Help, I read too much AVS Forum (Panasonic, Epson) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been enjoying a Panasonic AX200U for a few years now in my basement theater. After a few months of extensive remodeling we want to put a projector with an electric screen in our newly renovated living room/family room.

My intention from the beginning was to put a Panasonic 4000 in and have a 120" 16:9 screen drop in front of the television. Primarily movie watching but occasional sports and maybe a little tv now and then. I favor Panasonic because my 200 has been absolutely trouble free and a friend has been running a 4000 for two years now with zero problems.

Time to buy has arrived and I ran the calculator only to find out the 4000 will struggle with brightness for me. Throw distance will be 15' give or take a couple inches and the screen is slated to be 120" 16:9. Light control is no problem as viewing will be at night with blinds down and all lights off. If a table lamp is turned on during sports viewing we understand we'll sacrifice image quality but it won't be an issue.

I looked into the Panny 7000 to get more light but read about several issues with flickering. looked at the Epson's in spite of the fact I like Panny and would prefer a black projector (silly I know but we think it would look better in a living room) and I read about focus, convergence, and dust blobs.

Figured I'd jump all the way to JVC and looked at the RS45 only to see issues with those too.

Surprising as it may be my wife is ragging on me to get something in here and get it working but I'm stumped. I told her there are a lot of good projectors on the market but most seem to be a roll of the dice as far as getting a trouble free one is concerned.

Any help and comfort would be greatly appreciated. I'm still thinking the Panny 4000 with maybe a 1.4 gain screen but I don't want to wind up with an unusable screen in a few years if the projector gets upgraded.

I should mention that we have no real interest in 3D. In addition to a lack of interest my wife wears glasses and gets headaches watching 3D so if we would up stepping into a 3D projector the viewing would really be limited to 2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

I've been enjoying a Panasonic AX200U for a few years now in my basement theater. After a few months of extensive remodeling we want to put a projector with an electric screen in our newly renovated living room/family room.

My intention from the beginning was to put a Panasonic 4000 in and have a 120" 16:9 screen drop in front of the television. Primarily movie watching but occasional sports and maybe a little tv now and then. I favor Panasonic because my 200 has been absolutely trouble free and a friend has been running a 4000 for two years now with zero problems.

Time to buy has arrived and I ran the calculator only to find out the 4000 will struggle with brightness for me. Throw distance will be 15' give or take a couple inches and the screen is slated to be 120" 16:9. Light control is no problem as viewing will be at night with blinds down and all lights off. If a table lamp is turned on during sports viewing we understand we'll sacrifice image quality but it won't be an issue.

I looked into the Panny 7000 to get more light but read about several issues with flickering. looked at the Epson's in spite of the fact I like Panny and would prefer a black projector (silly I know but we think it would look better in a living room) and I read about focus, convergence, and dust blobs.

Figured I'd jump all the way to JVC and looked at the RS45 only to see issues with those too.

Surprising as it may be my wife is ragging on me to get something in here and get it working but I'm stumped. I told her there are a lot of good projectors on the market but most seem to be a roll of the dice as far as getting a trouble free one is concerned.

Any help and comfort would be greatly appreciated. I'm still thinking the Panny 4000 with maybe a 1.4 gain screen but I don't want to wind up with an unusable screen in a few years if the projector gets upgraded.

I should mention that we have no real interest in 3D. In addition to a lack of interest my wife wears glasses and gets headaches watching 3D so if we would up stepping into a 3D projector the viewing would really be limited to 2D

every projector has issues
pick your poison and live with it

i would go with the RS45 or the Epson 5010(awesome customer service)
also look at the Sony HW30 probably best all around PJ
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
None of them are perfect and that is why there is no clear answer.

I agree with Domingos on both counts. My choice for amazing 2D only would be an RS45. I will be ordering an Epson 5010 since I want 3D. I would not worry about a few bad PJs with Epson since their customer service and return policies are pretty much the best.

Sony HW30 is also a good one to look at, but it may be more expensive...call AVS for pricing on that one.

All of the PJs have can have bad samples, but what does the manufacturer do about it when you call them up?

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #4 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
You like Panasonic LCD, don't want 3D then get an Epson 8700ub. It has fewer features but a bit better quality than the 4000. That 120" diagonal? 15' will be pretty close on the throw range, so you should get about maximum light output - it should be bright enough in your dark room.

I went from an earlier Panasonic than yours to an Epson 8350. Nice upgrade for me, but I have some light issues, so the 8700 would be wasted in my room.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Liked: 10
Agreed, get one and roll with it. If you have a defective unit, get it exchanged. Remember that very few production units have real defects. When you visit a site like this, you are reading the nitpicking of hypercritical home theater buffs. You don't get to read the posts of the 99% happy buyers. You read the bitching and complaining of the 1% unsatisfied. This type of forum will skew perception and scare people. Don't let it happen to you. Back when I was building my theater a couple of years ago, I was considering the Epson 8500 but I was scared due to the wavy red line issue, loud iris, loud fan, poor convergence, exploding bulbs, etc....

Long story short, I manned up and got the 8500 and it has been perfect since installation. I have about 1000 hours on it (mainly just a weekend user) and the picture looks as perfect as it did on day 1.

This forum isn't all bad. In fact, it's a very valuable resource. But, take everything with a grain of salt.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"

post #6 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Thanks guys. I hope everyone realizes that my thread title was purely tongue in cheek. Certainly the more you read the harder it gets to make a decision but I love this forum and consider it a tremendous source of help. I don't post much I guess because I don't think I have much to contribute but I'm on here daily reading and learning.

I think I'm going to order a 5010. It's got plenty of brightness with a great 2d image and if we decide to give 3d a try we'll be all set.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page