Amazon proj return policy - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Amazon proj return policy

Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Morphx2's Avatar Morphx2
04:57 PM Liked: 10
post #31 of 57
01-24-2012 | Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

read the back of a best buy receipt

I dont need to read the back of the receipt a second time when I know what it said the first time I read it.

Have a great day.
domingos38's Avatar domingos38
05:02 PM Liked: 35
post #32 of 57
01-24-2012 | Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post

I dont need to read the back of the receipt a second time when I know what it said the first time I read it.

Have a great day.

well i just called best buys customer service and yes theres a 15% restocking fee for projectors
it says it on the back of the receipt.
are u blind or just can't come to terms that u are going to pay a restocking fee?
Morphx2's Avatar Morphx2
05:17 PM Liked: 10
post #33 of 57
Quote:

well i just called best buys customer service and yes theres a 15% restocking fee for projectors
it says it on the back of the receipt.
are u blind or just can't come to terms that u are going to pay a restocking fee?

I dont know why you are so rude. Feel free to visit www.bestbuy.com and read their return policy and also the webite I stated before.

If you really would like, i can take a photo with my phone of the receipt that is in the car, but I dont think I have to. If you want to keep thinking there is a restocking fee, feel free.

Have a good day.
05:19 PM Liked: 35
post #34 of 57
Quote:

I dont know why you are so rude. Feel free to visit www.bestbuy.com and read their return policy and also the webite I stated before.

If you really would like, i can take a photo with my phone of the receipt that is in the car, but I dont think I have to. If you want to keep thinking there is a restocking fee, feel free.

Have a good day.

why don't u just call best buy and get the facts
Morphx2's Avatar Morphx2
05:24 PM Liked: 10
post #35 of 57
Quote:

why don't u just call best buy and get the facts

Because your kind soul called best buy and got the true facts, correct?

So I see no need to call them when i know what is stated.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
srauly's Avatar srauly
06:53 PM Liked: 13
post #36 of 57
01-24-2012 | Posts: 1,531
Well, whaddya know, I just looked at the back of my Best Buy receipt and there is, indeed, a section with some "exceptions" to their no restocking fee policy. Sure enough, projectors are subject to a 15% restocking fee. You are not subject to this restocking fee if you are a "Reward Zone Program Premier Silver member" (that's a lot of words), the item is defective, or the restocking fee is prohibited by law (presumably, this is state-by-state).

This is interesting, though, because I specifically asked what the return policy was and if there were any restocking fees *BEFORE* I bought the projector and was told that there were no restocking fees. So, either my state (CT) prohibits this by law, or they lied to me (which I'm sure domingos38 would agree with me is certainly immoral). In any case, this actually makes me want to return the projector even more and, if need be, I guess I'll have to tell them it's defective, because I certainly am not going to try to claim that some salesperson whose name I don't remember told me there was no restocking fee, since I'm sure the discussion with the manager will become lengthy and will not end in my satisfaction.
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman
06:58 PM Liked: 37
post #37 of 57
01-24-2012 | Posts: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Well, whaddya know, I just looked at the back of my Best Buy receipt and there is, indeed, a section with some "exceptions" to their no restocking fee policy. Sure enough, projectors are subject to a 15% restocking fee. You are not subject to this restocking fee if you are a "Reward Zone Program Premier Silver member" (that's a lot of words), the item is defective, or the restocking fee is prohibited by law (presumably, this is state-by-state).

This is interesting, though, because I specifically asked what the return policy was and if there were any restocking fees *BEFORE* I bought the projector and was told that there were no restocking fees. So, either my state (CT) prohibits this by law, or they lied to me (which I'm sure domingos38 would agree with me is certainly immoral). In any case, this actually makes me want to return the projector even more and, if need be, I guess I'll have to tell them it's defective, because I certainly am not going to try to claim that some salesperson whose name I don't remember told me there was no restocking fee, since I'm sure the discussion with the manager will become lengthy and will not end in my satisfaction.

If you tell them it's defective, you have a choice.
Replacement or return with restocking fee.

You don't get a free return pass for defective.
Also, sometimes if the Geek Squad guy is there, he will fire up the projector to confirm your defect.
Dr. Crash's Avatar Dr. Crash
07:03 PM Liked: 12
post #38 of 57
01-24-2012 | Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Well, whaddya know, I just looked at the back of my Best Buy receipt and there is, indeed, a section with some "exceptions" to their no restocking fee policy. Sure enough, projectors are subject to a 15% restocking fee. .

My bet is that they have older receipt paper stock. They eliminated all restocking fees in 2010 and it is well documented. A Web search will quickly turn their press release up.
srauly's Avatar srauly
07:18 PM Liked: 13
post #39 of 57
01-24-2012 | Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post

My bet is that they have older receipt paper stock. They eliminated all restocking fees in 2010 and it is well documented. A Web search will quickly turn their press release up.

Wow, the plot thickens, but it sounds like you're right about them getting rid of the restocking fees. I just spent a few minutes Googling this and it sounds like they got rid of restocking fees for everything except "Special Order" items (whatever that means), but then I also came across this very recent USA Today article which states that even the "Special Orders" exception has been dropped. This is all good, if true, but I don't know that I will give them the benefit of the doubt in saying that they were using "older receipt paper stock" since, from what I'm reading, they supposedly changed these policies a long while ago. Based on my experiences dealing with this company, I wouldn't put it past them to intentionally print incorrect info on the receipts just to fool some people into not bothering to try to return something they're not happy with. This falls in line with their regular policy (as in, pretty much any time I ever buy anything there) of having their in-store prices be higher than their online prices, which then requires me to have them look it up and get a manager over to override the in-store price. Frankly, I look forward to the day they go out of business, and if my upcoming return of a projector can hasten that day, I'll gladly assume responsibility for my part in it.
07:23 PM Liked: 35
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post

i called best buys customer service and theres is a 15% restocking fee for PJ's
07:35 PM Liked: 37
post #41 of 57
01-24-2012 | Posts: 5,054
Quote:

Have a good day.

I see no mention of restocking fee.
Just a 14 day period for returning a projector but they have the right to refuse any return or exchange.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Top...at260800050014
08:08 PM Liked: 35
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I see no mention of restocking fee.
Just a 14 day period for returning a projector but they have the right to refuse any return or exchange.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Top...at260800050014

i called best buy,at first she said no restocking fee
when i mentioned what was written in the back of my best buy receipt she put me on hold and when she came back she told me that in fac t theres is a 15% restocking fee.
call them if u don't believe me
Morphx2's Avatar Morphx2
10:50 PM Liked: 10
post #43 of 57
while the receipt may be true, you have a good argument about how everything on their website claims no restocking fee and everything you read online has no restocking fee. If they do claim about a 15%, im sure you can get it waived, or contact credit card after if you wish.
boxer0987's Avatar boxer0987
06:10 PM Liked: 10
post #44 of 57
01-26-2012 | Posts: 37
Quote:

i called best buy,at first she said no restocking fee
when i mentioned what was written in the back of my best buy receipt she put me on hold and when she came back she told me that in fac t theres is a 15% restocking fee.
call them if u don't believe me

Not trying to side one way or the other as I do not know there return policy but if you told her what your receipt said on the back she probably just came back on the line and agreed with you to end the conversation. I have worked in customer service before and this is done a lot when people don't know an answer to a question.
srauly's Avatar srauly
08:12 AM Liked: 13
post #45 of 57
01-27-2012 | Posts: 1,531
Quick update on the Amazon return. They received my Epson 3010 and processed the refund today. I was totally shocked to see that they refunded me the entire amount minus the $6 UPS pick-up fee. There was no additional deduction for the UPS ground shipping or insurance (which might be normally built into the UPS ground shipping costs). Meanwhile, I'm leaning towards keeping the BB-bought Epson 8350 because it seems like it may be a good fit for my wants/needs. I was tempted by the Panasonic AR100U for the added brightness, but the 8350 seems bright enough, and was tempted by the Acer H9500BD but Amazon's out of stock and I'm worried that the less flexible zoom/shift might require that I move my mount (yes, that's being lazy).

My only regret is that I can't give my business back to Amazon for the 8350. But I haven't noticed any defects with this 8350, and Amazon recently bumped the price up, so it's not really much cheaper vs the BB price I got. Add to that, BB's back-of-receipt 15% restocking fee sleaziness which might result in me having to waste a lot of time at BB and leave disappointed. So, I think I'm just going to save myself the angst and stick with the BB-bought 8350.
mrfattbill's Avatar mrfattbill
08:37 AM Liked: 63
post #46 of 57
01-27-2012 | Posts: 832
Quote:

i called best buys customer service and theres is a 15% restocking fee for PJ's

You are being given bad information on the phone, trust me, I shop at BB a LOT. The only one is a 25% restocking fee for special order items only.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Top...8&CMP=rzss_rte

You can also search their own forums.
http://forums.bestbuy.com/

Bill
PoisonWolf's Avatar PoisonWolf
08:50 AM Liked: 10
post #47 of 57
01-27-2012 | Posts: 280
Multiple returns on fairly expensive items can result in your Amazon account getting irreversibly banned. =) They have a system in a place for people who are "trying" out their inventory.
Morphx2's Avatar Morphx2
09:09 AM Liked: 10
post #48 of 57
01-27-2012 | Posts: 330
Next Friday um returning my projector to best buy if you feel like waiting
09:17 AM Liked: 37
post #49 of 57
01-27-2012 | Posts: 5,054
Quote:

Are you a Premier Silver member?
srauly's Avatar srauly
09:35 AM Liked: 13
post #50 of 57
01-27-2012 | Posts: 1,531
Quote:

My 14 days are up tomorrow (FWIW, I'm not a Silver member), so I have to make the decision by then. Again, I do like the projector, but there's part of me that thinks I could like the Acer H9500BD (or something else) even better.
Morphx2's Avatar Morphx2
04:22 PM Liked: 10
post #51 of 57
01-27-2012 | Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Are you a Premier Silver member?

No sir, not a premier member
crunchyfrogs's Avatar crunchyfrogs
04:37 PM Liked: 10
post #52 of 57
01-27-2012 | Posts: 290
This is one of the better internet nerd fights I have seen in awhile
Morphx2's Avatar Morphx2
07:06 PM Liked: 10
post #53 of 57
02-03-2012 | Posts: 330
I just returned my projector to best buy. No restocking fees. Case closed!
soccermatt34's Avatar soccermatt34
10:36 PM Liked: 10
post #54 of 57
02-03-2012 | Posts: 10
Somebody call the restocking police!
srauly's Avatar srauly
06:47 AM Liked: 13
post #55 of 57
02-04-2012 | Posts: 1,531
Congrats Morphx2. Now I'll be second-guessing myself for keeping the Epson 8350 vs trying one or two other models (e.g., Acer H9500BD).

I do think I'll be happy with the 8350, though, and at $1200 or less, it's a nice price point where I can more easily justify upgrading again in another year or two.
Toksook Bay's Avatar Toksook Bay
06:58 PM Liked: 10
post #56 of 57
02-04-2012 | Posts: 63
I didn't buy a projetor, but went to best buy to look and the only one you can see working is the $4000 JVC which is set up in the test room. How the heck are you supposed to know what you like if you can' test it out. Can you really just read some feedback about an item and decide that is the picture you like.
Heck, probably alot of the feedback is fake anyway.

I have been researching to buy a projector for several weeks now and I can say its a royal PITA without the option of testing them out.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy
07:02 PM Liked: 150
post #57 of 57
02-04-2012 | Posts: 10,025
We can help you, did you see Zombie's testing thread comparing the RS-45, Sony hw30, Epson 5010, and others in the 3k+ Forum?
None of the feedback in there is fake, it's all mostly done by veteran members. Zombie had all of the projectors at the same time almost, he got them from AVS for testing.

What is your primary goal in viewing, screen size, room lighting conditions, screen material, throw distance, 2.35 or 16:9 screen?

Every projector has advantages/disadvantages, some are really good at black levels, some are best at 3D brightness, some are good at all things but not the best at any single thing.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread