cwt
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRDnhorns View Post

There is a fix for Oppo - Epson HDMI Issue. I contacted Oppo on Saturday and by Sunday they sent a link to a USB method Firmware update. Oppo said Runco and Nad have similiar issue. Can not ask for better suport!

Thanks VRDhorns thats great news ; so far in Aus they want us to send our 9000's in to a service center for fear of bricking it with the 104 firmware rather than giving us the usb option thats in the wild

What a contrast with oppo's position ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 3460 Old 04-16-2012, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsub View Post

I am trying to order the projector mount for EPson 5010 from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10911

The Tech support in MonoPrice is not 100 % sure whether these projector mounts will work with 5010 (For example, the first one listed in the above link) and they are asking distance between mounting holes for 5010. I am not finding this information anywhere. Has anyone here purchased ceiling mounts from Monoprice and installed successfully. If yes, pls share the product code #.

I purchased this mount

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

but had to modify it with a two steel plates and some locking bolts i picked up at Lowes for $8. All in all the mount works great and I spent less than $30
post #1623 of 3460 Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjr43 View Post

I purchased this mount

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

but had to modify it with a two steel plates and some locking bolts i picked up at Lowes for $8. All in all the mount works great and I spent less than $30

That was the one that I got also...and modified... Still too wobly, IMHO. If anyone is interested in having it, I'd gladly put it in a box and ship it to you for the cost of shipping only.
post #1624 of 3460 Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

No but then you can't adjust the projector side to side to align it to the screen.
The pipe/pole allows you to adjust the projector left-right to make the front of the projector parallel to the screen.
Without the pipe/pole, you must align the projector while mounting it to the ceiling.

The PRG-UNV does allow a certain amount of right-left turning since the mounting holes are slotted as clearly shown in the installation instructions. Is a pole mount better? Yes, I agree it does make it simpler.

http://www.peerlessmounts.com/pcatta...6-9024-1-5.PDF

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1625 of 3460 Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
gtv

Decided to upgrade from my old standby Panny PT-L300u. (near the end of my second lamp @ 4000 hrs) Ordered a 5010 last weekend to get the $100 discount and a free extended warranty of 1 year (3 years total).

Can't wait to see the difference in technology and performance! Ordered 4 epson 3D glasses as well and I have a 106 inch screen with 1.0 gain matte white screen. Thanks for all the input from previous posters that drove me to the Epson 5010 decision!
post #1626 of 3460 Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Thanks VRDhorns thats great news ; so far in Aus they want us to send our 9000's in to a service center for fear of bricking it with the 104 firmware rather than giving us the usb option thats in the wild

What a contrast with oppo's position ..

FW update thread for the Epson 5010/6010 here, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1399426&page=8 if you havn't read it?

Send me a PM if I can help.
post #1627 of 3460 Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

FW update thread for the Epson 5010/6010 here, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1399426&page=8 if you havn't read it?

I'd advise people to upgrade to v1.04 they already haven't done so.
Just for the smoother side to side panning alone is worth the upgrade and the quieter iris is a big plus.

post #1628 of 3460 Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:

I'd advise people to upgrade to v1.04 they already haven't done so.
Just for the smoother side to side panning alone is worth the upgrade and the quieter iris is a big plus.

Did you get the firmware update installed? How did you get it? (I have been away for a little while)...
Thanks.
post #1629 of 3460 Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Thanks for the kind offer jnabq ; yes I have been reading about it but at this stage want to see what our retailer out here will do 1st ; he may be more flexible than the distributor. In the back of my head is the possibility its a slightly different software for a non US tw9000 ? and Ime not that courageous - yet

Can wait a week till he's back from China
post #1630 of 3460 Old 04-17-2012, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

at this stage want to see what our retailer out here will do 1st ; he may be more flexible than the distributor. In the back of my head is the possibility its a slightly different software for a non US tw9000 ?

I understand and can't blame you for exploring all your options, as I would do the same. Hope you get it squared away soon!
post #1631 of 3460 Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

YES Most people use the Peerless PRG-UNV Mount.

I bought mine at Amazon you can get it in WHITE or BLACK.

And don't forget the Peerless Industries - Peerless Round Ceiling Plate

Is there a custom ceiling plate that fits the 5010 projector? model number?

thx

3D Display - Epson TW9000w 3D Projector | 3D Player - Panasonic BD-110 3D player/PS3 | 3D Receiver -  Onkyo TX-NR818 | Speakers - Klipsch Reference 5.1 Speakers | PB12-NSD SVS Subwoofer

post #1632 of 3460 Old 04-17-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbug View Post

Is there a custom ceiling plate that fits the 5010 projector? model number?

thx

I am Not sure what you are asking.

To me a ceiling plate is the flange that attaches to the Ceiling.
The answer to that question is - NO.

If you are asking about a Custom Plate for the Projector.
The answer is also - NO.
The Peerless PRG-UNV Mount works fine.
post #1633 of 3460 Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 PM

I will be installing an Epson Pro Cinema 6010 3D projector and as I understand it they use an active polarized shutter system meaning you should not use a polarized screen has anyone used the 145" Vutec Silverstar 3D-P or 3D-A screen with this projector?

Thank you

-Wesley

Wesley
System Integrator
Beach Home Theater
post #1634 of 3460 Old 04-17-2012, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motovet View Post

I use both the vertical and horizontal shift with my limited placement, and it works just fine. Only off on the horizontal about 4", but above the top of the screen about 7".
Mine is the 5010, and it has a good image, but when compared to my pro clibrated plasma, it needs some work once I get some hours on it. Lumagen and chromapure standing by..........

Biggest issue I have right now is getting the 5010 to see the OPPO when I fire up a movie. All other inputs work flawlessly.

You must turn on the OPPO (93 or 95) AFTER the Epson is on and HDMI 1 is selected. The HDCP screws up the selection process and is part of the movie industry tyranny to result in pay-per-view on all their stuff.
post #1635 of 3460 Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM

No 3D joy.

I'm using a 120 inch screen at 1.3 with the 5010 and even with the 'Dynamic 3D' automatic bright level (and it is very bright), I think that most of the movies like "Immortals" or "Conan" are too lacking in "picture pop" (Contrast Ratio) to be impressive. Almost all the 3D films with the exception of the IMAX 3D "demos" just do not have any impressive 3D content. People tell me that "Avatar" 3D does--?
I switched over to 2D; the movies look 100% better, and now I'm waiting for 4K to show up. Am I doing something wrong?
Comments?
post #1636 of 3460 Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 PM
dna
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachHomeTheater View Post

I will be installing an Epson Pro Cinema 6010 3D projector and as I understand it they use an active polarized shutter system meaning you should not use a polarized screen has anyone used the 145" Vutec Silverstar 3D-P or 3D-A screen with this projector?

Epson does not use a 3D polarized shutter system in their 5010/6010 projectors. You can use any screen you want.

- David
post #1637 of 3460 Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Arroyo View Post

No 3D joy.

I'm using a 120 inch screen at 1.3 with the 5010 and even with the 'Dynamic 3D' automatic bright level (and it is very bright), I think that most of the movies like "Immortals" or "Conan" are too lacking in "picture pop" (Contrast Ratio) to be impressive. Almost all the 3D films with the exception of the IMAX 3D "demos" just do not have any impressive 3D content. People tell me that "Avatar" 3D does--?
I switched over to 2D; the movies look 100% better, and now I'm waiting for 4K to show up. Am I doing something wrong?
Comments?

Sounds like you're watching the wrong movies for best 3D experience. The type of movies you listed are too dark, for one thing. Animated movies are by far the best. Typically much brighter anyway, they can get away with exaggerating depth to make the 3D much more impressive. Try something like Legend of the Guardians or Monsters vs. Aliens. If these types of movies aren't your cup of tea, maybe you should stick to 2D.
post #1638 of 3460 Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:

You must turn on the OPPO (93 or 95) AFTER the Epson is on and HDMI 1 is selected. The HDCP screws up the selection process and is part of the movie industry tyranny to result in pay-per-view on all their stuff.

Hmmm. How can I use the Harmony then? Swithcing all on at once. I'm looking for the update and try that.
post #1639 of 3460 Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm. How can I use the Harmony then? Swithcing all on at once. I'm looking for the update and try that.

Contact oppo

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21911160
post #1640 of 3460 Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post

Sounds like you're watching the wrong movies for best 3D experience. The type of movies you listed are too dark, for one thing. Animated movies are by far the best. Typically much brighter anyway, they can get away with exaggerating depth to make the 3D much more impressive. Try something like Legend of the Guardians or Monsters vs. Aliens. If these types of movies aren't your cup of tea, maybe you should stick to 2D.

I don't think that is very constructive advice. No one should have to limit their viewing selection to embrace 3D content having acceptable brightness.

It's been a well known, well discussed fact that 3D as shown by most of today's PJs needs the use of a screen of at least 1.7 gain, and NOT because the content is too dark, but because the PJs cannot produce the content at a high enough Lumen level due to the PJs own inadequacies. This is born out by almost all 3D-capable PJs having a special "Brightness" output setting, as well as the fact that such complaints are seldom expressed by those with lower resolution 3D DLP PJs that have roughly 2x the Lumen output in 3D mode. Also by the fact that most 3D advocates tend to limit their Screens to at/under 110" diagonal, with many well under 100"s

Viewing conditions and room specs often play as much of if not a vital role in it all. 3D content must often be viewed in almost completely controlled lighting (Complete Darkness) when the content is not CGI-oriented, and because of the reduced lumen output, any degree of reflection of projected light off a nearby wall or ceiling surface can have a disproportionally adverse effect.

But above all else, the size of the screen and the placement distance of the projector are the most important factors to consider. maintaining the shortest Throw distance and the smallest screen area to match screen to PJ specs is the only right and correct way to get optimal performance.

In the case of Gil Arroyo, I sense two things as being complicit;

1. He already owned a 1.3 gain Screen of a particular size and could not / would not change to something more ideally suited for 3D content. (...unfortunate, but easily understandable...)

2. Experience viewing 2D Content via a PJ like the Epson is a spoiling affair, and used as a judgement against 3D view-ability, isn't really an appropriate bellwether to judge by considering 3Ds limitations at present as is in relation to 3D PJ displays.

Regardless, if the die is cast on screen size, the only possible remedy is changing the Throw distance of the PJ to within 10% of the minimum distance needed to fill his screen area. If Gil Arroyo is at the half-way point (...which seems to be the del-facto standard for most owners...) then such a change would effect a considerable improvement....probably all he would need. If he's at the far end of the Throw distance potential, the difference would be almost exponential.

If he's already at the closest possible throw distance, without going with a higher gain surface, he's essentially at an impasse.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #1641 of 3460 Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I don't think that is very constructive advice. No one should have to limit their viewing selection to embrace 3D content having acceptable brightness.

It's been a well known, well discussed fact that 3D as shown by most of today's PJs needs the use of a screen of at least 1.7 gain,

I strongly agree with MississippiMan.

I have been using Projectors since 1996 when the PJs used CRTs
which had marginal light. I installed a Screen with a GAIN of 2.0
DAY-ONE because of the low light from CRTs.

Today with my Epson 5010 - 2D in Eco mode is very bright and
in 3D mode is PERFECT.

It is about Screen Gain.
post #1642 of 3460 Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

I am Not sure what you are asking.

To me a ceiling plate is the flange that attaches to the Ceiling.
The answer to that question is - NO.

If you are asking about a Custom Plate for the Projector.
The answer is also - NO.
The Peerless PRG-UNV Mount works fine.

Oops.

That last answer is not correct. The Chief RPA 168 Dedicated Projector Plate is a perfect match for the 3010/5010/6010.

It's the same plate used for the 8000 / 9000 series Epsons, and it was a good show of common sense that Epson retained the Mounting hole pattern.

I've used both those Mounts, and by far the preference goes to the RPA 168

As far as a Ceiling Plate, then you do want to go with the Peerless ACC-570
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut...%20Round&type=

It has a 1.5" NPT Threaded Opening (...as does the Peerless PRG mount...) so one can easily mate the ceiling Mount with the PJ Mount using either a Threaded Steel Nipple of whatever desired length, or Sched. 40 PVC cut to a specific length and with two Male Threaded PVC Couplings , one at each end. That's most often my preference because the PVC can be exactly the length you want / need, and it accepts paint far more readily than the Steel does.

Shop carefully. Both items can vary wildly in price. By far the best source for both is Projector People. ($135.00 and $19.00 respectfully)
Ask for Kurt Katari (ext 2002) as he knows specifically the What/& Wherefore of both items.

Tell him MississippiMan sent you. He'll help you anyway.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #1643 of 3460 Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure which Harmony remote you have but my 550 has the option in the menu's to select the sequence of how each device is powered on.

It's located some where under the Activity options.

Make the Oppo the last device to be turned on and the Epson the first.

post #1644 of 3460 Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:

in 3D mode is PERFECT.

It is about Screen Gain.

I yield to the high-gain crowd! You're absolutely right, I do NOT have a high-gain screen, so that should make a tremendous difference. I have noticed this issue in theaters also (like with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland), but I would imagine that the 5010/6010 on a high-gain screen would make that film look terrific in 3D.
post #1645 of 3460 Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 PM

My 5010 is finally on its way (yay!) . However, in the process of figuring out the 3D setup I ran into stuff that I (think) I don't quite get. I am also not sure if this is an XBMC question or an Epson question - apologies if it is not relevant to this forum.

I have a Win7 box + XBMC Eden + with Radeon DDR5 6670 + unencrypted 3D Blu Ra + HDMI 1.4a compliant cable. I discovered that there are different types of 3D.... there is 3D-SBS , FULL 3D , STEREOSCOPIC 3D.. and potentially some other types of 3D that I dont know yet. Should I care about this ? I am not sure if / what implications are or what I need to look for.

Do I need anything else special to view the 3D Blu-ray content directly to the Epson if I am using a Win7 box to play the content?

Updated: I clearly need to hone my google skills. Finally saw this post on the XBMC forum that answers some of my 3D questions.
post #1646 of 3460 Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

in 3D mode is PERFECT.

It is about Screen Gain.

Wow, I run an Epson 5010 on a 120" plain white screen with no gain, and the projector is mounted 13.5 feet from the screen. I'm using the OEM Epson glasses, and I have the glasses setting at medium brightness. I run all my 3D movies on the 3D Cinema mode, which is of course less bright than 3D Dynamic mode...

With this setup, I have no issues with the brightness of 3D movies at all, I think they are very bright the way it is now... But, I am in a total light-controlled basement room with no windows. I can't even imagine 3D cranked up on a 2.0 gain screen, I'd have to wear sunglasses over the 3D glasses over my prescription photo-gray glasses...!

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #1647 of 3460 Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

It's been a well known, well discussed fact that 3D as shown by most of today's PJs needs the use of a screen of at least 1.7 gain, and NOT because the content is too dark, but because the PJs cannot produce the content at a high enough Lumen level due to the PJs own inadequacies. This is born out by almost all 3D-capable PJs having a special "Brightness" output setting, as well as the fact that such complaints are seldom expressed by those with lower resolution 3D DLP PJs that have roughly 2x the Lumen output in 3D mode. Also by the fact that most 3D advocates tend to limit their Screens to at/under 110" diagonal, with many well under 100"s

Viewing conditions and room specs often play as much of if not a vital role in it all. 3D content must often be viewed in almost completely controlled lighting (Complete Darkness) when the content is not CGI-oriented, and because of the reduced lumen output, any degree of reflection of projected light off a nearby wall or ceiling surface can have a disproportionally adverse effect.

But above all else, the size of the screen and the placement distance of the projector are the most important factors to consider. maintaining the shortest Throw distance and the smallest screen area to match screen to PJ specs is the only right and correct way to get optimal performance.

In the case of Gil Arroyo, I sense two things as being complicit;

1. He already owned a 1.3 gain Screen of a particular size and could not / would not change to something more ideally suited for 3D content. (...unfortunate, but easily understandable...)

2. Experience viewing 2D Content via a PJ like the Epson is a spoiling affair, and used as a judgement against 3D view-ability, isn't really an appropriate bellwether to judge by considering 3Ds limitations at present as is in relation to 3D PJ displays.

Regardless, if the die is cast on screen size, the only possible remedy is changing the Throw distance of the PJ to within 10% of the minimum distance needed to fill his screen area. If Gil Arroyo is at the half-way point (...which seems to be the del-facto standard for most owners...) then such a change would effect a considerable improvement....probably all he would need. If he's at the far end of the Throw distance potential, the difference would be almost exponential.

If he's already at the closest possible throw distance, without going with a higher gain surface, he's essentially at an impasse.

Mississippi man:
THANK YOU for the extensive review of my problem. No, not much interested in any of animated films unless they develop a plotline or get more serious. The theater is built for grownups.
Main complaint is film content that does not justify 3D....and the dark scenes are too dark. That goes for neighborhood theater as well.
I am using both 1.3 screens at 15 feet from projector in blackout room with considerable reflection flat black compensation. A curved screen (also 1.3) at 100" and a 120" roll down.

Although the IMAX films demonstrate 3D nicely with the Epson 5010 , none of the feature films like "Carmen", "Immortals" or Conan" that should be interesting 3D films have any real or interesting use of 3D at all. Just watched "Last Airbender"--stupid script and hardly any impressive use of 3D. And, a boring script to boot.
I do zoom down to smaller dimensions of the big screens if resolution needs help--don't have to fill the screens. The zoom down fixes the resolution issue but the change in brightness is not enough to compensate.
I have deleted all 3D feature films from library and will stick to IMAX 40 minute 'made for 3D' demo films, 2D, and wait for 4K with breathless anticipation.
Additionally, high gain screens have hot spots and other problems like true color reponse. Not about to switch screens.
Thanks for the comments. gil
post #1648 of 3460 Old 04-19-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Additionally, high gain screens have hot spots and other problems like true color reponse. Not about to switch screens.
Thanks for the comments. gil

That is an OLD wives tale people say to sell you their low gain screen.
Good Stewart Screens are worth the gain and the big bucks.

Enjoy you Movies.

I do agree - most 3D movies are short on plot content.
post #1649 of 3460 Old 04-19-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a good read on high power screens

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773065

post #1650 of 3460 Old 04-19-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a good read on high power screens

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773065

He never tested Stewart but only offered opinions when ask.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page