Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2791 of 3418 Old 01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It totally depends on the screen gain, but is very unlikely to be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3418 Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I have Owned Projectors since 1979 when Henry Kloss finally released, the first large screen
projection television for home use. In 1977, Kloss founded Kloss Video Corporation (KVC)
as a spin-off company. He invented the Novatron tube there, which increased the efficiency
of projection TVs.

Epson does not have the best quality control but they have the BEST CUSTOMER SUPPORT
and will get your PJ running.

They do have great support, but my problem is I am on my third projector. They keep sending my junky projectors that have been "refurbished" but all have the same issues. Convergence ranges from bad to terrible. My current projector's red is two full pixels off. My best one was a full pixel off. They have rare random startup issues (not rare on my first one), so I have to go dig the ladder out of the garage and go up and unplug it and plug it back in. I know I can call and get it replaced with another, but I am certain it will come with the same problems. My next projector will be a Panasonic 8000. I don't know how I could sell this thing with known issues so it will just sit on a shelf. Hopefully Panasonic isn't making them in China too, seems like a bad idea.
post #2793 of 3418 Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm getting some ghosting on dark scenes with lots of movement on the 6010. The chain is Panasonic DMP-BD30 - HDMI - Integra DTC 9.8 - HDMI - 6010. Has anyone else experienced this? The BD titles I noticed it on are Frenzy and The Raid. I'm wondering if I might have a setting wrong on either the Blu-ray player or the Epson. Any suggestions gratefully received.
post #2794 of 3418 Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalfox View Post

I'm getting some ghosting on dark scenes with lots of movement on the 6010. The chain is Panasonic DMP-BD30 - HDMI - Integra DTC 9.8 - HDMI - 6010. Has anyone else experienced this? The BD titles I noticed it on are Frenzy and The Raid. I'm wondering if I might have a setting wrong on either the Blu-ray player or the Epson. Any suggestions gratefully received.

What our your picture settings & color mode?
Turn off Deep Color on the BD player.
Turn off HDMI link or what ever it's called on the projector.

When you say ghosting, do you mean you are seeing tracers during certain scenes or an image burn when scenes switch from bright to very dark?

Have you noticed this on other blu-ray movies?

post #2795 of 3418 Old 01-20-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

What our your picture settings & color mode?
Turn off Deep Color on the BD player.
Turn off HDMI link or what ever it's called on the projector.

When you say ghosting, do you mean you are seeing tracers during certain scenes or an image burn when scenes switch from bright to very dark?

Have you noticed this on other blu-ray movies?

Thanks, Plasmaman.

Using THX Mode (Eco) with Auto Iris at Normal, Super White set to On. Blu-ray player has no Deep Color, but has a Lighter/Darker option for black output, but this is set to Darker.

HDMI Link is not active.

I hope I'm using the correct terminology when I say 'ghosting', but I think it's the symptom that people used to complain about on older LCD TVs: a character moves from, say, left to right and leaves a ghosting image behind them. Haven't had the projector long enough to test out many BD titles but the symptom seems to show up during darker scenes with grey and pastel tones.
post #2796 of 3418 Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I just hit 500 hours on the lamp and I'm starting to notice some brightness loss.
I run in Natural color mode and ECO light mode.
I could use Normal lamp mode but I hate the added fan noise.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
So I decided to play around with Living Room color mode using the Disney WOW disc and actually got a fairliy bright image with decent color. Actually not too bright either in my bat cave.

Probably not as good as it could be with a real calibration but without a comparison, most people probably can't tell.
Anyway, try the setting if you like.
The black level/contrast will be raised due to the added light brightness but the added brightness adds some pop to the PQ.

I had the same problem. However built a hushbox for mine (created thread about this if interested) so I don't mind using normal on some movies and on 3d ofcourse. (Also hated the noise, even at eco during long views since it's right over my head)

Can someone use the 2d-3d function on material from a pc or similar (2d material) with folders up (just have a 1 or 2 folders up) and snap a picture in that mode?

I recently sent in mine for repairs, and the 2d 3d still looks twisted to the right (edges of folders curve to right) although they did fix some of the crosstalk in normal 3d so it looks less annoying with crosstalk mostly visible on pop out objects while quite sharp in the depth and normal view distance in 3d film. (They also seem to have replaced the bulb which had run 700h, since image in eco mode is brighter now, so that was nice too)

Just want to make sure that my unit works as intended so would appreciate this. (Also would be nice with some info in 3d in general if you can visibly see any crosstalk in for example avatar somewhere in the 3d movie. As I said for me it is visible when branches and stuff sticks out from screen, or corridors closest to the viewer)
post #2797 of 3418 Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and a bit of a noob. Sorry if this has already been answered in the 96+ pages of this thread but I couldn't find the answer. My question is if the Epson 6010 supports 1080p/24fps (or 1080p/24p)? My Pioneer receiver can upconvert or display Blu-Ray in this format but I wanted to check if my projector supports this format (I'm pretty sure it does but wanted to confirm). If is does, is this automatic or is there a setting on the projector I have to turn off/on?

Also any idea's on a cheap anamorphic lens I could add to my setup to take advantage of 2.35 movies? I am going to be building a dedicated theater room in my basement soon and I was looking at getting into the anamorphic lens and screen.
post #2798 of 3418 Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny1979 View Post

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and a bit of a noob. Sorry if this has already been answered in the 96+ pages of this thread but I couldn't find the answer. My question is if the Epson 6010 supports 1080p/24fps (or 1080p/24p)? My Pioneer receiver can upconvert or display Blu-Ray in this format but I wanted to check if my projector supports this format (I'm pretty sure it does but wanted to confirm). If is does, is this automatic or is there a setting on the projector I have to turn off/on?

Also any idea's on a cheap anamorphic lens I could add to my setup to take advantage of 2.35 movies? I am going to be building a dedicated theater room in my basement soon and I was looking at getting into the anamorphic lens and screen.

It supports all frame formats.

I Think anamorphic lens are a WASTE of Money.
post #2799 of 3418 Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

It supports all frame formats.

I Think anamorphic lens are a WASTE of Money.

I have an anamorphic lens sitting in my closet. It really wasn't worth it. Even already owning the lens there is no way I would bother going 2.35 again.
post #2800 of 3418 Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

I have an anamorphic lens sitting in my closet. It really wasn't worth it. Even already owning the lens there is no way I would bother going 2.35 again.

+1
post #2801 of 3418 Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM

Liked: 11
I am curious why you have no love for 2:35? I have a 100 inch 1:78 Stewart Screen paired with my Epson. My dream setup is a 2:35 setup with anamorphic lens and a masking screen for 16 x 9 content. When I watch a widescreen movie I yearn to see no bars with a bigger screen. I'm hoping to one day upgrade to the 2:35. with a 140" 2:35:1 and 110" 1:78. Do you guys watch a lot of sports or regular TV. If so, then I understand why- because you then are not optimizing your screen size. I'm figuring if I mask the screen then I get the best of both worlds- I upgrade my screen size for sports and sat TV by 10 inches then get the huge payoff with the 140" for widescreen movies which should fit my home theater space perfectly.

So sell me as to why you don't like or want 2:35 with the anamorphic lens? Maybe then my wife would be happy for me not to spend additional money on both a new high power masking screen and lens!
post #2802 of 3418 Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It made more sense in the old days of really poor black level projectors, but now you really don't notice the black bars. I checked my movie collection and more than half were 1.78. So half the time the black bars would be on the side and yes, you can mask, but you can mask the other way too. It was all more work than it was worth. I ended up using my projector to play xbox and ps3 and PC too. If I was to do 2.35 I would just go with a Panny 8000 and use the lens memory feature. Then you don't need to keep a ladder handy to move the silly lens out of the way. I still wouldn't worry about masking. The only work then is pushing a button on the remote. Plus the Wal-mart version of Transformers with the iMax scenes is pretty awesome when it switches from 2.35 to 1.78 for the big robot battles. smile.gif
post #2803 of 3418 Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny1979 View Post

I think the cheapest anamorphic lens you can buy is the Epson-recommended Panamorph lens which is around $1495. You can find dealers at www.panamorph.com. I actually agree with wnielsen in that you might as well zoom out to watch scope. Most projectors now are so bright and have such amazing black level output (like the 6010) that you don't really need an anamorphic lens. If you do decide to buy an anamorphic lens from Panamorph, there are various parameters you need to be aware of (including a minimum throw of 14ft). I actually have a constant height set-up with a 2.35 screen. I prefer the aesthetic of Cinemascope to 1.85, so that is now my default. I have built manual masking panels for 1.33, 1.85, 2.2 and 2.76 because I'm incredibly sad. wink.gif
post #2804 of 3418 Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Want to sell your lens?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #2805 of 3418 Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

pm'ed. Those lens have gone up. Mine came from a group buy a long time ago. I think the room is much more distracting than the black bars. I painted the whole place flat black, but I still get pretty good reflections on the side. I will have to get some black velvet panels to cover more up.
post #2806 of 3418 Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

pm'ed. Those lens have gone up. Mine came from a group buy a long time ago. I think the room is much more distracting than the black bars. I painted the whole place flat black, but I still get pretty good reflections on the side. I will have to get some black velvet panels to cover more up.

Do you happen to have a pic of your room anywhere...I am just at the painting stage and trying to figure how dark I need to go.

thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2807 of 3418 Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I totally recommend flat black everywhere. Painting that second coat was near impossible as I couldn't see anything smile.gif Had to carry a flashlight. Sure there are some pretty theaters out there, but the whole point is to see the movie and nothing else. A few fabric panels on the sides and a false front wall, so my speakers could be behind it and I would be perfectly happy.
post #2808 of 3418 Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

I totally recommend flat black everywhere. Painting that second coat was near impossible as I couldn't see anything smile.gif Had to carry a flashlight.

LMAO
post #2809 of 3418 Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Do you happen to have a pic of your room anywhere...I am just at the painting stage and trying to figure how dark I need to go.

thanks in advance!

I agree with the flat black unless you can put some fidelio velvet or a cheaper velvet. That will block out most of the light.

- Leon Phelps
post #2810 of 3418 Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:

thanks in advance!

I'm in the painting stages of my theater too, but I don't recommend flat black everywhere. This is the second theater I've designed and painted. Definitely use all flat paints. Is black the best color for watching a movie...yes. Is it the best color aesthetically...no. Remember, you are going to be showing off this room with the lights on. Black everywhere is not very interesting. I've color matched my paint to the carpet and chairs I'll be getting. I'm using three shades of mustard/brown and black. All are on the darker side, but the color is going to make this room really pop with the lights on.

Black ceilings!

Here is a picture of my last theater. I had three shades of purple with black accents. I'm going even darker this time. I like to have a little lighter area where my sconces are to aid it additional light reflection.

SimpleTheater likes this.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #2811 of 3418 Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't show my room off with the lights on, I show it off with the projector on. smile.gif
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #2812 of 3418 Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I don't show my room off with the lights on, I show it off with the projector on. smile.gif

touché

--Anon.

post #2813 of 3418 Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfilm View Post

Can someone use the 2d-3d function on material from a pc or similar (2d material) with folders up (just have a 1 or 2 folders up) and snap a picture in that mode?

I recently sent in mine for repairs, and the 2d 3d still looks twisted to the right (edges of folders curve to right) although they did fix some of the crosstalk in normal 3d so it looks less annoying with crosstalk mostly visible on pop out objects while quite sharp in the depth and normal view distance in 3d film. (They also seem to have replaced the bulb which had run 700h, since image in eco mode is brighter now, so that was nice too)

Just want to make sure that my unit works as intended so would appreciate this. (Also would be nice with some info in 3d in general if you can visibly see any crosstalk in for example avatar somewhere in the 3d movie. As I said for me it is visible when branches and stuff sticks out from screen, or corridors closest to the viewer)

Mine does the same thing, not sure why and if it's supposed to or if it's faulty. However it still looks OK through the glasses when watching a movie and real 3d is fine.

I can post a pic if you need.

Does anybody else here suffer this problem ?
post #2814 of 3418 Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:

thanks in advance!

Toofast,

Here is the progress I've made on my new theater.

--Anon.

post #2815 of 3418 Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a FAVI 120 inch screen and I love 2.35. I also NOT CARE if I have the dreaded "black bars" top and bottom with a full width picture.
If the "bars" annoy you (or your wife) so much, you can eliminate half of them with the postion control and send top or bottom to
oblivion into black velvet behind your screen.
The anamorphic add-on lens is a waste of money, forgedaboudit.
gil
post #2816 of 3418 Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it's cheaper to just get a 2.35:1 screen (pulldown/powered) and just put it in front of your other screen for when you need it. smile.gif
post #2817 of 3418 Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Arroyo View Post

I have a FAVI 120 inch screen and I love 2.35. I also NOT CARE if I have the dreaded "black bars" top and bottom with a full width picture.
If the "bars" annoy you (or your wife) so much, you can eliminate half of them with the postion control and send top or bottom to
oblivion into black velvet behind your screen.
The anamorphic add-on lens is a waste of money, forgedaboudit.
gil

I disagree. There are many benifits other than just the scope image. Your image will be brighter and sharper, you can go larger than what you can normally get out of your throw distance, and of course the black bars will be gone. If the lense was 10bux you would probably be all over it but since it is expensive i guess it is a waste of money. wink.gif

- Leon Phelps
post #2818 of 3418 Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit View Post

I think it's cheaper to just get a 2.35:1 screen (pulldown/powered) and just put it in front of your other screen for when you need it. smile.gif

Yes it is cheaper. Not the cleanest way though. You can also get a VP to do CIH. It is also expensive but you can find a used Lumagen.

- Leon Phelps
post #2819 of 3418 Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It looks as if I may be going with the Epson PL 5010 for my first projector. Could someone provide me with the EXACT width between the two front feet on the bottom of the PJ (outside of one foot to the outside of the other foot)? I am trying to determine if I am going to build my own shelf or if it will fit nicely on a 15.5D X 17.5W glass shelf like this one.

If someone could measure from the outside of each of the feet that would be great. I checked the manual and while they have a bunch of dimensions for overall width, length, height...they do not provide this critical measurement. The width of the PJ is listed as 18.3" but I may be able to get away with this shelf if the feet are at least an inch "in" on each side. I particularly like this shelf because it is glass and because the glass starts just 1" off the wall.

The Omnimount ECSB shelf glass starts 5" off the wall and goes out to 21". I'm afraid this will be out too far for my taste.

Thanks in advance for your help!

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

post #2820 of 3418 Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

My 5010 is mounted on a shelf too. It is 16 3/4" wide to the outside of the feet. It is about the same from the back wall to the front of the feet, but it could go back a bit if it had to. That shelf will work pefect but I would move it away from the wall an inch or two. *edit: Oh, I see the shelf now. You can probably use it as is. Dang that thing is really cool, and cheap. I like cool and cheap.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page