Outrageous Panasonic projector repair cost, help with options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jouko342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I got a quote back from Panasonic to fix my PT-AX200 after it developed the notorious overall yellow tint, and blueish cast in the edges.

They ask a cool 979.79 EUR (1,257.17 USD) to fix a four-year-old projector. Paying 100 EUR more I could buy it as new!

Here's what they ask:
optical block and pol plate damaged. unit requires o/b and blue pol plate
Labour & Logistics 120 EUR
TEEC0046 PJSE-TEEC0046 POLARIZING PLATE IN/B 1 60.65 EUR
TXFEC99VKD3B PJSE-TXFEC99VKD3B-OPTICALBLOCK B 1 799.32 EUR

To add insult to injury, the bulb is brand new, and they ask 50 EUR extra to ship it back to me.

So here are my options as I see them:
  • Screw the optical block, as it's the most expensive part. I assume I could get them to only change the polarizer, so with labor that would be 180 EUR.
  • Spend the € on a new 720p beamer
  • Spend the €€€ on a new 1080p beamer

Any tips? Is forgoing the optical block switch advisable - ie. should I expect it to die in the coming months?

In any case, this is the last Panasonic projector I'm ever going to buy.
jouko342 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouko342 View Post

So I got a quote back from Panasonic to fix my PT-AX200 after it developed the notorious overall yellow tint, and blueish cast in the edges.

They ask a cool 979.79 EUR (1,257.17 USD) to fix a four-year-old projector. Paying 100 EUR more I could buy it as new!

Here's what they ask:
optical block and pol plate damaged. unit requires o/b and blue pol plate
Labour & Logistics 120 EUR
TEEC0046 PJSE-TEEC0046 POLARIZING PLATE IN/B 1 60.65 EUR
TXFEC99VKD3B PJSE-TXFEC99VKD3B-OPTICALBLOCK B 1 799.32 EUR

To add insult to injury, the bulb is brand new, and they ask 50 EUR extra to ship it back to me.

So here are my options as I see them:
  • Screw the optical block, as it's the most expensive part. I assume I could get them to only change the polarizer, so with labor that would be 180 EUR.
  • Spend the on a new 720p beamer
  • Spend the on a new 1080p beamer

Any tips? Is forgoing the optical block switch advisable - ie. should I expect it to die in the coming months?

In any case, this is the last Panasonic projector I'm ever going to buy.

You could try another shop, but I suspect the costs will be similar.

If it was me, I would just buy a new "beamer". What size screen do you have? Do you watch any 1080p source material (like Blu-Ray)?
ack_bk is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jouko342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

If it was me, I would just buy a new "beamer". What size screen do you have? Do you watch any 1080p source material (like Blu-Ray)?

86" screen. I have close to a hundred BDs, and use it for gaming on PC and PS3 as well, so yes, 1080p is very appealing. Except for the cost

I don't want to spend 2k EUR/USD on a 1080p beamer just to have it die on me in four years (I clocked 5000 hours in four years on the PT-AX200). Spending half that on a cheap 1080p beamer might make more sense. Any longevity data on different makes and models available?

I'm not thinking straight, I'm off to the gym to vent my aggression
jouko342 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouko342 View Post

86" screen. I have close to a hundred BDs, and use it for gaming on PC and PS3 as well, so yes, 1080p is very appealing. Except for the cost

I don't want to spend 2k EUR/USD on a 1080p beamer just to have it die on me in four years (I clocked 5000 hours in four years on the PT-AX200). Spending half that on a cheap 1080p beamer might make more sense. Any longevity data on different makes and models available?

I'm not thinking straight, I'm off to the gym to vent my aggression

Understand your frustration. Electonics are just not made like they used to be (although my Apple computers never seem to want to die).

I am not in Europe, but some affordable 1080p projectors that should meet your needs are the Optoma 20, BenQ W1100 or 1200, or Epson 8530. Those are the US designated model numbers, not sure what the European model numbers are. In the US the Optoma can usually be found for under $900 US and may be a great fit for you.
ack_bk is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Start researching your options. People have successfully replaced their own optical blocks. I wouldn't do it myself though.

I am banking you can find a better PQ producing projector for well under $1K
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jouko342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Understand your frustration. Electonics are just not made like they used to be (although my Apple computers never seem to want to die).

Indeed - and even warranties are shorter now. How do they expect people to spend money on their products in this economy?

We have pretty much the same projectors as in the US, I'll start looking for options. Thanks for the list on where to start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Start researching your options. People have successfully replaced their own optical blocks. I wouldn't do it myself though.

I am banking you can find a better PQ producing projector for well under $1K

I didn't put the "change the optical block myself" since it alone costs more than a cheap 720p projector, with a good chance that I **** it up for good and am down even more money.

I'm banking on finding a better projector for the same price as the repairs as well.
jouko342 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
ferbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouko342 View Post

So I got a quote back from Panasonic to fix my PT-AX200 after it developed the notorious overall yellow tint, and blueish cast in the edges.
...

Hi Jouko
A yellow tint could be a sign of a burnt blue polarizer. If you're kinda handy with electronics and dare to open your PJ, you can check it for yourself:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2926
A polarizer cost no more than 100 dollars.
I recommend you buy the Service Manual (no the user manual) to learn how to dismantle your PJ and the parts number. You can search the Web:
http://www.manualsparadise.com/ShowP...odel=M93359876
Or better search in this forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1184338
The blueish cast could be just dust on the LCDs / polarizers. Good luck.
ferbal is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jouko342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

Hi Jouko
A yellow tint could be a sign of a burnt blue polarizer. If you're kinda handy with electronics and dare to open your PJ, you can check it for yourself:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2926
A polarizer cost no more than 100 dollars.
I recommend you buy the Service Manual (no the user manual) to learn how to dismantle your PJ and the parts number. You can search the Web:
http://www.manualsparadise.com/ShowP...odel=M93359876
Or better search in this forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1184338
The blueish cast could be just dust on the LCDs / polarizers. Good luck.

I concluded that it's the polarizer based on posts here, which was confirmed by the service center, referenced in my OP While I could change the polarizer myself, the optical block is also damaged or dying, and that's the expensive part.
jouko342 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
OP, if you are in the UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD20-...5801608&sr=8-1

799 euros. 1080p. Good for gaming.

If you want the next step up, it is 1080p, 3D, etc:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD300...5801705&sr=1-1
ack_bk is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jouko342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

OP, if you are in the UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD20-...5801608&sr=8-1

799 euros. 1080p. Good for gaming.

If you want the next step up, it is 1080p, 3D, etc:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD300...5801705&sr=1-1

Netherlands, but we have the same models. I had my eye on the HD33 earlier, but HD300X seems to have identical specs, except slightly lower contrast ratio at 8000:1 (10000:1 in HD33), and 24 month warranty (36) - not sure if there's any other difference? The price differenctial between the two is quite significant, 400 EUR, almost 40% higher (1050 EUR vs 1450 EUR).
jouko342 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouko342 View Post

Netherlands, but we have the same models. I had my eye on the HD33 earlier, but HD300X seems to have identical specs, except slightly lower contrast ratio at 8000:1 (10000:1 in HD33), and 24 month warranty (36) - not sure if there's any other difference? The price differenctial between the two is quite significant, 400 EUR, almost 40% higher (1050 EUR vs 1450 EUR).

I would bet the native contrast between the two projectors is the same or close. This is just me, but I would probably pony up a little more money and get 3D. I was skeptical at first with 3D, but am really enjoying it.
ack_bk is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jouko342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I would bet the native contrast between the two projectors is the same or close. This is just me, but I would probably pony up a little more money and get 3D. I was skeptical at first with 3D, but am really enjoying it.

I don't have stereo vision so 3D is pointless for me. Sounds like HD300X is the best option, unless someone has a better suggestion, DLP or LCD - although I'm wary of getting another LCD projector due to the experience I had with the Panny.

edit: hmm, HD20 seems to have almost identical specs for 2D. Is there any difference in IQ or ability to calibrate it properly? A post in the HD33 thread says it has significantly better IQ.
jouko342 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Member
 
kthejoker20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
See if they will credit you for trade in. Then buy a new PJ.

Get with the Jones'.
kthejoker20 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you like that projector, why not just buy a used one like this one on ebay for around $500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-PT...item35b86592ca
ricwhite is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jouko342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

If you like that projector, why not just buy a used one like this one on ebay for around $500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-PT...item35b86592ca

I don't want to spend more money on a product that failed on me at an unacceptably low usage. Besides, there are new good 1080p projectors for significantly less money than the repairs.
jouko342 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouko342 View Post

I don't want to spend more money on a product that failed on me at an unacceptably low usage. Besides, there are new good 1080p projectors for significantly less money than the repairs.

Fair enough. There are a lot of really good used 1080p projectors on the market for cheap and some really good new ones for reasonable prices as well. It's amazing, however, how much these projectors depreciate. I have a really nice Espon 1080UB projector. It produces an awesome image. I paid $3499 for it, but it now goes on the used market for around $750. You might get more bang for your buck buying a really good quality used projector versus a brand new one. People are upgrading all the time and sell off their used projectors that are only a couple years old.

Good luck in your search.
ricwhite is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 01-06-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jouko342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Called Panny and they didn't really have anything worthwhile to say, and weren't willing to give any compensation or discount towards a new Panny (any model), despite me telling I'm going to the competitor otherwise. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, kthejoker20, was worth the try. Their loss.

So, after getting all excited about Mitsubishi HC4000 and Optoma HD20/HD33, I realized they don't fit my apartment due to lack of lens shift. Now I'm set on Epson 8350. Although it's LCD, Pixmania (a large European online box shifter) offers an extended 5-year warranty, which is very good trade for my peace of mind.
jouko342 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off