Epson 8350 vs JVC DLA RS2 your thoughts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a budget of $1500 for a projector:
Have the option of a JVC DLA RS2 with new bulb, very nice condition.
Also looking at the Epson 8350 new.

I am new to projectors so need your advise.

I will have a light controlled room. Can go full dark as it is basement room with no windows.

My viewing will be movies on blue ray primarily.
Room will allow ceiling mount 12 or so feet from screen.
Screen would like to have 100 to 120 diagonal.

My processor is an Integra DCH 9.9

I currently use a Pioneer Elite Kuro 60" plasma TV (Last model before they stopped making them)

Since having the Kuro TV I have become a real fan of deep black levels.
I don't need 3D

Projectors:
JVC, my buddy owns this. He is very particular and the projector is like new. He installed new bulb (JVC OEM) and had some cleaning done by professional.
He has now moved up to a 3D JVC. I have seen the JVC RS2 prior to the bulb and was very impressed with the pic.

Epson 8350
Probably $200 or so less than the JVC price and new. I would love a newer "UB" projector but out of my current budget.

So

Will the 8350 have black approaching the older JVC (RS2 is a 2007 model I believe)

I hate to pay more for a used proj, but I know the JVC models are highly regarded.

This will be my "entry" in projectors. Next few years I will save my $ and step up to a newer higher end model.

What do you think?

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhollida View Post

I have a budget of $1500 for a projector:
Have the option of a JVC DLA RS2 with new bulb, very nice condition.
Also looking at the Epson 8350 new.

I am new to projectors so need your advise.

I will have a light controlled room. Can go full dark as it is basement room with no windows.

My viewing will be movies on blue ray primarily.
Room will allow ceiling mount 12 or so feet from screen.
Screen would like to have 100 to 120 diagonal.

My processor is an Integra DCH 9.9

I currently use a Pioneer Elite Kuro 60" plasma TV (Last model before they stopped making them)

Since having the Kuro TV I have become a real fan of deep black levels.
I don't need 3D

Projectors:
JVC, my buddy owns this. He is very particular and the projector is like new. He installed new bulb (JVC OEM) and had some cleaning done by professional.
He has now moved up to a 3D JVC. I have seen the JVC RS2 prior to the bulb and was very impressed with the pic.

Epson 8350
Probably $200 or so less than the JVC price and new. I would love a newer "UB" projector but out of my current budget.

So

Will the 8350 have black approaching the older JVC (RS2 is a 2007 model I believe)

I hate to pay more for a used proj, but I know the JVC models are highly regarded.

This will be my "entry" in projectors. Next few years I will save my $ and step up to a newer higher end model.

What do you think?

Thanks
Mark

I have the Pioneer version of the RS2 and I also have an RS45 . My friend has a 1080UB and I can tell you that this projector isn't in the same league with either of my projectors when it comes to black levels. His room isn't as dark as my room and is a little smaller so I'm not certain how much the environment affects this but...

I can also tell you that I had a Pioneer Kuro 6010 sold it and upgrade to a 6020 Kuro and his 1080UB made me want a projector but the black levels were not good enough. From my understanding the 8350 is a step down from the 1080UB but I'm not 100% certain. Both my projectors are also firing onto a Dalite HP screen which raises the black levels also FYI and his 1080UB is throwing onto and Elite Screen 1.1 white screen which will not raise black levels.

Let me know what you decide, I'll be selling my Pioneer soon and I'm wondering what they go for. For the record, I have under 600 hours on my unit.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

I know you said that your budget is $1500 but if it's at all possible to stretch it some you could get an 8700ub. B&H still has them in stock and it comes with an extra bulb by mail-in rebate from Epson. If you're looking for better blacks then the extra $499 will be more than worth it.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
The RS2 beats the 8350 in just about every regard except brightness. If you are dealing with a larger screen or a good amount of ambient light than I might consider the 8350 otherwise the RS2.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
+1.

I owned most of the low and mid-price projectors, including Epson and JVC.

Even the 8700ub is another LCD model. Go w/ the RS2 if depth and contrast are important to you (for movie watching, it's a plus). The Epson would have more natural color and higher lumens. JVC is LCoS, not LCD.

My current model is a RS20 but had the RS1 and RS2 prior to the upgrade. My other choice would have been a Sony HW20.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

The RS2 beats the 8350 in just about every regard except brightness. If you are dealing with a larger screen or a good amount of ambient light than I might consider the 8350 otherwise the RS2.

Or he could get a Dalite HP screen to make up for the lack of brightness. I used a 2.8 gain screen for a long time with mine and recently used it on a 119" HP 2.4 gain screen and with ~600 hrs on the bulb it was still relatively bright. And if he wants it more "Kuro" like the HP screen is better. It may raise black levels slightly but the brightness and vastly brighter whites makes up for it IMO.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
The HP is good but has its faults too, it depends on how his room is set up whether it would be a good choice or not. Screens work best when used in the manner they were designed and there is no one screen that works for every situation. Before going HP or any other screen do more research.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys!

After considering all I decided to go with my buds JVC RS2
Since it has new lamp and he said if any issues with new lamp he would deal with JVC. He has about 4 hrs on new lamp with no issues thus far. He really takes good care of his equipment so the proj is very nice, ceiling mounted only removed one time since new for new lamp.

I will have to see what he is using for screen.
This will be my "entry" into home theater projectors so I am sure I will learn a lot.

My room (In basement) will be almost completely dark during viewing (Night time no windows door closed). This will be pretty exclusive as movie room.
Sources will be Blue ray, DirecTV, and maybe netflix or other streaming movie. I will use my Integra 9.9 as pre to upscale any non high def material. Sports daytime viewing I will do upstairs in living room on my Plasma.

So as for the screen:
High gain? is that what I should consider.
I will use a fixed screen and would like to keep cost reasonable?? Have not really crossed that bridge so don't know what "mid level" screen would be?
For me since this is my entry.
Maybe 12 to 18 months I will consider a newer or new projector and I would assume most of the newer proj have higher brightness overall, as I see brightness on most proj have gone up over last several years.
Considering this I would probably? need to change screen when I upgrade?

Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page