Epson 3010 versus Panasonic H9500BD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As I am frantically realizing that there are other projectors that may work for me (namely the H9500BD and the AR100U), I am posting a couple threads to ask if people have experiences comparing the two. There is a "3010 vs HD33/3300 vs H9500BD" thread but it's really about people telling the OP that the Mitsu HC4000 is better...

For reference, this thread has pictures of a 3010 projecting in my living room. It gets washed out at times, but that's when the kids and I should be outside or doing something else! (My only worry here is summer evenings---we'll deal).

I read Art's review of the H9500BD but at some point it's all copy from the 3010 review. It seems like he stopped halfway through (maybe after the "will be updated tomorrow" sentence). It seems like the H9500BD's advantage about the 3010 will be 2D to 3D conversion (something only the kids MAY care about), better blacks (I care) and CFI in all modes (we don't care very much). It seems like disadvantages would be price ($1500 with one pair of glasses versus $1400 with four pairs for the Epson on a refurb model) and less lumens especially in 3D, which may not work with my living room?

Who has used both, or at least has a close hands on experience with the H9500BD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 PM

Liked: 10
If you have time, check out the threads for each projector. I think a few people commented on the differences.

I dont know offhand, i dont have either =(

Oh, and that episode of Modern Family is funny
post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had both and I kept the 3010 because I found its color to be much more saturated, more vivid, and yet still more accurate. I think that is the biggest advantage for the 3010 even more than brightness in 3d.

What did I find in the 9500? I found Art was right. The auto iris bumped the black up and down in a distracting manner, so it was not such a great feature. The picture sure had pop and contrast, though. The color I just could never get to look right, at least not whenever I made direct comparison to the 3010's color. And the 9500's picture could not stand up to ambient light anywhere near what the 3010 could do. In 3d, the 9500 was competent, no ghosting, and real good contrast and pop, but the colors looked washed out in comparison to the 3010 in 3d. Sorry, 9500, but that is what I found with my eyes.

Falafala had the Optoma 33, the Acer 9500 and the Epson 3010 and reported he kept the 3010 for many of the same reasons I ended up keeping it, but that thread is sure worth the read.

Ack-bk had the 3010 and the 9500 and kept the 9500, so individual preference determines it.

The 3010 has 50 ms more lag than the 9500. That did not bother me once I tried them both on some ps3 3d games, but for those who want a responsive game control, like for online shooters or racing games, the lag on the 3010 would be unacceptable.

However, for all around use in a living room, the 3010 is a beauty. It's combination of good contrast, great color, vividness and brightness, plus 3d redefines home entertainment. However again, you just can't go wrong with either of these or even with some others as well. We are in a golden age of home theater.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Ambient light is probably my main issue (even though I refuse to admit it, summer will prove me wrong!). I game, some, but it's not like my driving skills are within 90 ms of "make it or break it." My son plays a lot of FPS and says he's noticed some lag but that's only after I asked him, so his teenage brain may have just say "well if Dad thinks so, it must be there." At some level I'm all for him dying faster because of lag and maybe rediscovering books or his bicycle!

Tigerprice has the H9500BD for $1500 shipped, and their return policy is perfect (just ship it back intact with all accessories and manuals). So trying it out would be a $30-$50 (shipping cost) proposition. But I don't want to get one if it's unlikely that it will compare favorably to the 3010.

Maybe the true comparison for me is the 3010 vs the AR100 made for living rooms. I personally don't care for 3D much (the images are just too "shiny" to my taste) but kids are getting used to it through theaters and well... It's tough to balance the features (more light versus 3D)
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I don't see how any projector could look good with that much light coming in. Maybe just find the brightest 1080p you can for the lowest cost. I have the Acer 9500 but its in a in a dedicated bat cave where the Acer really shines with better contrast and much deeper blacks than the 3010, but you're not going to see the difference in that room, maybe at night. I do think you would change your mind about 3D if you saw the Acer 9500 in a good room, it has zero ghosting with deep blacks and a film like picture with great depth. If its more for TV watching in a lighted room maybe the 3010 is better.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You need exactly three things for your ambient lit room - (1) lumens, (2) lumens and (3) lumens. Don't waste any time with the acer 9500 or the epson 8700 or 8350 - each of them have some good points, but none of them are bright enough for your purpose.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

I have had both and I kept the 3010 because I found its color to be much more saturated, more vivid, and yet still more accurate. I think that is the biggest advantage for the 3010 even more than brightness in 3d.

What did I find in the 9500? I found Art was right. The auto iris bumped the black up and down in a distracting manner, so it was not such a great feature. The picture sure had pop and contrast, though. The color I just could never get to look right, at least not whenever I made direct comparison to the 3010's color. And the 9500's picture could not stand up to ambient light anywhere near what the 3010 could do. In 3d, the 9500 was competent, no ghosting, and real good contrast and pop, but the colors looked washed out in comparison to the 3010 in 3d. Sorry, 9500, but that is what I found with my eyes.

Falafala had the Optoma 33, the Acer 9500 and the Epson 3010 and reported he kept the 3010 for many of the same reasons I ended up keeping it, but that thread is sure worth the read.

Ack-bk had the 3010 and the 9500 and kept the 9500, so individual preference determines it.

The 3010 has 50 ms more lag than the 9500. That did not bother me once I tried them both on some ps3 3d games, but for those who want a responsive game control, like for online shooters or racing games, the lag on the 3010 would be unacceptable.

However, for all around use in a living room, the 3010 is a beauty. It's combination of good contrast, great color, vividness and brightness, plus 3d redefines home entertainment. However again, you just can't go wrong with either of these or even with some others as well. We are in a golden age of home theater.

I was letting people know that some iris setting got posted on the official acer thread which minimized the annoyance factor of the iris changes.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #8 of 8 Old 10-29-2012, 03:39 PM

Liked: 13
My 2 cents:

I haven't owned the Epson 3010, but did have the 8350, which is supposedly pretty similar to the 3010 in terms of 2D image quality. I can say that the Acer kills the 8350 in almost every aspect of image quality - it produces a richer, more vibrant image with much better dynamic range. The iris isn't perfect, but neither is the iris on the entry level Epson machines. I found the 8350s iris pretty much unusable and very noisy (not certain if the 3010 has improved on this). I have kept the iris on the Acer running.

Have also owned the Mitsubishi HC4000, and really loved the image. The Mitsubishi has more accurate colour than the Acer, but black levels and overall pop favour the Acer. I would say that the Mitsubishi is slightly sharper, but really not much in it. Overall I'd take the Acer, but can see how some might prefer the Mits - both are really nice overall.

The 3D on the Acer is quite simply superb. very clean and loads of contrast.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page