Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1711 of 3384 Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Member
 
spikerdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post

+1

I have 142" now and will be purchasing a 174" very soon.

I live in Peterborough Ont Studly. Where do you buy your screens?
spikerdawg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1712 of 3384 Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
vegashomes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I turn on my dvd player to listen to music does the projector sense that input and turn on?
vegashomes is offline  
post #1713 of 3384 Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashomes View Post

If I turn on my dvd player to listen to music does the projector sense that input and turn on?

If your DVD player is directly connected to the projector HDMI & it supports HDMI link, it might.

In my case, if I leave HDMI link enabled on the projector, everytime I turn on the receiver, which is directly connected to the projector, the projector would turn on.

2014
42Plasmaman is offline  
post #1714 of 3384 Old 04-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Member
 
jlamb1051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an epson 5010 with about 50 hours on it. I have read through the entire forum and have seen various posts about blurriness on the 5010, but wanted some ideas for picture improvement...I have my projector ceiling mounted at 1" above screen height using no vertical shift and some horizontal shift to drop picture down. My convergence on the projector appears to be very good maybe only 1/2 pixex off. I seem to get a pretty good focus on the projectors internal menu, however, when moving the menu around the screen, some areas are not quite as well focused as others (middle top center and bottom seem better than focus at left or right menu positions). I have a sammy c6900 and a dish vip722 running through a denon 4311 to the projector. I have video convert setting set to on on the 4311, but i/p scaling off. When displaying the menu on the vip722 at standard sharpness setting, it looks very blurry. When I turn on advanced sharpness and set to 20/20/8/8 it looks better. On the 6500ub that I replaced with 5010, the vip722 menu looks similar at standard sharpness to the 5010 at advanced. I also notice the same comparison on the c6900's home screen. Does anyone have any advice that may help this sharpness issue? Any settings you recommend trying? Maybe I just don't have enough hours on it? I plan on doing a full HCFR cal when i get a few more hours, might this help with the blurriness I am seeing?

Edit: I do have firmware 1.4 and I project onto a 106" screen at approx 12'

JL
jlamb1051 is offline  
post #1715 of 3384 Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Member
 
toni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post

In natural mode or dynamic mode. it is possible.

You sacrificing sepurb picture quallity for size.
Or you have a Plasma quallity screen of 110"or just a projected picture of mwsiocre quallity but huge.
To me,... I rather sit closer and have a stunning picture
I have a HC screen of 106"and a White screen of 120"
when I lower the larger screen people are impressed by the size, but most of the time they find it to big for watching movies, specially with subtitles.
When I let them see the 106"version they are more impressed by the quallity of that picture.
So now this is the screen that I use for most of the time.

The same is with the cinema's.
When I go to the Pathé Cinema here, with 14 theatres in the building.
You have a few theaters that are smaller than the larger ones, but they use the same projector, so you end up with a mpre dynamic quallity picture.
I'm alway's happy when the same movie play's in those smaller ones.
The largest theatres are very dim in picture quallity and the pans are dramatic and sharpness is bad.

My 2ct's

----------------
I quiet agree : there is the real mesured size and the relative (angular) size (which gives the real impression of size ) . If you are sitting nearer to a small screen you get a bigger angular size and bigger impression of size (more imersive without sacrificing quality.
toni1 is offline  
post #1716 of 3384 Old 04-27-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamb1051 View Post

I have an epson 5010 with about 50 hours on it. I have read through the entire forum and have seen various posts about blurriness on the 5010, but wanted some ideas for picture improvement...I have my projector ceiling mounted at 1" above screen height using no vertical shift and some horizontal shift to drop picture down. My convergence on the projector appears to be very good maybe only 1/2 pixex off. I seem to get a pretty good focus on the projectors internal menu, however, when moving the menu around the screen, some areas are not quite as well focused as others (middle top center and bottom seem better than focus at left or right menu positions). I have a sammy c6900 and a dish vip722 running through a denon 4311 to the projector. I have video convert setting set to on on the 4311, but i/p scaling off. When displaying the menu on the vip722 at standard sharpness setting, it looks very blurry. When I turn on advanced sharpness and set to 20/20/8/8 it looks better. On the 6500ub that I replaced with 5010, the vip722 menu looks similar at standard sharpness to the 5010 at advanced. I also notice the same comparison on the c6900's home screen. Does anyone have any advice that may help this sharpness issue? Any settings you recommend trying? Maybe I just don't have enough hours on it? I plan on doing a full HCFR cal when i get a few more hours, might this help with the blurriness I am seeing?

Edit: I do have firmware 1.4 and I project onto a 106" screen at approx 12'

JL

1" above the top the screen and no vertical lens shift?
Are you using keystone adjustment?

2014
42Plasmaman is offline  
post #1717 of 3384 Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
FreyTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amish Country Lancaster, PA
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

1" above the top the screen and no vertical lens shift?
Are you using keystone adjustment?

I'm pretty sure he meant he's "using no horizontal shift and some vertical shift to drop picture down"... just a typo.

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

FreyTheater is offline  
post #1718 of 3384 Old 04-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Member
 
jlamb1051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes. I meant no Horizontal and using vertical....sorry for the confusion. Any ideas?
jlamb1051 is offline  
post #1719 of 3384 Old 04-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
studlygoorite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikerdawg View Post

I live in Peterborough Ont Studly. Where do you buy your screens?

I went through East Hamilton Radio for my Black Diamond but paid as much as purchasing direct. My next one will either be through Chris at Seymour or a Da Lite through AVS or another online sales rep, dunno yet, still waiting for a couple more samples.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
studlygoorite is offline  
post #1720 of 3384 Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Member
 
spikerdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I'll be waiting to hear what you bought, from where, and how much. Thanks again.
spikerdawg is offline  
post #1721 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Member
 
Chupalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post

Thsnk you for that.
I did read this a long time ago and forgot about it.
I think I have the exact same problem, and I'll hope it has something to do with the firmware.
Tuesday I will calibrate my projector again, and expecting great difference.
If not I'm going to send my unit back, since Art got a second unit send to him because of this.

Any luck re-calibrating the gamma?
Chupalt is offline  
post #1722 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
vegashomes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does polarity matter for the 12v trigger?
vegashomes is offline  
post #1723 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Member
 
Matthieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After Updating the projector from 100 to 104, The colors stayed the same to my surprice.
I calibrated the cinema mode but the gamma curve was stil like this \\.
So I started calibrating the Natural mode again.
This time I did it in Calman's Gamma setting: Power
This looks fantastic.
The Gamma curve is strait almost perfectly from 0-100 and I was stunnend.
Still I could not get the Primary colors of the triangle in the corners.
The triangle is just to small.
In Cinema mode the triangle is much TOO large, and it is easy to get the dots inside, but it is impossible to get them to the outside.
This is very disapointing.
I hoped this would be fixed with the 3 newer updates.

But okay, it is all on the chart.
After calibrating this projector and the updates that made this projector smoother, this projector is even more incredible.

I tried 3D and indeed this is very smooth now too.
You can choose a brighter setting now, but middel is good enough for me.
Matthieu is offline  
post #1724 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
falafala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post

After Updating the projector from 100 to 104, The colors stayed the same to my surprice.
I calibrated the cinema mode but the gamma curve was stil like this \\.
So I started calibrating the Natural mode again.
This time I did it in Calman's Gamma setting: Power
This looks fantastic.
The Gamma curve is strait almost perfectly from 0-100 and I was stunnend.
Still I could not get the Primary colors of the triangle in the corners.
The triangle is just to small.
In Cinema mode the triangle is much TOO large, and it is easy to get the dots inside, but it is impossible to get them to the outside.
This is very disapointing.
I hoped this would be fixed with the 3 newer updates.

But okay, it is all on the chart.
After calibrating this projector and the updates that made this projector smoother, this projector is even more incredible.

I tried 3D and indeed this is very smooth now too.
You can choose a brighter setting now, but middel is good enough for me.

Where does one need to send the PJ for a FW upgrade ? EPSON ? Will they pay for the shipping costs ?
falafala is offline  
post #1725 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
FreyTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amish Country Lancaster, PA
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post

After Updating the projector from 100 to 104, The colors stayed the same to my surprice.
I calibrated the cinema mode but the gamma curve was stil like this \\.
So I started calibrating the Natural mode again.
This time I did it in Calman's Gamma setting: Power
This looks fantastic.
The Gamma curve is strait almost perfectly from 0-100 and I was stunnend.
Still I could not get the Primary colors of the triangle in the corners.
The triangle is just to small.
In Cinema mode the triangle is much TOO large, and it is easy to get the dots inside, but it is impossible to get them to the outside.
This is very disapointing.
I hoped this would be fixed with the 3 newer updates.

But okay, it is all on the chart.
After calibrating this projector and the updates that made this projector smoother, this projector is even more incredible.

I tried 3D and indeed this is very smooth now too.
You can choose a brighter setting now, but middel is good enough for me.

After I performed the 104 FW update on my 5010, the color levels did not seem to change either, at least visually to my eye... unfortunately I only have a WOW calibration disk, so I will do as much as that allows me to do. I have noticed a few positive things after the 104 update:

I did have to realign the convergeance, my previous settings were still there, but they were no longer correct. Blue convergeance was pretty much perfect across the entire screen with almost no adjustment from 0 settings at all; for red I got the four corners adjusted to perfect convergeance, and in the center of the screen red is only off about a half-pixel right. The white text on the menu screen really looks sharp now. The firmware also fixed the issue of opposite-screen-side adjustments with the projector hanging upside down; adjustments now take place in the same corner as the yellow square, as it is supposed to.

Super resolution settings definitely have visible changes between all 5 levels now, and I found I could set it up to 3 with no real visible ringing in the picture. Movies looks REALLY sharp now.

The iris is definitely much less noisey than before the upgrade - whatever the firmware did to modify the iris motion did quiet it down to about half the sound level it was before the upgrade. I have the iris set on "Fast" now, and once I get more than 2 feet from the projector, I can hardly hear the iris at all, even in quiet parts of a movie. It is no longer a distraction for me.

I have not played a 3D movie yet to see how the 3D pulldown fix in the firmware affects motion pans, will probably do that tonight.

Overall, it is definitely worth the upgrade - this projector is really working nice now. Maybe Home Theater Magazine should redo their review of the 5010 after doing the firmware update - it might get a more positive review than what we got in their May special projector issue...

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

FreyTheater is offline  
post #1726 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
vegashomes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 104 FW also for the 6010?
vegashomes is offline  
post #1727 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jwv651's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 5,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

Overall, it is definitely worth the upgrade - this projector is really working nice now. Maybe Home Theater Magazine should redo their review of the 5010 after doing the firmware update - it might get a more positive review than what we got in their May special projector issue...

That not so nice review is what's been holding me up from buying the 5010 and also the convergence issues. Would you say the PQ is sharp on the 5010. It's either the 5010 or the Benq W7000 I'm looking at. But I'm leaning toward the 5010 because of the excellent inky blacks. Just can't make up my mind!

Joe V.
jwv651 is offline  
post #1728 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jnabq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albq. NM, USA
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Where does one need to send the PJ for a FW upgrade ? EPSON ? Will they pay for the shipping costs ?

No need to send it anywhere, FW is available online for the 6010/5010. ftp://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson14639-FW104.zip Just need to download it from Epson's website, and install using Windows XP OS, (some older versions as well, but not Windows 7), with a mini-usb. The last couple of pages here http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...1399426&page=9 has most of the info.
jnabq is offline  
post #1729 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jnabq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albq. NM, USA
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashomes View Post

Is the 104 FW also for the 6010?

Epson 5010/6010 and some have used it on their European counterparts with success. See above post
jnabq is offline  
post #1730 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jnabq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albq. NM, USA
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

That not so nice review

Actually, I don't think the review is all that bad myself. It seems when he rewrote it, he was almost gushing about how good it looked...

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...0-3d-projector

and in the "bottom line" comment, "most people will love it" and "brilliant, if slightly flawed"? This sounds nice enough to me. So, it's slightly flawed for inaccurate color I guess? And although this review is for the 5010, the 6010 THX mode has very accurate color, according to most reviews.

"PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 is a brilliant, if slightly flawed, projector. I would say most people would love it, and rightly so. If you don’t mind inaccurate color and want an enormous and bright image, it’s hard to find anything better than the 5010"

Maybe I'm just a glass half full guy?
jnabq is offline  
post #1731 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
falafala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

No need to send it anywhere, FW is available online for the 6010/5010. ftp://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson14639-FW104.zip Just need to download it from Epson's website, and install using Windows XP OS, (some older versions as well, but not Windows 7), with a mini-usb. The last couple of pages here http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...1399426&page=9 has most of the info.

Sorry for a silly question, but where can I find new firmware for 3010 ?
falafala is offline  
post #1732 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
FreyTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amish Country Lancaster, PA
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Actually, I don't think the review is all that bad myself. It seems when he rewrote it, he was almost gushing about how good it looked...

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...0-3d-projector

and in the "bottom line" comment, "most people will love it" and "brilliant, if slightly flawed"? This sounds nice enough to me. So, it's slightly flawed for inaccurate color I guess? And although this review is for the 5010, the 6010 THX mode has very accurate color, according to most reviews.

"PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 is a brilliant, if slightly flawed, projector. I would say most people would love it, and rightly so. If you don’t mind inaccurate color and want an enormous and bright image, it’s hard to find anything better than the 5010"

Maybe I'm just a glass half full guy?

OK, that's a review by Geoffrey Morrison. I was referring to the Epson 5010e review in Home Theater Magazine, May 2012, p. 60, by Kris Deering. The Epson was reviewed along with the JVC X30, Runco Q-650i, and Sony VW1000ES. The Epson was the only one of the four that did not get a "Home Theater Top Picks" rating. So I wonder why they put the Epson on the front cover - as a consolation, perhaps...?

That Sound and Vison review is a bit better review.... but it could still be better - his issues of uneven color is not something I'm experiencing at all; my projector is very evenly colored across the entire image, even on test screens. I'm just shy of 200 hours on my bulb.

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

FreyTheater is offline  
post #1733 of 3384 Old 04-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
 
FreyTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amish Country Lancaster, PA
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Sorry for a silly question, but where can I find new firmware for 3010 ?

Well, if there are any firmware updates for the 3010, it would most likely be in that same FTP directory as the 5010/6010 file - if you go to the folder level of that firmware link, ftp://ftp.epson.com/drivers/ , you'll see they have files for all their products in there, dating as far back a 1997 - you just gotta know what the filename is your looking for. Good luck with that - it's probably best to just contact Epson and ask them...

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

FreyTheater is offline  
post #1734 of 3384 Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwv651's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 5,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Actually, I don't think the review is all that bad myself. It seems when he rewrote it, he was almost gushing about how good it looked...

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...0-3d-projector

and in the "bottom line" comment, "most people will love it" and "brilliant, if slightly flawed"? This sounds nice enough to me. So, it's slightly flawed for inaccurate color I guess? And although this review is for the 5010, the 6010 THX mode has very accurate color, according to most reviews.

"PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 is a brilliant, if slightly flawed, projector. I would say most people would love it, and rightly so. If you don't mind inaccurate color and want an enormous and bright image, it's hard to find anything better than the 5010"

Maybe I'm just a glass half full guy?

I was talking about a different review that was in Home Theater Magazine. BTW Thanks for the web site from Sounds and Vision, S&V wasn't overly thrilled about the 5010 either. I'm hopeful with future firmware updates things will get better.

Joe V.
jwv651 is offline  
post #1735 of 3384 Old 04-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
mystik610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any actual experience with the wireless HDMI capability of this projector? I'm wanting to know how reliable it is. Did a search, but have not been able to find any comments on real world use of this function.
mystik610 is offline  
post #1736 of 3384 Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Member
 
Matthieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The wireless HD is perfect.
It does not do Deep Color.
Deep Color isn't on Blu-Ray Disk either, so no loss there.
Deep Color is however on HD-Camcorders, now a day's

It does do 3D 1080P HD without any loss.
I was very sceptical about this myself, but I was VERY surpriced when I bought my TW9000W.
It is not the same as Wifi for your internet.
This is much faster.

I'm not sure if it is healthy though.
I'm watching a lot with my kids, and I'm thinking of going cable afterall.
Matthieu is offline  
post #1737 of 3384 Old 04-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Member
 
GeoffreyMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

I was talking about a different review that was in Home Theater Magazine. BTW Thanks for the web site from Sounds and Vision, S&V wasn't overly thrilled about the 5010 either. I'm hopeful with future firmware updates things will get better.

Not sure why you think I wasn't "overly thrilled" with the 5010. We gave it a "Certified and Recommended" award. It's not perfect, but no product is. If black level and contrast ratio is your thing, the X30 blows it away. I reviewed that here:
residentialsystems.com/article/71376.aspx

I reviewed them them back to back. The Epson's strength is its incredible light output. It's one of the brightest projectors I've ever measured. If I picked a pull-quote from the review, it'd be this: "I'd say the Epson was like a muscle car: Sure, it can't turn or brake, but when you floor it... bam!"
GeoffreyMorrison is offline  
post #1738 of 3384 Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Rob from NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just purchased the Epson 5010. It's my first projector and I have 2 basic questions. My installation date for ceiling mount is scheduled for Monday, May 7. I threw a picture on the wall to ensure the projector works ahead of schedule. I was surprised how good the picture looked right out of the box, thus, am excited for the projector to be mounted.

Started to play with the vertical and horizontal lens shift dials. How do you readjust the dials to know when the dials are at the position where no lens shift is occurring?

Also, noticed that the aspect ratio was set at Normal while playing a blu-ray connected via an HDMI source (1080p signal). Understand from the manual that when displaying a 1080p signal through the HDMI port the aspect ratio is automatically selected and I cannot change it. I was expecting a Full setting for an image that was not a TV broadcast, computer image or 4:3 aspect ratio. Is the Normal aspect ratio selected because the movie was filmed in 2.35:1 format? If yes, does the setting change to Full when filmed in a 16:9 format?

I apologize if these questions were answered in previous posts. Any guidance to the above questions is appreciated.
Rob from NJ is offline  
post #1739 of 3384 Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jnabq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albq. NM, USA
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob from NJ View Post

Just purchased the Epson 5010. How do you readjust the dials to know when the dials are at the position where no lens shift is occurring?

There is a noticeable "indention" you can feel that will tell you when you've found the center of the horz shift dial. I don't think the vert dial has one?

Page 26 of the manual regarding the "aspect" button.

Select one of these settings:
■ Normal-for standard TV broadcasts, computer images, or images with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
■ Full-for images recorded in 16:9 (wide-screen) format and squeeze mode.
■ Zoom-for letterbox images.
■ Wide-for expanding a 4:3 image to 16:9 so it fills the whole screen. This stretches only
the right and left sides of the image; the central part is unchanged.

Not sure if that answered your question?
jnabq is offline  
post #1740 of 3384 Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Member
 
hslansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased and installed the Epson 6010 and have noticed a strange behavior. When I first turn on my cable box the picture starts out with washed out colors and slowly improves over time. This does not occur when I start watching a DVD. Is this normal? If not, does anyone have a suggestion on how to correct it or how to diagnose the problem.
hslansky is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off