Longevity of Optoma Projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have experience with an Optoma projector (the cheaper ones HD70, HD66) that have lasted without repair through two or more bulbs ?

I started with an HD70 and loved the picture quality. After about a year and a half the bulb went out, so I bought another and stuck it in - except the projector's red, green and amber LEDs blink when plugged in and it won't turn on - oops. Checked with Optoma and it seemed that it was going to be about 300+ to fix (warranty up after a year).

So, I looked around and figured I would get a new projector and the HD66 was there and 3D and only a bit over 600 so I bought one. I thought the picture quality was worse than the HD70 but OK and quite a bit brighter. The HD66 lasted about 7 months before I get a fan failure message which upon restart went away and I continued to use but then dead pixels started showing up. I did an RMA for a warranty repair which is where the unit is now.

I almost bought the Epson when the HD70 went bad because I have an Epson for my business presentations and it is nice, but my ceiling mount would have had to been changed.

Anyway, I'll get the HD66 back but when the bulb on that goes I will be wondering what to do. Either

1) Buy a new bulb for the HD66 and hope something else doesn't fail
2) Get the HD70 fixed (as it has a new bulb but something else is wrong)
3) Give up on Optoma and get something else

I'd get a 1080P projector but my Yamaha receiver can't handle the signal and 720P looks OK to me (although I don't know what I'm missing I guess).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've had an HD70 for three or four years now, I can't remember which, and I've gone through three bulbs. The first was almost 3000 hours, the second actually lasted over 4000 hours (I reset the timer) and the third also neared 3000 hours before going. I have used the PJ as a TV for all of this time. I actually bought a fourth bulb but I am now getting another lamp failure warning after less than a month with the new bulb. It could be the bulb as I had some issues with shipping, but I've decided to upgrade to a 1080p projector in the next couple of weeks.

The projector has been mostly trouble free for the time that I've owned it. I did have to disassemble it to clean the color wheel and I've had to unplug it a few times when it failed to turn on, but those are relatively minor issues (for me) considering how long I've used the projector vs. how much I paid.

I'm considering an Epson 8350 because the 3010 and 5010 have too much input lag, but I don't know if I want to go to LCD from DLP. If I can get solid numbers on the input lag for the LG CF181D I might go that route instead. Otherwise I'll pick the best 1080p DLP I can afford with low input lag stats.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #3 of 19 Old 12-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Max View Post

I've had an HD70 for three or four years now, I can't remember which, and I've gone through three bulbs. The first was almost 3000 hours, the second actually lasted over 4000 hours (I reset the timer) and the third also neared 3000 hours before going. I have used the PJ as a TV for all of this time. I actually bought a fourth bulb but I am now getting another lamp failure warning after less than a month with the new bulb. It could be the bulb as I had some issues with shipping, but I've decided to upgrade to a 1080p projector in the next couple of weeks.

The projector has been mostly trouble free for the time that I've owned it. I did have to disassemble it to clean the color wheel and I've had to unplug it a few times when it failed to turn on, but those are relatively minor issues (for me) considering how long I've used the projector vs. how much I paid.

I'm considering an Epson 8350 because the 3010 and 5010 have too much input lag, but I don't know if I want to go to LCD from DLP. If I can get solid numbers on the input lag for the LG CF181D I might go that route instead. Otherwise I'll pick the best 1080p DLP I can afford with low input lag stats.

Pretty much the same here except I only went through two bulbs.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 AM

My HD70 has held up for about 5 years now on 1 bulb. Hasn't been an all day primary screen during that time obviously, but has gotten significant use.

Did have to disassemble to clean the color wheel when I started having some weird green shifting going on, but after that it was back to performing as usual.

Looks like I'm about to have to replace the bulb though, I'm noticing a flicker in the image.

Anyone that's replaced the HD70 bulbs have a recommendation of a safe place to buy bulbs from?
post #5 of 19 Old 12-29-2011, 03:40 PM

Liked: 14
I've been real happy with my Acer H5360. Its been 13 months and about 800 hours with no issues yet. Still real bright, and fans are quiet on low and high mode. Picture is excellent in 2D and 3D once you find the right settings. The best part is it can be had for $500 or less.

I view a 100" screen size from 11' away and can't see any pixel structure or screen door effect, so I wouldn't benefit from 1080p unless I got a larger screen (no desire for bigger screen, this size seems perfect to me).

The real kicker is the 3D is outstanding! Like a hologram in some of the better movies and PC games.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juncti View Post

My HD70 has held up for about 5 years now on 1 bulb. Hasn't been an all day primary screen during that time obviously, but has gotten significant use.

Did have to disassemble to clean the color wheel when I started having some weird green shifting going on, but after that it was back to performing as usual.

Looks like I'm about to have to replace the bulb though, I'm noticing a flicker in the image.

Anyone that's replaced the HD70 bulbs have a recommendation of a safe place to buy bulbs from?

Wow, 5 years - but it is about the on-time hours I guess. My HD70 didn't get as much use as my HD66 was getting because I didn't have my PS3 yet ! I think that's why my warranty on the HD70 ran out before the projector died.

I bought my bulb through Amazon but then again, the projector has never turned on with the new bulb. I'm thinking that the process of the old bulb going bad might have damaged the lamp driver or something in the power supply. Have you been getting the "Bulb is approaching end of useful life" messages ?

You see a lot of stories about people needing to clean the color wheel in these projectors. Maybe there should be some dust filter on the projector. I think the Epson 8350 talks about having a dust filter. I would have bought that one rather than the HD66 except for my older Yamaha receiver not handling the 1080P.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 PM

No, no messages about the bulb. My only indicator is the flicker. I had an Infocus originally, and it started the flicker just before the bulb popped. Scared me when it went lol, wasn't expecting that.

I suspect the hour timer on my projector doesn't work. The first few months I had it I noticed the count was much lower than real world use. At the time it was my primary TV, so I would easily have it on for 5-6 hours at a time. I'd watch the counter on a few occasions and it might only register part of the time actually used.

I'll check it tonight and see what it says.

Just afraid to get a bulb from somewhere and have the bulb only last a short while because it was some bargain bulb and not an official bulb or something.

Might look into some low price 3D projectors and see how they stack up compared to a new bulb.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juncti View Post

Might look into some low price 3D projectors and see how they stack up compared to a new bulb.

That's pretty much what I did in replacing my HD70 with the HD66. Only I had bought the new bulb for the HD70 only to find out that the projector was broken. And, it turned out the HD66 didn't look as good (to me) as the HD70 did.

Probably if it were now I might consider replacing the whole projector set-up with a large LED flat screen. There is a 65" LG that is <2000. I imagine that would be better for a system that is on a lot. It's also probably a better size for my viewing distance than the 96" that I'm projecting to now (although it does fill your vision like sitting in the front row of a movie theater).
post #9 of 19 Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 AM

I have an Optoma H76, that is over 6 years old now, but only has about 2400 hours on it. The projectors itself has been a brick, totally reliable. I have had one odd issue happen twice. It lost the DDC data and my computer failed to see it on the DVI port. It still worked fine on a Dish network box, but would not work on a BLu Ray player. I had to ship it back to Optoma, and for just the cost of shipping it, they did reload the rom withthe DDC data and it worked fine. After it happened a second time, they only charged me like $40 and the dud a full internal cleaning and updated the firmware and it now reports it is an H77, but I don't think I got any of the contrast improvement.

Main reason I am writing... I am in need of a lamp. I am about to order a factory Optoma at about $375 which is pretty steep considering I can pick up a brighter 1080P projector for under $1000 now, but the picture on the H76 is wonderful, pixel count is certainly not the only spec when it comes to picture quality, this 720P looks so good, and it displays my PC at 120 FPS in full 720P resolution. I did buy a pair of copy cat lamp assemblies a while back at just $185 each, but they both failed in very short order. The supplier took them back and gave a full refund. Has anyone else tried a gneric lamp and had good luck?? The first bulb had a dual failure, the lead on the end of the bulb away from the reflector just burned off, and it went out, but when it was cooling down, the UV filter shattered. The second lamp ran a full day, but when I turned it on the second time the light was crap, and when I pulled it out, the UV filter on that one was shattered. My original Optoma lamp module UV filter is much thicker, and it is also fairly discolored and looks very stressed. I do not want to just put a bulb into the module because of this issue. Does anyone sell replacement UV filters??

In any case, I am very happy with my Optoma, and will be racking up the hours much faster once I have a new bulb in it. It had an easy first 3 years because I did not have much HD content, but now with my upgraded Dih Net and Blu ray, it is on several hours a day, and at over 2400 hours on the original lamp, it is making me nervouse, especially since the lamp hours have been reset, the projector thinks it only has about 300 hours now.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM

I bought an Optoma DLP EzPro 732h a few weeks ago and the bulb burnt out after 112 hours :| I am very disappointed, I feel like reselling the projector now.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Purchased HD70 new in April 07. After 2500 hours, replaced bulb in March 09. About 2200 hours on that 2nd bulb right now. Zero issues. This bulb is starting to dim, but is still acceptable at night. Its only gets used 3-4 days per week, but when it gets turned on, it stays on for 8+ hours. No on/off several times a day ever.

Any issues in your house? Dust? Cats? Smoke? If I had issues like you and wanted to stay with projectors, Id consider some sort of air purifier in the room the projector lives in.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD MC View Post

Any issues in your house? Dust? Cats? Smoke? If I had issues like you and wanted to stay with projectors, Id consider some sort of air purifier in the room the projector lives in.

Probably all of the above. I had thought of building a box with a filter around the projector since that would also help with the noise. the projector is right above the sitting area and it is a low ceiling basement so noise is an issue. I think my ultimate solution is to go with a 60"+ flatscreen since these are pretty cheap these days and I don't need outrageous sizes.

I haven't been so impressed with the Optoma RMA process. They weren't completely slow in setting up the RMA but they didn't meet any of the deadlines stated on their website (eg. 24 hour response, 2 day to get RMA etc). Now, I've been trying to just confirm that they received the projector, since the online status does not say and no answer for 4 days. I haven't tried calling yet though.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hope it all works out. A projector should not be the only display in the house for all the reasons discussed in this thread. They are delicate, fragile, and tempermental, just like women.

Which is why I keep more than one of those around too. When one acts up and you dont feel like dealing with it, you got something else to fall back on.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
That's why I own a Viewsonic Pro8200 DLP as well as a JVC RS-45, well that's just one reason, it acts as a backup projector, but it also keeps me from putting too many unnecessary hours on the JVC such as happens with gaming, TV, and other activities. Save the expensive projectors for movies.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #15 of 19 Old 01-06-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Hope it all works out. A projector should not be the only display in the house for all the reasons discussed in this thread. They are delicate, fragile, and tempermental, just like women.

Which is why I keep more than one of those around too. When one acts up and you dont feel like dealing with it, you got something else to fall back on.

That's great if you can afford a TV and a projector, but for the 99% we can only afford one.

I'm not willing to go down in size from a 86" screen, so I'm going to get a new projector even with the risks that it will burn its polarizer or optical block in four years like my PT-AX200 did. At least I can get an extended warranty on an Epson 8350.

Having said that, I'll keep the old projector as backup unless I can sell it for parts on eBay for a reasonable amount.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-06-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I had failure with an HD65 within 100 hours of use. Sent it in for repair, sold it when it returned. I will never buy another Optoma again..that's just me though. All my other projectors have been great, those being Benq, JVC and Infocus. One of my friends has had good luck with Epson. The higher end Optoma's are probably better as they are designed with larger chassis to help keep the unit cooler. These small entry level optoma projectors just don't seem large enough to have any real longevity. The heat of the lamp has to be wrecking havoc on the electronics inside.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Our HD80 is still going strong (installed in August, 2007). Been through at least 4 lamps but that is because we like bright and pull them at about 2000 hours. It is our main "TV" and it has been trouble free. The one exception is that the color wheel died a year ago but it was replaced under the extended warranty we had and all is fine. When we first got the PJ we had some issues but Optoma customer service took care of it quickly and with no hassles. Yes, we would certainly buy another Opotoma projector.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-06-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Now you tell me ! I think I also have some female sub amps too! Tempermental. Anyway the projector is supposed to be on its way back repaired, so that wasn't too bad. It would have sucked if it was out of warranty like my HD70 though. I do have an LG 47" that is my other room display.

Quote:

Yes, I may get the HD70 fixed now to have as the main (since it has a never-used bulb in it now) and make the HD66 the backup. I actually had a backup that I am using out of desperation. Don't know the model, but it is an Epson business projector. It only has S-Video (in addition to VGA) so I'm reviewing all my old DVDs on my old player since it only has S-Video too. Be glad to be back to digital though.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsiskey View Post

That's pretty much what I did in replacing my HD70 with the HD66.

you may have different issues with the HD66 other than the bulb. This is what my picture currently looks like:

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page