VIVITEK QUMI Q5 LED 1280x800 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 239 Old 11-06-2012, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These forums have been a lot of help to me recently, so I just wanted to share my opinion of the Q5.
I received it yesterday, but I spent whole day playing with it smile.gif

First of all it is a true marvel considering the performance and what's been packed in the size of it.
Brightness is great, colors are vivid and image is sharp.

minor flaws: (that does not impact viewing pleasure and I can get used to it over time)
- warm up focus thing
- remote button layout not intuitive (makes you look at the remote every time you press button)

major flaws: (breaks the viewing pleasure)
- distinct judder (not sure how to call it) during fast scenes or camera movements especially noticeable in soft gradients like faces and on blurry objects.
I think the issue is called Dynamic False Contouring from the thread HERE and looks like the image HERE
I will try different input sources to see if the problem is still present. I will also take a picture of it.
Anyone else experiencing something like it?

- the fan noise it makes in "Normal LED" mode, ECO mode is fine but the image is too dim. It is annoying when projector is 1 - 1.5 meters away. If I will keep the projector I will make a fan mod for it (add a silent one in front of air intake) smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 239 Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16

133 diagonal presentation mode htpc scope

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #183 of 239 Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsh View Post

major flaws: (breaks the viewing pleasure)
- distinct judder (not sure how to call it) during fast scenes or camera movements especially noticeable in soft gradients like faces and on blurry objects.

I read another review that said something similar to this, the breakup was during fast videogaminig. there is probably no way to fix this or turn it off? even with a external video processor , this issue would still be present?
post #184 of 239 Old 11-10-2012, 12:24 AM

Liked: 11
So will the Q5 work with the Optoma 3DXL converter to play 3D Blu-Rays ? Or is no converter needed ?
post #185 of 239 Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

On the false contouring my unit had it to some degree over the
first 20 hours now I cannot see it have just over 60.
martinsh likes this.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #186 of 239 Old 11-11-2012, 03:58 PM

greg1292, that is good news to me, thanks! This means I am not going to return or sell it smile.gif.
Personally I am quite sensitive to flickering and juddering like this, but I can confirm that it is less noticeable after 3rd day of intensive use.
The only issue that remains is the fan noise. It would be actually fine if it was consistent for the whole time, but the most annoying thing is the sudden changes in the loudness. It draws the attention when watching the movies. I might buy a silent 80 or 50mm fan for it to add an extra airflow at the intake. Hopefully then it will stay near silent for the whole time.

Otherwise it is a truly awesome projector, I love how people react when they see the size of it, while producing a bright and beautiful image.
post #187 of 239 Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to here that you are going to keep the Q5. This is a projector that may be
small but is no toy. I too laugh at the size of the projector sitting behind mu UH480
lens:eek: The projector just seems to grow on me the more I watch it the better it
seems to get.

I think one thing that is not talked about is the noise free image the Qumi reproduces
and the lack of pixel structure. It seems to me the Qumi is like a fine wine wine! The
more it ages the better it gets. I had fun taking the screen shots it truly is better in
person.

post #188 of 239 Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:

The only issue that remains is the fan noise. It would be actually fine if it was consistent for the whole time, but the most annoying thing is the sudden changes in the loudness. It draws the attention when watching the movies. .
Does this noise issue occur with other users? Better still, anyone with both Q5 and Q2 can run them both to have another verdict.
post #189 of 239 Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaid View Post

Does this noise issue occur with other users? Better still, anyone with both Q5 and Q2 can run them both to have another verdict.

Well it is not much an issue when I am watching a movie with headphones or speakers at higher volume, but most of the time I watch together with someone during evenings or nighttime and I turn down volume a bit so I do not bother my neighbors.

but the fan noise is a known issue, review of Q2 mentions it as a con:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/vivitek-qumi-q2_Projector_review

or some quotes from other users in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

The Q5 make less noise than the Q2, but it's still not a quiet projector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Brain Hurts View Post

Negatives that I have noticed are that it's quite noisy - and in 'Bright' picture mode the fan is really noisy (note this is not Eco vs Normal mode) it also has a low power mode, no idea what this does though as seems to make no difference.

a quote from olrik in cineston forums here:
Quote:
Anyway. I had the opportunity to trial a Qumi Q5 during one week, and cannot remember of any focus problem. But the fan noise was really a major problem. Probably heat is a big issue in such a small device. Fans are not too loud when starting the beamer, but after a few minutes, when the device needs to be cooled, fans get a speed burst and the noise really geTS LOUUD DURing a few minutes and then it staRTS AGAIn ! My wife used to call it "the hair dryer" (like : "Ooh, I didn't know you wanted a hair dryer", then "Are you going to return the hair dryer ?", and finally "Why is the bloody hair dryer still in my living room ?".
post #190 of 239 Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Noise has not been an issue on mine since I flipped it upside down on my shelf. Runs in low
fan mode all the time. I run high power mode all the time. Makes sense since heat rises. So
in short the vents are facing upwards.

post #191 of 239 Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 AM

I would not trust this review since it says: Contributing further to our enjoyment of PC and Blu-ray - and TV, actually - viewing alike is the excellent sharpness of the Qumi’s pictures.

I think it's an accepted statement that most of the Q2 cannot achieve uniform sharpness. Mine indeed does not achieve it.

The reviewer comparing Q2 and Q5 says that Q5 is quieter, and this is encouraging to me, because my Q2 is what I call silent even in quiet film moments.
Just crossed my mind, do people saying it's loud have it placed on shelves or confined spaces? The post above says it's quieter upside down on shelf, therefore better ventilation. Mine sits on a tripod about 1m away from me therefore plenty ventilation and in full brightness mode.
I am also 46 and hearing although good, not as receptive as a teenager.
post #192 of 239 Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

I think one thing that is not talked about is the noise free image the Qumi reproduces
and the lack of pixel structure.

I was blindly looking at all the LED DLP PJ's thinking they all had a "Lack of pixel structure" because of the diamond grid they use.
So this is not the case for all of them? I was looking at the LG PA70G but are you saying the Qumi-Q5 would have a more film like Pixeless picture than the LG PA70G ? Anyone been able to view both of these ? Also would the difference in brightness be huge ? I would like to do some 3D Blu-Ray viewing.
post #193 of 239 Old 11-14-2012, 06:50 AM

I have it on a small tripod so there is plenty of room for air. Placing it upside down seems to be helping a little though.

After a more in-depth look at the fast motion jitter thing - the color jittering, false contouring and image noise at some gradations of gray is a known weakness of DLP technology as described HERE
so at least I don`t have a faulty product I thought I had.
post #194 of 239 Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think the pixel structure would be the same as far as 3d cannot help as I don't care about 3d. I see no pixels from 12ft 133 scope screen I do not watch 16X9 so cannot help with
that.

Just hit 290 hours on the projector and image seems to be rock steady and black levels have
improved alot over time as well as focus. I can say without a doubt I will never own
a lamp based projector ever again.

If anyone in the northern Indiana area wants to do a shootout or see the Qumi in action
let me know. Although the Qumi may be small the picture is mighty! LOL:)

post #195 of 239 Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have it on a small tripod so there is plenty of room for air. Placing it upside down seems to be helping a little though.
After a more in-depth look at the fast motion jitter thing - the color jittering, false contouring and image noise at some gradations of gray is a known weakness of DLP technology as described HERE
so at least I don`t have a faulty product I thought I had.

I have looked and can see none of this but I am old and maybe blind 20/15 vision. I notice
this when I crank up the settings but not at normal viewing modes. My screen is about 1.8
gain so I do not need to crank up the contrast or gamma that does produce a nasty image.
The Qumi cannot be over driven without side effects.

post #196 of 239 Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 AM

thanks greg!
well it will take a while to reach 290 hours smile.gif, but you`re right - most of the people does not notice it , I think I am just very sensitive to flicker-y things.
I am still very happy about Q5, it does not cease to surprise me. Yesterday I watched movie through USB flash drive, I had subtitles file in same directory as movie file and to my surprise I had movie with subtitles!
awesome!

btw. anyone have tried connecting qumi to their PC with nVidia GPU for stereoscopic 3D viewing or at least 120Hz refresh rate?
post #197 of 239 Old 11-18-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm wanting this for a business projector, Power Point and such. It sounds as if it may be very good for that.
post #198 of 239 Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 AM

I have the Q2 and I tried the Nvidia 3D via the VGA and it worked good. It was easy to setup and worked as expected.
But since I didnt have a blu ray drive on my pc, I decided to purchase the Viewsonic VP3D1 (on sale on amazon for 199) so I can watch 3D blu rays over hdmi.

I also tried it on the Q5 as my friend recently bought one recently, so I tested it and it works without any issues.

Please follow the steps below to configure the Qumi with the VP3D1.

1) Connect your 3D device (PS3 etc) to one of the HDMI inputs of the VP3D1
2) Connect the HDMI out to the HDMI in on the Qumi.
3) Turn on your 3D device
4) Turn on the VP3D1
5) Turn on the Qumi
6) If your using the PS3, go to Settings and select Display Settings
7) Choose HDMI and do an auto-detect
8) The system will now show a message that it has detected a system that can display 3D
9) Select your screen size and click ok
10) The final screen will show all available resolutions checked off. 480p, 720p, 1081i, 1080p, 720p (3D), 1080i (3D) & 1080p (3D)
11) Click ok and save your settings
12) Insert a 3D blu ray into the PS3
13) Play the disc
14) Once the movie is loaded (main menu of the movie), on the Qumi remote click Menu
15) Go to the Installation 2 Menu and select Advance
16) Select the 3D option in the Menu
17) In the following screen select DLP-Link.
18) Exit the Menu, put on your 3D glasses & Enjoy 

Please note: When I played my blu ray 3D movies on my PS3, I had all resolutions checked off. 720p, 1080p etc so the screen will flicker when changing resolutions. So it may take awhile for you to get to the main menu of your movie to change the settings on the Qumi. Be patient as its definitely worth it.
post #199 of 239 Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Thanks Sherazta,
I connected it to my PC through HDMI cable, changed the PCs resolution to 1280x720@120Hz but projector shows that "signal is out of range", any ideas?
1024x768 works fine at 120Hz.
post #200 of 239 Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 AM

When I had my setup via the pc, whenever I changed my resolution to 1280 x 720 over HDMI it would give that message. If I did that with my vga the image was very pixellated.

I would recommend looking at Amazon for the VP3D1 when its on sale. Usually 199. It has three hdmi inputs, so you can hook up your pc, ps3 (blu ray player) and tv and have 3D over all three.
post #201 of 239 Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Would the Nvidia solution work for 1280X720 120hz 3D?

post #202 of 239 Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Well I used the Nvidia 3D vision kit and found it to be a waste of money as the viewsonice vp3d1 does the same thing but provides me with more HDMI inputs for the qumi
post #203 of 239 Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds good what glasses are you using?

post #204 of 239 Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM

I had an Nvidia pair that came with the Nvidia 3D vision kit.
I just picked up 4 Sony Active shutter glasses from Future shop for 19.99 each.
Going to try them out tonight
post #205 of 239 Old 11-28-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Let me know how the sony's work!

post #206 of 239 Old 12-02-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Got bored so bought some Valspar Signature colors Metal & Patina glaze Silver 99734 from lowes and mixed into a 1/3 can of Silverfire 2.0
and am very happy with the results with the Qumi Q5 on movie mode with 640 hours on the projector using Lav and MadVr.
133 diagonal with UH480.

post #207 of 239 Old 12-05-2012, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone in this forum were able to compare between Qumi Q5 vs LG PB60g?
I love to try the Qumi Q5, but the fan noise issues bothered me.I'ved heared several good reviews on PB60g.
post #208 of 239 Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:

- the fan noise it makes in "Normal LED" mode, ECO mode is fine but the image is too dim. It is annoying when projector is 1 - 1.5 meters away. If I will keep the projector I will make a fan mod for it (add a silent one in front of air intake) smile.gif

hi martinsh
did you succeed to make the fan mod? if yes, please post your experience with photos.

re: q5 vs q2 (I own both at this moment)

pros:
- image of Q5 is MUCH MORE crisp,
- brightness of Q5 in Normal mode is sufficient for most situations: home cinema for budget, business presentations,

cons:
- the biggest disadvantage of Q5 to me is fan noise. in eco mode the noise of Q5 is CONSIDERABLY (OR MUCH) lowder then normal mode of Q2
- the image jitters while playing camera pans with Q5, there was nothing similar with Q2 (could it be solved with firmware updates in future?).

The noise difference and jittering are so much distracting that I would rather put optical system of Q5 to Q2 if that might be possible.

Did anybody disassembe both Q5 and Q2? Any chance to change optical parts?

Another suggestion to decrease fan noise was to add some resistor into Q5's fan circuit, although that should not be safe for the whole system needing adequate cooling. Any thoughts?
post #209 of 239 Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 AM

post #210 of 239 Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambeam View Post

hi martinsh
did you succeed to make the fan mod? if yes, please post your experience with photos.
re: q5 vs q2 (I own both at this moment)
pros:
- image of Q5 is MUCH MORE crisp,
- brightness of Q5 in Normal mode is sufficient for most situations: home cinema for budget, business presentations,
cons:
- the biggest disadvantage of Q5 to me is fan noise. in eco mode the noise of Q5 is CONSIDERABLY (OR MUCH) lowder then normal mode of Q2
- the image jitters while playing camera pans with Q5, there was nothing similar with Q2 (could it be solved with firmware updates in future?).

How is Q5 noise in full brightness compared with Q2. Also did you wait for the fan in Eco mode to go louder for a few seconds then it goes quiet . My Q2 does that.
When Q5 noise in Eco>Q2 noise in normal, were they in slightly different positions. one enclosed and one in open air?

Can you expand on jitters please. What camera?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek , Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page