Epson 8350 - Bulb Life - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 78 Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried a generic lamp once. It lasted 31 days with a 30 day warranty (from some ebay seller.) I will pay the extra for the genuine lamp. I wish I knew where my free one was (I bought a 9350 and had the included extra lamp come up as missing during a move.) I luckily have another replacement, as my lamp died this morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 03-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Epson bulbs have a 90 day warranty. They just told me this when I called about my 5 month old 1000 hour failure, that they are replacing.

Which is good for them, because I would never buy another Epson projector if they hadn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Just to contribute to this thread:

I have an 8700UB and have had 3 lamps fail since I bought the projector almost 3 years ago.

Lamp lifes are approx:

1) 2800
2) 1800
3) 925

With the 3rd failure occurring just last week. I know have a 4th lamp in there. So far I've not had to pay anything additional for lamps. I got the spare lamp with the promo when I bought the projector and the first two lamp failures occurred within warranty, so now, basically 3 years later I'm having to finally install the "spare" (I rotated stock after every initial Epson replacement).

I did not check the first lamp failure, but failures #2 and #3 had a drooping element.

Unfortunately, I really don't have a desire to "upgrade" the projector and for the first time in 3 years I currently do not have a spare sitting on a shelf.

I see prices for an OEM lamp to be about $250 from known vendors and $299 from Epson directly. I don't see much mention of a warranty or guarantee with regards to OEM lamps. Where is everyone getting their replacements? I'm inclined to just get it from Epson if they've switched suppliers for material reasons and if there's a chance that if after 6 months or something a bulb fails prematurely that they'll dip into their known good customer service and send a new one out.

buytme
post #63 of 78 Old 10-10-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bulb Life

Based on our usage, we were told to expect our bulb to last about 4 years. The first bulb lasted 6 months after purchasing the projector and bulb.. We bought through the company called "Projector People"....

We contacted Epson direct and they were very helpful... Of course, you feel like customer service never really believes you when you tell them you don't sit in front of your projector all day! LOL

The second bulb lasted longer -- about 2 years. We just replaced and the old bulb had 2320 hours on it...
post #64 of 78 Old 11-12-2014, 02:11 AM

Purchased a Powerlite Pro Cinema 9100 in 2010. It came with 2 bulbs. I specifically purchased this unit due to the longer warranty and stated 4000 hour life of the bulbs.

First one lasted ~1000 hours, ending with a bang. Thought it must have been a defect so let it slide and installed the second bulb.

Second one ~1200 hours, ending with a droop.

I contacted Epson, blah blah, 8000 hours, blah, help me, blah.

All they'd offer is a tiny discount on an OEM bulb ($75 off). It's obviously a design defect if bulbs rated at 4000 hours are lasting 1000 hours, and from what I've read here they've admitted as much. If I'd contacted them immediately when my first bulb popped (2012) they might have replaced it I'm guessing.

Anyway, nothing came of my emails with Epson America. I've ordered a cheap bulb replacement, and also written to Epson Japan explaining the situation. Might as well go straight to the top to let them know about their false advertising in an attempt to cheat people out of money, not only for the original purchase, but for the neverending stream of maintenance costs.

I'll not stop contacting them until this is resolved and they replace my bulbs - the scammers.

myepsonprojectorexperience.com is available. Hmmmm... could SEO the crap out of that one and warn people of the perils of dealing with Epson (one of my favourite companies until now!).

..and to think, my plans all along were to get a machine that would last me into the LED/laser generation, when I'd drop many thousands more with the same company.

Epson! Y U so scammy!?
post #65 of 78 Old 11-20-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirty View Post
Purchased a Powerlite Pro Cinema 9100 in 2010. It came with 2 bulbs. I specifically purchased this unit due to the longer warranty and stated 4000 hour life of the bulbs.

First one lasted ~1000 hours, ending with a bang. Thought it must have been a defect so let it slide and installed the second bulb.

Second one ~1200 hours, ending with a droop.

I contacted Epson, blah blah, 8000 hours, blah, help me, blah.

All they'd offer is a tiny discount on an OEM bulb ($75 off). It's obviously a design defect if bulbs rated at 4000 hours are lasting 1000 hours, and from what I've read here they've admitted as much. If I'd contacted them immediately when my first bulb popped (2012) they might have replaced it I'm guessing.

Anyway, nothing came of my emails with Epson America. I've ordered a cheap bulb replacement, and also written to Epson Japan explaining the situation. Might as well go straight to the top to let them know about their false advertising in an attempt to cheat people out of money, not only for the original purchase, but for the neverending stream of maintenance costs.

I'll not stop contacting them until this is resolved and they replace my bulbs - the scammers.

myepsonprojectorexperience.com is available. Hmmmm... could SEO the crap out of that one and warn people of the perils of dealing with Epson (one of my favourite companies until now!).

..and to think, my plans all along were to get a machine that would last me into the LED/laser generation, when I'd drop many thousands more with the same company.

Epson! Y U so scammy!?
RE: Mirty

I ran into the same issue. Purchased my projector in 2011 after 1100 hours of use the bulb dropped. Last week projector started to dim and wouldn't turn on after a point (no picture)

I contacted cs got routed up and waiting for a phone call back from a senior associate ( that was 3 days ago)

I mentioned to them that I have proof that their product is faulty- theres 100's of people with the same issue on the forum.

Any luck or emails back on your end?
post #66 of 78 Old 11-21-2014, 03:07 AM

No word yet from my mail to Japan I'm afraid, however, I did actually send a physical letter -- with a stamp! That sure hurt, but I'm hoping it will attract more attention than yet another email.

They really are cheating people if they admit to a design flaw then refuse to honour replacement lamps for people who purchased their units based on advertised longevity.

If I hear from them, I'll say something here for sure, and I hope you can do the same

In the meantime, I *just today* picked up my cheap bulb and it works perfectly... It has a 120 day warranty, which is a month better than the Epson scammers would offer me on a new bulb, and, I'm not kidding, it cost me 7x less than what Epson charges (so I immediately ordered two more).

At this time I'm too frustrated to contemplate purchasing anything from Epson again, pending their response. It's not the price, it's the ethics, though in a profit-above-all universe, I suppose other companies wouldn't do much better.
post #67 of 78 Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just wanted to note my experience. I bought my 8350 from bb in jan 2011. I has 3377 hrs on it, its always worked great, playing 12+ hrs a day on occasion. There evidently was a bad batch of bulbs or some other electrical issues because I could not ask for more.
curtlots likes this.
post #68 of 78 Old 01-26-2015, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hey all, been reading up on this thread, Interesting.
I'm in the market for buying a FPj and am thinking of getting the Epson 8350 .

A couple of questions: My room is 12'x13'x8'. do you get much fan noise from the 8350 unit?
Or do you totally forget that it is even on once the movie begins to play?
Just wondering since my room is small and the pj will be ceiling mounted right above the seating area in the room.

Also, any advantages going LCD v. going with a DLP pj?

thanks for the input,
TroyH
post #69 of 78 Old 01-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It worked great for my gaming needs for about 3 1/2 years before my recent Sony upgrade. I have pretty close the same dimension setup for my bedroom setup and I would sit basically a foot under the projector. I ran it in Eco mode and Auto Iris on. I will admit to hearing the Iris every now and then during the quieter moments but once you get into the game/movie. Everything that you are worrying about hearing becomes nothing. Oh and I was still on my first bulb with 2700+ hours to boot

Supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray
My DVD Collection
post #70 of 78 Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh4 View Post

A couple of questions: My room is 12'x13'x8'. do you get much fan noise from the 8350 unit?
Just wondering since my room is small and the pj will be ceiling mounted right above the seating area in the room.

thanks for the input,
TroyH

Troy my room is 12x15x8 with the projector right above the seating area, you can hear it when there is no sound track playing, but it quickly fades away with any sound track. the fan sound was not an issue for me and no one in the several years of use now as ever commented on hearing it. my bulb just burned out and this is the first issue with the unit. and I am guessing we are close to 3000-4000 hrs, it gets used a lot. now I have to figure if I can change the bulb with the unit mounted to the ceiling which I think I can and if a generic bulb is as good an OEM bulb is.
post #71 of 78 Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
bobs77vet: Thanks for the input! Good to hear that the projector has been enjoyable to you all this time and with no issues of major fan noise. Let me know how the bulb change goes, and whether or not you had to take it down to replace bulb . Also if you went with OEM or generic bulb?
Has Epson replaced this model with a newer version?
Thanks
post #72 of 78 Old 02-28-2015, 07:10 AM

5986 hrs on a knock off bulb

okay, I am dumb, but I bought a knock off bulb for just over $81, just over $100 delivered. It has had the bulb change light on for the last six months, but it lasted me 2 1/2 years. I finally decided it was going to blow if I didn't change it, and changed it with 5986 hours. Crazy. I don't know, maybe some guys have a bad projector. Mine seem to last forever. My kidsrun the projector practically all day long, they forget to turn it off, play Xbox on Full brightness, everything bad you could do to a projector. I swear, for real!
post #73 of 78 Old 02-28-2015, 07:15 AM

I changed my bulb up just now. There is a little hole in the back that you put a screwdriver into that pops the panel open. You should see a large flush rectangular panel on the bottom of the projector. Actually, it's the top of the project, but mine is mounted upside down for ceiling mounting. Just press the button inside the little hole on the back, pop the cover off, unscrew the two screws and remove the old bulb. Super easy. Promise.
post #74 of 78 Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh4 View Post

thanks for the input,
TroyH
My room is 14x18. Picture looks great on my 105" screen. Can I hear the fan? Only if I listen for it. I definitely don't hear it when the movie/tv/video games are going. If I turn them off, yes, there's a faint fan sound that is just loud enough to remind me that the projector is still running, and I'd better turn it off before I leave the room.
post #75 of 78 Old 02-28-2015, 05:27 PM

My first bulb lasted around 3500 hours. Never blew, but started to get dim so I purchased an aftermarket bulb off of Amazon for $60. The aftermarket bulb works just like the OEM and has 1500 hours on it so far. Still looks great.
post #76 of 78 Old 03-25-2015, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Who was the seller of the bulb?
post #77 of 78 Old 04-07-2015, 02:03 PM

Thumbs down

Update:

My snail-mail was returned, unopened.

The *very* cheap replacement bulb is working perfectly, and I now have 2 more spares.

Screw you Epson. Your customer service stinks, and you've lost a customer forever, all over a part that costs you a pittance. You make a great projector, then mess things up over a bulb. Crazy.

I shall make sure nobody I know gets suckered by Epson.
post #78 of 78 Old 04-15-2015, 06:29 PM

I'm a bit foggy on the timeframe & specifics, but I do know that the 8350 that I am using is a few years old & has never had a bulb last anywhere close to 4000 hours. 1200 max.
The projector stays off for days at a time & the longest time we've succeeded in accruing is approx. 1200 hrs.
In the beginning, Epson must have replaced the projector at least twice, bulbs twice too, I think.
With my brother now moved out, (the projector is his but he left it with me,) all the tech savy & memories of warranty claims went with him & I am let to trip over myself figuring things out for myself.
I suppose that's a good thing in the long run.
Luckily, changing the bulb was very easy.
We once tried a cheap bulb but, it did not do well at all. Flickering &/or breathing. We returned it & as instructed by my brother, now buy only Epson brand bulbs. Didn't want to take chances with damaging the projector, especially since it is not mine. I did buy my most recent bulb on Amazon for $153. $100 less than the prior bulb.
Just installed it.
Looks swell but been running only about 10 minutes.
We usually run the color mode on "Natural", but it seemed a little low so I have it set on "Living Room" now. I'll see for sure once the sun goes down.
I would be interested in knowing if Espon would still replace my burned out bulb because it has so few hours on it, though how would I prove it now. I re-set the hours on the projector when I changed out the bulb & we are long past any warranty on the projector & bulb, but still(!), an ongoing problem from day one.
Anyway, just another person's experience in this well worn, unfortunate subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page