AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   NEWB Question on Projector setup (Optoma HD33) (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1378233-newb-question-projector-setup-optoma-hd33.html)

Fayble 12-07-2011 08:47 AM

I must start out by saying that these are the most helpful forums I have come across regarding projectors. That being said I am still so unbelievably lost. I am brand spanking new to the projector world and I have some noob type questions about projector setup.

I am in the market for a decent 3d projector for movies and gaming. I have already chosen on the Optoma HD33 - so I don't need any other suggestions in that area.

What I need to know is what will I need to purchase to get up and running? This is a Christmas gift to myself (ha!) so I will want to be able to plug in and play straight out the box. Ideally I will want my whole family to sit down and watch a Christmas movie together.

Thus far I have bought:

1. Mediabridge Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - (6 Feet) - Category Certified - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel
(This is to hook up 3d Blu Ray Player) - is this cord correct? I know the HD33 takes 1.4a - is this the same?
I realized this projector does not come with speakers - what suggestions do you all have to set this up? Soundbar? I cant really go over $200.
I then stumbled upon receivers that I may need for setup IS this necessary? What benefits will this give me?
I am starting to get overwhelmed - even the most basic guidance will be very welcome. I feel as though I have stepped out of my depth on this one!

Fayble 12-07-2011 11:11 AM

Anyone?

Sonyad 12-07-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayble View Post

I must start out by saying that these are the most helpful forums I have come across regarding projectors. That being said I am still so unbelievably lost. I am brand spanking new to the projector world and I have some noob type questions about projector setup.

I am in the market for a decent 3d projector for movies and gaming. I have already chosen on the Optoma HD33 - so I don't need any other suggestions in that area.

What I need to know is what will I need to purchase to get up and running? This is a Christmas gift to myself (ha!) so I will want to be able to plug in and play straight out the box. Ideally I will want my whole family to sit down and watch a Christmas movie together.

Thus far I have bought:

1. Mediabridge Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - (6 Feet) - Category Certified - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel
(This is to hook up 3d Blu Ray Player) - is this cord correct? I know the HD33 takes 1.4a - is this the same?
I realized this projector does not come with speakers - what suggestions do you all have to set this up? Soundbar? I cant really go over $200.
I then stumbled upon receivers that I may need for setup IS this necessary? What benefits will this give me?
I am starting to get overwhelmed - even the most basic guidance will be very welcome. I feel as though I have stepped out of my depth on this one!

Honestly if you want the benefits of Blu ray, you'll need some speakers. That's were the receiver comes in, as your speakers are attached to your receiver. A receiver also allows you to connect your cable box, blu ray player, dvr, etc and then use a single output to your tv or projector. Unfortunately a good set of speakers, subwoofer and receiver will be over your budget and reading the forums on these items will probably make you depressed.

If $200 is your budget, try to find a 3d capable HTIB (home theatre in a box). I don't know if you can find one at that price, but you'll have an all around solution to your immediate problem.

Fayble 12-07-2011 01:28 PM

Thank you for your reply - I was thinking about going with:
Onkyo HT-S3400 5.1-Channel Home Theater System

which pretty much fits my price range. Would this system work with my setup?

DoyleS 12-07-2011 01:49 PM

That system should work fine. 110 watts per channel into 6 ohms is fine for a preconfigured system like that. It has 4 HDMI inputs that support 3D which is also good. One HDMI cable from the receiver to the projector and a cable from each of your sources to the receiver. Pretty straightforward hookup. You will need to decide how you are mounting your projector. Whether it hangs from the ceiling which would require a mount, or whether it sits on a table or shelf. Use the projector calculator to make sure you are set at the correct distance.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm