Another Projector Noob Looking For Advice... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just bought my first house and i'm looking to set up a relatively inexpensive home theater in my basement. i've already painted the walls and ceiling dark flat gray and red. looks sweet. anyway, i have a general idea of what i wanna do, but i wanted to throw it by the folks here to get some advice and pointers.

the room is about 15'x12'. fully light controlled basement. i'm leaning towards the hd33 and a 110" jamestown or elite sable screen. seating distance will be about 13" and i want the throw distance to be about 12' so people can get up and go to the bathroom or get refreshments and whatnot without walking in front of the lens. i plan on mounting the projector on the ceiling as close to flush as i can. ceiling is 8'.

though the room is light controlled, i'd like the option for some ambient light. i bought a light fixture for the middle of the ceiling that has 3 little flood lights on it. all the light can be directed away from the screen.

the projector will be used for games, tv, movies, and sports in roughly equal parts. 3D isn't an absolute must, but i'd certainly like the option. my budget for the projector maxes out at about $1500. B&H has the hd33 refurbished for $1160 which falls well within my budget and gives me the extra cash to get a decent fixed frame screen rather than trying my luck at a DIY paint job. from my research, i can't do much better for the money, as the hd33 has solid 2D and 3D PQ and doesn't seem to suffer from lag issues.

so i guess i just wanna know if there is anything i'm not taking into consideration or if i've overlooked something in my prospective setup. and input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The HD33 does awesome 3d and good 2d but at this price point there are much better 2d projectors. If you must have 3d then the HD33 is your best bet.

If you haven't read this:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/opto...tor_review.htm

and this:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/opto...ompetitors.php
post #3 of 8 Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post

The HD33 does awesome 3d and good 2d but at this price point there are much better 2d projectors. If you must have 3d then the HD33 is your best bet.

If you haven't read this:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/opto...tor_review.htm

and this:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/opto...ompetitors.php

thanks for the input. i've read those reviews and a few others online. i know the black levels are pretty lackluster, but the overall 2D PQ doesn't seem bad by any means. and since this is my first projector, i'm not sure i'd notice the deficiency in black levels anyway.

that being said, i kinda hope the acer h9500bd goes on sale or some refurbs pop up soon. it seems better than the hd33 overall, but it's just out of my price range.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

i'm going to get a fixed frame screen, but i'm not sure if i should get gray or white or what gain i should be looking at. help?
post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think you have a good plan. Some gain in your screen would probably be best even though you have good light control. Seymour AV sells great acoustically transparent screen material that has 1.2 gain. Or, people like the High Power screen with the Optoma HD33 even though they usually ceiling mount. As a 3D fan, I don't think a gray screen would be an advantage, because you would be giving up brightness you will want in 3D. All in all, the screen won't matter too much, as with a fixed screen you will have no wrinkles and a decent surface whatever you buy.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
As an Acer 9500 owned I am a little biased, but I really am impressed with the 9500. Contrast for 2D and 3D is excellent. Like all entry level 3D projectors it has some quirks, but it puts out a solid picture.

With a 110" screen I don't think you need much in terms of screen gain based on your room dimensions. You are not going to have a long throw and that will boast your lumens. If you have the option to paint the walls and ceiling a darker color, it will help even more. I am using a 1.2 SeymourAV AT screen (125") and there are no issues for me, even with some ambient light for 2D (but it does look better with no lights). For 3D, you really want to keep the lights off since the glasses eliminate about 75% of the lumen output from your projector.

Otherwise, you may want to look at the BenQ W6000. It is in your price range and is a solid 2D projector.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Look into Carada Brilliant White screens (and google for their reviews).
My suggestion is to get their BW series. Here check mine out:
Click here

I believe your more permanent investment is the screen. Projector technologies and models change on a yearly basis but the screen is for the most part a one time investment that you will use for years to come.

For games and sports you want that pop and color. Down the road you'll probably want a better projector with better contrast and blacks and you won't have to worry about switching out the screen again.

Also look into the Epson 3010. Very bright projectors with great color. If it's picture quality is anything like the Epson 8350, you'll be in for a treat.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post

Look into Carada Brilliant White screens (and google for their reviews).
My suggestion is to get their BW series. Here check mine out:
Click here

I believe your more permanent investment is the screen. Projector technologies and models change on a yearly basis but the screen is for the most part a one time investment that you will use for years to come.

For games and sports you want that pop and color. Down the road you'll probably want a better projector with better contrast and blacks and you won't have to worry about switching out the screen again.

Also look into the Epson 3010. Very bright projectors with great color. If it's picture quality is anything like the Epson 8350, you'll be in for a treat.

thanks for the recommendation (and kudos on the badass spawn statue) but the carada is just way out of my price range right now. i'd rather get something cheap now and buy something better when i have the money.

and i'd be very interested in the 3010 if it weren't for the lag issues.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page