Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Walking Dead from AMC was good the first season, this current (second) season is a bore and I gave up on it.

The mid-season opener a week and a half ago was much better than the first half of season 2. Check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagojago View Post

The mid-season opener a week and a half ago was much better than the first half of season 2. Check it out.

While it is a bore, you can tell that the plot movement was due to budget restrictions (costs a lot to film in a city).

Either way, I can assure you that the way they tied up the first half of season 2 was as best as they could given their restrictions.

Just remember that the Walking Dead has always been about the psychology of the humans and not so much the zombies!
post #33 of 56 Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use about 4 hours of project time per week.

I had my Epson 8100 for about 1 year and 4 months and I only had 195 hours on the bulb.

I dont have time to watch movies except on weekend.

I dont even have cable or dish as I dont miss anything. I do watch 3 broadcast news every night on my computer and thats it.
post #34 of 56 Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM

Liked: 16
I have an eight year old NEC business projector and I baby it. Lamp hasn't failed yet!

post #35 of 56 Old 02-24-2012, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Around 2 to 4 hours a week. Movies only. Definitely baby my pj's. I've owned around 10 digital pj's and have not even come close to needing to buy a new bulb.

Used to use around 10-15 hours a week when I used it also for gaming. Got tired of playing games in the dark.
post #36 of 56 Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM
krs

Liked: 11
I run my 4-2011 purchased Mitsu HC6500 every night, all night from about 10until 4-6 a.m. And I run it on the 'standard' bulb setting rather than 'low". First bulb went 1910 hrs. Second one is young, maybe 200 hrs by now (I haven't looked at the counter yet).

So I guess I'm not babying it even though I surely do LOVE IT!
post #37 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 02:18 PM

New optoma hd20 owner here and I use it for tv/movie watching. Had it for a little over a week and I am at 65 lamp hours. Love it, although some of the stuff I read made me a little nervous to get the hd20.
post #38 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
i put about 160 hrs on my old optoma hd65 for one year. which averaged out about 13 hrs per week.

mostly used for weekend family movie sessions.
post #39 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

i put about 160 hrs on my old optoma hd65 for one year. which averaged out about 13 hrs per week.

mostly used for weekend family movie sessions.

Are you sure u hv ur maths right there?!
post #40 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 04:20 AM

I've had my Optoma HD20 since June and I have about 600 hrs. I use it basically for everything from TV, Movies, Xbox360 to Media.

Mostly due to the fact of having to move my old Hitachi 51" rpj back and forth...decided that I enjoyed the HD20 to much.

Knolan 33
Only live once...make the most of it

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339145
post #41 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
i use mine constantly...

as someone else noted, i didn't go through all the effort and expense in order to not use it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #42 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I use mine as much as possible! I only use the TVs in the middle of the day, at night it's the projector. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow me to use them as much as I would like lately. I've clocked over 2000 hrs in roughly 2 years across 4 different projectors. I can't bring myself to watch anything but the JVC for movies or TV. Unless it's right before bed, then I'll watch the plasma.
post #43 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

I have an eight year old NEC business projector and I baby it. Lamp hasn't failed yet!

You still baby it? I'd make sure it failed as soon as possible.
post #44 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

Are you sure u hv ur maths right there?!

sorry, never graduated from kindergarten math.

3 hrs a week. now that make me thinks i need to put more hours on my new projector. gotta make the investment worthwhile.
post #45 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf View Post

While it is a bore, you can tell that the plot movement was due to budget restrictions (costs a lot to film in a city).

Either way, I can assure you that the way they tied up the first half of season 2 was as best as they could given their restrictions.

Just remember that the Walking Dead has always been about the psychology of the humans and not so much the zombies!

That is pretty much where the show fails for me. First season was interesting but got dull about halfway through. I really don't find any of the characters interesting enough to care what is going on between them. Michael Rooker plays a scumbag very well though. Season Two is pretty much the same for me. I love the Zombie thing but the rest of the show is just a daytime soap in bloody disguise which just doesn't work for me Overall it is a pretty cool show though
post #46 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycab View Post

That is pretty much where the show fails for me. First season was interesting but got dull about halfway through. I really don't find any of the characters interesting enough to care what is going on between them. Michael Rooker plays a scumbag very well though. Season Two is pretty much the same for me. I love the Zombie thing but the rest of the show is just a daytime soap in bloody disguise which just doesn't work for me Overall it is a pretty cool show though

Thats one of my fav shows.
post #47 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Are you Fellows intending to eat your PJ's Brains? How far OT is it to be discussing Zombies ad nauseum? (ie: nauseous)

Anyway....my own experience with a extremely wide cross section of End Users it that once they get a PJ and get enamored of "The Big Picture", usage steadily rises. That's no matter if the PJ is in a dedicated HT room or the Family room.

That is one reason (...and perhaps among the most important...) why the selection of a PJ to match expected and potential usage is so important. Will the unit run for hours a day? What output will / does the Bulb need to be set at? Is the mounting option ideally suited of continuous operation? Does the Filter need cleaning more frequently (...if one is present...) ?

I've seen PJs with 2000 hr rated Bulbs last 6-7000 hrs under continuous use. And I also see PJs with 5000 hr rated Bulbs pop 'em at 300 hrs due to excessive heat build-up due to poor...if not indeed clueless mounting.

To get the best bang for the Buck, you gotta get your desired entertainment level out of something....not "Baby it" simply to preserve it's lifetime. One can "Baby" something for several years, put little comparative usage on it over that time, and by doing so not really ever find out it's "weak in the knees" until well after the Warranty is expired.

It does boil down to personal choice as far as how much a thing is utilized, but it's also a real and obvious fact that as more and more "Normal" people get projectors, they will be using them a primary displays for all their content, Film and Broadcast.

......it's not like some of us haven't been espousing such for at least 10 years, ya know.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #48 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
For me the "babying" of projector justs comes down to rated bulb life. If these units were rated for 50,000 hours like my HDTV, then hell I'd use the crap out of it. But buying a replacement bulb at 250 dollars a POP figures into the equation for me.
I'm not alone, and wondered if my thinking is "newbie PJ behavior" or "realistic" and "financially sound" behavior.
Also, I do think of these things as more fragile, a HUGH LIGHT BULB in a box!
I'm thinking when "bulbs" cost 25 dollars or LED comes out with 50,000 hours bulb life we all will be using the heck out of it.
But some of you guys already have the mentality that , why baby it, use it and get your money's worth out of it, for in 5 years 4k projectors will be out, and you will want that. So what good is babying it and getting 1,000 hours in 4 years of use.
How many of us would be babying our HDTV's if it only got 4,000 hours before it needed 250 dollar replacement screen for 250 dollars. And also many people complained they only got 700 hours use before the HDTV screen broke. (referencing the epson nightmare threads)
post #49 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Are you Fellows intending to eat your PJ's Brains? How far OT is it to be discussing Zombies ad nauseum? (ie: nauseous)

Anyway....my own experience with a extremely wide cross section of End Users it that once they get a PJ and get enamored of "The Big Picture", usage steadily rises. That's no matter if the PJ is in a dedicated HT room or the Family room.

That is one reason (...and perhaps among the most important...) why the selection of a PJ to match expected and potential usage is so important. Will the unit run for hours a day? What output will / does the Bulb need to be set at? Is the mounting option ideally suited of continuous operation? Does the Filter need cleaning more frequently (...if one is present...) ?

I've seen PJs with 2000 hr rated Bulbs last 6-7000 hrs under continuous use. And I also see PJs with 5000 hr rated Bulbs pop 'em at 300 hrs due to excessive heat build-up due to poor...if not indeed clueless mounting.

To get the best bang for the Buck, you gotta get your desired entertainment level out of something....not "Baby it" simply to preserve it's lifetime. One can "Baby" something for several years, put little comparative usage on it over that time, and by doing so not really ever find out it's "weak in the knees" until well after the Warranty is expired.

It does boil down to personal choice as far as how much a thing is utilized, but it's also a real and obvious fact that as more and more "Normal" people get projectors, they will be using them a primary displays for all their content, Film and Broadcast.

......it's not like some of us haven't been espousing such for at least 10 years, ya know.

well said MississippiMan!

Is it alright to cool my Epson 3010 bulb with an external fan ? I somehow feel this could prolong its life (read it on AVS sometime ago) ? Or am i damaging it in someway by cooling it beyond what the PJ's fan is doing ? In addition, I also run the fan in highaltitude mode just to keep it extra cool (i don't mind extra fan noise if i will keep it going for long time)

Also it has a filter, how often should i clean it if i use it everyday for 3 hrs ?
post #50 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

don't know about the epson, but both my previous and current pj manuals are VERY explicit that you should not blow air through the intake....

i clean my filter every week... it only takes a minute or two...

@rgtaa...

re: the hdtv question... no, i still wouldn't baby it... to me, it's pointless to buy something and not use it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #51 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Chris is right. You can move air toward the Pj, or across the front, even "suck air" through it.....but never "inject it".

If your space is prone to dist...or you smoke....clean your Filters once every 2-3 weeks at minimum.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #52 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yea, i figure between the smoke, dust, cats, and whatever else is floating around in here, it can't hurt to clean it often...

- chris

post #53 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

35 hrs/week easily.

It's the main Living/TV room display, even during the day (with blinds closed). Though I will say I'd be more likely to use the 35" tube for short viewing if the 8' wide fixed screen was easier to take down and stow somewhere. As it is, it's easier to just use the PJ all the time.

I too don't get the "save it for special viewings" mindset. I'll gladly replace my bulb every 18 months or so for a giant picture every day/night - small price to pay IMO. But to each his own I guess.

"If you're not passing anyone, get the hell out of the passing lane!"
post #54 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Use it like you stole it...
but seriously, I just don't watch that much content. On the computer all day at work, got a 4 year old in the house. Everythign we watch is on the projector, but less than 20 hours/week.
post #55 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
30 or so hours per week. It's a depreciating asset so why would I baby it? For the past 7 years my projectors (nearly at the end of my second model now) have become my primary living room display. I buy a new lamp at about 18 to 24 months out...use it for another 18 to 24 months...and then it's on to the next projector. Don't plan on using anything else as my "TV" anytime soon. I don't understand why everyone doesn't have one. lol
post #56 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Chris is right. You can move air toward the Pj, or across the front, even "suck air" through it.....but never "inject it".

If your space is prone to dist...or you smoke....clean your Filters once every 2-3 weeks at minimum.

I am not blowing into the PJ, but I have a fan blowing away all the hot air emanating from PJ. I guess thats OK !
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page