Is it true that I have to control room temp if I use a projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I recently bought a second home and I plan to convert the detached garage into a small dedicated home theater game room.

The room is around 20' x 18' (I'm guessing and I will measure tonight) It fits two cars.

I don't have heating or air installed yet but I do plan to install a wall mountd AC unit before the summer hits.

I'm back and forth over buying a projector or LED LCD for TV, gaming, and movie viewing.

My budget for the projector isn't a lot but I have the money set aside for the Optoma HD33.

Now I recently read that if I want the proj. to last I need to maintain a temp that does not go over 78 degrees F. This is the first I've heard this and living in southern California I have to deal with some pretty hot summers.

Is this something that I need to worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would say not so much when the projector is off, but definitely when the projector is on you will want to keep the room temp under 80 deg F so that it doesn't overheat. If the indoor temp is over 80 it strains the fans ability to keep the lamp housing under a certain much higher temp at which the lamp blows out. And these lamps are not cheap to replace, so keep that in mind. I would especially clean the filter often (once a month or more) so that the fan can circulate plenty of air.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It is not just the projector, you will be frying people in there without AC period. I don't think such a room can be done without AC as far as the occupants go, let alone the electronics.

My theater (converted attached garage) with even 5 people in it gets very hot even int he winter. When running without AC in the summer. Quite unbare-able. I mean in the summer even with everything off and nobody in there can get quite unbare-able.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-18-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

My other house (the one I moved out of) I converted the garage to a home theater as well and I had AC so it was fine. Like I stated in my first post I am installing AC in the garage and before this summer. I already bought all the insulation for the walls. I just need to run wiring, install insulation and AC. But I still didn't know I had to monitor my temps closely while its in use. In the summer when it's 110+ degrees F I usually keep my home at 80F to help keep my cooling bill to a minimum.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-18-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Operating Temperature. 41° to 95°F, 85% max humidity
http://www.optomausa.com/webresource...39d73c7d08.pdf

(fifth element)
post #6 of 17 Old 01-18-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah otherwise your projector is going to control the room temperature by making the room hotter hahah

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
post #7 of 17 Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Great info thanks. I've changed my mind though and will pick up the Mitsu HC4000.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

People put out a lot of heat too. So when you figure the stereo, the projector, the people, and whatever else you have in there, that's a lot of heat. I just cool the room about an hour before I start watching. But my A/C is zoned so I can use the whole 4 ton unit to cool the single room if I cut off the other zones for an hour.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 05:16 PM

Hmm. The PJ im looking at has a max operating temp of 95 also. So what happens in the summer when its 95-100 degrees and there is no AC, or you want to bring the PJ outdoors.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post

Now I recently read that if I want the proj. to last I need to maintain a temp that does not go over 78 degrees F. .........................
Is this something that I need to worry about?

I live in a low humidity mountain climate so I often let my viewing room get into the 80s in the summer. (I have a whole house fan that keeps the air moving so it is quite comfortable.)

I have used 5 different projectors from 4 different manufacturers and have never had a problem with overheating because of the room temperature.

Karl S.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you REALLY going to be watching a movie in the room if it's 95-100 degrees in there? I've been in my room when it was in the low 90s and it's not very comfortable to watch a movie.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 PM

"It is not just the projector, you will be frying people in there without AC period. I don't think such a room can be done without AC as far as the occupants go, let alone the electronics."

"Are you REALLY going to be watching a movie in the room if it's 95-100 degrees in there?"

The OP has said in two different posts that he is installing an air conditioner. Can't people read?

Karl S.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In my defense, I think he did say that after my post.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

It is amazing how hot a PJ can get. I was thinking is this thing going to blow?

I keep my room cool when I watch movie cause I want to relax.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm buying the HC4000 ASAP. Maybe this weekend actually. I'll not have AC in the garage for a little while but right now its cold as heck in there anyway.

Actually other than trying the projector out it will most likely be packed away for awhile anyway. I have a lot of work to do in the garage to get it ready for use.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just think of it this way... all of those rear projection tvs that were popular before flat screeens (mitsubishi still sells the heck out of them)... they all use lamps just like our projectors do. The enviormental needs to be similar. If you're comfortable in the room your eq. will be fine, as long as it can ventilate. I've had projectors for about 10 years and never had any issues. If it's gets so hot you're sweating you wont be in the room anyways.

FWIW... I'd be dying in an 80 degree room, but that's just me, movies suck when you're sweaty.... we've found about 72-74 is just right for out HT room.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM

Most projectors have a "high altitude" mode that basically just spins the fan faster (higher altitude means thinner air which means the fan needs to spin faster to move the same mass of air). That might let you push the room temp a bit higher, since it should be providing more cooling, at the expensive of more noise.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page