Coderguy's Top Projector Picks - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 259 Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
coderguy

In what difference of these models JVC DLA-RS45E or JVC DLA-X30.
Who shows 3D better: JVC DLA-RS45E or Optoma HD33.
What videoprojector perfectly shows 2D and 3D?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 259 Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
You going to be doing a new 2013 thread soon - the info should start coming out in the next month? This really should be a sticky, not that the advice is perfect, but it is a good starting point for people's research.
post #93 of 259 Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I might if I have time...

I travel for work and that is usually when I get to see the different projectors. Unfortunately, this year, I may not be traveling for a while, I just finished a month trip. The other thing is, I was lucky last time in the sense that I was shopping for a NEW PJ for myself, so I had gone out and seen a bunch (plus I had a couple friends buy some units). I will see what is near me, but generally I haven't had too much luck near me, I had more luck in other cities.

I think if I do it this year, I will need to break down and become a registered reviewer with the various MFR's, something which I didn't do last time (started to though, so have some contacts).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #94 of 259 Old 09-16-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladL View Post

coderguy
In what difference of these models JVC DLA-RS45E or JVC DLA-X30.
Who shows 3D better: JVC DLA-RS45E or Optoma HD33.
What videoprojector perfectly shows 2D and 3D?
Thanks!

1) Same basic model, sold through different channels
2) Optoma HD33
3) BenQ W7000

wink.gif

Jason
post #95 of 259 Old 11-04-2012, 11:48 PM

Was the Acer h6500 considered in these rankings?
post #96 of 259 Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nope, never seen it.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #97 of 259 Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Coderguy, What are the best 3D Capable or Ready Projectors in the $1,000.00 (above or below) $500.00 (above or below) price range. I need a projector that can be connected to a Panasonic 110 3D Blu-Ray player without an external adapter. I found the Vivitek D512 projector for $416.99 at Walmart. But, I'm not entirely certain about how well it performs.
post #98 of 259 Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well the Optoma hd33 is about the only 1080p 3D one that is near $1000 (a few hundred over that).
Other than that the Optoma gt750 or Benq w710st (the Benq requires some third party stuff, the Optoma comes with more by default).

There is also a new Benq w1070 coming soon that might be under $1000 (not sure).

post #99 of 259 Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks Coderguy! What is your opinion of the Vivitek and Pyle 3D projectors?
post #100 of 259 Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've only seen 2 Vivitek Projectors, I don't know their models and it wasn't in a proper environment.

post #101 of 259 Old 11-11-2012, 08:08 AM

I've had the Vivitek D538W since June, and so far its been really good considering the price. At first I didn't like it because I could see lots of rainbow, but after a while it went away or I just got use to it, and when I watch 3D content, the image looks its best. And definetly can't see any rainbow.

I just wish it was a little brighter for 3D, I'm always playing with the settings to try and eek out more brightness without making the image look bad. And you will have to play with your settings, otherwise the image looks utterly awful out of the box.

All in all, pretty good, but I highly recommend waiting for some cheap 1080p 3d projector to arrive.
post #102 of 259 Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
coderguy

Did you ever get a chance to test out an Optoma HD33/3300, and if so, wondering what your thoughts and or results were compared to other projectors you have hands on experience with?
post #103 of 259 Old 11-11-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Barely, because I went to place that didn't have 3D setup to be useable. To be honest, I really couldn't tell much, I did walk up to the screen and the focus isn't bad and the projector looks sharp from seating distance. A slight uniformity error on the edges, but not that much different than the Mits hc4000 (although the Mits focused slightly tighter in the center from memory, but had about the same uniformity error, now that is a quick eye is all). Everything looked good and DLP'ish like it should look.

Based on other opinions in the forum, I think it is a very good 3D projector, but it doesn't have quite as much 3D lumens as some of the newer ones do.

Keep in mind there are places to go in most cities you can see projectors yourself, some even at major DEPT. stores, Magnolia, Fry's (some Fry's are hard and you have to be pro-active), etc... For instance Audio Video Interiors has multiple location spread around and if you call one (or even email), they can sometimes coordinate something in a particular area or near a city (even if they do not have a showroom), OR they often know the showrooms in their respective areas, or will have someone contact you. There are also places like StarPower in Dallas and others. You can also post a thread in the forums asking other members where the showrooms are in your city. Even AVS has some people that are willing to show you projectors if you are nearby where they can display one, and calling someone at AVS might give you some ideas where some other showrooms are. I think there is a thread in this forum somewhere that lists some of them, but I believe it is far outdated.

post #104 of 259 Old 11-11-2012, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You should have accepted my offer to come test out my HD3300 when you were in Dallas. I could have let you see it perform both 2&3d. I did go out looking at the projector technology a year ago and l saw in the 1500.00 area several epsons, benq and LG. The W6000 was the only dip projector that i was able to demo and definatly had the most pleasing image as far as sharpness and color as well as contrast in the price range I was looking at.

The optima only lacks in sharpness to the 6000 and that is by a very minimal amount. and of course the W6000 was not 3D capable.

It is a shame that projectors are not as readily available to demo all the different manufactures and models. Makes the decision process rather difficult and I often do not agree with a lot of people's recommendations on what looks good or correct. I really cannot see how any one could like the epson 8350, it was the projector that I cared for the least of everything I saw and I saw it at 2 different locations. Granted I have not gone out to demo projectors in the last year since I have been very happy with my HD3300 and probably hold onto it until 4k projectors come out at reasonable prices.
post #105 of 259 Old 11-11-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will be back in Dallas in about 2-6 months.
I agree the Optoma hd33/hd3300 is a nice unit and looked sharper than I expected. I'll PM you if I am ever back in Dallas and you want to have a little mini-HT session. Sharpness looked about the same as the hc4000, and it was definitely sharper than most in its price range and looked great in VIDEO.

The Optoma is becoming the forgotten projector lately with these newer models coming out, but it's still a good buy at the right price.

post #106 of 259 Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I will be back in Dallas in about 2-6 months.
I agree the Optoma hd33/hd3300 is a nice unit and looked sharper than I expected. I'll PM you if I am ever back in Dallas and you want to have a little mini-HT session. Sharpness looked about the same as the hc4000, and it was definitely sharper than most in its price range and looked great in VIDEO.
The Optoma is becoming the forgotten projector lately with these newer models coming out, but it's still a good buy at the right price.

coderguy hello which one is sharper (image sharpness) sony hw50es or epson 5020/6020 kind regards
post #107 of 259 Old 12-28-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Depends on convergence luck, the Epson has a better lens, so if you get one with good convergence it will be sharper than the Sony.

post #108 of 259 Old 12-29-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:

Depends on convergence luck, the Epson has a better lens, so if you get one with good convergence it will be sharper than the Sony.

what about the RC with on at sony? again sharper than sony?
post #109 of 259 Old 12-29-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

People are liking RC, I've never seen it myself. I wouldn't make your decision based on sharpness so much anymore, but on other attributes (brightness, pixel fill, etc...).
Keep in mind the Epson isn't as film-like as the Sony or JVC's, the Sony is the best 2D/3D combo projector according to what most claim.

post #110 of 259 Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:

People are liking RC, I've never seen it myself. I wouldn't make your decision based on sharpness so much anymore, but on other attributes (brightness, pixel fill, etc...).
Keep in mind the Epson isn't as film-like as the Sony or JVC's, the Sony is the best 2D/3D combo projector according to what most claim.

I dont understand that film-like , does it mean epson look more unnatural? maybe my english is not perfect, i heard that word always: film-like. what does it mean exactly?
post #111 of 259 Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pretty much, although the difference is very subtle compared to the old days. Film-like look does mean a more natural looking picture, less digital.

post #112 of 259 Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Pretty much, although the difference is very subtle compared to the old days. Film-like look does mean a more natural looking picture, less digital.

thank you my friend i wish you a happy new year
post #113 of 259 Old 12-31-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Lcos definitely looks more analog than lcd or dlp. Lcd looks a bit flat compared to either technology. I'd say DLP resembles plasma.
post #114 of 259 Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 AM

Liked: 36
hey just found this thread very nice.. im in the process of building a ht room and thinking about what to get for display..

i have never seen dlp at a home.. my room size would be about 20 x 12.5 x 7..

would the benq7000 be a good choice to do sports movies more 2d than 3d.. hockey football baseball movies..

what are the chances of seeing the puck on a slap shoot from the point with dlp?

what size screen and what type of screen would be a good choice for this room.. one door one small window on back wall. no waf needed LOL.. 7.2 system ...

thanks for any tips..

cheers..
post #115 of 259 Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Benq is about as good or better than any of them in bright scenes, but the black levels are not that good for movies. Only you can know if this would bother you, depends if your main excitement from a projector is space scenes and SCI FI type stuff. Though with some IRIS tweaking, it's not that bad and can compete fine against any of the other sub-2k DLP's for black levels.

If you are a heavy HTPC user and do lots of gaming, and sports, and what not, the Benq is a pretty good choice.

post #116 of 259 Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Benq is about as good or better than any of them in bright scenes, but the black levels are not that good for movies. Only you can know if this would bother you, depends if your main excitement from a projector is space scenes and SCI FI type stuff. Though with some IRIS tweaking, it's not that bad and can compete fine against any of the other sub-2k DLP's for black levels.

If you are a heavy HTPC user and do lots of gaming, and sports, and what not, the Benq is a pretty good choice.

thanks for the reply Coderguy... im up in Canada.. the future shop (best buy) sells the benq w7000 for 1899 reg price.. they dont really have any more expensive models there..

would it be worth it to spend more for better blacks? i guess for sports not alot of blacks to see.. just movies.. so the 2 d picture is very good as well?

would the pic quality be close to good plasma tv?

would a fix screen be a good idea nice and flat.. the FS store has 99 upto 1400 for screens... would 108 inch screen be good in my 20 x 12.5 room? and how is that 108 measured..?

is it diagnol or horizontal...

thanks
post #117 of 259 Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If your room is mostly blackened and you get HIGH ANSI contrast, the Benq will look very comparable to a PLASMA in bright scenes only, but depends on how well the room is treated for reflections. The Benq cannot keep up with a Plasma for black levels, the JVC gets the closest. I'm not sure how to answer all that, but to say the immersion and larger image makes up for it not quite being Plasma quality.

post #118 of 259 Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:

If your room is mostly blackened and you get HIGH ANSI contrast, the Benq will look very comparable to a PLASMA in bright scenes only, but depends on how well the room is treated for reflections. The Benq cannot keep up with a Plasma for black levels, the JVC gets the closest. I'm not sure how to answer all that, but to say the immersion and larger image makes up for it not quite being Plasma quality.

so your saying size does matter eh!!!!

awesome game today i had five on lewis and his men...

need to blacken the room with flat black paint... what is hgh ansi contrast.. is that built into the dlp like the benq 7000.? what shape of screen do you need for the dlp.. i see they sell
different ratio shapes ... what is best? for movies and sports..?

how is screen sized measured ? what size would you get for a 12.5 x20 room ? do you have a fixed screen or pull down or motorized? i got a feeling fixed would be best?

thanks
post #119 of 259 Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:

hi Coder

was playing on the links you have.. 106 screen work just work for me.. so the sony would be best?

like to get a red laser sounds really cool when will in come out for 5 gs

your links open a ton of questions for me..

cheers
post #120 of 259 Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sony hw50 is the most balanced projector, I think for someone buying a first unit is the best, or one of the best.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Jvc Dla Rs48 D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page