Projector for close viewing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sit about 5-7 feet away from a 135" screen. The Epson 8350 projector looks good but I noticed my friends 46" HD TV looks way better, better contrast, popping, colors.

Is there a projector that could look as good as that set, from my POV (135" from 5-7 feet).

Or is blu-ray incapable of looking that good from my POV due to pixel density or what have you... maybe I have to wait for LED, or 4K projectors? I know the 8350 is relatively cheap and LCD tech is getting outdated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Liked: 12
The difference is mostly due to the size difference. You're taking the same number of pixels (about 2 million for 1080p) and putting them on a screen that's more than 8.5 times the surface area which makes the individual pixels 8.5 times bigger. You're also comparing front screen projection with direct view. It won't have the same brightness. With direct view, you're seeing the light directly from the tv, with projectors you're looking at reflected light

For a thx recommended viewing angle of 36 degrees you'd be 15 feet from the screen. Your viewing angle is 88.9 deg at 5 ft.

post #3 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Liked: 11
now sit 1.5 to 2 feet away from his screen and see how good it looks. not any better than yours at you 5-7feet. by the way why are you sitting 6 feet away from a 135inch screen. im 11feet from 135inch and it looks great. 6feet is closer than most anyone would sit.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, yeah I sit close but I like a very close theatrical experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

The difference is mostly due to the size difference. You're taking the same number of pixels (about 2 million for 1080p) and putting them on a screen that's more than 8.5 times the surface area which makes the individual pixels 8.5 times bigger. You're also comparing front screen projection with direct view. It won't have the same brightness. With direct view, you're seeing the light directly from the tv, with projectors you're looking at reflected light

Ah okay, so probably I have to wait for 4K projection to get quality at the size/distance I want?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Liked: 13
I have a comparable HD33 with a 135" White 1.0gain screen. I sit around 10ft viewing distance and it looks pretty much along the same lines as my 1080p 120hz LCD TV. What the gentleman above is saying is that you essentially are so close to the screen that you are seeing pixilation. If you go to your TV/your friends TV and get approx 1-2ft from the screen you SHOULD see the same quality as you see from your projector at a seating distance of 5-7ft. If you are going to wait for 4k proj. you should just wait around for yrs haha and expect to pay thousands. Seeing as you have an 8350 I seriously doubt you will be sinking that much money into a 4k projector. Your best bet (and my best opinion from a lot of research and reading on here) is to just move your seating distance to at least 10ft and have a little better light controlled room OR to move the projector a ft or 2 closer to the screen for a 115" or 120" screen at that distance. Unfortunately I hate to tell you to do this but you have a decent projector with decent reviews. You will just have to make a little compromise. If anyone disagrees with me PLEASE speak up but this is just coming from someone that really has approx. the same setup as the gentlemen that is asking the question.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM

What everyone else has said is correct. You are sitting too close for the screen size.

I sit 10-11' from 1 110" screen and it is just about perfect for movies. I certainly would not want to be at 6' from the screen.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The OP talks about contrast, pop and colors! It could be the room walls and furniture are too bright or light colored and the light on the screen reflects back to the screen washing out contrast and mucking up colors. Paint the walls a dark grey or black and get black leather or microfiber furniture and the image will pop and colors will be more vibrant.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWazowski View Post

Thanks, yeah I sit close but I like a very close theatrical experience.

Ah okay, so probably I have to wait for 4K projection to get quality at the size/distance I want?

Your theatrical experience must consist of getting to movies late and only finding seats near the front (how else are you going to the movies and getting a nearly 90deg viewing angle?)

4K is going to be quite a ways off, well, there is the Sony projector that does 4K at a price tag of 30,000. And I have no doubt that it'd look awesome even though would have to upscale a 1080p image since I don't think there are any native 4K media. It might even require a new type of media due to the amount of space needed for that resolution.

Your options are to move back or deal with the image issues. I sit about 11 feet away from a 120-130inch image at 720p. I've moved the projector closer and made the image 100inches, it looks better when comparing picture quality but I still prefer the larger, albeit worse, picture. I guess this would be similar since I have half the amount of pixels and I'm sitting about twice as far as you.

post #9 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In a theater, you would be maybe 20 feet away from screen, the first row, go up on stage and watch it, 5-7 feet way and it would not look good, contrast, color,etc.
People would say that is silly, too close.

I'm on 42 inch hdtv around 4-5 feet back, now make picture 3x bigger, go back 3x to get same effect. If I move closer to 1 foot on 42 inch I see the tiny squares, try it on your hdtv, colors don't look good, and thousands of black lines, boxes, it looks like crap. I don't see those tiny squares it at 4-5 feet back on my 42 inch hdtv.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I used to have my 42" panasonic plasma as my display 3' away :P

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Energy RC-70[] Amplifier: Parasound A21[] Projector: Epson 5020ub [] Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Cabling: Speaker Cable: BlueJeansCable 10 AWG [] Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
post #11 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Even if a 4K projector was here tomorrow, what video signal are you going to feed it? LOL.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page