EPSON 8350 Issue with projector, please help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I noticed something yesterday on my less than week old 8350 and I don't know if this is normal or not. I searched the web and couldn't find anything and its hard to explain so I took a video of it with my cell.

How to describe it...it's like heat waves moving in an upward direction and visible on the right side of the screen. It doesn't matter the source. Be it PS3 or Sat box. It's actually hard to see most of the time but if you watch the video and look VERY closely you will see it. At about 30 seconds in you can really see it well.

It's hard to see in this video but to the eye its very visible. Now that I have noticed it I really see it all the time and its driving me crazy. During dark scenes its almost impossible to see but during bright scenes it stands out. It's like heat is blowing across the optics or something.

If anyone can help me figure this out I'd be totally grateful. At about 30 seconds you can really see it well.

Link to video:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
LOL! You are joking , right?

I did watch your video. It's paused on one image that looks really weird. Video just menu screen or windows 7 google news page and then we can look for wavy lines or heat lines. But guy you got to be joking, the video you have seems like some freeze frame from some explosion either from video game or movie.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is your hot air exhaust vent near the lens ?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

Is your hot air exhaust vent near the lens ?

Either the exhaust from the projector or from your home heating system perhaps? Get some cardboard and rig it up to deflect any exhaust air completely away from the light path between the lens and screen. You probably can't leave the cardboard there long-term but at least you might be able to isolate the root cause.

Alternately, is there a heat vent below the screen, or perhaps a piece of equipment that is generating a lot of heat?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I know its not the best image but I have taken a few videos with different images on screen and none of them come out any better. The image has to be paused or you might not notice it. In this video it is clear to see though. Once you notice it anyway. I will try to make a better video. I'll grab my HD video camera out.

I already tried using a deflector for the heat vent and it didn't change anything. There are no house vents anywhere near the projector.

IMO it is something from inside the projector. Maybe something is wrong with the fan and its causing this. I don't know. It's really too bad though considering this projector has an awesome picture and convergence is perfect.

Epson want to send me a new replacement but I had hoped someone would have seen this before and provide an easy fix.

Thanks for taking the time to look though.

I admit that the video is poor and if you don't know what to look for you might not see anything at all. I see it immediately but then again I've been looking at it a ton. I will make a better video tonight after work with a better cam.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

ok, here is what you do. hook up a laptop or pc to the 8350. start up windows 7.
Then put up some white or colored screen saver or blank page.
Don't pause anything .
You say it happens all the time. You can also have webpage up, maybe google news or something like that. It's a static page. We can try to look for what you are talking about.

or even a test pattern. look for one.

It could be cable noise. Try a different hdmi cable or vga cable. We are trouble-shooting so trying different things to narrow it down.

Also, you should put at thread title: EPSON 8350 Issue with projector, please help?

You have a very popular projector, that should get tons of people helping you out. But "issue with projector" sounds very vague.

One other suggestion, put that exact picture "freeze framed on 42 inch or bigger HDTV and see if you see the wavy lines. It could be in pause, slight shake is normal with that image or video. That would be way to test if it's the movie encoding or just your projector. Sometimes I thought I noticed something wrong with my projector. Then put same movie on hdtv and it did the same thing.

It could be something wrong with projector too, and it's only one week old. But you are doing the right thing to trouble shoot it and asking others if they notice the same thing on "movie that is paused after 30 seconds".
post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

I have a HTPC so I will do what you suggest. Its very visible even when not paused but like you said the image needs to be static or its harder to see due to the picture constantly changing.

I will change the title but I did have this in the 8350 official thread. no one responded so I deleted it and made a more general thread title to get anyone in the thread with projector experience. Who knows...maybe someone with a JVC experienced this before...know what I mean?

I have tried different sources (not my htpc yet though) and running games, movies tv shows, no matter what i do that heat effect is always there and always moving. Paused, unpaused, different HDMI cables etc...

When I get home I will do as you suggest.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-04-2012, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

I feel like such a dumb ass right now. I turned on the projector a while ago and noticed that the heat wave effect was on the left side of the screen now and the right side was perfectly normal.

After about 20 minutes I looked down at my electric heater that I moved towards the left side of the room earlier and realized that I didn't start having this problem at all until I placed the heater in my HT room.

My god I have been racking my brain for several days, video taping and just plain killing myself over this and it was my portable heater.

I never even thought to consider that. I'm such a projector noob lmao.

So carry on folks. Nothing to see here.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post

I feel like such a dumb ass right now. I turned on the projector a while ago and noticed that the heat wave effect was on the left side of the screen now and the right side was perfectly normal.

After about 20 minutes I looked down at my electric heater that I moved towards the left side of the room earlier and realized that I didn't start having this problem at all until I placed the heater in my HT room.

My god I have been racking my brain for several days, video taping and just plain killing myself over this and it was my portable heater.

I never even thought to consider that. I'm such a projector noob lmao.

So carry on folks. Nothing to see here.

Glad you figured it out. I could tell you were very frustrated about it, which I understand because you just got the projector. You just got another lesson in trouble-shooting. Check everything , change rooms, cables, screens, devices, settings, and now check for heater placement.
You are set for Superbowl Now, Enjoy your epson 8350, it's a really nice 1080p projector.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page