Triple Screen Gaming\Movie setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, so I'm starting my research to build my HT/gaming room for my basement. I have run into a bit of a dilemma however. I was originally just going to do a single projector with 7-11.1 sound and call it a day. Since then, I have seen videos of triple screens and would love it for racing sims and even FPS games. Not only that but also think 3d with triple screens would be awesome! I already have a pc powerful enough to run it. My issue is I still want a good performing movie projector, but no input lag and support nvidia 3d. I know, I want it all If you look at the projectors that work with NVidia 3d vision you will see how limited the quality of the selection is Now I understand all the reasons why the 3d can only be played at 720p@60. I'm fine with that. But I would like to have 1080p for all non-3d content. I'm baffled that I cannot find anything but the low end projectors that work with NVidia 3d vision, but I don't want to break the bank either. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

Also, I would like to make movies take advantage at the two extra screens.
I am thinking the only way to do this and preserve the aspect ratio would be to make all three screens 4:3 and stretch the movie out until it fits. So it would use about 50% of the two side screens. The only reason to do this is making a larger image, but adding resolution. In fact it could be near 1080p in that config. Maybe there is some software people are using to trim down movies to fit them in wider aspects without chopping them up too much?

So assuming I build it today, this seems like my best option:

3 of these guys http://www.amazon.com/Optomas-GT750E.../dp/B005G2HR6W

Now technically this optoma isn't supported by NVidia, but its older brother is(720). I'm pretty sure a driver hack will fix that issue. This projector also seems to have tested with 0 input lag, and the dlp makes ghosting a non-issue. So for gaming it's got what you want. It seems like it will be only ok for movies though. Only 720p max output and averge entry level pj pic quality.

So to wrap things up.
1. Am I crazy? Can I have the best of both worlds (3d gaming/movies)?
2. Are there any products coming out in the next year that will be a better choice?
3. Is spanning movies across multiple screens even a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great topic.

I also like to use my projector room for games and movies (all in one).

Multi displays/projectors setups work better for games (PC, or network-linked-triple-consoles) because each display will have it´s image rendered separately by the game engine.
The game engine will assume that each display is facing flat towards your viewpoint, and will render each image separately accordingly, to avoid distortion.
It´s like if you had 3 virtual cameras in-game, providing 3 separate viewing angles, one for each display/projector.

Now, with movies, it´s different.
Movies are filmed with only 1 camera = 1 viewing angle.
Even if movies are filmed using an anamorphic lens for a wider angle, it´s stil only one angle.

Modern home displays have 1.78:1 (or 16:9) aspect ratio.
Triple modern home displays, side by side, would be an aspect ratio of 5.33:1 (or 48:9)

If you span a 2.40:1 aspect ratio movie (filmed with only one camera, one angle) across multiple angled displays, you may have some perception distortion on the side displays.

The best solution would be for modern movies to be filmed with 3x synchronous cameras, so they could be projected on triple angled screens, each screen facing flat towards your viewpoint, covering 146 degrees of arc, close to the human field of vision, including peripheral vision.

Unfortunately, I think that the last time such method was used by full length movies was in the 1960s, with movies like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_the...Won_%28film%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinerama
post #3 of 10 Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 AM

Liked: 11
Hi -- here's my triple screen racing rig (will need to post a couple of posts as i am a newbie)
post #4 of 10 Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 AM

...and here's another post...
post #5 of 10 Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 AM

and finally this.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 AM

post #7 of 10 Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 PM

C3PO_1, thanks for sharing your videos
Congratulations on your awesome setup.
Is your whole seat actually really tilting front, back, sideways in real-time with the in-game g-force, or was it a trick with you videocam ?
It looks great.

By the way, this is the "Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP" sub-forum, and the original post of this thread mentioned triple projector setups, so it's best to keep the thread focuses on projectors, and not monitors/TVs.
The objective: to completely eliminate all bezels between the 3 screens, in order to have a seamless uninterrupted image across the 3 screens.

To all users with triple projectors setups, can you please share you pics, videos, etc ?
And also your experience and tips regarding light scattering avoidance between screens, screen materials used and specs, size, screen gain, etc

Cheers
post #8 of 10 Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 AM

I have a triple Pj setup running, but its not for movie watching, I keep the projection screen to a small size, about 34" each. I sit too close to make it any bigger. Link is in my signature.

Multi-Projector Edge-Blending & Geometry correction for games and simulations.
http://www.youtube.com/VanFS3K
post #9 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 05:02 AM

Hello,

In antecipation for Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) upcoming release in December 2013, I am currently testing my new gaming room, with Triple 93" screens, Triple Full HD 1080p projectors.
- on the left screen, using my old 2007 Epson 1080UB 2D Full HD 1080p projector
- on the middle screen, using my 2011 Panasonic AE7000 3D/2D Full HD 1080p projector
- on the right screen, using a refurbished Epson 8100 2D Full HD 1080p I recently bought

Apparently, PS4 games will run at Full HD 1080p, so these projectors will also be compatible with a PS4 setup.

Here are some sketches from the planning phase

The triple screens are in a half-hexagon shape, so if the viewer sits in the center of the hexagon, and everything is aligned, it is close to 180° surround display.

And some rough videos of PS3 Gran Turismo 5 (footage captured with a shaky Galaxy S3 phone)

Unfortunately, no budget to have/mantain/upgrade 3 identical projectors.

Next year, just for Ultra HD (4K) videos/movies via PS4, by Dec-2014 Jan-2015, I will use one Ultra HD (4K) projector in the middle screen, hopefully if their price drops to Under $3,000 USD MSRP by then.

Please also share pics, videos, of your current triple projectors setups smile.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 04-18-2014, 01:48 AM

Hello !!

Some new additions to the Triple 93" projection screens setup cool.gif

Recently installed on the Playseat Evolution:
- Thrustmaster T500RS wheel/pedals set
- TH8RS 7-speed manual shifter
- Playseat SeatSlider and Floor Mat

Old Logitech G25 set, owned since 2007, has been retired to a portable WheelStand Pro, for living room or multiplayer sessions.

It seems now that the price for an Ultra HD 4K projector (for PS4 videos/movies in the middle screen), will only drop to ~ $3,000 USD MSRP by Dec-2015 Jan-2016.

Please also share pics, videos, of your current triple projectors setups smile.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page