Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
*Be cautious and very mindful when making adjustments.

I played around with it a little more and you can skew it up easily.

I was aligning the left side and it looked good but then when I looked at the right side, the red panel was crooked. Like a full pixel to high on the right side only and at angle.

I had to restore back to default and start over.

When you are adjusting the panels at specific coordinates, it's like tapping a piece of glass. If you tap down just on the top left, it moves the entire panel down on the left as a whole but the right side corner stays in place.
So the right will now require adjustment.
*See attached picture example of what happens.

I've found sticking to the center coordinates to make panel adjustment was the safest without skewing one of the panels to be aligned crooked.

I basically leave all 4 corner adjustments at default.
Then the last step of the alignment allows you to select specific coordinates and make adjustments. I select coordinates near the center and make adjustments.

*I also found that when ceiling mounted, it seems the direction of adjustment is reversed.
LL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I should mentioned that I did not have to upgrade my HDMI cables for 3D (HDMI v1.4a compliant).
I'm at about 46 feet total cable length (25ft in wall, 15 feet from wall to projector, 6 feet from receiver to wall) - there are 2 HDMI wall plates in this chain, which are from Monoprice.

I'm using all Monoprice cables.
25ft 22AWG CL2 High speed cable & the other 2 are 24AWG CL2 Standard speed cables.

post #93 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I should mentioned that I did not have to upgrade my HDMI cables for 3D (HDMI v1.4a compliant).

I wouldn't expect you to - 1080p60 is actually a higher data rate than 1080p24 3D (same as 1080p48 would be).
post #94 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 AM

studlygoorite, do you think you could also provide a lag test on the 6010? I'm curious to see if they made any changes to the lag versus the 5010.
post #95 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxdengar View Post

studlygoorite, do you think you could also provide a lag test on the 6010? I'm curious to see if they made any changes to the lag versus the 5010.

WHY would they - it is the same unit with BLACK Skin.
post #96 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Can anyone comment on how loud the fan is on their 5010/6010 in high lamp mode?

Art mentioned this in his review that the 5010 is loud (32dB):
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...ce.php#audible

When I had the 3010, I don't remember it being that loud.
post #97 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I measured -40db about 2 feet away using my iPad DB meter.

I actually have a Dell Latitude E6510 with a i5 CPU and when the fan kicks in on high, it's about the same loudness as the 5010 in normal mode.

post #98 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I measured -40db about 2 feet away using my iPad DB meter.

I actually have a Dell Latitude E6510 with a i5 CPU and when the fan kicks in on high, it's about the same loudness as the 5010 in normal mode.

That's fairly loud. How is it in eco mode?
post #99 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

That's fairly loud. How is it in eco mode?

Virtually silent - specs say -22db but I can't hear it all during silence unless I try(concentrate ) to hear it.

post #100 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxdengar View Post

I'm a big gamer and am curious about the lag myself. As long as I get more kills than deaths I'll be happy.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #101 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Mine is coming in today also. Can't wait to see this thing in action.
The lag thing doesn't bother me much. I suck at games anyhow. Now I'll have an excuse.

It's here
IT'S HERE!

Too bad that I have to work late tonight and early tomorrow moring.

Come on Saturday afternoon!
post #102 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Virtually silent - specs say -22db but I can't hear it all during silence unless I try(concentrate ) to hear it.

I'm sure that the fan on my Behringer EP4000 will be louder than the projector. Someday I may do the fan swap on the amp though.
22db is pretty quiet. You'd have to be d'm close to hear that.
post #103 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 03:16 PM

I cant wait to hear some more from future buyers on the 5010, i am sort of steering in this direction.

I want to pull the trigger next week and buy either the 5010 or JVC x30.
post #104 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog_2005 View Post

I cant wait to hear some more from future buyers on the 5010, i am sort of steering in this direction.

I want to pull the trigger next week and buy either the 5010 or JVC x30.

I was at the same cross roads as you a week ago.
I canceled my RS45 pre-order because right now, there is to much uncertainty on if the bulb dimming issues has been addressed.

Also, if you browse the RS45 & RS55 threads, there seems to be no change in the ghosting/crosstalk issues with 3D from the previous models.

The JVC 3D glasses are also much more expensive and you have to buy the 3D emitter as well. This tacts on another ~$400 for 2 glasses and an emitter.

I don't doubt the JVC will have better blacks but without having both to do an A/B comparison, you might not miss it.

The Epson will also have a brighter output which is needed for 3D due to the tinting of 3D glasses. It also has the 480hz panels compared to 120hz on the JVC.

May be in about 6 months, I might look to see how thing are going on the JVC's and perhaps make a switch.
Until then, I'll enjoy my 5010.

post #105 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 03:34 PM

So I decided to go with the 5010 and received it yesterday.

First impressions were pretty bad, as it took a very long time to setup.

Out of the box the lens was tilted somehow so that when vertical lens shift was at it's maximum height, it was still pointing at the floor.

Seemed to be something to do with the zoom and horizontal lens shift, eventually got it properly centered, but found the using the lens shift to be very hard to use, as the vertical, horizontal and zoom are all tied together. For example, if you have it shifted left, when you zoom, the zoom won't go 'straight' but will instead zoom in the direction it's shifted, so you will need to shift it back to the right after you zoom. If you shift it up while it's shifted to the left, it will shift it to the right, and you will have to shift it back to the left, which will shift it down and so on. Overall it was incredibly frustrating compared to my previous projector setup ( AX200 ).

That out of the way, it was a much better experience, with a signficantly improved image quality over the AX200, and interestingly, it was also a lot brighter than I had been led to expect by the reviews. Cinema mode is comparable to the 'Vivid Cinema' mode on the AX200, which was very bright. Switching the 5010 to 'Living Room' mode, the windows desktop was like the light of the sun - the room was much brighter than my electric lights can make it. ( 133" 1.3 gain screen ).

Trying out dual stream and SBS 3D from some HTPC sources it worked very nicely, other than the need to manually switch the projector's 3D mode to Side by Side.

This is where my largest annoyance to date reared it's head though. For some reason, if you switch the 3D mode to SBS and then turn 3D off, it still expects SBS images even though 3D is off, and chops up your 2D, which obviously looks terrible.

I thought I would give nividia 3d settings a go, as they apparently do the 2d to 3d switch automatically. This turned out to be true, but the only way that it works is that the video settings are always in 3d mode, even when showing 2d content. This means the projector is stuck in it's 3d mode, which disables CFI and iris.

Overall it's a lot more painful to switch back and forth from 3D than I thought it would be !
post #106 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM

I decided I am going to order the 5010 next week instead of the jvc, I just do not want to take any chances with the bulb or poor 3d performance, it's going to be a big upgrade for me over the optoma hd20 I currently have, can't wait to get it.
post #107 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 PM

ok a couple quick impressions before I go play with it more.

Blacks are really really good. When the whole screen goes black on a scene change or something, the first time it happened I almost though something went wrong.... The iris on fast mode was not audible during the movie, but when I mute the sound I can hear it. I had to mute it as I didn't hear it once and was concerned it may not be working lol.. Compared to my z2000 iris this thing is much better.

I watched about 10 mins of Tangled in 3D. Really impressive! I can't wait to watch a whole film.

Input lag? I've connected my PC up to it via HDMI. At first I thought "oh yeah I can feel it" but after turning NR off and the frame interpolation off, I can't really tell. Played about 20mins of batman and had no problems. Control felt just fine and not laggy at all. I will hook up my PS3 later and see how that goes.

Fan on eco mode is basically silent, no real difference from my Z2000.

My only complaint so far is I can't focus the entire screen. For some reason the bottom right is ever so slightly blurry while the rest is fine. I only noticed it when I connected my PC though and saw text down there. Was not noticeable until then so not a big deal.

Overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase!
post #108 of 3434 Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyGuy311 View Post

My only complaint so far is I can't focus the entire screen. For some reason the bottom right is ever so slightly blurry while the rest is fine. I only noticed it when I connected my PC though and saw text down there. Was not noticeable until then so not a big deal.

Sounds like your screen might possibly not be completely flush. It might not be a projector issue at all.
post #109 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ok a couple quick impressions before I go play with it more.

Blacks are really really good. When the whole screen goes black on a scene change or something, the first time it happened I almost though something went wrong.... The iris on fast mode was not audible during the movie, but when I mute the sound I can hear it. I had to mute it as I didn't hear it once and was concerned it may not be working lol.. Compared to my z2000 iris this thing is much better.

I watched about 10 mins of Tangled in 3D. Really impressive! I can't wait to watch a whole film.

Input lag? I've connected my PC up to it via HDMI. At first I thought "oh yeah I can feel it" but after turning NR off and the frame interpolation off, I can't really tell. Played about 20mins of batman and had no problems. Control felt just fine and not laggy at all. I will hook up my PS3 later and see how that goes.

Fan on eco mode is basically silent, no real difference from my Z2000.

i too have the sanyo z2000 how does it com pare in image, sharpness,and of cource blacks.... how big is your screen now?|

and is there a huge difference like night and day between the sanyoo z2000 and the epson|? thanks
post #110 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velk View Post

...found the using the lens shift to be very hard to use, as the vertical, horizontal and zoom are all tied together. For example, if you have it shifted left, when you zoom, the zoom won't go 'straight' but will instead zoom in the direction it's shifted, so you will need to shift it back to the right after you zoom. If you shift it up while it's shifted to the left, it will shift it to the right, and you will have to shift it back to the left, which will shift it down and so on. Overall it was incredibly frustrating compared to my previous projector setup ( AX200 ).

I was going to ask about the lens shift controls, and I guess that answers it (unless others have a different experience). I've seen other PJs where H and V shift are not truly independent, and each one affects the other to some degree. Makes manual zooming between aspect ratios a real pain if you have a CIH setup. Which is a pity, because lack of motorized zoom/shift and lens memory is the only thing the 5010 is lacking (for me), and I was hoping that switching manually might be relatively easy.
post #111 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I got mine yesterday. So far it looks great still in the box with the 2 sets of glasses and 3D movies I bought sitting on top of it. At work today running a complete inventory count.
post #112 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondeast View Post

i too have the sanyo z2000 how does it com pare in image, sharpness,and of cource blacks.... how big is your screen now?|

and is there a huge difference like night and day between the sanyoo z2000 and the epson|? thanks

It beats the sanyo in all aspects, my wife even commented on how sharp the image looked. We watched Green Lantern which I swear is 90% dark scenes... Picture looked amazing.
post #113 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I was going to ask about the lens shift controls, and I guess that answers it (unless others have a different experience). I've seen other PJs where H and V shift are not truly independent, and each one affects the other to some degree. Makes manual zooming between aspect ratios a real pain if you have a CIH setup. Which is a pity, because lack of motorized zoom/shift and lens memory is the only thing the 5010 is lacking (for me), and I was hoping that switching manually might be relatively easy.

Yeah I did notice that when setting it up. I would get the V just right, and adjusting the H would make the V move up. I had to set the V lower than I wanted and then make my final H adjustment.

For me this wasn't a big deal as I set it and forget it.

My Sanyo would overtime shift it's positioning, will take a while to determine if this has a similar problem.
post #114 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Make sure the front of the projector is parallel to the screen.

What I do is take a measuring tape from the back wall to the notch on the front side of the projector.
Measure both the left and right side of the projector.
They should be equal.

You'd be surprised what may look "good" can be off by an inch to one side.

Also, make sure the projector is level.
I bought a couple of those 2 inch levels perfect for placing on top of the projector.

Once you have those items set, then adjust the lens shift and zoom.

When focusing, it's best to focus on some text about half way between the center to the left or right edge.

post #115 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I did notice that when setting it up. I would get the V just right, and adjusting the H would make the V move up. I had to set the V lower than I wanted and then make my final H adjustment.

For me this wasn't a big deal as I set it and forget it.

My Sanyo would overtime shift it's positioning, will take a while to determine if this has a similar problem.

My Z2000 never moved once set since the Z2000 has a lens shift lock.
My issue was the ceiling mount moved over time because it use friction adjusters instead of gears.

post #116 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

This may seem like a crazy question, but here goes.
I went to mount my 5010 using my old mount (used on my Sanyo Z-4). The holes can line up with no problem, but the hardware is different. The mounting holes for the Sanyo are much larger, and the Epson came with no mounting hardware. So, before I run to Lowes buying an assortment of screws, does anyone know what size I'll need?
post #117 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It beats the sanyo in all aspects, my wife even commented on how sharp the image looked. We watched Green Lantern which I swear is 90% dark scenes... Picture looked amazing.

Great. How big is your screen? I will be going from 92" with Z2000 to 133" with epson
post #118 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pulled the trigger yesterday. Funny pretty much been my obsession the last few weeks and was certain I was going to order the 5010 or the RS45 online. Had a Sony Ruby coming up on its 4th lamp and thought after 5 years it was time for a change. In the end I found the 6010 had just appeared locally. Spent some time with one dealer Thr looking at JVC X3 and Epson 8700(he just mentioned he had the 6010). Thinking about when I could get installed decided hell just pick it up and do it myself this weekend. Called at 3:15 on a Friday and the rep had left for the day...kinda bummed. Decided to swing by the dealer I normally use and voila they had one setup and another needing a new home. The rep "clerked" the sale. I told him that is what I came for and with 15 minutes I was back at work. Actually glad I bought it locally. I think local dealers are struggling given the economy and the big boxes

Decided to post this here and the other 6010 forum, didn't realize this one included the 6010. Probably just post the rest here from now on.
post #119 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Spent last night putting it up-my first time putting it up myself-was hoping to use my existing mount but didn't work out that way. All in all a learning experience and it hasn't fallen on me yet. Had to keep the whole switch quite as I forgot to tell my wife.I don't have everything 100% yet but very watcable so far. I dont have a 3d blueray player and will most likely have to run new HDMI in the celing so I'm good for this weekend. UK plays shortley so I didn't want to take a chance on not seeing the game.

Build quality is certainley not in the leaque of the Ruby, felt like I was getting rid of an older Lexus for a new Camry. Given Epson's reputation for service/warranty think I will be fine.

The blacks are better,deeper. The noise level at normal is unacceptable I think, unless your sound would be very loud to drowned it out. Eco I guess will by my default.

Look forward to hearing others feedback and getting setup tips as I go along. The Sony was rock solid from day one hope the Epson is as reliable.
post #120 of 3434 Old 12-10-2011, 01:32 PM

]Yeah I did notice that when setting it up. I would get the V just right, and adjusting the H would make the V move up. I had to set the V lower than I wanted and then make my final H adjustment.

I thought it was just me. I still don't have everything 100%. The upcoming stories on ESPN sportscenter are not straight top to bottom. After the UK game I will worry about everything else. The mount that comes with 6010 has several adjustments I thought it may be them. Hope the wife doesn't notice the different color case between the Ruby and the Epson.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page