Advice on Bedroom Theater using Mitsubishi HC4000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-27-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I am brand new to the forums and new to projector tech so I need your expert advice...which you probably see a lot lol. I have not purchased anything yet but am fairly set on the HC4000 as it seems like a fantastic projector for the price (around $1085). I'm also considering the BenQW6000 (found it for $1379) and Optoma HD33 as well if it can be found for under $1350. What would you choose out of these 3?

Here's what I've got so far:

My room is 13'L x 11'W x 8'H and is light controlled. I plan on placing the projector on a small table as I believe placing it on the ceiling would make the image go down too far. The largest screen I want to go with is a 92" although it might be slightly too big so thinking 84 as well...what is the general standard for screen size to viewing distance (max here would be 11.5is feet away)?

I used the Mits calculator and it shows a good distance to place the projector is between 110-165 from the screen; I plan on putting it at about 134. At this distance, though, this is where I will be sitting so I'm worried the noise from the projector will be too muchwhat do you think?

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I should go with a grey screen or matte white (1.1 gain) screen for my room. I believe the small size of the screen can allow for a darker material but don't know the general consensus. Take into account my walls are a light semi-gloss grayish-purple color so I'm thinking with a higher-gain screen more light would be reflected off my walls and ceiling. Given this, what do you think would be a good screen choice? My budget for a screen is under $350, however a lot of the screens retailing for more than that price can be found on sale I'm sure

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you can make the Mits work I would use that because the BenQ fan will be noticeably louder while the PJ is running. I recommend a 1.3 gain white screen you will get a beautiful picture and be able to run the PJ in low lamp mode where the fan is near silent while on.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

What screen brand would you suggest? Or better yet what models? I'm thinking pull-down primarily. Thanks
post #4 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM

If you can mount the projector lower then try the High Power screen:

http://www.thefinalclick.com/Da-Lite..._p_113851.html

If ceiling mounting then this:

http://www.thefinalclick.com/Da-Lite..._p_113850.html

If you have extra money to blow on the screen:

High power:

http://www.thefinalclick.com/Da-Lite..._p_114080.html

Video Spectra:

http://www.thefinalclick.com/Da-Lite..._p_114081.html

These guys have the best prices on good screens. High power is retro reflective and video spectra is angular reflective.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
@OP
If you think you are RBE sensitive, the Optoma hd33 has a faster color wheel, but the 2D PQ isn't as good as the Mitsubishi hc4000 or Benq w1200. The Optoma has 3D though. If you are unsure, get the Mits hc4000.

OBSSSD has owned both I think, so if he says the fan on the Benq is a little loud, he is probably right.

BTW, out of these three the Mits hc4000 is better built (even though it looks cheap), it has the fewest problems reported of any mass-produced projector in the past year of every single thread in this forum. Only the first early production run had a few forum users with an issue or two, but those are pretty much non-existent now.

Screen
The NEW 2.4 gain high power works ok if ceiling mounting because it has a much wider spread for gain, but I wouldn't use it in a ceiling mount position if you have a light colored ceiling, because it will reflect too much light back to the ceiling. Even if you ceiling mounted, you'd still get 1.0 to 1.2 gain most likely, and it makes a nice cheap texture-free screen. However, the same issue goes with floor mounting, if you use an HP screen, make sure to get a dark rug, because HP screens direct a higher percentage of the PJ's light back to the PJ lens which means the floor or ceiling.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #6 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 AM

You never mentioned if you own the house or rent. Since you are NOT installing anything on the ceiling or wall I will assume you are renting.

All the advice given so far is good advice, unfortunately you have to decide what best fits your needs.

I installed mine on the ceiling, tied into the electrical in the ceiling devised a shelf like stand for the projector and it suits me just fine.

I painted the flat surface wall using a mix of paints and bordered it with Base board stock. The paint code I do not have, however I did use a Matte for the screen and oak not glossy for the border. Looks just like a screen.

As a retired Fiber optics Engineer I know the difference between Light Reflection and Light Refraction. You would know what I mean if you saw this in my living room.

Same theory as the projector in high school, looks good on the screen, then someone would hit the projector and it would move to the wall. Different base different picture !

If I extended my legs from the sitting position from the couch and you looked straight up from my toes, that's where the projector is located. I made the projector shelf 6" bigger on three sides, the front being only 3/4" extended from the lens, this makes it so the sound from the fan & light from the unit Reflected ! A bit over-Kill but, works for me ! That's the Key !

I held the projector in my hand, ran a movie from my laptop, after painting of course, held the projector at different lengths, heights and angles until I was satisfied with the Ceiling mount ! The wall would have been bad for my Tall family. The ceiling is painted with Flat paint to cut down on Reflection ! Semi-gloss or glossy ceiling would kill the mood. The border I made kills the light from the screen going anywhere.

I kinda wish I was there helping you, 4 eyes are better than 2. You could make a box, with air holes of course, that will cut down on the noise and light from the projector. I'm about 7 1/2 feet sitting from the projector and I don't hear/see anything.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM

The HC4000 has the best 2D picture of all of these followed closely by the W1200. But the W1200 has more light output and a noisier fan to go with it. So for bigger screens the W1200 and for all others HC4000 if you can make these work with the offset of course. The Benq is noticeably sharper too believe it or not, but the Mits still looks really sharp as well. HD33 is if you want 3D otherwise both the other two are better 2D projectors.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Oh shoot wish I would have seen these posts yesterday! Thanks for all the advice everyone, I broke down last night and bought all my stuff off Amazon. I decided to go with the HC4000, an Elite Sable 92" screen, and Peerless PRG mount. I think I did pretty good.

I got the mount just in case I could make it work on the ceiling, which is much more preferable. I decided not to get a drop screen because of all the issues I've been reading about with creasing and bending, since none of them are tensioned, and I can't afford a tensioned screen. So, I'll keep you all posted when I get everything set up next week!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 AM

Hi
Im about to update my pld dlp projector to the mits hc4000 How did it go for you??
Look forward to hear how you went
This is a picture of my old cinema,but now have a very small room,so everything has been reduced in size.
Cheers
Walter400
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page