Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #991 of 3412 Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think the PS3 glasses are more comfortable than the Epson glasses. The epson are clearer and brighter (barely) so I wear them. You really need to try glasses for youself though. Every face is different. I liked my old Ultra Clear samsung compatible I used with my acer best.
Yes, I have a complete light control ht room with everything painted flat black and a high gain Vutec Silverstar. Putting the 5010 in Dynamic makes me laugh it is so bright. Don't need a tanning booth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3412 Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought the 5 PS3s to try and also for guests. I figure I'll try them out and if I don't like them, I can still buy myself a pair of Epson glasses. I would like 8 or so altogether and at $40-50 each they make the price more reasonable.

I have a 135" 1.2 gain AT screen that I have to light up in a light controlled and mostly black HT. I am looking forward to the brightness the 5010 will give me. I think I am at 3 flt right now with my old bulb - no joke!

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #993 of 3412 Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Liked: 10
i returned my 9000 today. (focus/blurring problem)
At the store, we see my 9000 side by side with the epson 6000.
the 6000 had better focus uniformity.
So im sure now, my 9000 it was damaged piece.
Also, every time i turn on my 9000, the epson logo appears with green color for 5-10 sec, and then was going slowly white.
The 6000 today at the store, when it turning on, we saw white logo immediately.

Also they told me if I want to exchange the 9000 with optoma hd83.
Side by side again with my 9000 and epson it was better at blacks, colors (out of the box both) grayscale.

The 9000 was superior against optoma hd83.
post #994 of 3412 Old 02-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post

That's good to hear. I don't remember what you were seeing convergence wise on your last one? Did you try to set this one up on a table to see if it got better? I noticed a shift in the green pixels in the menu when mine was upside down and I had it set to Ceiling Front. Problem completely went away when I set it up on a table and set it to Front. I really need to have mine ceiling mounted and hopefully the replacement is better at handling the ceiling mount then my first. I will be sure to report my findings out here.

I wanted to post an update on my issue. I have 25 hours on the replacement and this one does not have any issues being ceiling mounted. I saw some comments about iris noise and I though the loud servo sounds I was hearing from 8 ft away was "normal" on my old one. When I turned the iris to fast on the replacement I thought it was broken because I couldn't hear it working at all. I had to get a stepstool and look into the lens to see it working and it is near silent. I can't hear it over the fan noise at all.
post #995 of 3412 Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 PM

OK, so wen i adjust my horizontal shift is it normal for the vertical lense to move as well? Like when i move right it doesn't just move right, it moves more at an angle and if keep going left and then back right eventually the vertical shift has moved as well all the way to the bottom? Is this normal?

Thanks
post #996 of 3412 Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemos View Post

every time i turn on my 9000, the epson logo appears with green color for 5-10 sec, and then was going slowly white.

I have a 5010 and have sometimes noticed a definite green tint to the image when it first powers on, but it goes away after 10-20 seconds. I'm just assuming that the different color LCDs warm up at different rates or something. Unless someone says otherwise, I'm not going to worry about it.

The PJ does pretty well, otherwise. There was haloing below sharp images when I had a lot of lens shift, but I don't think I can mount it where I originally planned, anyway, so I'll just make an effort to shelf mount it closer to center. Got room, it'll just be on a wall centered-ish above a love seat.
post #997 of 3412 Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoccerbomb View Post

OK, so wen i adjust my horizontal shift is it normal for the vertical lense to move as well? Like when i move right it doesn't just move right, it moves more at an angle and if keep going left and then back right eventually the vertical shift has moved as well all the way to the bottom? Is this normal?

Thanks

Yes, it has been noted by others, and mine did it too. It sucks too. I ended up putting the vertical higher than I wanted and wiggled the horizontal to bring he vertical down where I needed. Quite silly, but at least it is a one time thing.
post #998 of 3412 Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a new issue. I turned my 5010 on and it made nasty noises but wouldn't turn on. I got a ladder and when I got back the loud fan noise was on, then it just stopped. I noticed the lens cover was still shut, so I gently slid it open. Then I saw a red light blinking. I unplugged it for a few seconds and plugged it back in and it turned on. It seems to be working now. I had it take an extra long time to start up before. Wonder if I have a bad lens cover. Off to find the service menu I guess.
post #999 of 3412 Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

I think the PS3 glasses are more comfortable than the Epson glasses. The epson are clearer and brighter (barely) so I wear them. You really need to try glasses for youself though. Every face is different. I liked my old Ultra Clear samsung compatible I used with my acer best.
Yes, I have a complete light control ht room with everything painted flat black and a high gain Vutec Silverstar. Putting the 5010 in Dynamic makes me laugh it is so bright. Don't need a tanning booth.

People definitely need to try both. I am 180 degrees opposite of this opinion, me and my spouse HATED the PS3 glasses (returned them to BB), felt they were okay for about 10 minutes then uncomfortable and we both LOVE the Epson glasses.
post #1000 of 3412 Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, not a very user friendly service menu. Just a mystic code. Emailed Epson support. Panasonic's is a lot better at telling you what component failed.
post #1001 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

People definitely need to try both. I am 180 degrees opposite of this opinion, me and my spouse HATED the PS3 glasses (returned them to BB), felt they were okay for about 10 minutes then uncomfortable and we both LOVE the Epson glasses.

OK, well that's good to know... I just wish my dang glasses would get here already! Fedex just changed their estimated arrival date on their tracking page last night, from Thursday to Friday, so now I gotta wait an extra day. I recieved my projector last Friday - can you imagine how frustrating it is not to be able to test the 3D on your new projector for an entire week??!?

Anyway, last night I took new photos of my revamped theater room after the Tropical Storm Lee flood back in September, including the new 5010 mounted on the ceiling, and finally updated the photos on the home page of my theater website freytheater.com - link is in in my sig if anyone wants to see my progress. I had 1-2" of water covering the entire basement, and had to rip out all the wall-to-wall carpeting and replace most of the interior walls. There's also a link at the bottom of the homepage to go to the theater reconstruction page, where I have about 70 photos of the flood and the entire recovery process... very exciting!

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #1002 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have both the Epson and PS3 glasses. I don't have issues with the PS3 glasses and I like the fact that they're rechargeable, relatively cheap and easily available. Buy them from BB and if you don't like them take them back. How many different opinions about pretty much everything are there on this forum?
post #1003 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I have both the Epson and PS3 glasses. I don't have issues with the PS3 glasses and I like the fact that they're rechargeable, relatively cheap and easily available. Buy them from BB and if you don't like them take them back. How many different opinions about pretty much everything are there on this forum?

Six.

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #1004 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I have a new issue. I turned my 5010 on and it made nasty noises but wouldn't turn on. I got a ladder and when I got back the loud fan noise was on, then it just stopped. I noticed the lens cover was still shut, so I gently slid it open. Then I saw a red light blinking. I unplugged it for a few seconds and plugged it back in and it turned on. It seems to be working now. I had it take an extra long time to start up before. Wonder if I have a bad lens cover. Off to find the service menu I guess.

Where is this "red light blinking" located?
On the case?

*Mine did this and it was a bad bulb:

Turn on projector
Fan in high mode
Lens cover opens
Fan is now in very high mode.
No light output
Lamp led on projector flashes red(manual indicates possible bad lamp)
Few minutes later, lens cover closes and projector shuts off.

*I unplugged it for about 5 minutes and powered back on and it worked normally for another 5 on/off cycles and it did it again.

I called Epson and had them send me a replacement lamp.
No issues since lamp was replaced.

post #1005 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrf View Post

I have a 5010 and have sometimes noticed a definite green tint to the image when it first powers on, but it goes away after 10-20 seconds. I'm just assuming that the different color LCDs warm up at different rates or something. Unless someone says otherwise, I'm not going to worry about it.

My original/current unit and a replacement they sent me done the same thing.
It's done this since day one.
Like you said, after the Epson logo is displayed, it will fade to the normal color in about 30 seconds.

post #1006 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 AM

You could turn the Epson logo of in the menu, and then you wouldn't notice the green logo upon warm up.
post #1007 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM

My Epson logo is very dim and green colored when I first power the projector up, and the logo even goes away long before the lamp is even at 1/4 brightness. I booted up to my HTPC the other night, and the whole desktop image was very off-color and green at first - it seemed to take almost two minutes before the lamp and colors came up to full brightness and with correct color -but I did have the projector set in ECO Cinema mode at the time. I also just assumed this projector has a lengthy warm-up period... My old HD20 DLP projector only had about a 15-second warm up period, so I'll just have to get used to the longer delay on the new projector.

I suppose when I am showing a movie, I could power up the projector a few minutes early, and just hit the Blank button on the remote to hide the warm-up period, then unblank it when everyone is seated and ready to start the movie.

post #1008 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

I suppose when I am showing a movie, I could power up the projector a few minutes early, and just hit the Blank button on the remote to hide the warm-up period, then unblank it when everyone is seated and ready to start the movie.

When I expect guests, I power on the projector 30 minutes prior to arrival, test the blu-ray disc & make sure it has no player updates required.

post #1009 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if it was my lens cover. It has always made nasty noise when it opened. I thought that was normal. Today it opened very quietly. *fingers crossed*

While I greatly admire the Frey Theater and great web site, I went with the Henry Ford motto. Any color you want, as long as it is black. The Epson is the only thing in my theater that isn't flat black. I should have gone with the 6010.
post #1010 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

I should have gone with the 6010.

If my 5010 works fine - I might take out a spray can
post #1011 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

If my 5010 works fine - I might take out a spray can

Make a custom vinyl wrap.

http://superwraps.com/custom_wraps.php

post #1012 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Make a custom vinyl wrap.

http://superwraps.com/custom_wraps.php

Nice Idea but NO STRIPES
post #1013 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Perhaps you could try to order the plastic case parts for the 6010 directly from Epson - isn't the case identical, just black? I'm sure that would be a salty purchase, though - IF Epson would even make the case parts available...

post #1014 of 3412 Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

Perhaps you could try to order the plastic case parts for the 6010 directly from Epson - isn't the case identical, just black? I'm sure that would be a salty purchase, though - IF Epson would even make the case parts available...

I AGREE 100% with that idea
post #1015 of 3412 Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Nice Idea but NO STRIPES

I bought the 6010 and just installed it yesterday to my completely white room

I actually was thinking the opposite with you. I can switch the casing with you as white will fit to my room better. That Black hovering UFO up there is an eyesore of some sorts
post #1016 of 3412 Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozer19 View Post

I bought the 6010 and just installed it yesterday to my completely white room

I actually was thinking the opposite with you. I can switch the casing with you as white will fit to my room better. That Black hovering UFO up there is an eyesore of some sorts

sounds like a great idea
Drhankz at Comcast dot net
post #1017 of 3412 Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Just installed the 6010 last night. Damn this thing is beautiful. Calibrated it off that Disney WOW Blu Ray disc and it was almost perfect right out of the box. Up graded from an OPTOMA HD66
post #1018 of 3412 Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Enjoying the 6010 very much. I have noticed as some, that their seems to be some blurring/bloomin of pixels, below the bottom half of the screen. 16' throw 126" vutec bright white screen, upside down ceiling mount. Not really affecting the pq from 14', and the 3D has been great, with very little ghosting and plenty bright allowing for some ambient light in normal, (eco) living room mode.

One thing that bugs however is the cheapness feel of the lens shift wheels. The verticle shift tends to slowly drift down after it's been set. I wish they would've made the adjustments a little more robust/firm.

What pic settings you using? I just installed mine and used the Disney WOW Blu Ray Calibration Disc
post #1019 of 3412 Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlraglin View Post

What pic settings you using? I just installed mine and used the Disney WOW Blu Ray Calibration Disc

I'm mostly using the living room/eco mode. I like the brightness of the picture, and allows me to have some ambient light.

I havn't done any calibration really, except adjusting the convergence some. The red was off about 1/2 pixel in some areas of the screen. I did also try some settings that Art mentioned in his review at projector reviews.

I may spring for a pro calibration after I get a few more hours on it, but not being a true videophile, I've been very happy with the picture it puts out. Much better picture than my older Sony HS20 I upgraded from.
post #1020 of 3412 Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM

ok so read this entire thread and decided to purchase a 5010. I have owned a panasonic 3000,in the past and currently own a samsung sp-a900b dlp projector.

I am very surprised that the epson does not allow me to change the aspect ratio of the image to fit my 2.35:1 screen when playing 16:9 content. It does not have a built in scaler like my current projector and the panny i owned in the past. It does not let you change when running the image through hdmi or component outputs.

Is this ok with everybody? Even when i have a 16x9 screen there are times i want to zoom in horizontically etc to fill up the entire screen. It seems silly that epson did not include this as an option.

Do you guys just go without scaling because you dont believe in distorting the image? Or can i use an external scaler of some sore.

Currently i am using a ps3 as my player but am willing to change to a different player if i need to.

Also considering sending this projector back to projector people and getting the panasonic instead just because of the absence of this feature.

I just wonder why after all the reading i did, i didnt read anything about the espons lack of scaling capability.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page