Coderguy's Top Projector Picks - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 259 Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Right, Zombie's thread is good to read, I tell everyone to go read that thread if it is in their price range. Some of the data here came from that thread (though not the majority of it, as I tested many of these units myself). Mostly from his thread I took info about the Sony's and Sharp, and the hc8000.

I am basically giving a summarized explanation of a mix between units I've tested and units Zombie tested, but Zombie does in some cases give a much more detailed explanation. That said, I think the summary is good too because it gives new people that don't have time to read pages and pages of technical info a quick CLIFF NOTES look at some of the findings in the forum, as well as some of my own.

Most of the sub-$2k findings and JVC, Benq, Mits, are my own tests, and yes I did see the Benq w1070, but didn't get to A/B it here. I did do an interesting comparison on the w7000 and JVC is you catch that thread as well in the summary report. I also got to play with the Optoma hd33 in 2D only. I A/B'd a JVC RS-45 and RS-55 the other day as well. Mainly I need to go grab a Sony, I found one but it wasn't hooked it up right, I'm going to go back and see if they fixed it eventually.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 259 Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also A/B'd the 5010 vs. the RS-45 and the Benq w7000 not that long ago, and I got a pretty good look at the w1070 recently.

I just don't have as much time to post "pretty movie" images and I have a pretty lame camera - $100 canon.Anyhow, the more opinions the merrier... One thing I will say is that these cheap DLP's are very competitive against more expensive projectors until you hit dark scenes.

BTW, on the w1070, the focus uniformity was not as good as the Benq w7000, but close enough, only a notch different. I originally planned to post a review of the w1070 in 2 weeks, because I am supposed to get another / longer chance to see it and go watch a movie on it. That said, I am so busy with this calculator, I might not have time.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #183 of 259 Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 233
The major benefit of the shootout threads is the length of time spent with the projectors in the same exact environment which is the only way to do a true comparison. Too many reviews are 'hit and run' where important details are sometimes overlooked.

There's a lot more info than just 'pretty pictures', the shootout thread was one of the first to post gaming lag frame rates in a consistent manner, direct 3D comparison showing the crosstalk performance of the various models and detailed color calibration results including 3D calibrations through the glasses which was a little discussed topic. There's also tons of valuable information from owners of the models being discussed.

Both threads last year and this have nearly 600k views. It would have been a lot easier to do a summary thread.

Sharp 30k > BQ W7000 & 1070 for overall PQ. I got used to the W7000's weak native contrast until I saw the Sharp 30K. It's a shame the mid-range DLP market is gone. HC8000 was not as impressive as it should have been for the advertised features.
post #184 of 259 Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your reviews are great, I am not trying to push your buttons. I wasn't trying to degrade your reviews, however, I also do not do hit and runs.

BUT, this thread serves its own purpose, it talks about many projectors and sub $3000 projectors that are not in your reviews, that I owned and tested, as well as summarizes in a different wording for people in the sub-3k threads. That is why this is in the sub-3k thread. There is valuable info in here with a slightly different take. I don't think people want me to post a bunch of calibration graphs in here, that is not the "target clientele" of this thread. i have a different viewpoint from some of this as you did, just slightly. Like as much as I appreciate the 3D on the Epson 5010/5020, I did notice the ghosting gets much worse as the lamp ages, I pointed that out before.

I did not do hit and runs on the projectors I discuss, and these viewpoints do not come from one source (they are summarized). That is why you don't see me writing a review of the Runco LS-5 or the Mits hc9000, I did see them in a hit and run...

I have over 50 hours on the Epson 5010, many more HOURS on the others (50+ on the Panny 7000, 3000+ on the Viewsonic, 1500+ on JVC's, 500+ on the Benq w7000, 1000+ on Mitsubishi hc4000, etc... etc...). I am just not as vocal about the testing experience anymore. Instead of spending my time where it matters (like on the PJ calculator), I could be wasting my time on graphs when you've already done that work, but I choose not to. Though I agree your reviews are more detailed, I do not have that kind of time on my hands at the moment, I have done reviews like that on some projectors. If I did do it, it would be a repeat of data that already exists.

Like I said though, this review does borrow some from you obviously, but not as much as you think, I do get around myself smile.gif

post #185 of 259 Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is an updated list of projectors seen and tested (most of these 5+ hours of testing, only a couple hit and runs which I always disclose)

JVC HD250/RS10/HD350, RS-20, RS-45 (own), RS-55 (A/B'd), RS-46 (did not get to test E-shift 2 yet on RS48+)
Epson 8350 and 8500ub/8700ub/5010 (A/B'd)
(seen 5020 but it really is not enough difference from the 5010 IMHO to justify a review, it's the same internals almost exactly, some updated features in menu, slightly modified lamp)
Panny 4000, Panny 7000 (could have A/B'd, didn't need to)
Viewsonic Pro8200 (A/B'd)
Benq w710st
Benq w7000 (A/B'd)
Benq w1200 (A/B'd against Epson 8700ub only)
Benq w1070
Optoma GT750
Mitsubishi hc4000 (A/B'd against almost all)
Mitsubishi hc3800
Sony Commercial 4k (went back and forth in the same cinema between different movies)
Mitsubishi hc9000d (yes at a dealer, but it was setup ok in an A/B where a JVC RS-46 was)
Runco LS-5 (was hard to tell on dealer content, but interesting PJ, not setup in A/B setup unfortunately)
Optoma hd33 (very briefly 2D only)
Sanyo z5/z3000/z4000
Sony vw70

I know I am forgetting a bunch, but that is where I am coming from....

Keep in mind that although I didn't test EVERY single one in my own room, I am just as familiar with my friend's home theater room as my own. So when I test them in his room, it is just as good as my own. He often gets some of these projectors in for various reasons. He has the w1070 right now because it is going to be used in a conference room as a business projector, so I can actually bring it home with me if I want, but I need to spend time on the calculator instead of testing projectors right now (sorry folks).

post #186 of 259 Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The SH940 is an updated version of the SP890 which was designed mainly for classroom or conference room use. This model has no 3D and the high lumen output is guaranteed to have weak contrast, similar to the BQ W7000.

it's also going to be loud 36/33 DB in high/low lamp.

a number of the projectors in this thread have been reviewed with direct A/B comparison's in the mini-shootout thread. We just added the Sharp 30k which is an excellent all-around pick at the current under 2k price. they are disappearing quick.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434826/sony-hw50-benq-w7000-epson-5020-jvc-rs55-jvc-rs-46-jvc-rs4810-jvc-rs56-mini-shootout-2012-2013

thanks Zombie..
post #187 of 259 Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 AM

Liked: 11
Hey codergy, which projector is the closest to the Sony 4k Commercial projector and would you say the Sony 4k Commercial projector is the best you've seen?

I love how analog or natural looking and sharp that projector is.
post #188 of 259 Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From that list, the JVC RS-55 with E-Shift on is probably the closest, but I almost think the JVC's look a bit more artificial compared to the Sony 4k commercial. Overall though, I would look at the Sony vw1000es (never seen it myself), but I'm sure that is the one that is going to be closest since it has similar optics and is 4k, but it costs BIG bucks. We should have some projectors out in a year or two that are more affordable with 4k that might be interesting to compare to the Sony 4k commercial projector. As good as the Sony 4k commercial projectors are, the contrast isn't that great because commercial projectors have to open the light path up to get those high lumens, but they do have a very analog picture.

post #189 of 259 Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback on this thread. I ended up getting the Viewsonic Pro8200 that I was able to pick up 'nearly new' & I REALLY like it!
It throws a great picture, and is definitely brighter than my old Sharp. It's nice to leave the light on for TV and still have a vibrant image!

Thanks for the help!
post #190 of 259 Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Hey coderguy, your recommendations seem pertinent to my current situation in this post. From reading your post, it sounds like the JVCs are best for my priorities. My question to you is how much of an upgrade do you think those JVC projectors would be over an Optoma HD20? From reading this thread, it looks like you don't have any experience with that particular projector, but from what I have read the 2d on the Optoma HD33 is very similar so can you extrapolate based on the HD33? I realize there is a subjective aspect to this, but even your subjective judgement would be helpful here.
post #191 of 259 Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 AM

How about Acer H9500BD... not even in the list of any?
post #192 of 259 Old 06-10-2013, 01:42 AM

I need to replace my long in tooth Optoma H79. Going in a 12x12 fairly light controlled room on a 96" (possibly 100" screen). I can get a refurbished LG CF181D for $700 and have someone selling a HD350 for $900. He doesn't want to bargain, but I know he paid $1100 for it at BB, and I fear the pink band since it has less than 500hrs on it. Have been wracking my brain for the past few days. Was also looking at the 8500ub and 8350.

Don't care about gaming or 3D. 50% movies, 30% TV and 20% sports under 500hrs a year. Thinking the LG will give me the best bang for the buck and keep me going on my other more pertinent house projects. This is an unplanned purchase. Could go up to $1200-1300 if need be. The RS40 at $1800 would be my ideal, but that's a tough nut to swallow right now with a new front porch and a lot of drywall work going on. Any direction to help me narrow this is appreciated.

Edit.... Think I'm narrowing it down to three.

LG CF181D: Refurb $700
JVC HD350: Used $900-1100
Sony VW60: Used $1200

Had some chime in that the HD350 would be a strong buy. That pink stripe down the side worries me. I have to make a decision in a day or so or the two used options will be gone. I'm sure I'll be wracking my brain tonight to finalize as well as second guessing no matter which one I choose. I've had an easier time buying a car, eyeglasses and jeans. Even my speakers and receiver were easier decisions.
post #193 of 259 Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 AM

Hey Coderguy, thanks for the thread! I just sold my Pro8200 and right now I'm split with W1070 or the Optoma HD25, with some sites saying the Optoma is Better and most of them calling a draw (also, Art's review of the HD25LV put it much better in black levels vs W1080), have you seen the HD25?

Also, I can buy a Panasonic AR7000 for about 600 more so I wonder if it's worth the extra cash in picture quality (I want 1:1 pixel mapping, good blacks for movie watching and low lag for 1080p gaming, and 3D)
post #194 of 259 Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nope, never seen the HD25, but Seegs (Another projector veteran) is about to set his up and will have some thoughts. Though he never owned the w1070, I think he did see the w7000 which is quite similar.

The Panny 7000 would be ok if you get it at the right price, but it is a luck of the draw kind of thing (some are worse than others). To really get better blacks and a better image, you have to either buy a refurb / b-stock JVC or Epson, neither of which have particularly low lag, or just pay over $2000 unfortunately. Most of these projectors under $2000 are fairly similar in black levels.

Honestly, I think the gaming lag thing is overblown, because most people if playing FPS competitively would do better on a small screen anyways, and these days you can get 24"+ LCD monitors dirt cheap. So I would just do the FPS on a monitor and the other games on the projector if it concerns you (though I know this is personal preference).

Actually, the lowest cost projector with ok blacks I know of is the Acer 9500bd, but the IRIS is said to be bouncy and may irritate you more than it helps. However, it is the black level champ under $1300.

post #195 of 259 Old 07-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by civlcivl388a View Post

Hey Coderguy, thanks for the thread! I just sold my Pro8200 and right now I'm split with W1070 or the Optoma HD25, with some sites saying the Optoma is Better and most of them calling a draw (also, Art's review of the HD25LV put it much better in black levels vs W1080), have you seen the HD25?

Also, I can buy a Panasonic AR7000 for about 600 more so I wonder if it's worth the extra cash in picture quality (I want 1:1 pixel mapping, good blacks for movie watching and low lag for 1080p gaming, and 3D)

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and trying to decide between the 1070 vs HD25. I pretty much have the same exact requirements as you though. I had not thought of 1:1 pixel mapping but sounds like something I should consider as well.
post #196 of 259 Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just bought the AE8000, then see no love for it here. Came down between the 5020 and the 8000, had to go with power zoom and lens memory. everything else I'd seen says picture quality is a coin flip.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #197 of 259 Old 07-18-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Just bought the AE8000, then see no love for it here. Came down between the 5020 and the 8000, had to go with power zoom and lens memory. everything else I'd seen says picture quality is a coin flip.

Pay no attention. When it fits like a Glove, it's a perfect fit. You need the features? It's there for you. And as far as image quality, as someone who has pretty much seen / installed every popular PJ between $800.00 and $4000.00,be it LCD...DLP...LyCos, the 8000's Image quality out to 150" diagonal in 2.35:1 is "Heads...you win". Especially if you bother to add on a Darbee. It goes up over the top....or leastwise is good enough to easily compete with the upper end of the JVC line.

Remember too, the screen can and will add greatly to the equation. wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #198 of 259 Old 07-18-2013, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I have been reading more about the AE7000 and it seems it's not a particularly sharp projector. Black levels seem good though. 3D is worse than either of the DLP's and Frame Interpolation is a non feature to me.

Yeah, definetely the main use will be for gaming (preferrably in 3D using 3DTV Play), after gaming on the Pro8200 it would be hard to go back to a smaller display (I have a 50 inch 2012 Panny plasma with 24ms lag and now it seems smallnow ). Although I mainly play single player games ,not competitive or anything, I think the 70-100ms of the Epsons and JVCs definetely rules them out at least for me. Guess my sweet spot would be the Sony HW50 but it's (for now) out of my price range.

And I had considered both Acer 9500 and Benq W7000 but they both exhibit the same pixel mapping error as the VS Pro 8200 so it rules them out (I know the error was fixed later, at least on the W7000, but I will be importing the projector from the USA so don't wanna get a unit with the error still)

So it's back to HD25 vs W1070 I guess, as both are the same price and offer similar features. I'm just confused about the gamma of opinions about which is better than the other.
post #199 of 259 Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The ae7000u can be fairly sharp actually if you get very lucky on convergence, the problem is IMO that smoothscreen degrades exponentially with convergence error. I think that is why some HATE IT and some LOVE IT, even for gaming. I haven't seen all that many Panny 7000's (2 or 3 I believe), but I do recall one being a LOT sharper than another, hence SMOOTH SCREEN is affected by convergence unfortunately, so the Panny needs better convergence than the average projector so that Smooth Screen does not interact with the poor convergence (for lack of a better explanation).

The w1070 is better in 2D than the HD25 slightly, but the HD25 has better 3D...
Also, the w1070 is slightly easier to setup because it has some Vertical Lens Shift (though not all that much), but the HD25 has none I believe.

See what SEEGS says, he will post soon (by next week), and he has seen bunches of projectors and can give you a good idea on where the HD25 stands sharpness wise and on blacks.

post #200 of 259 Old 08-11-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Will soon be in the market for a new projector. I've been using a Mits HC4000 for a few years now and am very happy with it overall.

What I want from the new one:
  • Can't be a downgrade in any aspect from the Mits.
  • Want better blacks.
  • Want more brightness in calibrated/cinema/low lamp mode.
  • Need lens shift and enough zoom for zoom method CIH.
  • Would really prefer motorized controls for the above but not necessarily a dealbreaker if they're manual (I've been not only manually adjusting zoom and focus on the Mits for CIH for years, but physically moving it between two shelves to make up for the lack of lens shift every time I switch between 2.35 and 16:9).

Screen will likely be at most 114" x 48" 2.35. Throw will likely be between 13' and 14'.

Couldn't care less about 3D. I do use the projector a lot for gaming but not sure how I'd be affected by lag. I've gamed on a JVC RS35 and noticed no difference compared to the Mits or my plasma.

I'm not opposed to dynamic irises in principle, but if I can see or hear it operating, no thanks.

Would like to keep it under $2000 if possible.
brtnelson likes this.
post #201 of 259 Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your sound like a perfect JVC refurb / B-STOCK candidate with those requests.

Refurbished JVC RS-45 / x30 on JVC's Ebay Projector Store for $1725. It comes with a 2-year MFR warranty.
Though it is often out of stock, also give AVS a call and see if they have any JVC refurbs.

Otherwise you could wait a bit and look for a refurb or used JVC RS-46. The RS-46 is easier to calibrate and starts out with better color, as well as it has more robust lamps. I just don't think you will find any RS-46's, but who knows. The RS-45 is also referred to as the X30, the RS-46 is also referred to as the X-35.

I think coming from a DLP. you'll be happier with a JVC LCOS than an Epson LCD. Other than that, there isn't much out there in the DLP world that can beat the MIts hc4000 in contrast, especially in the under $2000 realm.

There is the Sharp xvz-30000, but these are almost impossible to find these days for a decent price.

post #202 of 259 Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I can never quite figure out JVC's model number hierarchy. How does the RS45 compare to the RS35? Or to the HD250? Haven't there been issues with the 3D JVCs? I haven't really been keeping up since I haven't been in the market and have been happy with the HC4000, so I've got plenty of research to do soon. Being able to calibrate the color and greyscale is pretty important to me.

How would an Epson 5010/20 compare to a JVC? My only experience with an LCD was the Mits HC4900 which had godawful blacks that made me return it promptly. Also, I checked out your projector calculator and you have wildly different brightness for the 5010 vs the 3010, but from what I've read they should be very similar.

Thanks for your suggestions. One thing I should mention is that I have a friend who is an installer so I may be able to get a price break as well.
post #203 of 259 Old 08-12-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The RS-45 is very similar to the RS-35, in some cases they would look almost identical from viewing distance.

The 3010 in its calibrated mode is way way brighter than the 5010/5020 unless you count the 5010's dynamic mode, but I do not think you would be happy with the Epson 3010/3020 anyhow coming from the Mits. The Epson blacks are good but I doubt you'd like the IRIS that much, you might end up turning it off (not sure, some like it).

I would probably avoid LCD coming from a DLP. One of the JVC's really is your best bet, the JVC is sharper than the Epson and the JVC pretty much wins the sharpness battle against any sub-$2000 projector, even against most DLP's.

post #204 of 259 Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I certainly wouldn't mind a JVC. I've mentioned before in the Mits thread that every year I usually housesit for a week at my installer friend's house and take advantage of his RS35 in his dedicated theater. I wouldn't say it was worth 6-7x the cost of the HC4000 by any means, but it's certainly a significant improvement -- not just in black level but even imo in sharpness -- and with the new models achieving performance that isn't far off at much lower prices...

I had thought with the hand-picked nature of the RS35 that there was a pretty huge difference in contrast compared to the regular stock?
post #205 of 259 Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Actually, the lowest cost projector with ok blacks I know of is the Acer 9500bd, but the IRIS is said to be bouncy and may irritate you more than it helps. However, it is the black level champ under $1300.
I have an install option to place the PJ inside a partitioned projection area, shooting through a window.

With this setup (mitigating fan noise and iris activity) and a $1300 budget, which would you go with: Acer 9500 or BenQ 1070? (The throw is too short for the HD25, and I'm also thinking about the W1500 for the FI if it drops a little.)
post #206 of 259 Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 AM

I've been agonizing over finding an upgrade from my Mitsubishi HD1000u. This is the only projector I've ever owned and after 5+ years of using it I have no real complaints - it has been a great projector.

My other display device is a 50" Kuro, so that is my baseline for good PQ/color/blacks/etc.
  • I'm ceiling mounting, with a 96" screen, in a dark basement. I'd prefer to not have to re-do my ceiling mount (popcorn ceiling) so the projector will be about 13' from the screen.
  • I have two rows of seating, and the front row is fairly close to the screen, at around 6-8'. 2nd row is more like 12-14'.
  • My use is 75% movies and TV (Game of Thrones and other fairly HQ TV), and 25% Xbox 360 and Wii U.
  • I do NOT plan to use 3d at all -- I can't comfortably wear 3d glasses over my prescription glasses + don't get a very strong 3d effect without eventually getting a headache. 3d is therefore totally irrelevant to me and I'll just sell any glasses that come with a projector.
  • I'm in Canada, and looking to spend well under $3000 CAD.

I can get an Epson 5020 for around $2400 CAD and at this point it's my first choice. Overall PQ seems to be pretty good and is highly recommended for 2D here. Anything else worth considering or any 'gotchas'? I've been researching for a few weeks and most other tempting projectors like the JVC X35 and Sony HW50ES are too expensive.
post #207 of 259 Old 09-24-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettmoore View Post

I've been agonizing over finding an upgrade from my Mitsubishi HD1000u. This is the only projector I've ever owned and after 5+ years of using it I have no real complaints - it has been a great projector.

I have an HC3000 which I had been using for many years on a small screen and a small sections of a large screen. I wanted something with lens shift so I could use all of my 110" HP screen. I bought a Sharp Z30. I had to sell it for reasons unrelated to the projector itself shortly after buying it, but I have to tell you, it was not a real big upgrade picture wise. I eventually bought a used Planar PD8150 (2008-2010 vintage high end) for under $2500 and it is far better than the Sharp was and from what other have said, better than most new stuff under $5000. If you are going to rework the rest of your room and get a bigger screen I would say upgrade your projector. HOWEVER, if you are going to keep your current screen, just put a new OEM lamp in your projector enjoy it, the fresh lamp will be like an upgrade. If you really want to replace the HD1000 and do not want 3D, look at the high end used market Planar, Marantz and JVC rather than the new stuff under $3000. Just something to think about.
post #208 of 259 Old 09-25-2013, 01:11 AM

Good morning,

Decisions, decisions :-) After reading numerous threads and advices (including - partially - the monster shootout thread initiated by Zombie10k), I'm still no better off with regards to a choice of a replacement projector.

So back to basics, and I would appreciate some recommendation

I currently own an Optoma HD80 (very unprofessionally calibrated using HDVDE BD disk), which has given me ample satisfactions over the last few years (about 6). While I watch regularly movies, given family constraint I am only at 600 hours of lamp life.

There are two reasons I'm looking for a replacement:

- I moved, and my new configuration impose a much shorter throw (about 3.5m distance, projected on a 2.2m base screen)
- I'm a big fan of 3D...

I don't do any gaming on the projector at all

So I'm looking at:
- a replacement projector that will have a similar PQ to the Optoma HD80 (since this is my baseline)
- has a bright lumens output for 3D
- allow for a shorter throw distance than the HD80

and... that's about it

Budget wise, I'm hesitating between two approaches:

- Go cheap (provided the PQ is equivalent to the HD80), just to get 3D. Tradeoffs are acceptable for 3D, since even though I like 3D, there is not that many content available
- Make a jump to a higher grade projector (not above 2400 euros), provided the difference is significant, AND I don't have any significant tradeoff on 3D (since in that case it's a longer term investment)

For option 1/, based on the various opinions, I would lean toward the HD25e/LV or the BenQ W1070
For option 2/, I could not really find one that fits the bill. They all have some level of tradeoff. The Sony HW-50ES was extremely attractive (especially since there is a deal in my country right now), but brightness in 3D seem to be lacking on the long run

Any opinion would be welcome, especially relative to older HD80. Technology has improved so much that I'm wondering whether this projector which was more than 2000 euros 5 years ago is now matched with sub 1000 euros models.

Regards

Vincent
post #209 of 259 Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

HOWEVER, if you are going to keep your current screen, just put a new OEM lamp in your projector enjoy it, the fresh lamp will be like an upgrade.

I'm sure a new lamp would be a nice bump in brightness but I'd rather not spend $200 on a 5+ year old projector. I would rather put that money towards an upgrade to a more serious projector.

That said, still looking for any further feedback on going from 720p DLP -> to something from this generation, like the 5020.

edit: I forgot to address your point about used projectors. In my area there is nothing available locally and shipping from America isn't very practical so I would prefer to avoid the used route for this sort of thing.
post #210 of 259 Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Nguyen View Post

Good morning,

Decisions, decisions :-) After reading numerous threads and advices (including - partially - the monster shootout thread initiated by Zombie10k), I'm still no better off with regards to a choice of a replacement projector.

So back to basics, and I would appreciate some recommendation

I currently own an Optoma HD80 (very unprofessionally calibrated using HDVDE BD disk), which has given me ample satisfactions over the last few years (about 6). While I watch regularly movies, given family constraint I am only at 600 hours of lamp life.

There are two reasons I'm looking for a replacement:

Vincent

The Sharp xvz-3000 is the best 3D projector we know of under $4000. it is much better than the Sony at 3d, and the Sharp does pretty good 2D as well. They are hard to find though, but if you can find one...

The Benq w1070 won't hold a candle to the Sharp, other than the Benq being a tad bit brighter in 3D (though not that much), and the w1070 being a lot brighter in 2D.

Other than that, for the cheaper options I might suggest buying the Optoma hd131xe from a place that allows returns, try it out as it should have better 3D than the Benq since it has RF instead of DLP Link. You will need a high gain screen to get the best out of 3d brightness on most medium to larger sized screens (120"+).

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Jvc Dla Rs48 D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page