Anyone know of a good place to buy PJ replacement parts (specifically fans)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to replace the fans in my Marantz VP4001 (reportedly identical to Sharpvision XV-Z3000). They're getting noisy and though I can take them out and lube them up, I thought I'd ask where I might find replacements.

No need to have a repair place do it for me - the fans are drop-ins and just plug into the main board. A 5 minute job.

Anyone know of a repair/parts place that would just send me the fans?

Thanks for any info.

"If you're not passing anyone, get the hell out of the passing lane!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

Looking to replace the fans in my Marantz VP4001 (reportedly identical to Sharpvision XV-Z3000). They're getting noisy and though I can take them out and lube them up, I thought I'd ask where I might find replacements.

No need to have a repair place do it for me - the fans are drop-ins and just plug into the main board. A 5 minute job.

Anyone know of a repair/parts place that would just send me the fans?

Thanks for any info.

Could you post the part numbers that on the fans so we could cross reference them?

Also how are you planning on lubricatiing them? . I learned a little trick involving 3&1 oil and Graphite powder that works great and is better than new.

Bohanna
post #3 of 24 Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are all of the markings I got from various spots on the fans:

NMB
MINEBEA-MATSUSHITA
PBT-GF30-FR
NFANRA053WJ00
NMB-MAT
MODEL 2810KL-04W-B39
12V DC 0.19A

Each of the 3 fans has 3 wires coming out of it. Two of them have a 3-pin connector for the main board, and one of them has a 4-pin connector though one of the 4 pin holes is not wired to anything.

The fans always seemed loud to me. A couple of years ago I tried some replacement fans: EVERCOOL EC7025M12CA 12V 0.19A. When I wired them up, the PJ would not start correctly. Never understood why not.

Lately I've heard an occasional slight rattling sound from them. I lubed them up this morning. Removed the round sticker covering the hub, and put 1 drop of very fine machine oil into the bearings. Put it all back together and I can't hear any difference at all. I'd just like to replace them.

post #4 of 24 Old 02-26-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.google.com/search?q=2810K...ient=firefox-a

I just google part numbers
2810KL-04W-B39

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/137...w-b39-p00.html

(fifth element)
post #5 of 24 Old 02-26-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had googled earlier and saw that as well, but I fear that they'll need a minimum order. I plan to call them tomorrow and find out.

post #6 of 24 Old 02-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

NMB
MINEBEA-MATSUSHITA
PBT-GF30-FR
NFANRA053WJ00
NMB-MAT
MODEL 2810KL-04W-B39
12V DC 0.19A

Each of the 3 fans has 3 wires coming out of it. Two of them have a 3-pin connector for the main board, and one of them has a 4-pin connector though one of the 4 pin holes is not wired to anything.

The fans always seemed loud to me. A couple of years ago I tried some replacement fans: EVERCOOL EC7025M12CA 12V 0.19A. When I wired them up, the PJ would not start correctly. Never understood why not.

Lately I've heard an occasional slight rattling sound from them. I lubed them up this morning. Removed the round sticker covering the hub, and put 1 drop of very fine machine oil into the bearings. Put it all back together and I can't hear any difference at all. I'd just like to replace them.

Go to the Homedepot, Lowes or a hardware store and get a small tube of Powdered graphite. You can find it in the Key Dept. It will cost you about 2 -3 bucks. make sure it is the powered and not the Graphite lube or paste. Lift up the bearing sticker or plug. Make sure you put in the oil FIRST and put a SMALL "Puff" of the powder and put the sticker/plug back and you should be good to go. The Powder gets drawn back into the little bearing race by the oil and it should give you a lot more life out if it. Also if the fans are noisy it generally means they are moving lots of air and this is a good thing with arc lamps.

Best of luck

Bohanna

FYI I think the reason the replacement fans didn't work was you may have had them wired wrong, The projectors are pretty sensitive to loopback data they see from components and if The machine senses anything wrong about the fan it will shut down to prevent a lamp "Pop"
post #7 of 24 Old 02-26-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Projector fans have a feedback loop, (thus the 3/4 wires) so the projector knows the fans are running. If they aren't or the projector can't sense them, it does not power up.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

Go to the Homedepot, Lowes or a hardware store and get a small tube of Powdered graphite. You can find it in the Key Dept. It will cost you about 2 -3 bucks. make sure it is the powered and not the Graphite lube or paste. Lift up the bearing sticker or plug. Make sure you put in the oil FIRST and put a SMALL "Puff" of the powder and put the sticker/plug back and you should be good to go. The Powder gets drawn back into the little bearing race by the oil and it should give you a lot more life out if it. Also if the fans are noisy it generally means they are moving lots of air and this is a good thing with arc lamps.

Best of luck

Bohanna

FYI I think the reason the replacement fans didn't work was you may have had them wired wrong, The projectors are pretty sensitive to loopback data they see from components and if The machine senses anything wrong about the fan it will shut down to prevent a lamp "Pop"

Hopefully I can just buy replacements from Digikey. If not, I'll try your suggestion. Thanks!

post #9 of 24 Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hopefully I can just buy replacements from Digikey. If not, I'll try your suggestion. Thanks!

No Problem I used to fix and sell a lot of used computers and this little trick has brought back at least a hundred CPU fans from their screaming deathbed and made them BETTER than the day they were made. There is a another little trick that involves a tiny wire tie that helps secure the motor plate to one of the mounting legs after the rivets holding the motor to the fan body gets worn from vibration. A lot of people use WD 40 and it works for about a week until it dries out and the fans worse than before the quick fix because it seizes up and you get a fan error boot screen

Bohanna
post #10 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

NMB
MINEBEA-MATSUSHITA
PBT-GF30-FR
NFANRA053WJ00
NMB-MAT
MODEL 2810KL-04W-B39
12V DC 0.19A

Were you able to find the fans? Disappointing that the Evercools didn't work, as they seem like a compatible replacement. Surely the higher rpm didn't cause the malfunction. Still wish I could find quieter fans, as it's my only complaint for this pj.

bg
post #11 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

Were you able to find the fans? Disappointing that the Evercools didn't work, as they seem like a compatible replacement. Surely the higher rpm didn't cause the malfunction. Still wish I could find quieter fans, as it's my only complaint for this pj.

I found the fans, but there was a minimum 80 unit order.

I've lubed my current fans with light machine oil (no powdered graphite yet), and I'm toying with the idea of trying to replace the bearings.

The Evercools didn't work because evidently these particular fans get fed a certain signal on their third wire and then return a certain frequency on the ground wire. That's why a typical 3 wire replacement fan won't work.

If the lube or replacement bearings don't work out, I can't believe I may have to replace this PJ just because I can't get replacement fans.

Anyone know of a friendly PJ repair shop that may have these fans or could point me to a source (that won't make me buy 80 of them)?

post #12 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Evercools didn't work because evidently these particular fans get fed a certain signal on their third wire and then return a certain frequency on the ground wire. That's why a typical 3 wire replacement fan won't work.

Damn...sure seems like Marantz/Sharp went a long way to make sure only this fan would work. Weasels! Now I'd like to tear one down just to see what's inside.

I assume you've tried Marantz and Sharp parts directly? Or even approaching one of their authorized service centers to see if they'll get the part for you? It'll probably be expensive going this route, but worth a try.

bg
post #13 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

I assume you've tried Marantz and Sharp parts directly? Or even approaching one of their authorized service centers to see if they'll get the part for you? It'll probably be expensive going this route, but worth a try.

I can try to call Marantz, but I was hoping someone here had a good experience getting parts from a repair shop. I'll report here with what I find.

post #14 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've lubed my current fans with light machine oil (no powdered graphite yet), and I'm toying with the idea of trying to replace the bearings.
)?

You are wasting your time trying to replace the bearings. The graphite powder will fill in the gaps between the bushings and the fan shaft.

Bohanna
post #15 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

You are wasting your time trying to replace the bearings. The graphite powder will fill in the gaps between the bushings and the fan shaft.

Bohanna

Good to know. I was askeered of trying that anyway.

I plan to pick up some graphite at HD tomorrow.

post #16 of 24 Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Picked up some graphite, but I'm waiting to open the PJ back up again due to some partially good news:

There are 3 fans in the projector. They look identical at first glance but one of them has a sealed bearing and the other two have a non-sealed bearing (the sealed bearing fan is the one right next to the bulb that pumps out the majority of heat and dust). I finally got a hold of Marantz Support and they had one of the sealed bearing model in stock, and none of the non-sealed type. They don't expect to get any more of either type in again. Ever. I quickly ordered the one (sealed bearing version) they had (for $75!). This is the one making the most noise, so I got that going for me.

Support person advised me that some of their authorized service centers around the country might have some of the other fans in stock. So I've called a few and struck out so far.

When the new fan arrives, I'll install that one and use some graphite powder on the other two. And hope they last until it's time to upgrade the PJ.

post #17 of 24 Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I would assume sharp has all the parts or access (they still release re furbs)
Quote:

The SharpVision XV-Z3000 was manufactured by SharpVision. It was also marketed as:

Marantz VP4001
EIKI EIP-1600T

(fifth element)
post #18 of 24 Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

I would assume sharp has all the parts or access (they still release re furbs)

I thought of that as well, but haven't called Sharp yet.

post #19 of 24 Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fan arrived today. Installed it, as well as applying graphite powder to the remaining two original fans. Put it back together and while it does sound a good bit quieter, it's still louder than it was when brand new. I'd still like to replace the other two fans.

The search continues!

post #20 of 24 Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like CZ Eddie is mia on the other thread. Did he provide details on the Nexus fan that he used? Maybe you could research it and determine that it may work as a replacement.

bg
post #21 of 24 Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

He gave the specs (and pics) here back in 2010. The fan label indicates model SP702512M. He also indicates that while he got one of these fans to work, installing two of them would cause the PJ to shut down after a few minutes.

I wanted to check with him that he still has that fan installed and it's still working properly before I bought one, but I just ordered one from Amazon.

Of the two original fans left in my Marantz, one of them sounds fine and one is a little noisy so I'll replace the noisy one with this Nexus. I'm still going to try to locate a couple of OEM spares to have on hand though.

post #22 of 24 Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nexus arrived today. I pulled apart the Marantz again (getting really fast at this), and replaced the noisier original fan with the nexus. Definitely quieter, but when I held my hand up to the exhaust the Nexus definitely was putting out less CFM than the original did.

Not really worried about it, since the Nexus is the rearmost of the 3 fans and there's not much heat back there to expel anyway.

post #23 of 24 Old 03-11-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I figured the cfm was much lower, and wonder is Eddie's replacing two actually caused a rise in temp. He did say it started up, but shut down a while later. Don't understand why the Nexus works, and not the Evercools. I wouldn't expect them to be different in terms of wire functions. Maybe only the special sealed one needs the specific feedback. Did you try two Evercools in the 'less important' spots?

bg
post #24 of 24 Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not convinced it quit on him because of heat buildup - I would think the thermal button would have tripped, and he never mentioned that it did. That, and the middle fan doesn't throw out much heat compared to the front fan, either.

I didn't try two because I only ordered one. I suppose I could have repeated CZEddie's experiment, but I'm betting I'd get the same result. Perhaps the tachometer signal from all 3 fans is combined and using two Nexus fans falls below some threshold while using one does not. That's total conjecture on my part though, and not based on any knowledge whatsoever.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page