Most reliable HT projector under $1,500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sick to death of projectors lasting only 1.5 - 2 years. I have owned an Infocus X1, 4605, X10. I have had every problem from bad boards of every sort, color wheels, you name it. I have also returned a Mit, and Optima with problems as well. This hobby is so expensive. Granted, I run them almost constantly in my living room... I prefer the picture of a DLP, but I don't care anymore.

What is the most reliable 1080P home theater proj. / brand under $1,500? Is there one?
Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

I am sick to death of projectors lasting only 1.5 - 2 years. I have owned an Infocus X1, 4605, X10. I have had every problem from bad boards of every sort, color wheels, you name it. I have also returned a Mit, and Optima with problems as well. This hobby is so expensive. Granted, I run them almost constantly in my living room... I prefer the picture of a DLP, but I don't care anymore.

What is the most reliable 1080P home theater proj. / brand under $1,500? Is there one?
Thanks much.

How long do you expect projectors to last when you run it constantly? We run ours a lot. My "new" 6500ub refurb has had an average of 10 hours per day runtime since we got it. This is why I buy only Epson. Their 2 year overnight replacement beats everyone. They send you a refurb and then you put your PJ in that box to send it back to them on their dime.

Some people complain that they receive a refurbish projector but that makes absolutely NO sense to complain about that. If you send your's in for repair to any manufacturer then when you get it back it's a repaired projector which is NOT as good as a refurbished projector. The refurbs come with new lamps but a repaired projector gets returned to you with the same lamp that it had when it went in.

By far the best deal you can get for under $1500 especially since you rack up the hours on it. A refurb 8100 is half your budget and a new 8350 is also well under it.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Maybe we should talk about hours rather than time when it comes to projector longevity? I didn't just fall out of a tree, and I think they are generally not well made enough to account for heat, dust, and there is a lack of durability of moving parts in general. I can say this from years of experience with these machines. I understand even the expensive 10K and higher Runco's don't last that long either.

Anyway, I was thinking perhaps Epson may be the way to go, and I appreciate your suggestion.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Mitsubishi hc4000 is the most reliable one under $1500 most likely. There are literally almost no reports of any issues at all in the entire hc4000 thread.

The Epsons would not make the reliability list, lamp issues, potential dust blobs, etc... DLP does not have this issue.

I am not saying Epson is unreliable, but you asked for the MOST reliable projector under $1500, and the hc4000 is most likely it or one of the leading candidates. Color wheel failures are much rarer these days due to improved motors, they benefited from the hard drive R&D of the past as they use the same type of motors, and just like HD reliability has improved so have color wheels.

I can't remember reading about a single color wheel failure in the past 3 years in either the hc3800 or hc4000 thread, I'm sure there was one or two but not many. Given how popular these projectors are and the fact almost never does anyone ever post a single issue of reliability or lamp failure, I am confident in my assessment that it is right up there with the most reliable.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Reliability is hard to gauge these days since most projectors are made in China and electronic components may not be high grade to keep profit margins high.

I'd get an Epson 8350.
Great PQ for the money, quiet and good light output.

You can pick them at Best Buy and if you have any issues within the first 30 days, you can do an exchange with them.
Basically with LCD, you just want to get one with good convergence.

Lamps are only a few hundred bucks and 2 year no questions asked advance replacement.
No limit on warranty exchanges and they are one of the few manufacturers that try to make sure their customers are satisfied long after the initial sale.
You can call them at 23 months & 29 days and they will be there to help make it right.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Either the 8350 or hc4000 is a decent choice.

The hc4000 has the better image if not sensitive to rainbows, but the 8350 has better placement flexibility. The hc4000 has better long-lasting lamps, and both Epson and Mits are awesome for the warranty service, they are two of the best. The Epson works better in ambient light.

So it often comes down to these two projectors. DLP is better for gaming IMO especially since the Mits hc4000 is sharper, but rainbows would quickly ruin that advantage if you are sensitive. The DLP is much more film-like since it has a FAR higher pixel fill ratio than the D7 panels.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2012, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is great information guys. I love the picture quality of Infocus, but they will not run for a year or so without major problems. Thanks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page