Epson 5010/6010 and 150" Screen - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
we have only had two problems with Epson had one bulb and one projector problem (not the same unit). The bulb had about 800 hours on it when it went. Epson service in both cases was stellar which I can't say about other projector companies with the exception of Planar/ Runco. The others weren't bad but solutions took longer. We have replaced a number of bulbs on the Epson PJs and all have had 3000 or more hours (which I think is acceptable) and several significantly more than 4000 hours.

It sounds like you had some bad luck with your projector bulbs. Knock on wood I hope our luck isn't going to change:-). We mostly sell the Pro-models because they are a better value if ceiling mounted and we can package them better than doing the home models and adding the same accessories. Sometimes when I read of the problems here I wonder if there is a different quality control check between the lines. I mean except for a few features and the bundled items they are the same projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I had the 'Red Line' issue with one then the Bulb. Customer service told me that they had a ton of issues with the 'Made In China' bulbs and were switching over to the Japanese bulbs because of better quality control.

The replacement projector with the new bulb (Japan) worked great for 1800 odd hours then the projector just quit. They said it was an Iris malfunction. The new replacement projector came with the 'Made In China' bulb. I wasn't aware of the bulb till it died at 800 hours. If I woulda' known, I woulda' switched bulbs from the broken Iris projector.

The replacement for that bulb was once again ......the China bulb, which is in this projector now.

There's my long winded projector history

Maybe the pro version line has and is hording all the 'Made In Japan' bulbs

Just kidding, there probably is a shortage of the Japanese bulbs because of the tsunami......but that's only a guess.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Is this really common?!

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I may of had a little more bad luck than others but if you read through the Epson owners thread, issues in quality control becomes very apparent. That being said, their customer service is really really good.

When you call customer service, you'll be on the phone for about 5 minutes and will ship out the replacement the next day. The longest I had to be without my projector was 2 days.

If you read through other projector threads you'll see that quality control issues is not only an Epson problem and they have to deal with a not so stellar of a customer service.

Epson make some really nice looking projectors and IF you have any issues.....you know you'll be taken care of, hassle free.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Liked: 10
Hi folks

Great thread - learning a lot.

Quick Q about ceiling mounts for the Epson 5010:
I made a hushbox with a Chief RPA mount incorporated into the top. I've had a Sanyo PLV-70 running in the thing for years. The dimensions of the box would accomodate the 5010.

The adaptor plate will probably not work, and there is no specific part# for the Epson 5010 (yet).
I called chief, and they recommended I use the Universal bracket (SLB-U).

Has anyone gone this route already?

Point of interest:
The chief tech on the phone said that in order to fabricate a model-specific adaptor plate, someone would have to send them their projector. Considering how popular the 5010 is already, I'm surpised that has not happened yet! I might be tempted to try that!

russ
Old 02-28-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellr View Post

Hi folks

I made a hushbox with a Chief RPA mount incorporated into the top. I've had a Sanyo PLV-70 running in the thing for years. The dimensions of the box would accomodate the 5010.

The adaptor plate will probably not work, and there is no specific part# for the Epson 5010 (yet).

There is absolutely no need to do that!!!

The Chief RPA-168 Mount's "Projector Adapter Plate" is fully "Cross Model Adaptable" with the Epson 8100, 8500, 8700, 8350, 9100, 9350, 9700, 3010.5010,..............and yes, the 6010 as well.

Quote:

Point of interest:
The chief tech on the phone said that in order to fabricate a model-specific adaptor plate, someone would have to send them their projector. Considering how popular the 5010 is already, I'm surpised that has not happened yet! I might be tempted to try that!

russ

If it wasn't so terribly sad....it would be "Knee Slappin' Hilarious. But it ain't.

Chief Tech, eh? You mean a "Tech at Chief" I hope so...because one so clueless and uninformed that some Rube from down in the Bottoms has to correct his misinformation is "No Tech at all".

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi folks

Point of interest:

russ

I dont know about that product, but I use AV-817U Universal Projector Flush Ceiling Mount. It works with my Epson 8700UB and now my Epson 5010. Work nicely.

http://www.visualapex.com/accessorie...number=AV-817U
Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 PM

@MississippiMan
Thanks!
DOes RPA-168 equate to the a SLB-168 if I already have the RPA base?

Thanks again

russ
Old 03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

@MississippiMan
Thanks!

Thanks again

russ

Yes...it does.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 03-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

@MississippiMan
Thanks!

Thanks again

russ

yes
Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievoviii View Post

yes

Ditto Cat.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 03-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

With a new a new bulb you will have the minimum reference ft/l on a 150" screen in best mode and possible slightly more depending on Pj placement. When we design a system we like the viewer to enjoy their projector throughout its lifespan. You may have to change your bulb early or use a brighter mode as your bulb ages to achieve that same 'pop'. There is nothing wrong with this, I just make the poster aware of the tradeoffs. We have many customers that change their bulbs early and some of the older projectors don't last anywhere near as long the the current PJs.

My comments weren't directed at you but someone that is saying they are getting 22ft/l on a 200" 1.3 gain screen. I'm sorry but that is not possible in best mode. If you calculate the lumens required to achieve that, it would require 2000 lumens and not even with a great bulb at the shortest end of the zoom no one is measuring even close to 1/2 that in best mode. In fairness he never stated it was in best mode.

I've been doing this for over 15 years and longer as an enthusiast as I have had CRT projectors myself and have been an ISF calibrator since 1999 with equipment that is more than $30,000. Times have never been better with the brightness of todays projectors and larger screen sizes are possible at reasonable costs.

I commend you for doing an AT screen. It really is the best solution for good audio with large screens. Audio tends to suffer in many of these systems with large screens and until you do an AT screen you might not know how much of a difference it really is.

You guys really should listen to Bob here. I've been down this road. I have a 130" 1.0 gain screen and with some of the older projectors I've had (Infocus 4805 and Mits HD1000u), they worked great when the bulbs were new, but by around 1000 hours they were getting too dim in both cases. It wasn't until I moved up to an Infocus X10 and now a BenQ W6000 that I really have the lumens to spare for bulb aging.

Now if you don't mind buying a bulb every 1000 hours or so, then it might work. Depends on how much you're going to use it. Also keep in mind that each time you strike the bulb, it takes significant life from it. So even if you watch only an hour or 2 a day, if you fire it up everyday, the bulb will dim fairly quickly.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Reviving an old thread.

I have a Epson 3010 and am itching to upgrade my screen from 120" to 150".

I have a very newbie question on throw vs. lumen relationship. If the screen size is fixed, why would the lumen decrease as you increase the throw? Taking a flashlight as an example, the intensity will reduce only if it has to illuminate a wider area. Why is the PJ diferent?

Also my ceiling is 10 ft high and there is a ceiling fan that eats up top 2 ft. So am looking for a ceiling mount that will drop the PJ by 2 ft and also I would like to know if there is a mount that allows the PJ to be moved horizontally, vertically so that it compensates for the lack of lens shift of 3010?

Also did the crackhead2k succeed in his endeavor?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 AM

Liked: 35
I've wondered about the decrease in lumens too with longer throws. My best guess is a projector is not perfectly directed light like a laser, so the farther away from the screen, the more "bleed" can happen along the light beam path. Even if this is true, it doesn't seem it would lose much.

I've owned a projector mount from Ebay and it has been wonderful. Made of aluminum, they are available with extensions to lower your projector. The projector mounting base can swivel in any direction. The great news is these only cost around $60. Look for the ones that are aluminum with a plate style projector mounting base.

I'll be buying the Epson 5020 and one of these mounts when my theater is ready early next year. I'll have a 150 inch screen too with a throw distance of about 17 feet.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For what its worth, I have a 3010 with around 800hrs on the bulb. I used to use 120" 1.0 matte white screen and now upgraded to 150" 1.0 matte white screen and 3010 does an amazing job in filling it with bright images in 2D and 3D, and this is in Cenema mode with lamp in ECO.

The 120" was brighter, but 150" is not dim by any means. As the lamp ages, I plan to switch to Normal Lamp and eventually to LivingRoom mode. And I paid $180 for this Elite screen.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Actually got the 5020 now.
Very happy I get to set up the screen tonight. It is a 1.0 gain screen.

And....

Its 150 inch.

Anyways thanks for your input.smile.gif

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft