Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I don't know about a ton of returns but may be a handful in this thread

Regarding number of people saying they've returned 5010s/6010s due to bad convergence (to get a replacement), I didn't say just in this thread but in the many threads that include the 5010/6010 in both the above and below $3K projector forums. Some people reporting going through 4 projectors until they get one with good convergence.
WynsWrld98 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
CrocDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post


I think if the green panel is off more than a ~2 pixels, you won't be able to shift the other two panels enough to align and correct the green panel misalignment. When the green panel is off alignment more than a pixel, you will see a green stripe on either the top, bottom or side edge. Then a purple stripe on the opposite edge end.(Red and blue with no green = purple)

This exactly what I am seeing and I am not able to correct it.... This is why I seeked out a replacement.
CrocDoc is offline  
post #813 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
CrocDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrauss View Post

Thanks Crocdoc. So did you make a screen choice ? Did you go with the Carada BW ? I need to go buy a torpedo level today. I was thinking of using light nylon string to measure from image corners to lens to try and fix uniformity issue, as it seems doing that with tape measure would be awkward. Sorry to hear about your pixel alignment issue. Mine is not perfect, but I havent had time to see about fine tuning.

I haven't ordered my screen yet, but yes I am leaning towards the BW. Your string idea will work too. Either way you probably will need an assistant to help hold the string or tape measure. I am glad you don't have an issue with yours, you would certainly notice a green shadow 2 pixels wide next to each vertical line/ text in the menu. That is how I knew I had a problem.
CrocDoc is offline  
post #814 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 AM
dna
AVS Special Member
 
dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Fremont, CA U.S.A.
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I'm trying to understand why I read so many people returning 5010/6010 for convergence problems, I read a TON of postings about it. My only guess is the convergence adjustment feature isn't very usable but am curious to hear how people explain all of the returned projectors...

In reading the posts here and in private email, it appears that Epson has a problem with ceiling-mounted (upside down) 5010/6010 installation. An Epson representative has said that is true and that they are working on a solution. This Epson employee suggested not mounting the projector on the ceiling (which as we know is how most HT owners mount them).

I have no idea what percentage of 5010/6010 customers are having convergence problems when the projector is ceiling mounted. I'm guessing that some customers aren't bothered by their pixel misalignment or are exchanging their projectors without even trying to adjust pixel misalignment.

As much as I like my 5010 (I didn't have any convergence problems with my 5010 but it is not mounted upside-down), I would be reluctant recommending the 5010/6010 to anyone planning on ceiling mounting it until Epson fixes this problem.

- David
dna is offline  
post #815 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

In reading the posts here and in private email, it appears that Epson has a problem with ceiling-mounted (upside down) 5010/6010 installation. An Epson representative has said that is true and that they are working on a solution. This Epson employee suggested not mounting the projector on the ceiling (which as we know is how most HT owners mount them).

I have no idea what percentage of 5010/6010 customers are having convergence problems when the projector is ceiling mounted. I'm guessing that some customers aren't bothered by their pixel misalignment or are exchanging their projectors without even trying to adjust pixel misalignment.

As much as I like my 5010 (I didn't have any convergence problems with my 5010 but it is not mounted upside-down), I would be reluctant recommending the 5010/6010 to anyone planning on ceiling mounting it until Epson fixes this problem.

Mine is ceiling mounted and I have issues...

Have only tried once to fix this pixel misalignment and gave up...will give it another shot soon..and then give up.

I can't shelf mount, so hopefully a fix is coming soon. I also can't get the image square, but that has GOT to be me...so I am continuing to work on that as well.

Other than that image and 3d is awesome..


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

toofast68 is online now  
post #816 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
CrocDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Mine is ceiling mounted and I have issues...

Have only tried once to fix this pixel misalignment and gave up...will give it another shot soon..and then give up.

I can't shelf mount, so hopefully a fix is coming soon. I also can't get the image square, but that has GOT to be me...so I am continuing to work on that as well.

Other than that image and 3d is awesome..

I decided to take mine down from the ceiling mount and set it up on a table like the Epson Tech suggested I do. Through my testing I found out that the projector doesn't seem to like the "ceiling front" setting at all. When I turn it on that setting the green pixel shadow appears next to each letter on the menu, and it really doesn't like to be turned upside down either (go figure). When it was on the table I was able to get it pretty close to perfect on the alignment, then I flipped it over and set it on its top and a little green (maybe 1/2 pixel wide) appeared next to each letter, then when I switched it over to "ceiling front" setting my problem was back (1 pixel wide green shadow).
The Epson Tech was totally right in his statements that there ARE issues ceiling mounting this projector. This might explain some of the forum member's issues and also explain why people that don't have theirs upside down are not having issues. So, here are my options:

a) Return the projector and hope I get one that doesn't have the same issue....

b) Find a way to make a shelf suspended from my ceiling, and leave enough room for lens adjustments and I will have to plug the hole I made for the down pipe with some kind of grommet.
CrocDoc is offline  
post #817 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 03:42 PM
dna
AVS Special Member
 
dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Fremont, CA U.S.A.
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post

When it was on the table I was able to get it pretty close to perfect on the alignment, then I flipped it over and set it on its top and a little green (maybe 1/2 pixel wide) appeared next to each letter, then when I switched it over to "ceiling front" setting my problem was back (1 pixel wide green shadow).

You are saying that just switching the "ceiling front" setting, you can make the problem come back? Presumably if you had done that when your 5010 was mounted on the ceiling, the problem would have pretty much gone away too. That's really interesting. That makes it sound like a software issue, not mechanical after all. If that's the case, maybe they CAN fix it by updating firmware. (Still no idea how that is done.)

- David
dna is offline  
post #818 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
KevinG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: S. Jersey
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post

I agree, needs to be a flat dark color.

Thanks for all of the info. We went with the extremely dark (almost black) green, in flat (or maybe it was matte...whichever one has less sheen).

Another note: My DaLite Cinema Vision 1.3 gain seems to have the exact same gain as the monoprice 1.0 gain screen that I returned...So, I can basically confirm what has been said here...the Cinema Vision 1.3 seems closer to 1.0 (but I didn't really need the full 1.3 anyway)

-Kevin
KevinG is offline  
post #819 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
CrocDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

You are saying that just switching the "ceiling front" setting, you can make the problem come back? Presumably if you had done that when your 5010 was mounted on the ceiling, the problem would have pretty much gone away too. That's really interesting. That makes it sound like a software issue, not mechanical after all. If that's the case, maybe they CAN fix it by updating firmware. (Still no idea how that is done.)

It is a combination of turning on the ceiling front (1/2 green pixel) and having the projector upside down (1/2 green pixel) that brings back the 1 green pixel I am seeing next to each letter in the menu. It seems to be software issue, but I can't rule out that something inside the projector might shift when it is inverted. Lens or LCD panels maybe?
CrocDoc is offline  
post #820 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Regarding number of people saying they've returned 5010s/6010s due to bad convergence (to get a replacement), I didn't say just in this thread but in the many threads that include the 5010/6010 in both the above and below $3K projector forums. Some people reporting going through 4 projectors until they get one with good convergence.

Only person I know that has repeated many time over the last year of exchanging 4 times for an Epson (8700ub) is coderguy.
I haven't read not one peron exchange more than once for a 5010 issue.
I know in the 3010 thread, a few have exchanged 2-3 times for various issues like convergence, iris noise and focus uniformity but not all 3 issues consecutively.

Anyway, at least Epsons warranty exchange is top notch compared to even some high end projectors that want the customer to pay shipping and some cases wait for their projector to be repaired with no replacement/loaner.
They just need to start testing replacement projectors before they are sent out.
I'm willing to wait a week if needed for a replacement if they would spend 5 minutes checking convergence, focus uniformity and iris/fan noise. If they fail those minimum tests, it should go to the repair department for resolution.

2014
42Plasmaman is offline  
post #821 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
sparky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: reno,nv.
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got my 5010 thur. today I discovered I have Dust Blob too bad to convergence is good. I guess I'll call someone, still shows 0 hrs dealer or Epson.?

mark
sparky7 is offline  
post #822 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

Got my 5010 thur. today I discovered I have Dust Blob too bad to convergence is good. I guess I'll call someone, still shows 0 hrs dealer or Epson.?

mark

I'd try to get the dealer to provide a New replacement.

Btw, what does the dust blob look like?
Does it show up on paper when you put a piece of white paper in front of the projector?

2014
42Plasmaman is offline  
post #823 of 3418 Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Only person I know that has repeated many time over the last year of exchanging 4 times for an Epson (8700ub) is coderguy.
I haven't read not one peron exchange more than once for a 5010 issue.
I know in the 3010 thread, a few have exchanged 2-3 times for various issues like convergence, iris noise and focus uniformity but not all 3 issues consecutively.

Anyway, at least Epsons warranty exchange is top notch compared to even some high end projectors that want the customer to pay shipping and some cases wait for their projector to be repaired with no replacement/loaner.
They just need to start testing replacement projectors before they are sent out.
I'm willing to wait a week if needed for a replacement if they would spend 5 minutes checking convergence, focus uniformity and iris/fan noise. If they fail those minimum tests, it should go to the repair department for resolution.

From the information I've read Epson is NOT doing that and people have received bad replacement projectors, I read someone reported there was a fingerprint on the INSIDE of the lens of their replacement 6010 projector.
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #824 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
sparky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: reno,nv.
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I'd try to get the dealer to provide a New replacement.

Btw, what does the dust blob look like?
Does it show up on paper when you put a piece of white paper in front of the projector?

Here's some thanks to Nevar but I have just one.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3046/pict1767nf9.jpg

mark
sparky7 is offline  
post #825 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

In reading the posts here and in private email, it appears that Epson has a problem with ceiling-mounted (upside down) 5010/6010 installation. An Epson representative has said that is true and that they are working on a solution. This Epson employee suggested not mounting the projector on the ceiling (which as we know is how most HT owners mount them).

I have no idea what percentage of 5010/6010 customers are having convergence problems when the projector is ceiling mounted. I'm guessing that some customers aren't bothered by their pixel misalignment or are exchanging their projectors without even trying to adjust pixel misalignment.

As much as I like my 5010 (I didn't have any convergence problems with my 5010 but it is not mounted upside-down), I would be reluctant recommending the 5010/6010 to anyone planning on ceiling mounting it until Epson fixes this problem.

This is really hilarious (and sad) in that the 6010 ships with a ceiling mount included!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #826 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

The vertical & horizontal lens shifts are tied together.
When you move one, the other will move slightly as well.

This is how I do my initial adjustment:

1. Turn V & H lens shift knobs as needed until it's at desired screen location.
2. Adjust zoom as needed to get close to the screen size.
3. Fine tune V & H lens shift.
4. Fine tune zoom.
5. Fine tune lens shift.
6. Adjust V lens shift slightly above screen than release V dial.
The V shift will usually move down on it's own and should be aligned with the screen.
7. Fine tune H lens shift.

The whole process may take a minute or so to the do initial set up.

Once setup up and focused, doing fine tuning later if/when the lens shift moves, usually down vertically, takes no more than 10-30 seconds to readjust.

Based on this posting I thought the design of the 5010/6010 was a SINGLE control (e.g., joystick) to control vertical and horizontal lens shift but I just looked at the manual and it shows SEPARATE controls for vertical and horizontal lens shift (much like my current projector that I use for CIH w/o anamorphic lens) so what you're getting at is internally when you adjust one it affects the other (despite separate controls)?
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #827 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Member
 
gen_x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa area, Canada
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post


This exactly what I am seeing and I am not able to correct it.... This is why I seeked out a replacement.

I had same issue but corrected with blue adjustment
gen_x is offline  
post #828 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Senior Member
 
CrocDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_x View Post

I had same issue but corrected with blue adjustment

How is yours installed? Ceiling? I could not get the convergence to work when mine was hanging from the ceiling.
CrocDoc is offline  
post #829 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post

It is a combination of turning on the ceiling front (1/2 green pixel) and having the projector upside down (1/2 green pixel) that brings back the 1 green pixel I am seeing next to each letter in the menu. It seems to be software issue, but I can't rule out that something inside the projector might shift when it is inverted. Lens or LCD panels maybe?

I set mine from shelf mount to ceiling mount and convergence did not change.

I noted a few pages back that I believe some issues arise when you are not at center lens shift.

I've found that having the projector ceiling mounted requires a quite a bit more V lens shift than shelf mounting at the same height.

Just look at the light output on the projector lens.
You can tell how far off you are from center.

2014
42Plasmaman is offline  
post #830 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Based on this posting I thought the design of the 5010/6010 was a SINGLE control (e.g., joystick) to control vertical and horizontal lens shift but I just looked at the manual and it shows SEPARATE controls for vertical and horizontal lens shift (much like my current projector that I use for CIH w/o anamorphic lens) so what you're getting at is internally when you adjust one it affects the other (despite separate controls)?

Yes.

2014
42Plasmaman is offline  
post #831 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
CrocDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I set mine from shelf mount to ceiling mount and convergence did not change.

I noted a few pages back that I believe some issues arise when you are not at center lens shift.

I've found that having the projector ceiling mounted requires a quite a bit more V lens shift than shelf mounting at the same height.

Just look at the light output on the projector lens.
You can tell how far off you are from center.

My lens was around 12" below the top of the screen, but when I set it up on the table (almost centered with the screen) and turned the 5010 upside down I still noticed the same issue. I have not tried it from a "high shelf" yet but I am not expecting anything different than I already have noted. When I looked the the image through the lens it seemed centered on the lens when it was hanging from the ceiling. I am not using any H - shift, just V. I am begining to think my 5010 is defective though. Did you notice any of what I have described when your was inverted?
CrocDoc is offline  
post #832 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post

My lens was around 12" below the top of the screen, but when I set it up on the table (almost centered with the screen) and turned the 5010 upside down I still noticed the same issue. I have not tried it from a "high shelf" yet but I am not expecting anything different than I already have noted. When I looked the the image through the lens it seemed centered on the lens when it was hanging from the ceiling. I am not using any H - shift, just V. I am begining to think my 5010 is defective though. Did you notice any of what I have described when your was inverted?

No convergence issues but did have blurring/bluming as I got further away from center when I was ceiling mounted.

2014
42Plasmaman is offline  
post #833 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Only person I know that has repeated many time over the last year of exchanging 4 times for an Epson (8700ub) is coderguy.

This is the biggest bologne. I never owned an Epson 8700ub, I owned the 8500ub, it was only returned twice before I gave up. That said, there were people that went through 7+ 8500ub's, go read the thread yourself. It was an epidemic in that if you got unlucky enough to get one with bad convergence, the chances of getting another one with bad convergence from the RMA were greater than 50%. There were MANY MANY convergence issues on the 8700ub thread as well, but the Epson is one of the highest sold projectors. Still, it has been a long-known history of convergence issues with Epson in the past. The 5010 I cannot speak to, not enough data, we have been over this before. The pixel adjustment feature is a great thing however.

I have always liked Epson for their stellar warranty service and policies despite convergence errors on older models. I do not think convergence is the main reason TO BUY or NOT to buy a projector for MOST people. If everything else is the reason you want to buy it, then buy this projector for sure, Epson will stand behind the product. The 3d is very good and the 2D is also exceptional on this projector. I am BIAS'd to JVC only because I like to be able to sit closer to the screen which the Epson lets you sit close, but not as close as the JVC. The JVC is a different animal than the Epson for a different group of folks. There are several people that get very angry over silly things...

I have recommended the Epson more than the JVC in threads, because people are wanting the best 3D, and we know the Epson has very good 2D, and much better 3D than the JVC.

Enuff said, case closed.

I am only trying to help people in here because I enjoy it, I am not trying to start these nasty projector wars as some people think. I had a hard-time with convergence across many different LCD's in the past, not just EPSON, so yes I am a little bitter about convergence and was just very happy I finally got a NON-DLP with near-perfect convergence. My comments about JVC probably having better convergence than the Epson if I were in VEGAS betting on it, well what do you expect that is my experience. It doesn't mean people shouldn't buy the Epson...



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coderguy is offline  
post #834 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey, I don't think he was slamming you...just making a comment. So he didn't have all the info...now all is good.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

toofast68 is online now  
post #835 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Since I know the guy from other threads, but I'll leave it at that...



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coderguy is offline  
post #836 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I noted a few pages back that I believe some issues arise when you are not at center lens shift.

Does the horizontal lens shift control have a default/centered position that you know it's in that position as you move the control to verify you are in the default centered position? My Sanyo PLV-Z5 feels like it locks (but doesn't) as you get in the default position for horizontal lens shift control (and same type of thing for vertical lens shift control). It has a separate lock slider that locks both vertical/horizontal lens shift controllers so they don't drift.
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #837 of 3418 Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
so I thought I should post my 5010 experiences here.
Lens Shift: Lens shift is sure a funky thing on this projector. I am high shelf mounting, like 5 inches above the top of my screen. I ended up putting the vertical higher than I wanted, then wiggling the horizontal to move the vertical slowly down where I needed. Kinda silly, but at least it isn't something you do a lot.
Focus: Non powered zoom/focus sucks. Climb ladder, adjust focus, get down and go to screen to check, climb back up, repeat. I miss the powered ones from my panny 2000.
Convergence: My red was a full 3 pixels off. How does that even happen? I was very sad, but then got into the menu. It is so super easy to adjust convergence, and fortunately that is powered. Once I realized I was adjusting the corner with the square (and not the menu which is in the opposite corner) it only took me 2 minutes to fix. It would be so silly to return the projector for such an easy fix. It took me a lot longer to get the lens shift and focus adjusted, and I certainly wouldn't return it for the focus being off. I understand there are other lens problems, but they didn't affect me luckily. I am using almost full horizontal shift to leave room for my acer, which has to be centered, although it is going away quick enough.

3D Dynamic mode seems to crank my fans to gas turbine mode. Luckily 3D Cinema mode is plenty bright. Does anyone else have crazy loud fans in 3D Dynamic mode? I am quite suprised they even have the ability to get that loud.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #838 of 3418 Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

Convergence: My red was a full 3 pixels off. How does that even happen? I was very sad, but then got into the menu. It is so super easy to adjust convergence, and fortunately that is powered. Once I realized I was adjusting the corner with the square (and not the menu which is in the opposite corner) it only took me 2 minutes to fix. It would be so silly to return the projector for such an easy fix.

What are people using to determine convergence being off (and getting down to the detail of how many pixels off)? The test pattern provided with the projector or some other source? I have a 6010 on order and want to be ready to check convergence when I get it soon.
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #839 of 3418 Old 01-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

What are people using to determine convergence being off (and getting down to the detail of how many pixels off)? The test pattern provided with the projector or some other source? I have a 6010 on order and want to be ready to check convergence when I get it soon.

There is a menu item within the projector itself that allows you to get into a edit mode that shows you pixels, etc.

But honestly I am still not 10000% sure how to do this correctly...meaning it seems like everything moves and I am struggling to get it perfect...and I don't even know what perfect it. It would be GREAT if someone could post pics to show what is actually supposed to be happening. I've tried this yet again and am so confused. Maybe I am just not getting it, but I fix one corner and the others go off, etc.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

toofast68 is online now  
post #840 of 3418 Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

This is the biggest bologne. I never owned an Epson 8700ub, I owned the 8500ub, it was only returned twice before I gave up. That said, there were people that went through 7+ 8500ub's, go read the thread yourself. It was an epidemic in that if you got unlucky enough to get one with bad convergence, the chances of getting another one with bad convergence from the RMA were greater than 50%. There were MANY MANY convergence issues on the 8700ub thread as well, but the Epson is one of the highest sold projectors. Still, it has been a long-known history of convergence issues with Epson in the past. The 5010 I cannot speak to, not enough data, we have been over this before. The pixel adjustment feature is a great thing however.

I have always liked Epson for their stellar warranty service and policies despite convergence errors on older models. I do not think convergence is the main reason TO BUY or NOT to buy a projector for MOST people. If everything else is the reason you want to buy it, then buy this projector for sure, Epson will stand behind the product. The 3d is very good and the 2D is also exceptional on this projector. I am BIAS'd to JVC only because I like to be able to sit closer to the screen which the Epson lets you sit close, but not as close as the JVC. The JVC is a different animal than the Epson for a different group of folks. There are several people that get very angry over silly things...

I have recommended the Epson more than the JVC in threads, because people are wanting the best 3D, and we know the Epson has very good 2D, and much better 3D than the JVC.

Enuff said, case closed.

I am only trying to help people in here because I enjoy it, I am not trying to start these nasty projector wars as some people think. I had a hard-time with convergence across many different LCD's in the past, not just EPSON, so yes I am a little bitter about convergence and was just very happy I finally got a NON-DLP with near-perfect convergence. My comments about JVC probably having better convergence than the Epson if I were in VEGAS betting on it, well what do you expect that is my experience. It doesn't mean people shouldn't buy the Epson...

As someone else mentioned/posted, you are the only one that came in to mind that swapped out an Epson(sorry I got the model # wrong) many times to deal with convergence issues. I was mearly pointing out I have not seen or recall anyone exchanging a 5010 4 or more times because of convergence.

Anyway, consider your own advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

PS:
People need to find alternatives to take out their agression instead of using these forums, go watch the movie "Warrior" about the boxer guy (good movie).
Go join a gym or go play a game of rugby without pads (something). Maybe there really is something in the water.


2014
42Plasmaman is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off