Will the HC4000 work for me or should I buy something else? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I plan to pull the trigger on a new projector tomorrow morning (Thursday) and I have been wanting to grab up a Mitsu HC4000. I played around with Mitsubishi's throw chart and I think this projector might not work for me. I'm a total newb when it comes to projectors though so maybe one of you experts can help me out with placement.

I really want a 120" screen but will settle for smaller if I must. My heart was set at 120 though.

My home theater room is dedicated & light controlled. It has an 8ft ceiling and is 17.5 feet wide X 20 feet long.

I figure I'd have to mount the HC4000 to the ceiling but I'm open to suggestions. I have this mount as well as a longer pole to go with it if needed: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Also if you guys think this projector is wrong for my needs then please point me in the right direction. I'd love to keep the projector cost at or below $1500.00 but I'd add more to the budget if I absolutely have to. If it means getting my 120" screen then I'll add more to the budget.

My uses are as follows:

HD TV viewing, Blu-ray movies, PS3 and 360 game playing and some DVD viewing. I would prefer less lag for game playing. Projector must be 1080p 16:9 and I do not want 3d.

I'd love to buy something in the morning so I can get the items in on Friday for a weekend install.

Thanks in advance!

-White Noise
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 159
The Benq w6000 will give you the option to do a bigger screen easier, you can find them under $1500 sometimes. The other option is the Epson 8350, it will also let you, but it is an LCD instead of a DLP.

You can do the 120" screen with the Mits hc4000 in your room (as long as nothing is in the way of course), but you'd have to mount the bottom of the screen only 12" from the floor due to your 8-foot ceilings, most people prefer a screen mounted at least 24" from the floor. For me it wouldn't bother me much having the screen that low though.

You should buy the projector first, and then buy the screen after you figure out exactly how you want to do it.

BTW, you can do a 120" 2.35 screen (CIH) instead of 16:9 with the Mits hc4000 without an anamorphic lens, and still keep the bottom of the screen 2 feet above the floor.

Try out my calculator in my signature for some additional help, it has the Mits hc4000 in it.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I was hoping you would stop by my thread. Your calculator confuses me a little...lol I attempted to use it earlier and didn't really get anywhere. Played with it some more just now and I think I know what I'm doing. It has loads more info that's for sure.

A 2.35 screen is a possible solution. I have no idea how many of my blu-ray movies are that format size. If most of my movies are 16:9 then i would have to deal with a smaller view-able projection.

Having the screen a foot off the floor might be okay by me my only concern would be the second row seating. But I could figure something out I'm sure.

The Epson Home Cinema 8350 was my second choice and ultimately might be my best choice for my room but I do prefer DLP. Gaming lag should be fine on this projector but PQ is not quite as good as the HC4000 according to reviews..

It's a tuff choice to be honest.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I think 80%+ of movies are 2.35, 2.40 or between those and close.
Only a handful of blurays are 16:9.

16:9 is TV, Cable, Sports, etc...

DLP is better IMHO if you are not rainbow sensitive.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Coderguy.

I agree that DLP is good. I even own a 61" Samsung Series 7 LED DLP which resides in my living room. Love it and I've never had issues with the rainbow effect. Neither has my Wife.

That said and as much as I wanted the HC4000 I opted to buy the Epson 8350. It's LCD which is a slight let down but reading reviews its PQ is damn close to the HC4000 but it's ability to be placed almost anywhere is what won me over. The response time is more than good enough for fast pace games and sports.

I had a feeling that getting the HC4000 placement right was going to be a pain in the butt so I opted for the next best unit in my price range.

It will be here tomorrow so I will test it out this weekend. If for any reason I'm not totally impressed I will exchange it for something else.

Thanks for your input.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page