AE4000 Arrives as AE700 Self-destructs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My AE700 has provided years of good service, but recently the color suddenly took a disastrous turn. The picture looks washed out, and I seem to be looking through a dirty windshield tinged with blue. Further there is a wide swath of bright blue up the right edge of the picture, and smaller patches of blue scattered around. I am curious to know if anyone else has had a similar failure, and just what has happened. Years ago I owned a Sony PJ which was known for burning the blue plate, but the 700 problem has no brown, burned look. I looked for a 700 thread to post this on, but they are too far in the past.

Meanwhile I wasted no time ordering the AE4000 while the rebate is available. It arrives in two days, and I am very eager to see what it can do. I may even have to buy a Blue Ray player, which I have resisted up to now.

Bill

Bill Bunker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post

My AE700 has provided years of good service, but recently the color suddenly took a disastrous turn. The picture looks washed out, and I seem to be looking through a dirty windshield tinged with blue. Further there is a wide swath of bright blue up the right edge of the picture, and smaller patches of blue scattered around. I am curious to know if anyone else has had a similar failure, and just what has happened. Years ago I owned a Sony PJ which was known for burning the blue plate, but the 700 problem has no brown, burned look. I looked for a 700 thread to post this on, but they are too far in the past.

Meanwhile I wasted no time ordering the AE4000 while the rebate is available. It arrives in two days, and I am very eager to see what it can do. I may even have to buy a Blue Ray player, which I have resisted up to now.

Bill

Your PJ panels are dying and / or have a lot of dust. How often do you clean the filter?
The 4000 is way much better than the 700. Once you see a Blu-ray with this baby, there´s no going back.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

Your PJ panels are dying and / or have a lot of dust. How often do you clean the filter?
The 4000 is way much better than the 700. Once you see a Blu-ray with this baby, there´s no going back.

I have been a slacker when it comes to cleaning the filter, but it never has any visible dust when I do check it. The PJ operates from a high shelf in a utility space that isn't connected to my forced-air heating and stays amazingly dust free.

Since the change occurred abruptly, I'm inclined to believe that the LCD panels themselves failed. I'm not complaining considering all the years of service, just curious.

Bill

Bill Bunker
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page