VIVITEK QUMI Q5 LED 1280x800 - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 264 Old 09-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is there a simple guide to get stereoscopic 3d through PS3 and a Macbook Pro with NVidia available anywhere ?

I've got the dlp link glasses but I can't get the 3d working
Rick Red is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 264 Old 09-30-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Red View Post
Is there a simple guide to get stereoscopic 3d through PS3 and a Macbook Pro with NVidia available anywhere ?

I've got the dlp link glasses but I can't get the 3d working
Yea there are two steps to get a ps3 to output 3d.

Step 1: insert 3d bluray
Step 2: click play
Verge2 is offline  
post #243 of 264 Old 11-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Black Frames

Can anyone help me and explain who I have to black frames around my image?

Do you know how I can get rid of them?

Setup
Projector: Qumi Q5
Source: Apple TV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-21.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	368329  
neptuneblue is offline  
post #244 of 264 Old 11-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down Qumi Q5 melted plastic lens

Hi!

Has anyone who owns a Qumi Q5 had any problems with the outer lens melting? Am i the only one? It happened after cleaning it with distilled water while the projector was on. At first, it looked like the lens was loosing its coating in an oval shape and was in its upper portion. I then i tried to remove the rest of the coating using alcohol, i realized that the lens was being etched or melting on the inside where the light was going through it. It just does not make sens that this would happen with regular normal use. Since it was a factory refurbished unit the warranty was only for 90 days and is now expired. Vivitek wants over $200 to replace the lens (that i have already taken out). It really does not make sense to throw away such perfectly good little projector because of that plastic lens, and buying a new one or sending it in for repairs is not in the budget. I started a new thread but there was no response.

Anyone knows who their lens supplier is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Qumi_q5_red_topfront_l.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	373514  
groovevampire is offline  
post #245 of 264 Old 11-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Linux powering the Q5

Hi All,
Having read that the Q5 has 4GB of storage I was amazed that I couldn't simply copy files from a USB drive to the built-in storage. I contacted Vivitek and they told me I needed a male to male USB cable (quite a rare thing, but available on Ebay). So I bought one and, sure enough, when I plugged one end into my projector, the other end into my Mac, went to the menu and found the USB storage option... it magically appeared as a (very slow) disk on my Mac. All good!

However, the more interesting thing (to me) was that there were already two files present:
  • localdata.tar.gz
  • usr.tar.gz

These contain a treasure trove of interesting detail about the Q5:
  • the drivers for the wireless rt3070
  • the Host Access Point configuration
  • scripts to control the HDMI and LCD
  • DLNA and UPNP configuration
  • The user interface configuration
  • Linux USB Gadget Framework
  • gstreamer and X windows

I'd love to know how to get a login prompt and update the Q5 with arbitrary commands and wifi drivers

Just for curiosity's sake I extracted the gdb binary to find out what linux architecture is being used:

gdb: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1, dynamically linkedyb

If anyone has a firmware upgrade file I suspect there's a chance it could be reverse engineered to work out how to replace arbitrary commands.

The other thing I wondered about was, since they expose the device as a "Mass Storage Gadget" using the Linux USB Gadget Framework, do they expose the device via the USB cable as a "Serial Gadget" ?

Maybe getting a login prompt is as simple as using the USB cable and treating it as a usb-serial serial port.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting. I suspect the number of Q5 owners that happen to be Linux kernel hackers may be quite low but I just thought I'd let others know about the Q5's localdata.tar.gz and usr.tar.gz.

Cheers,

Doug
dscoular is offline  
post #246 of 264 Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Computers not recognizing Q5 via USB

I've been trying to link my laptop via USB to the Q5 to dump a video to the Q5 USB storage space but both my PC and Mac laptops do not recognize the unit. I've been through the manual and cannot find any resolution. Anybody else run into this issue?
Frothingbadger is offline  
post #247 of 264 Old 12-13-2014, 11:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscoular View Post
Hi All,
Having read that the Q5 has 4GB of storage I was amazed that I couldn't simply copy files from a USB drive to the built-in storage. I contacted Vivitek and they told me I needed a male to male USB cable (quite a rare thing, but available on Ebay). So I bought one and, sure enough, when I plugged one end into my projector, the other end into my Mac, went to the menu and found the USB storage option... it magically appeared as a (very slow) disk on my Mac. All good!

However, the more interesting thing (to me) was that there were already two files present:
  • localdata.tar.gz
  • usr.tar.gz

These contain a treasure trove of interesting detail about the Q5:
  • the drivers for the wireless rt3070
  • the Host Access Point configuration
  • scripts to control the HDMI and LCD
  • DLNA and UPNP configuration
  • The user interface configuration
  • Linux USB Gadget Framework
  • gstreamer and X windows

I'd love to know how to get a login prompt and update the Q5 with arbitrary commands and wifi drivers

Just for curiosity's sake I extracted the gdb binary to find out what linux architecture is being used:

gdb: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1, dynamically linkedyb

If anyone has a firmware upgrade file I suspect there's a chance it could be reverse engineered to work out how to replace arbitrary commands.

The other thing I wondered about was, since they expose the device as a "Mass Storage Gadget" using the Linux USB Gadget Framework, do they expose the device via the USB cable as a "Serial Gadget" ?

Maybe getting a login prompt is as simple as using the USB cable and treating it as a usb-serial serial port.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting. I suspect the number of Q5 owners that happen to be Linux kernel hackers may be quite low but I just thought I'd let others know about the Q5's localdata.tar.gz and usr.tar.gz.

Cheers,

Doug
I've had no luck getting my computers to recognize my Q5 via USB. Matter of fact I exchanged my first unit and have run into the same problem with a second unit. Did you do anything unique to get your mac to work? At my wits (all two of them) end on this one.
Frothingbadger is offline  
post #248 of 264 Old 01-27-2015, 03:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Frothingbadger,
The critical thing, I found, was that you had to connect your male to male usb cable and then use the projector's menu system to turn on the USB Storage option.

I always find that option tricky to find. My source is usually fixed to HDMI... so you have to select your input as USB and that will take you to the "home" page that has the green "QUMI" written in the centre with the browser, photo, movie, music icons... and the settings icon. Click on the settings icon and choose "USB Options" then select "Data Storage Mode". That will place your projector into PC Transfer mode and it will show up as an incredibly slow hard disk on your Mac or PC called "USRDATA".

It showed up straight away on my macbook pro.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Doug
dscoular is offline  
post #249 of 264 Old 08-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Member
 
sapphire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, CAN
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sure there's somewhere lies the answer but I was not able to find it after a 3 days search.

I got the qumi q5 recently and wanted to try out the 3d function. Mainly I want to try watching a SBS 3D movie and trying out a game with TriDef. I got the DLP glasses.

I got two video cards, 6600GT NVIDIA and AMD Radeon HD 4850

Would someone able to shard some light on my path?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

sapphire
sapphire is offline  
post #250 of 264 Old 11-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
<p>Just an update, I made use of the warranty &amp; recieved a new q5 a few weeks later after some follow up calls to the re tailer who chased Viviteks service centre on my behalf. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I did lots of reading &amp; discovered i t was an error with the lcd module. The module is not made to be  replacable although, it can obviously be rep laced however taking it apart seems laborious. Either it is cheaper to re place the entire unit rather than replacing the module or it's easier to dispatch new models for unit s under warranty as standard practise. In any case, this will no doubt be a common problem, so I'd like to know if other q5 owners have  had this problem around the 3-4000 hr usage mark?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If so then it's likely a component iss ue with the lcd module which reduces the life expectancy of the Q5's to just 10% of the  advertised claim of 30k hrs.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This said I won't be changing my unit u ntil manufacturers comes up with a 1k lumen , glass lense, 1080 full hd unit with bett er connectivity at an affordable price ie: 500-700. Having a dongle for wifi is just stup id &amp; unnecessary nowadays, as the cost  &amp; power consumption of a low power 802.11b/G/N WiFi Module which is the size of a finger print is negligibl e in manufacturing terms.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>All this said, I'm very happy with the  Q5 performance &amp; quality for my needs.  It's not the best but with continued falling prices, it's well wor th a look at the £/$ 300 range.</p>
Good evening
I have had this problem around 4800 hr .
Unfortunatly my Qumi is out of warranty.
I have sent my Qumi Q5 to assistence center in Germany..I'm waiting for response.
I can't believe that from Vivitek have declared wrong life time of lamps in the technical specifications of Qumi Q5.
Depending from the response from Viviteks service centre that I'm Waiting i could earning different arguments for my work.
I'm working like trainer in quality Assurance in Italy
Cavanna is offline  
post #251 of 264 Old 11-02-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneblue View Post
Can anyone help me and explain who I have to black frames around my image?

Do you know how I can get rid of them?

Setup
Projector: Qumi Q5
Source: Apple TV

Necro post but holy keystone! Need a ga,,wry of what not to do.
Verge2 is offline  
post #252 of 264 Old 11-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Member
 
sapphire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, CAN
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone has luck setting up the 3d?
sapphire is offline  
post #253 of 264 Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
Hi all,

I've had a qumi q5 since sept 12' working flawlessly until earlier today. I use it connected to my laptop via hdmi and also use a ps3 connected with hdmi. Today all of a sudden the white colours being projected appear pink. This totally ruins the viewing..................
. I've used it in normal power for around 3-4000 hrs.

I've looked at alot of online resources but can't find a solution, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
I'm looking For People that have had qumi Q5 For more than 5000 hrs. I believe nonody
Cavanna is offline  
post #254 of 264 Old 12-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
kwok lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new jersey, usa
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hi Dscoular,
I just got a USB male to male cable and would try if I can upload a movie from my laptop to the Q5's 4G internal storage.
Could you advise me the experience of using the internal 4G space to store movie, slide show or documents in your Q5 and how good and convenience to play the stored movie eventually.
You can email me reply at my email - kwokchulau@yahoo.com or on this webpage. Thank you very much.
Kwok Lau.
kwok lau is offline  
post #255 of 264 Old 12-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
kwok lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new jersey, usa
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothingbadger View Post
I've been trying to link my laptop via USB to the Q5 to dump a video to the Q5 USB storage space but both my PC and Mac laptops do not recognize the unit. I've been through the manual and cannot find any resolution. Anybody else run into this issue?
-----------------
I had tried last night and ran into similar problem. I just emailed Vivitek Techical Support and awaiting their answer. Quote:

I would use the 4G internal storage of my Q5 portable projector, but do find the procedure how to upload to the projector and project it onto screen. Please advise the procedure.




Here was what I did last night:-




1/. I connected a USB cable ( Male at both ends), between the Q5 and my laptop last night




2/. The Q5 showed up on wall an alert confirmed that "Q5 was connected to PC at USB, do not power off to avoid file corruption..... with a drawing of a power cord".




3/. My laptop (Window) shows USB connection of Drive F with Q5




4/. After I clicked on the Drive F, several file folders showed up on laptop screen, but the Q5 projected image on wall did not change. Its Alert stayed the same.




5/. I clicked each folder. Only one file folder shows applications inside the 4G storage. Other folders are empty.




Since the projected image from Q5 did not same as what I saw on my laptop, I dare not to go further.




Appreciate you can advise me the properly procedure, step by step, so I can use the 4G storage to keep movie/presentation/document etc and project the same by Q5 directly without connection of USB sticker or other appliance (e.g. dvd player, sandisk etc).




I also suggest Vivitek to include the procedure of how to use the internal 4G storage of 5Q or its new models in its manual.




Awaiting your advice. Thank you very much.

End-quoted.
kwok lau is offline  
post #256 of 264 Old 12-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
kwok lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new jersey, usa
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Any one here can give a feed back how to use the 4G internal storage of Q5?
kwok lau is offline  
post #257 of 264 Old 12-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
kwok lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new jersey, usa
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Had uploaded a video folder to the Q5 last night, by "drag and drop" through my laptop, using USB A male to A male cable. However, cannot retrieve the video and project the video directly from Q5.
Had emailed Vivitek customer service support and Technical group support, but no answer from them yet.
Is there any one can tell me how? Thank you.

Last edited by kwok lau; 12-25-2015 at 06:45 PM.
kwok lau is offline  
post #258 of 264 Old 01-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
kwok lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new jersey, usa
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Following steps were advised by Vivitek Technical Group (Mr. J. Davis). I will try it today. At the mean time, would share with you guys if you are interested. Hope it works for you too.




Uploading video / photo file to Q5 internal 4G storage:-



1/. The type of USB cable that you will need is a USB Type A to USB Type A.

2/.The way to transfer the files to the projector is to put them in folder and drag the file using the file transfer.

3/. On your computer you should see USRDATA appear as a drive as you look at computer settings.




Retrieval of uploaded video / photo for projecting by Q5 directly :-




1. Power up the projector.

2. Go to the Blue menu screen which will be visible if you select the USB input.

3. Use the arrow keys on the remote or the Qumi Q5 to select the Film icon.

4. When the film icon is selected you should see the folder with films to select.

5. Film files need to be in one of the following formats: (MPEG-4, H.264, Divx™, WMV).

6. You should be able to select the clips from your folder
kwok lau is offline  
post #259 of 264 Old 01-13-2016, 04:25 AM
Newbie
 
siya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanna View Post
Good evening
I have had this problem around 4800 hr .
Unfortunatly my Qumi is out of warranty.
I have sent my Qumi Q5 to assistence center in Germany..I'm waiting for response.
I can't believe that from Vivitek have declared wrong life time of lamps in the technical specifications of Qumi Q5.
Depending from the response from Viviteks service centre that I'm Waiting i could earning different arguments for my work.
I'm working like trainer in quality Assurance in Italy
OK I have another follow up. Here in the UK I have had this problem now with 2 of these units, exactly the same issue and the problenm is the Optics module. In the UK the repair company is called equinox.co.uk, they make you pay a depossit of nearly £50 and a return price of £12 just to tell you that the unit repair cost is £600 which is more expensive than the retail cost of a new unit.

On the user manual it specifically states that "Please note that the LED modules are not replaceable" whilst the product boasts a 20,000 hrs light expectancy however in almost all cases I've ever seen myself or read online the Optics module fails at 4000-5000hrs, less than a quarter of the stated claim.

This is built in obsolescence and now I am taking my claim against equinox first, for it's nefarious costs and poor service and depending on the result, taking up my claim with the ombudsman for consumer rights as Vivitek have clearly misled people on the life expectency of these Qumi Q5's and they don't live upto the claimed expectancy.

If you have a similar problem, please contact me and we can make an effort to shed some light to consumers and try and have the manufacturer provide a response because this is totally unacceptable.

Thanks
Cavanna likes this.
siya is offline  
post #260 of 264 Old 01-13-2016, 04:28 AM
Newbie
 
siya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanna View Post
I'm looking For People that have had qumi Q5 For more than 5000 hrs. I believe nonody
Optics module fails at 4000-5000hrs, less than a quarter of the stated claim.

This is built in obsolescence and Vivitek have clearly misled people on the life expectency of these Qumi Q5's and they don't live upto the claimed expectancy.

If you have a similar problem, please contact me and we can make an effort to shed some light to consumers and try and have the manufacturer provide a response because this is totally unacceptable.
siya is offline  
post #261 of 264 Old 01-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
kwok lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new jersey, usa
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Besides the issue mentioned above, The Vivitek's customer service suck in responding to customer's problem. I brought up the problem of no able to retrieve uploaded video file to Q5's internal 4G storage over a month. Various emails sent before their Technical group's manger returned a reply. The advice did not work out. I emailed reminders to the manager several times since last week. No reply till now.
Very frustrated with their customer service.
kwok lau is offline  
post #262 of 264 Old 06-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good evening

The history of my Qumi

I have had Optics module fails around 4800 hr .
Unfortunatly my Qumi was out of warranty.
I have sent my Qumi Q5 to assistence center in Germany
The Qumi was been repaired gratis in October last year
After my Qumi has worked well but last month,
around 5200 hr I have sent again my Qumi Q5
to assistence center for Optics module failureI'm going to think that at Vivitek have to start to recall All qumi and change this declaration
Lamp Life and Type 30,000 Hours LED
Cavanna is offline  
post #263 of 264 Old 06-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanna View Post
Good evening

The history of my Qumi

I have had Optics module fails around 4800 hr .
Unfortunatly my Qumi was out of warranty.
I have sent my Qumi Q5 to assistence center in Germany
The Qumi was been repaired gratis in October last year
After my Qumi has worked well but last month,
around 5200 hr I have sent again my Qumi Q5
to assistence center for Optics module failureI'm going to think that at Vivitek have to start to recall All qumi and change this declaration
Lamp Life and Type 30,000 Hours LED
Continuation of the story of the repair of my Qumi.
After only 3 months of the first repair again sent to a service center, this time in Italy, where only for disassembly and diagnosis seems to ask 175 euro.
Cavanna is offline  
post #264 of 264 Old 06-26-2016, 03:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanna View Post
Continuation of the story of the repair of my Qumi.
After only 3 months of the first repair again sent to a service center, this time in Italy, where only for disassembly and diagnosis seems to ask 175 euro. (Less in Germany only 80 Euro)
Finally after only 5800 hours "My Qumi" is arrived at the End of life.
Or Maybe to custumer service center of Vivitk are so kind to replace My Qumi with a new one?

Last edited by Cavanna; 06-26-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Cavanna is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek , Projectors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off