Low cost projector for xbox - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking to buy my son a led projector mostly for xbox and some tv (through a cable box) and movies through the xbox while he at college.

This is what I've come up with:

Optoma playtime 105- $200, 75 lumens, 800x600
AXXA m2- $325, 110 lumens, 1024 x 768
Acer K11- $350, 200 lumens, 800 x 600
LG HS201- $350, 200 lumens, 800 x 600

This will be used in a very small bedroom, and I expect he can't get the projector more than 4-5 feet from the wall (ceiling mounted).

Obviously if the playtime will work in a light controlled environment I'd rather do that.

Are there advantages to spending the extra money for the Acer or LG and would the added resolution of the AXXA be worth it, if the lower light output is sufficient.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

If there are any other options out there I'd like to know-- though the $350 is upper limit.

We were going to get him a 32" lcd tv, but these small projectors look like they have real advantages (a bigger throw size being one of them along with the portibility of the projector when he goes to friend's places).

As an aside I have a Hitachi pjtx100 in a dedicated theater room which we've enjoyed, though one of the blue panel seems to be going out. I'll be in the market to replace that also, but that's another thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
those resolutions wont be ok for a tech savy college kid.you may get 30ish inches from 5 feet (i have the pt100,50-60in@10ft and m2 ,60-70indiag@9feet)-no zoom on any of these.
230$ 32 lcd and 349$ 40s at wallyworld is probably best harder to steal also.

(fifth element)
Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

What about the new GP2? It's a bit higher than your list but its got slightly better specs. It's still only 200 lumens, 2400:1 contrast ratio, 1280x800 native resolution, up to 30,000 bulb hours, USB reader, iPhone dock, 2GB onboard storage memory, mini HDMI port, SD card reader. Mainly I'm recommending that you check this out as the 1280x800 native resolution does seem pretty promising. Not many projectors at this size are able to display that resolution and should be able to make the image much more crisp.
I don't believe that the GP2 is out in the market yet, but should be relatively soon. It was announced recently so should roll out for sale soon. Hope that helps expand your horizon a bit!

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 View Post

What about the new GP2? It's a bit higher than your list but its got slightly better specs. It's still only 200 lumens, 2400:1 contrast ratio, 1280x800 native resolution, up to 30,000 bulb hours, USB reader, iPhone dock, 2GB onboard storage memory, mini HDMI port, SD card reader. Mainly I'm recommending that you check this out as the 1280x800 native resolution does seem pretty promising. Not many projectors at this size are able to display that resolution and should be able to make the image much more crisp.
I don't believe that the GP2 is out in the market yet, but should be relatively soon. It was announced recently so should roll out for sale soon. Hope that helps expand your horizon a bit!

there are many(10ish) using the new chip (1140x912 native yea they signed a NDA with TI)and for the price of the gp2 you can get one of the four 500 lumen led pjs,or the 300 lumen qumi-but will still have the same throw problems.

(fifth element)
Old 12-06-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I've started the inevitable bracket creep-- looking at the $500 projectors, but that's a little outside my budget.

I think he can get 61/2' throw and checking projectorcentral, the Playtime is out, but the others can project close to a 50" picture. The LG has the shortest throw and would project a 66" image at that distance.

I guess my question is more about the resolution. He plays COD online, I believe, (when he's not studying, of course). Assuming a 50" image, will he notice a difference in detail between the SVGA and XGA resolutions (the K11 or HS200 and the M2)?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bse53 View Post

I've started the inevitable bracket creep-- looking at the $500 projectors, but that's a little outside my budget.

I think he can get 61/2' throw and checking projectorcentral, the Playtime is out, but the others can project close to a 50" picture. The LG has the shortest throw and would project a 66" image at that distance.

I guess my question is more about the resolution. He plays COD online, I believe, (when he's not studying, of course). Assuming a 50" image, will he notice a difference in detail between the SVGA and XGA resolutions (the K11 or HS200 and the M2)?

50"?!? That's all you want?

Unless he wants to port it around constantly, projectors have way too many downsides for a screen of this size. You can pick up a 50" plasma on the cheap for about $500 and get better res.

And there are always people on Craigslist looking to dump their older TV's and projectors on the cheap.

Just tell him you could get him more projector/TV for the same money if he complains. If it's for college he may give you a dirty look because it's not new, but in two, three years, it will probably be beat up/broken/stolen/replaced any way.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

The portability of these LED projectors is a plus.

Your point about the 50" 720p plasma is well taken though. But for less than $500 would a 50-60" projector in a darkened room be inferior?

Practically, would the XGA projector be noticeably inferior to that 50" 720p plasma?

Would the SVGA projector be noticeably inferior to that 50" plasma?

I've seen what the plasma looks like. I have never seen a SVGA or XGA projector playing a movie or Xbox.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
50" 720p plasma will be better than a 50" image from a low-light xga projector. A plasma can always be used with the lights on. Portability is the only advantage of a projector being used to make this small of image.

I only have about a 90" diagnonal screen. I thought about a 65" LCD instead - it would have solved many of the issues (light control) that I deal with, but I wanted to be able to take the screen down in the particular location that I use it.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

"50" 720p plasma will be better than a 50" image from a low-light xga projector."

Light isn't an issue here, though 200 lumens doesn't sound like much, but it would probably work-- especially by keeping the screen size smaller. The new 500 WXGA projectors would be ideal, but they're all in the $600 price range.

Right now he's playing xbox and watching tv on a 27" crt, so I guess even a SVGA at 50" would be an improvement, depending on how the projector handles the scaling, since he probably would set it at 16:9.

The other option would be to go with a business projector, or a 40" LCD, since $350 is the upper limit. I kind of like the long life of an led, but most of the new projectors claim to have vastly improved bulb life.

Thanks for your comments. It has helped me sort through the issues.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Get him one of these a become your sons best friend.
You might find one at local Sony stores or on ebay(at a steep mark up).

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ZT1:shpzlla:df

Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

I crunched some numbers and it looks like a 200 lumen projector, with an actual output of 170 lumens could throw a 66" 4:3 picture at 40 ft l, which is about the level for a picture with some ambient light, or a 60" at 50 ft l.

The only projector I've seen that will do that in the space he has is the hs200, but now we're back to a SVGA resolution. I'm sure for movies from his computer and tv from a sd cable box, that would be fine. I guess folks have been playing video games on projectors when 480p was the norm and folks were impressed with 720p.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Get him one of these a become your sons best friend.
You might find one at local Sony stores or on ebay(at a steep mark up).

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ZT1:shpzlla:df

Yeah, that looks cool!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I know to get Microsoft's stamp of approval all XBox 360 games have to
1) Put out 720 at least (Some games are 1080, but I heard this is RARE)
2) Use 2x Anti alaising

The later is unimportant. But I would at the very least get a projector capable of 1280x720, or the image will look blured and details hard to make out due to scaling issues on less.

Business class projectors are fine. However they typically give up contast for a bright image. (Busines projectors are designed to be cheap, while outputing a lot of light. This causes sacrifices in quality of image.)

I have no experience with portable projectors, but I would check the native contrast levels. Since you know this projector will be used in a darkended room only, it might work. But as a matter of personal preference I would get a plasma/LCD myself.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

google refurbished projector (1024x768 around 300$) a cheap 19inch lcd monitor 70$ and a cheap usb tuner will cover every thing

(fifth element)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

google refurbished projector (1024x768 around 300$) a cheap 19inch lcd monitor 70$ and a cheap usb tuner will cover every thing

Doesn't the OP want a 200 lumen projector with 60" diagonal display?

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 AM

svga will not be at all suitable for video games like COD I have an ACER k11 and it is A EXCELLENT projector with great colors and light output but the resolution for me is not good for COD after months of use your going to want higher res.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:17 AM

Does the projector have to be a LED?

I ask this because there are some pretty darn cheap DLP projectors with 720p resolution that are still pretty small and portable, Acer H5360 comes to mind, but many others that might fall very close to if not directly in your price range.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-20-2012, 01:30 AM

Actually, there's a post in these forums about the Viewsonic LED projector, $400, 500 Lumens, 720p. at Tigerdirect (model number PLED-W500)

Looks like you might want to look into this.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:21 AM

Led is a good thing to have when you are gaming on it because of how many hours your going to be using it. And wow that is a good price for the Viewsonic