Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_63 View Post

Don't turn on the projector unless you're going to use it for at least 2 hours and then don't turn it back on for at least 2 hours after it was shut off.

In my house someone is home all day so the way it works out is that once the projector is turned on it stays on until it's shut off that evening. If it's not going to be used for a little while then we just blank the screen. The projector rarely gets more than 1 on off cycle per day.

Thanks, Greg. What's the reasoning behind this rule? By blanking the screen, do you mean the bulb is turned off? I'm probably missing something, but doesn't having the projector on most of the day and night burn up the bulb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmarz View Post

Thanks, Greg. What's the reasoning behind this rule?

The common thinking is that power cycles reduce the life of the lamp more than simply being lit.

Quote:

By blanking the screen, do you mean the bulb is turned off?

No the projector and lamp remain on, but there's no signal, resulting in a "blank" screen.

Quote:

I'm probably missing something, but doesn't having the projector on most of the day and night burn up the bulb?

Yes, but the assumption is that turning it on and off repeatedly will burn it up quicker.
post #33 of 33 Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyman View Post

Greg_63 and everyone else, thanks for all information and insight. I've decided to repaint my HT.

Okay, so after a lot of reading and contemplating I've come down to two projectors:

The Espon 8350 and the Sony HW20.

So, from looking at my room build, my projector needs, which one of these projectors do it best. Or, are these both qualified and I've just got to go eeny meeny miny mo?

I know nothing about the HW20 except for the specs that are listed on projector central and they look very good. I assume that you're not in the US. If you can afford the HW20 then get that one. Based on the specs it should have a much better picture then the 8350.

Although there is fun in the hunt, the best part is getting it and using it !!!!

Between these 2 projectors, unless money is an issue, I'd pick the HW20 in a heartbeat! Me personally, I'll always buy an Epson because they have the best warranty and service in the business, but that's me. They've earned my loyalty but that doesn't change the fact that HW20 specs are better then the 8350 plus it has a 3 year warranty vs a 2 year warranty. Because I'm locked into Epson I'd opt for the 8700ub. The order of picture quality should be the 8350, HW20 and then the 8700ub.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page