Vivitek D538W-3D (Did my homework but ?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Even after doing my background work I was just wondering if what I found out about this PJ is true. (It is HDMI 1.3 not 1.4 a)

All I want to be able to do, is hook it to a 3D player like a Panny 210 and view 3D Blu-ray.

The problem is some online reviews make it sound like because it can't do 1080p 3D that you must get a 3D converter like the Optpma 3d-XL.

But from my understanding it seems as long as you can set the source device like the Panny 210 Blu-ray player to output 720p this projector should give you 3D(Real 3D not the converted 2d to 3D), is that correct ? You would only need a Optoma 3d-XL if you had a source device that could not be set to 720p and you needed the 3d-XL to downscale 1080p to 720p for you...

I was just hoping someone here has this pj or could bouble check what this pj can do 3D wise for me.

You can put a 1080p 3D movie in the Panny 210 and set it to output 720P 3D can't you ? I thought you could do that with most all Blu-ray players and even cable TV boxes ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-26-2012, 07:23 AM

Liked: 10
I can't tell you how unfriendly the Sub-$1000 projector market is. It is a bit of a wild wild west, but it looks like it is becoming possible to find HDMI 1.3/4 3d projectors with a few reasonable tradeoffs.

See this link http://www.3dmovielist.com/projectors.html#m255

I just purchased the Vivitek because the company claims that it can automatically convert 2D to 3D and can be plugged into a 3D blue ray out of the box. We shall see. The LG wifi 3D blue ray is a great deal on amazon right now.

Now I am shopping for glassess.
Finally I think I will paint the screen using the sub $100 method. See http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

More to come.

Mike
post #3 of 35 Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkramer View Post

I just purchased the Vivitek because the company claims that it can automatically convert 2D to 3D and can be plugged into a 3D blue ray out of the box. We shall see.

More to come.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Please post back when you get the PJ.
All I want to know is if you can set a 3D blu-ray player to output 720p, hook it to the Vivitek D538W-3D and have it project real 3D not the converted 2d to 3d.
post #4 of 35 Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Yes this projector can do 3D without the need for a conversion box like the optoma or viewsonic.

This technology is built into a number of Vivitek projectors including the D512, D536, D538 and the new H1086 their 1080p projector. The H1086 is the same unit as the h1085 but supports the 3D technology.

HTH
post #5 of 35 Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmal View Post

Yes this projector can do 3D without the need for a conversion box like the optoma or viewsonic.

This technology is built into a number of Vivitek projectors including the D512, D536, D538 and the new H1086 their 1080p projector. The H1086 is the same unit as the h1085 but supports the 3D technology.

HTH

Thank you so much jmal for the help.
Am I right in thinking you can put a 1080p 3D blu-ray disk in any Blu-Ray player and have the Blu-ray player down scale and output it as 720p 3D to the Vivitek projector ? No need for and Optoma 3D-xl or Viewsonic to do the down scaling.
post #6 of 35 Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 AM

Yes. I have connected the Vivitek D538-3D TO A PS3 and also a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 with a standard HDMI cable.

3D is very good. Watched Avatar on it and also some current titles. Going to test the H1085-3D soon. Vivitek 3D projectors do not need a seperate processor all the tech built into the projector!
post #7 of 35 Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmal View Post

Yes. I have connected the Vivitek D538-3D TO A PS3 and also a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 with a standard HDMI cable.

3D is very good. Watched Avatar on it and also some current titles. Going to test the H1085-3D soon. Vivitek 3D projectors do not need a seperate processor all the tech built into the projector!

As I said before,
Thank You so much jmal for the answer.
I did do my homework but when reading reviews on the web, I started getting doubts about my understanding of how this projector could deal with 1080p 3D Blu-ray disk.

Set the 3D-Blu-ray player to output 720p and enjoy any 3D-blu-ray disk...Simple ...Thanks
post #8 of 35 Old 03-04-2012, 07:12 AM

I have purchased 3d Magic DLPR DLP Link glasses model k510U.
I am using a vivitek 538W-3D.
I have connected to the xbox and blue ray 2d content. With the 2D to 3D function I can see 3d images!

However, no amount of configuration is allowing it to work with a blue-ray DVD 3d. Christmas Carol and Thor will not work.
I have tried 3 brands of blue ray at best buy - panasonic, samsung, and LG.
I have configured the system to include 3d-Link and tried both side by side and top down 3d formats to no success.

What I observe is the following...

Initially for a 15-30 seconds after the 3d content appears, there are some 3d effects, but the images are jerking horizontally with a rapid regular cycle of about 10 per second. The image is blurred (2 slightly offset copies of the image). This jerking disappears for after about 30 seconds, the image stabilizes and there is no 3d effect. There is a dual image throughout this cycle. The jerking repeats itself throughout the movie every 2-5 minutes.

While the vivitek is an HDMI1.3 projector, the promotional materials state that it is compatible with most DVD players. You all appear to be making it work!!!

Obviously there is some flaw in my setup it seemed most likely a problem with the DVD format, however, after 3 separate DVD players, I am thinking it is the glasses or the projector. I tried 3 diff HDMI cables.

Can you offer any suggestions?
My next step is probably different glasses.
Can you all post what glasses you have working with 3D blue ray players?

Thanks much!

Mike
post #9 of 35 Old 03-04-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have this projector yet, these are just some ideas to try.

Make shure the Blu-ray player is set to output 720p not 1080p 3d.

Think someone said that the menu option to activate 3D is deep in the menu screens about three screens deep and you must exit and enter the menu a second time to activate 3D.

Make shure you have have the projector set for real 3D not 2d to 3d conversion.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the tips. Tried these. No luck yet. I just ordered a different set of glasses, those recommended by Vivitek, XPAND X102 DLP-Link 3D Revolution Glasses.

More to come!
post #11 of 35 Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. Tried these. No luck yet. I just ordered a different set of glasses, those recommended by Vivitek, XPAND X102 DLP-Link 3D Revolution Glasses.

More to come!

Yes please post back, I would like to know if you get it working and how.

Could be your HDMI cable ? Are you going straight from the Blu-Ray player to the projector with nothing in between ?
post #12 of 35 Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 PM

Tried 3 different cables. Vivitek called my home directly! What amazing service. They are working on different solutions and are going to call me back!!
post #13 of 35 Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Saw this in a review on another site about getting 3D working, maybe it will help.

"The easiest way to get this to work is to turn "Auto Source" to On in the "Installation II" menu. You may also have to go to the 3D menu (under Advanced) and switch on DLP Link mode and possibly top/bottom mode, though I think the Auto Source setting may make those steps unnecessary."
post #14 of 35 Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The big picture View Post

Saw this in a review on another site about getting 3D working, maybe it will help.

"The easiest way to get this to work is to turn "Auto Source" to On in the "Installation II" menu. You may also have to go to the 3D menu (under Advanced) and switch on DLP Link mode and possibly top/bottom mode, though I think the Auto Source setting may make those steps unnecessary."

I have setup the D538W-3D with Xpand X102 glasses. Not sure how this projectors works with other glasses. Remember most other DLP link projectors only support 3D from a PC unless you purchase a conversion box (E.g. Optoma 3D-XL). This Vivitek unit will connect directly from a PS3 or 3D Bluray Player to the projector via any HDMI 1.3 cable.

If the projector is allowing you to select 2D-3D conversion then your player is not outputting 3D content. When the projector detects a 3D source it will not allow you to select 2D-3D in the menu.

I have mine setup here with a PS3. I need to change the display settings on the PS3, and then the Playstation will detect a 3D display and configure the output setting for 3D allowing you to set the screen size etc.

It sounds to me like your have an issue with your player setup. Try adjusting some settings on this.
post #15 of 35 Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Post pictures of the diplay. I want to see it before I buy it.
post #16 of 35 Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 AM

I am in heaven. For under $1000 I have a 3D projector, 3D DVD, and glasses. Now I will use the Sherman Williams paint and buy my HDMI cables online.

Originally bought 3d Magic DLPR DLP Link glasses model k510U 2D to 3D worked but not 3D from the DVD player. Strange.

Ordered Xpand X102 glasses and it is working great!

It is a shame, I wanted the rechargeable glasses, so now will go on a hunt for something that is the best combination of both.

Knowing it was the glasses leaves me confident to start running cables and mounting the hardware. Oh Yeah!

BTW great customer service from Vivitek. They were on the phone with me two nights in a row. The guy called me at home and it appeared he had the hardware in house and was able to test my specific configuration! Thanks Richard!
post #17 of 35 Old 03-11-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am in heaven. For under $1000 I have a 3D projector, 3D DVD, and glasses. Now I will use the Sherman Williams paint and buy my HDMI cables online.

Originally bought 3d Magic DLPR DLP Link glasses model k510U 2D to 3D worked but not 3D from the DVD player. Strange.

Ordered Xpand X102 glasses and it is working great!

It is a shame, I wanted the rechargeable glasses, so now will go on a hunt for something that is the best combination of both.

Knowing it was the glasses leaves me confident to start running cables and mounting the hardware. Oh Yeah!

BTW great customer service from Vivitek. They were on the phone with me two nights in a row. The guy called me at home and it appeared he had the hardware in house and was able to test my specific configuration! Thanks Richard!

So it was just the glasses ?
No other settings needed to be changed ?
Also just wondering which Blu-Ray player(Brand/Model) you ended up using with your current working setup for true 3D not 2d to 3d coversion ?
Glad your up and running....
post #18 of 35 Old 03-11-2012, 06:18 PM

So if I have a ps3 and onkyo tx-nr708 (hdmi 1.4A) and this projector is (1.3)
Can I uses a 1.4a hdmi cable from ps3 to onkyo reciever and 1.4a hdmi from receiver to vivitek projector? Or would I need 1.3 all the way thru from ps3 --> reciever ---> projector??

Thanks
post #19 of 35 Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_liks View Post

So if I have a ps3 and onkyo tx-nr708 (hdmi 1.4A) and this projector is (1.3)
Can I uses a 1.4a hdmi cable from ps3 to onkyo reciever and 1.4a hdmi from receiver to vivitek projector? Or would I need 1.3 all the way thru from ps3 --> reciever ---> projector??

Thanks

I think more(1.4a when only 1.3 is needed)is always fine and will work.
It's when less (1.3 or lower is used when 1.4 is needed) that is bad and will not work...Unless, read below

The 1.3, 1.4 rating is how much signal/information the cable can carry. 1.4 can carry more than the 1.3 cable. There are high quality 1.3 cables that will work as 1.4a cables. They were just never tested for a 1.4 rating, but they are as good as any 1.4a cable.Because really they are 1.4...LOL

PS..The PS3 is only HDMI 1.3 with 3D added in an update.The update added 3D but does not make the PS3 a true 1.4 device..I think that is correct..Double check my information to be shure.
post #20 of 35 Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM

Here is a great explanation of the problem. It appears that certain glasses do not work due to the cycle speed.

http://truedepth3d.com/upcoming-impr...jector-owners/

It appears that truedepth and xpand specifically are aware of the issue and have glasses that work.
Once I had functioning glasses, the only setting one has to check is to turn on the 3d mode with DLP-Link.

The DVD player is from LG BD-670.

"Tests have confirmed that the glasses work flawlessly with Vivitek projectors in 2D-3D conversion mode and also work great when the 3D source is hooked to the VGA connector. However, the glasses have trouble syncing when the source is connected through the HDMI connection. Vivitek has confirmed that this is due to the refresh rate which is set at 96Hz in this mode. This is consistent with 24p 3D Blu ray discs (the projector essentially doubles the refresh rate for each eye). Our glasses are not currently able to support a 96Hz refresh rate."
post #21 of 35 Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 AM

Hey guys I'm extremely happy to have found this thread.

My situation is a bit unique. I have my D538W-3D connected to my WDTV Live and I have it set at 720p. When I try to play a 3D mkv file and I turn 3D on the image becomes very blocky, very noticeable during the opening credits and any text on the screen. The WDTV is wired connected to my modem, and is not being converted due to TVersity or any other application it is being streamed directly from a computer that is plugged into the network.

I also tried plugging in my xbox 360 and corrected the resolution to 720p and enabled 3D in the dashboard. When I put in several 3D games and activated the 3D setting the graphics are again all blocky and jagged. When I try to play a movie on 3D setting it also has this problem. Now from reading this thread I noticed that this is a HDMI 1.3 projector, and admittingly I have been using a 1.4 cable, so tomorrow I am going to try and find an older HDMI cable to see if this fixes my problem. Has anyone ever had this type of problem?

I know on my Toshiba 3DTV I was using 1.3HDMI cables and had the same problem, but when I plugged my 3D source with a 1.4 cable the blocks went away.

UPDATE:
I tried about 4 different HDMI wires (some 1.4 and some 1.3) and the pixelated/blocky/jagged edges still appear, it almost like a JPEG being enlarged and the pixels become visible. I'm beginning to think this may be a defect unless others also report similar issues...or maybe I'm just a perfectionist and this is normal??? Help me out guys!
post #22 of 35 Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

themoneyshot978,
I know you have the video feed set at 720p but is it really a 720p image that is coming in to the projector ? Almost sounds like a lower resolution image is getting to the projector ???
post #23 of 35 Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:

themoneyshot978,
I know you have the video feed set at 720p but is it really a 720p image that is coming in to the projector ? Almost sounds like a lower resolution image is getting to the projector ???

If this was the case then thats the answer lol. But when I load up regular 1080p or 720p files they play and look just fine. I'm going to call up vivitek now.
post #24 of 35 Old 03-17-2012, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Here is somthing I am not shure of.
When you use this projector for 3D, does the projector lower it's brightness level when in 3D mode. I do not mean the dimming from wearing the 3D glasses, I mean does the projector run the lamp at a lower/dimmer brightness level in 3D mode ?
Can you use this projector at it's full brightness (3200 Lumens) when using 3D ?
post #25 of 35 Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:

Here is somthing I am not shure of.
When you use this projector for 3D, does the projector lower it's brightness level when in 3D mode. I do not mean the dimming from wearing the 3D glasses, I mean does the projector run the lamp at a lower/dimmer brightness level in 3D mode ?
Can you use this projector at it's full brightness (3200 Lumens) when using 3D ?

It goes into that "Auto Image" screen then returns. But yeah it does get a little dimmer.
post #26 of 35 Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 AM

My issue is that I want to play side by side mkv files. I havent tried a 3d-bluray disk yet, which is what most people do and have success with. I tried the PS3 video games in 3D and they work fine (no pixelation). The PS3 resolution is set to Auto and it automatically knows that the projector only does 3D in 720p. It works for video games without a problem, but when I am playing a SBS video and turn 3D on the projector I get the jagged edges again.
post #27 of 35 Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneyshot978 View Post

It goes into that "Auto Image" screen then returns. But yeah it does get a little dimmer.

Can you still adjust settings when in 3D mode, like upping the brightness/contrast or are you locked out of the settings menu when in 3D?

I bet there is an easy fix for the side by side mkv files problem but I don't have the answer.
Did you post this question in the 3D section of the forums ? Bet they can help.I think it is more of a general 3D problem than being related to just this make of projector. Check out that section. Post the fix here when you find it and I think you will.
post #28 of 35 Old 03-19-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Can you still adjust settings when in 3D mode, like upping the brightness/contrast or are you locked out of the settings menu when in 3D?

I bet there is an easy fix for the side by side mkv files problem but I don't have the answer.
Did you post this question in the 3D section of the forums ? Bet they can help.I think it is more of a general 3D problem than being related to just this make of projector. Check out that section. Post the fix here when you find it and I think you will.

I can still play with the brightness/contrast.

I did post this in the 3D sections. No help.

I spoke to Vivitek and am going to use my warranty and send this projector into them. I noticed that for Top/Bottom 3D content, the image would shift to 4x3, so I'm guessing their may be a hardware issue with my projector. I also received the Sony Nx20 media player which also gave me the SBS issue. It seems frame packed 3D (ps3 games, etc) works fine, but SBS/TB 3D has an issue.
post #29 of 35 Old 03-20-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hey themoneyshot978,
Thanks for all the help by posting what you know about this projector.

Here in Orlando I think the cable company(BrightHouse) uses Top/Bottom for 3D atleast espn 3D is.
Does this mean I will be able to get a 3D picture but it will be smushed looking in 4:3 format ?
post #30 of 35 Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Hey themoneyshot978,
Thanks for all the help by posting what you know about this projector.

Here in Orlando I think the cable company(BrightHouse) uses Top/Bottom for 3D atleast espn 3D is.
Does this mean I will be able to get a 3D picture but it will be smushed looking in 4:3 format ?

No hopefully yours is fine. Hopefully mine has a unique problem. I'm hoping the chip/mechanism that allows 3D is screwed up, because then I can just get a new one from Vivitek.

I think that it has to be the 3D hardware, because when it puts together a SBS image, its all blocky. For T/B 3D, there is a problem when I turn 3D on the image shifts to 4:3 and you can tell something isnt right with the hardware because theres no reason that should happen. My TV has 3D option as well and works fine with SBS or TB so it makes no sense. Also the man I spoke to says it sounds like a hardware issue, because if this was something more common then they'd know about it by now from other people complaining. Plus the website I bought it from isnt like a Bestbuy or Walmart, it was nothingbutsoftware.com so I'm wondering if they were just selling projectors that took a bump and were "questionable" ...in any case the warranty should cover me.

Do you have this projector yet? From reading your initial post, I am fairly positive if you set your device to output 720p (say for mkv files) then the 3D option should be fine. If you're watching a 3D bluray or something and your DVD player or PS3 detects 3D, the player should shift over to 720p
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page