Son Appears to be Sensitive to DLPs Used in School--Need Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 7 year old son started at a new school this year. At the beginning of the school year he complained of headaches that went away after a month so we didn't really investigate (he tells us now they never went away but just became a little less painful/frequent). After winter break he started complaining again and this time he said it was the Smartboard (essentially a projector/whiteboard combination) in some classes that gave them to him (these boards are being used more now). He also described what sounds like to me to be the rainbow effect. He also said that it was only certain projectors/Smartboards in some classes that cause this so I went to the school and to the projector, the ones that gave him headaches were DLP and the ones that didn't were LCD. The Smartboards were all using a UF55W projector which is identified as a short throw DLP but there isn't a whole lot of information out there (I assume it is made for use in Smartboards). I am still running a CRT projector (Barco 1209s) at home which causes him no issues either.

We have had his eyes tested for near/farsightness and he is fine but we are going to go to an ophthalmologist for a more in-depth test. We are also going to speak to the school once we know there is not some other underlying condition.

What I am looking for is does any one have any advice on ways to minimize DLP sensitivity? I have seen reducing the brightness and sitting further back as two suggestions, are there any others? If it matters the lights are on when the projectors are being used so I don't think brightness is an issue here.

Also please I don't want this thread to deteriorate into an DLP vs. whatever other technology thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The only thing I could come up with is try to do some exercises with him to teach him how to relax his eyes while watching the board (not sure if it will help). Try not to focus too tightly on moving objects, and take frequent breaks and rests from watching it.

A lot of eye strain can be partly the viewer's habits such as how intensely they tend to focus or how much they move their eyes around, but some of it is neurological and built into a person's biology.

The doctor is going to most likely have a lot better suggestions than any of us...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Precisely the reason that I will never ever purchase a single chip DLP projector.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-14-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If it went away maybe he is just used to your CRT? My wife is sensitive to single chips, but she hates CRT as well.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd be interested to know what kind of material is being presented on the "smartboards" i.e. when I was a child we had filmstrips and the occasional motion picture film but the use of these was few & far between. RBE should only (I would think) be a problem with moving pictures, so what moving pictures are used in the modern 7 year-olds' classes?

I can't imagine a way to selectively filter RBE for an individual (I am susceptible as well--I get nauseous not headaches) but would be inclined to request that the color be "turned-off" in those classes so as not to make my child sick! Or (shudder) change schools--if he's sick he's not gonna learn effectively!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

If it went away maybe he is just used to your CRT? My wife is sensitive to single chips, but she hates CRT as well.

CRT doesn't appear to bother him though honestly he spends less time in front of that than the Smartboard. He might use it 2 hours a week on average (usually a movie or some such on the weekend).
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I'd be interested to know what kind of material is being presented on the "smartboards" i.e. when I was a child we had filmstrips and the occasional motion picture film but the use of these was few & far between. RBE should only (I would think) be a problem with moving pictures, so what moving pictures are used in the modern 7 year-olds' classes?

I can't imagine a way to selectively filter RBE for an individual (I am susceptible as well--I get nauseous not headaches) but would be inclined to request that the color be "turned-off" in those classes so as not to make my child sick! Or (shudder) change schools--if he's sick he's not gonna learn effectively!

They appear to use it as a combination film projector replacement and chalkboard replacement. A lot of the lessons are given on the Smartboard from the teacher's computer. My son has told me that he looks elsewhere as much as possible but towards the front of the class so teacher doesn't know he is not looking the screen. So I think a lot of the images are relatively static so there may be something else at play here. He says he frequently gets a headache within 5 mins of looking at the projector (I don't know if his sense of time is that good). I did read an abstract of a scientific study on the IEEE site where there is apparently a eye condition whereby a person has constant rapid eye movement and this can cause an issue with DLPs for folks with that condition. The prevalence in the population of this is 1 in 600-1500 so odds are probably that he does not have this but I am going to have the Dr. check for that.

He has complained to the teacher, saying the projector is giving him a headache but she tells him he is dehydrated and just needs water. We are going to speak to the school administration (this is a private school) so we may have some luck there but they have made they darn things a cornerstone of their lower school however at least at the moment they are only in the classrooms up to 4th grade (son is halfway through second now).
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The only thing I could come up with is try to do some exercises with him to teach him how to relax his eyes while watching the board (not sure if it will help). Try not to focus too tightly on moving objects, and take frequent breaks and rests from watching it.

A lot of eye strain can be partly the viewer's habits such as how intensely they tend to focus or how much they move their eyes around, but some of it is neurological and built into a person's biology.

The doctor is going to most likely have a lot better suggestions than any of us...

Thanks I am hoping the doctor will have some ideas. He did appear to get more resistant last semester (i.e., lots of complaints the first month) and none after that. It is perhaps the winter break combined with greater use since he got back that has made this flare up again.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page