Acer K330 / Optoma ML500 / clones, Monoprice 4x1 HDMI + toslink switch, Xbox no image - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-25-2011, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried to search for similar issues, but I didn't see any threads that applied enough. Anyway, I'm just putting this out here in case anyone has resolved a similar issue and can save me reinventing a wheel.

Short: how do I fix this?

For this problem I've got:
Acer K330 projector
Monoprice HDX-401TA 4x1 HDMI switcher w/ toslink + digital coaxial output (rev 2)
Xbox 360
Monoprice 35ft 22AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable - Black

I am a pretty satisfied new K330 owner (as in no buyer's remorse), and while I could use my AV receiver to switch 2 HDMI inputs, I could use more inputs, *and* I figured I'd try to spare its usage if I didn't need it for audio. I picked up a tip from here about an HDMI/toslink switch that would also put HDMI audio onto toslink output so I could still use the receiver for 5.1 without fiddling with cables.

Problem is, the projector, switch, and Xbox 360 aren't talking, no video appears. What I do know:
1) projector-Xbox direct works, so projector does work with Xbox
2) TV-switch-Xbox works, so switch also works, and works with Xbox
...but even if I leave the Xbox on and unplug/replug the HDMI cable through switch+projector, no joy, although video works again if I put the HDMI cable back to projector direct or switch+TV.

Also, customer reviews on Monoprice say almost all good things about this switch and the Xbox 360, and even 1 or 2 adding projector, although nothing for the K330, Optoma ML500, and its other "500-lumen"-LED clones.

I'll be asking Monoprice for advice too, but again, if anybody here has insight, it'd be great to share in it.

Roughly, I've tried turning them on in this order:
1) projector, switch, xbox
2) switch, projector, xbox

I assume powering on the switch and setting it to the correct input before turning anything else on (at least input devices like the xbox) is a good policy.

I leave xbox last (or at least after the switch) because with my TV I've consistently gotten choppy/disappearing audio over HDMI unless I set the TV to the Xbox's HDMI input before turning on the Xbox.

By the way, does anyone know:
1) How to display current input on K330? It was there before (at least for source searching/switching, which is what I want), but somehow disappeared.
2) If/how to disable auto-source searching on the K330?
I skimmed the manual and went through the menus but didn't see any mention for either. These haven't been problems for me so far, but for this xbox + switch problem I think they'd be useful for troubleshooting.

I would appreciate any helpful replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-26-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

bump and update: k330 not seeing pc through switch either.

I've got a Windows 7 desktop with a sapphire hd 6850 that's able to output to the tv via the Monoprice HDMI switch, although I did have to unplug/replug power to the switch when I switched the output cables to get the tv to show.

So, that's Xbox 360 and Windows7 HDMI output working through the switch to the tv, but the Acer k330 projector is 0 for 2, even when I forced the Acer to look only at HDMI (says HDMI "No Signal" with no auto-source switching), and even when I unplugged/replugged power to the switch to reset it.

I'm drafting an email to Monoprice now just to see what they can tell me, but, again, if anyone here has experience with this, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM

Liked: 11
No dice on my ml500 and the 4:1 monoprice switcher either. I sent it back and got a replacement which still didn't work. The switcher is junk.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM

Hi
I am using a 4in/2out with toslink + digital coaxial output HDMI switcher.
I thought I had the same problem with you before, I have tried to change the HDMI cable and adjust the setting of AMD Catalyst software... but still not working.
Fortunately, I found that I need to wait for few more seconds until the switcher detects the signals from both my computer & K330, then it works.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page