

1. What is your Brightness and Contrast setting?
High settings will wash out the blacks.

2. Are you using the Iris?
Using the Fast Iris will improve the black levels.

I keep the iris on the highest setting. The brightness and contrast settings are what they are out of the box. I think is like 0 or something.
post #723 of 3418 Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedg8gt View Post

I keep the iris on the highest setting. The brightness and contrast settings are what they are out of the box. I think is like 0 or something.

Good.
What about gamma?
If default, it should be good/OK.

post #724 of 3418 Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Good.
What about gamma?
If default, it should be good/OK.

Yea my gamma is default at 2.2.
I guess its the white screen making the black bars not as black as the blacks in the movies.
post #725 of 3418 Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea my gamma is default at 2.2.
I guess its the white screen making the black bars not as black as the blacks in the movies.

Are you using ECO or Normal bulb mode?

If you are using a less than 1.4 gain screen, the blacks/contrast should decent.

post #726 of 3418 Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgolfer View Post

My HR24 doesn't seem to like switches.

I'm gonna give this switch a try, Kinivo 301BN. It has gotten some good reviews and is fairly inexpensive. I'll report back on it if it gives me problems.
post #727 of 3418 Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgolfer View Post

I'm wondering if anyone else is running an HTPC with PDVD?

I have upadated all my video drivers - Radeon 4350 and the newest cyberlink build but I'm getting a fail for the EPSON PJ in cyberlink advisor.

I don't think the 4350 supports 3D. You need a card that supports HDMI 1.4.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #728 of 3418 Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 19
Greetings!

Curious to know if anyone has tried the "Monster Vision 3D" glasses with this projector.

I've been following the Sony HW30 thread and they made a huge difference in regards to crosstalk and ghosting.

Depending on my final budget for a dedicated HT will determine either 5010 or Sony for the projector.

Thanks!
post #729 of 3418 Old 01-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:

After alot of time trying to figure out this blinking/flickering of the picture in and out I think i've got it figured out. I've tried 5 different hdmi cables; some old and not originally 3d compatible and a couple new fully equipted for high speed, ethernet, and 3d and 1440p and the works and it worked either at one time or another so I ruled that out. I have a new working and better 5010 so I ruled that out. Only thing left is the ps3. Thats the issue. After trial and error the problem is this: when I reset my ps3 and it comes up and tells you 1080p and put in screen size I do all that. Then I always go back to the display menu on the ps3 and redo it one more time to make sure its 1080p 2d/3d. After I do it a second time thats when it messes up and wont play a 3d blu ray. It worked fine last night and when I woke up but i went back to display and did it again; it messed up and wouldnt work. So I then reset and left alone and it worked again.

Are you talking about where the screen in 3d mode blanks the picture out for a few seconds then flashes the picture then repeats this process? If so what I've done is switched to another input via epsons remote (ie HDMI 2) and then back. It's worked for me, but it's annoying. I'm pretty sure it's the handshake between the PS3 and the projector. What's really annoying is when the previews are in 2d and then the menu is in 3d. It'll do it on every track on those movies until you do it the last time for the actual movie then it'll behave. What funny is that it doesn't do it on all of them but when it does it's those 2d switchups that kill me.
post #730 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:

Are you using ECO or Normal bulb mode?

If you are using a less than 1.4 gain screen, the blacks/contrast should decent.

Im using normal bulb mode. Im not sure on the gain. Its suppose to be 1.4gain but Ive read reviews on the Carada brilliant white and they compared it to the studiotek 130 and other screens and say the Carada isnt atrue 1.4 gain. But Im not sure how to even measure that but I did order screen samples of their other screens to compare between the 1.4 i have and there 1.0 gain classic white. It will be interesting to see. But it probably is close to the 1.4 though. The blacks in movies are very good but the bars on the top and bottom arent even close to that dark which has to be the white screen. When it was on my wall you couldnt even see the bars and looked like a 2:35 screen.
post #731 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marikcraven View Post

Are you talking about where the screen in 3d mode blanks the picture out for a few seconds then flashes the picture then repeats this process? If so what I've done is switched to another input via epsons remote (ie HDMI 2) and then back. It's worked for me, but it's annoying. I'm pretty sure it's the handshake between the PS3 and the projector. What's really annoying is when the previews are in 2d and then the menu is in 3d. It'll do it on every track on those movies until you do it the last time for the actual movie then it'll behave. What funny is that it doesn't do it on all of them but when it does it's those 2d switchups that kill me.

Thats exactly what it does. On 3d movies that have the 2d previews show up just fine till it turns into 3d. Switching hdmi buttons on the remote didnt work for me and its only the ps3 slim. The ps3 fat works perfect (doesnt make sense). There are alot other people on this thread and the other 3010/5010/6010 thread who have the same problem with their ps3 slims.
post #732 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Thats exactly what it does. On 3d movies that have the 2d previews show up just fine till it turns into 3d. Switching hdmi buttons on the remote didnt work for me and its only the ps3 slim. The ps3 fat works perfect (doesnt make sense). There are alot other people on this thread and the other 3010/5010/6010 thread who have the same problem with their ps3 slims.

Wicked,

Just wanted to check with you. Did you turn "Super White" off on both the PS3 and the projector?
post #733 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im using normal bulb mode. Im not sure on the gain. Its suppose to be 1.4gain but Ive read reviews on the Carada brilliant white and they compared it to the studiotek 130 and other screens and say the Carada isnt atrue 1.4 gain. But Im not sure how to even measure that but I did order screen samples of their other screens to compare between the 1.4 i have and there 1.0 gain classic white. It will be interesting to see. But it probably is close to the 1.4 though. The blacks in movies are very good but the bars on the top and bottom arent even close to that dark which has to be the white screen. When it was on my wall you couldnt even see the bars and looked like a 2:35 screen.

The Carada BW screen should be fine.
Have you tried ECO mode to see if the blacks increase?

Also, as mentioned, turn off Super White if it's enabled.

*When I created and did some contrast/brightness adjustments using the AVS disc using Normal mode, I had set the contrast to -7 where as on ECO, I use -3 for contrast.
Brightness is left at 0.

Also, are you using Dynamic mode. This will kill your black level to get you the very bright picture.
Cinema is a little to dark for me and I use Natural.
My screen is about a 1.3 gain and 117" projected from 15 feet away.
ECO plenty bright in my bat cave. Normal mode does make it look more Plasma like but the blacks seem to suffer slightly.

post #734 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith56 View Post

Wicked,

Just wanted to check with you. Did you turn "Super White" off on both the PS3 and the projector?

I turned "Super White" off on the ps3 but I didnt on the projector. So I dont really know what setting its on. Thats a good idea ill check it.
post #735 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:

The Carada BW screen should be fine.
Have you tried ECO mode to see if the blacks increase?

Also, as mentioned, turn off Super White if it's enabled.

*When I created and did some contrast/brightness adjustments using the AVS disc using Normal mode, I had set the contrast to -7 where as on ECO, I use -3 for contrast.
Brightness is left at 0.

Also, are you using Dynamic mode. This will kill your black level to get you the very bright picture.
Cinema is a little to dark for me and I use Natural.
My screen is about a 1.3 gain and 117" projected from 15 feet away.
ECO plenty bright in my bat cave. Normal mode does make it look more Plasma like but the blacks seem to suffer slightly.

I watch everything in "Livingroom" mode and on normal. To me it gives the best brightness and color. I like bright pictures. I never use "dynamic". Its bright but colors not as good.

I could try and mess with the contrast though to see what it does.

To me it was just wierd that the blacks in movies are so dark but not on the bars in widescreen movies. In fact it went from not noticeable at all on my wall to easily seen. I dont want to pay another $3000 for a masking system
post #736 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watch everything in "Livingroom" mode and on normal. To me it gives the best brightness and color. I like bright pictures. I never use "dynamic". Its bright but colors not as good.

I could try and mess with the contrast though to see what it does.

To me it was just wierd that the blacks in movies are so dark but not on the bars in widescreen movies. In fact it went from not noticeable at all on my wall to easily seen. I dont want to pay another $3000 for a masking system

Normal lamp mode + Dyanmic = low contrast.
You are projecting high beams and it's hard to get the contrast optimal at those settings.

I think what you really might need is a high gain(2.4+) screen and use ECO mode.,
This will get you that very bright PQ and decent blacks/contrast.

For a test, use Natural mode with ECO lamp. Set Contrast to -3.
If your blacks/contrast looks good, then I think you know the answer to why you are seeing grayish black bars.

*Make sure Super White if off.

post #737 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 AM

I've read every single post on this thread and have found it very interesting, so thanks to all who have contributed.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the TW9000 (5010 in US I think) here in the UK but have a quick question for you.

My room is as far from a bat cave as you can get - think white ceiling, cream walls, carpet and sofa! I've just bought a 0.8 gain grey 110" tab tensioned screen which has done wonders for the image from my existing projector (Panasonic AX100!! Still going strong!). This was previously projecting onto a 1.0 gain white screen - which gave grey blacks and poor contrast. It's almost as if I'm viewing a different projector!

So, back to the Epson. I demoed this side by side with a Somy HW30 a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by both of them. In 2D there was very little in it (for my eyes at least!) but as others have said, the Epson is streets ahead when it comes to 3D. However the demo was against a 1.2 gain Draper ReAct II grey screen, which is obviously a 50% increase in gain over my 0.8 screen.

So, my question is - am I going to struggle with 3D brightness on my screen? I'll be projecting 110" from approx 11 feet on max zoom on the PJ (has to be this otherwise I won't get 110"), which will either be ceiling mounted or on its feet in a dedicated shelf, but still ceiling height. I've looked at both Projector Central's and CoderGuy's calculators and for 2D they suggest that I will get a very bright image (if anything a bit too bright!!) but there's not a proper indication for 3D.

Also, will there be any impact, negative or positive, on the PQ if I'm using full zoom?

Thanks in advance
post #738 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM
fev

Anyone taken a recent 6010 delivery? Making the move to front projection from my 40" Toshiba rear projection 2000 model, and the backorder is killing me. Going with 92" (room constraints) with a throw of about 12.5'.
post #739 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I'm also going to check to see if the PS3 has it's super white off. Didn't know it had an option, but yes it's a ps3 slim for me also. On one note, I noticed that if I rushed changing from HDMI1 to another input and back it usually wouldn't fix it. I have to wait for the signal menu to pop up with a blue background (I beleive I changed it from default background to blue) and then back, and even then sometimes I have have to change it a couple of times before the picture will be correct. Also, I only have the PS3 slim hooked up to the projector.
post #740 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch View Post

For reference: ceiling mounted about 1 foot above the top of the screen, 19 feet away, 123", 1.3 gain.

So I got the 5010 mounted up yesterday and I could right away tell that the convergence was off a little. I went through the steps to correct it manually. But by the time I get to the 4th corner, it's moved the red panel so much that the 1st corner is like 6 pixels out of alignment. It looked much better without trying to manually adjust the convergence. I'm thinking the projector is going to have to be swapped out or something.

Finally called Epson today and talked with them about the issue. Seems as long as you are having the problem with no sources connected to the projector, then they agree it's a projector problem. Replacement projector should be here in 2 days. All they had me do was disconnect all sources, pull up the main menu and see if there was a problem and then hit the pattern button on the remote to see if there was a problem.

Wasn't on hold for more than a minute when I called in and there was a quick resolution to send me a replacement after being on hold for about 2 minutes in the middle. So far I am very pleased with Epson's service. So much better than my old projector (DWIN) service ever was.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in progress.
post #741 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The only problem is its Russian Roulette if your next one is better.
post #742 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch View Post

Finally called Epson today and talked with them about the issue. Seems as long as you are having the problem with no sources connected to the projector, then they agree it's a projector problem. Replacement projector should be here in 2 days. All they had me do was disconnect all sources, pull up the main menu and see if there was a problem and then hit the pattern button on the remote to see if there was a problem.

Wasn't on hold for more than a minute when I called in and there was a quick resolution to send me a replacement after being on hold for about 2 minutes in the middle. So far I am very pleased with Epson's service. So much better than my old projector (DWIN) service ever was.

This sounds like the exact same problem that I am having. The green seems to be shifted 2 pixels to the left and when I move the red over the green on the left side it throws the right side off by 4 pixels. I realized there was a problem when the main menu was up it and each letter had a green shadow 2 pixels to the left on each letter. This can't be seen unless you are 3 feet from the screen. I have less than 2 hours on it so far. I am glad Epson is taking care of it. Are they sending you a NEW one or a refurb?
post #743 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I'm also going to check to see if the PS3 has it's super white off. Didn't know it had an option, but yes it's a ps3 slim for me also. On one note, I noticed that if I rushed changing from HDMI1 to another input and back it usually wouldn't fix it. I have to wait for the signal menu to pop up with a blue background (I beleive I changed it from default background to blue) and then back, and even then sometimes I have have to change it a couple of times before the picture will be correct. Also, I only have the PS3 slim hooked up to the projector.

So far my only resolution was to use a ps3 fat.
post #744 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 04:03 PM

Did anyone try throwing from roughly 11 feet to a roughly 92" width, not diagonal, sceen? Was it sucessful? What gain screen?
post #745 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM

Hello,

Could anyone with a 6010 or 5010 and using a ceiling mount check their "Pattern" alignment and see if it's dropped? I've had two units and both slip and drop downward after about 48/72 hours. It drops about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Basically the lens shift won't hold it's position. Thanks to all in advance.
post #746 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_novice View Post

I've read every single post on this thread and have found it very interesting, so thanks to all who have contributed.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the TW9000 (5010 in US I think) here in the UK but have a quick question for you.

My room is as far from a bat cave as you can get - think white ceiling, cream walls, carpet and sofa! I've just bought a 0.8 gain grey 110" tab tensioned screen which has done wonders for the image from my existing projector (Panasonic AX100!! Still going strong!). This was previously projecting onto a 1.0 gain white screen - which gave grey blacks and poor contrast. It's almost as if I'm viewing a different projector!

So, back to the Epson. I demoed this side by side with a Somy HW30 a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by both of them. In 2D there was very little in it (for my eyes at least!) but as others have said, the Epson is streets ahead when it comes to 3D. However the demo was against a 1.2 gain Draper ReAct II grey screen, which is obviously a 50% increase in gain over my 0.8 screen.

So, my question is - am I going to struggle with 3D brightness on my screen? I'll be projecting 110" from approx 11 feet on max zoom on the PJ (has to be this otherwise I won't get 110"), which will either be ceiling mounted or on its feet in a dedicated shelf, but still ceiling height. I've looked at both Projector Central's and CoderGuy's calculators and for 2D they suggest that I will get a very bright image (if anything a bit too bright!!) but there's not a proper indication for 3D.

Also, will there be any impact, negative or positive, on the PQ if I'm using full zoom?

Thanks in advance

The 3D brightness should be OK with your 110" gain 0.8 screen as long as the ambient lighting is well controlled. Using max. zoom (shortest throw distance for a given screen size) produces the most lumens from the projector so in your proposed setup you will benefit from this. The Epson projector has a dynamic 3D mode that looks fairly good and is brighter than the more accurate 3D cinema mode.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #747 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweber View Post

Hello,

Could anyone with a 6010 or 5010 and using a ceiling mount check their "Pattern" alignment and see if it's dropped? I've had two units and both slip and drop downward after about 48/72 hours. It drops about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Basically the lens shift won't hold it's position. Thanks to all in advance.

If your projector is in a location susceptible to vibration or you have Godzilla LFE, it will move.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283049

If you want to keep it from moving, use some painters tape to tape down the dials.

post #748 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

Quote:

So far my only resolution was to use a ps3 fat.

I don't know if this relates to your situation or not, but the "superwhite" mode on the PS3 only applies when the PS3 HDMI output is in "Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr" mode. If the output is in RGB mode then "superwhite" does not apply. You can set the PS3 to force use of "Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr" mode on HDMI for playback of Blu-rays. When the HDMI output mode is set to "auto" then its output mode will be negotiated based on the handshake with the display to determine what mode(s) the display can support for the given signal format. However when not playing DVDs or BDs (e.g., games or other graphic screens generated by the PS3) the output will be in RGB mode.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #749 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:

If you unplug all connections except power, the projector should display a No Signal with a black background.
Does it still display the white lines?

Just trying to see if this is present all the time without any input.

*Epson will ask if you've done this when you request a replacement or report the issue.

No, I do not get the white lines under those conditions. They are lines of white video noise that sometimes appear in color or b/w gradations of seemingly very specific luminance values in the low to medium brightness range. Sometimes the noise reduction setting can help but at the expense of sharpness, sometimes it actually makes it worse.
post #750 of 3418 Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Could someone who owns a 5010 or 6010, and either a PS3 or AVS calibration disk please check to see if you have the same problem I have? As described above, it is white lines in the picture.

If you have the calibration disk, go to the greyscale pattern which is the first pattern under misc patterns and compare your results to this:

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page