Upgrade or back-up for Epson 8350 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been a long time since I've been on this forum. Looking for opinions or thoughts for an upgrade or back-up for an Epson 8350. My setup is in a basement with total light control, using a Carada 134" (16:9) BW screen. Viewing is 70% Movies/TV and 30% Gaming. This is my only display in the house (no regular TV's) so probably used 40 to 50 hours per week (had the 8350 for 10 months, nearing 1800 hours on the bulb). Prior to the 8350 I had a Panasonic AX-200 that I kept as a back-up, but it no longer works. Since this is my only display I want to have two projectors so I have a back-up.
Only issue I have with the 8350 is I wish it was a little brighter (using Cinema setting for movies and now using Dynamic for gaming - which brightness is fine, but not happy with color accuracy).
I'm only considering Epson or Panasonic projectors (due to positive past experience with both brands and ease in setting up LCD for my HT), 3D is not important, max budget is $2,600. So far here are the alternatives I've come up:
1) Buy another 8350 - cheapest alternative although it's the same PJ as current, so no improvements - just serves as a back-up.
2) Buy Pananonic AR100U - similar price as the 8350, although from reviews sounds like 8350 is considered better for a light controlled room (ref: Proj Central comparison review). Maybe use the 8350 for movies and the AR100 for gaming?
3) Buy Epson 5010 - most expensive option I have, but sounds like a significant improvement for movies over the 8350 however the gaming lag could be an issue (I play MW3 mostly; but not sure how noticeable it would be for me - I'm just a slightly above avg player). I could use the 8350 for gaming if lag on the 5010 is an issue, but besides the inconvenience of swapping the HDMI cable between projectors, I'm disappointed in the quality of the picture when using Dynamic mode on the 8350 to make it bright enough for gaming. (I've tweaked the in game brightness options as much as possible to compensate too.) If the 5010 was about $500 cheaper I'd just get it, but not sure the extra $ is worth it.
All of my friends into HT have either flat panel displays or DLP projection TV's so they've been of little use in evaluating pro's and con's. I could use some feedback from projector users. Any comments appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Liked: 12
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21692045

Hey there, I also own both...the 8350 and just got the AR100. While your setup is light controlled I think with the size of your screen you could benefit from some more brightness based on your comment. The 8350 in my bedroom is only shooting to a 65" screen so it is very punchy - I tried it out on my living room screen around 100" and it lost enough brightness for me to consider getting something else and I'm really glad I got the AR100.

The iris is soooooo much faster than on the 8350 and much less noisy, so even if you had problems with overall black levels he iris does do a nice job a lowering them when you need to. You might want to try out a return/exchange friendly place like projectorpeople.com (where I got mine) and see how you like it. I am really happy with the AR100. Until I move to a 2.35:1 screen and need motorized lens memory or 3D I didn't want to invest too much into a basic projector...this one is perfect so far for me.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I think the AR100 is probably what I'll go with. It provides the brightness I'm missing with the 8350 and at it's price point I could refresh again in 18 - 24 months.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
IMO, limiting yourself to just Epson/Panny is a huge mistake. Especially now since the last generation 2d projectors from those companies are all sold out. This is funny since Epson has had a TON of bulb issues.

If I were you I'd get the LG CF181. Its only $1700 with an extra bulb. This is a super bright projector which you need for your huge screen, and its blacks will blow away your 8350. Plus it has a 2 year warranty.

If you are concerned about running two projectors, just buy a hdmi splitter from monoprice so you can switch between the two projectors by just pressing a button. I'm running two projectors now (Mitsu HC4900/ Panny AE4000). Too bad the Panny AE4000 is all sold out since it was $1700 and its 2D capability is almost exactly the same as the 5010.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If I were you I'd get the LG CF181.

This seems to be an odd recommendation coming from someone who owns a Panasonic and Mitsubishi projector. If you have read through the LG CF181 thread (and elsewhere on the internet) you will find this projector has its own particular issues and one reason I decided not to buy although initially it was on my list.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 13 Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

This seems to be an odd recommendation coming from someone who owns a Panasonic and Mitsubishi projector. If you have read through the LG CF181 thread (and elsewhere on the internet) you will find this projector has its own particular issues and one reason I decided not to buy although initially it was on my list.

i would have recommended the ae4000 but they are all sold out.

yes the LG has issues (rare occasions) but thats what the 2 year warranty is for. I'm sure the epson bulb issues are much more frequent.

i just think you will be VERY disappointed if you get another 8350/AR100. Those projectors can't even come close to the LG for movies.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i just think you will be VERY disappointed if you get another 8350/AR100. Those projectors can't even come close to the LG for movies.

Again I ask how you come by this recommendation, do you own one? Have you seen one? Or is it purely anecdotal?

post #8 of 13 Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Since the 2nd projector is your backup, maybe think outside the box. Maybe LED projector or DLP projector or HDTV instead. LED for long life, not have to worry about bulbs and could be good for your bedroom or other room.
DLP projector for brightness, cheap 1080p's are portable, come with internal speakers, can take with you outside or to friends house and can be packed away until needed or put in living room since it would be good in bright conditions.
Your 8350 would be your home theater projector and the second PJ could be portable, gaming machine for bedroom, living room, den or to show off at your friends house. The 8350 would be a pain to take to friends home, take it down from ceiling, it's big momma, no internal speakers.

You save a little money so in 2 years you get a NEW home theater PJ with better specs.

In either case, you could have fun researching in LED or DLP direction. Then decide if secondary is HDTV, LED,DLP or go with another home projector like the other guys are talking about.

I have viewsonic pro8200 DLP because it was rated pretty good on Art Feierman's site (projectorreviews.com) , tied second place with the epson 8350. They both took runner up or 2nd place in the BEST of 2011 in UNDER 2,000 category: http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080..._under2000.php Look towards the bottom of page, right after the epson 8350.
Art liked it for excellent cross-over projector, having speakers, lots of inputs and outputs, could be used in multiple settings, bright, 3 year warranty. I picked up my viewsonic pro8200 for 650 from Newegg at end of Dec. Love it for gaming and bedroom and for travel.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Again I ask how you come by this recommendation, do you own one? Have you seen one? Or is it purely anecdotal?

virtually every professional review and user review say the LG has superior blacks and picture than the 8350. Its just common sense. The LG original MSRP was $3k, the 8350 was $1500. Seriously.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-28-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

virtually every professional review and user review say the LG has superior blacks and picture than the 8350. Its just common sense. The LG original MSRP was $3k, the 8350 was $1500. Seriously.

My point is:

1. I would never advise anyone to spend $1600 on a projector I didn't have experience with or had even seen. Yes, I know these projector threads are strewn with recommendations much like yours, ie. I own a Saturn and a Ford but from all I've read I think you should buy a Chevy.

2. My main gripe is that you write off the Panasonic PT-AR100U as some sort of junk projector. I own the AR100U and can tell you it's a very versatile projector that can be dialed down in eco-mode and calibrated in either Cinema 1 or Rec709 to come close to what a 'home theater' projector can look like. The biggest advantage of the AR100U is that if you don't have a bat-cave for a viewing environment this projector still looks great, with my old projector any ambient light ruined the picture.

I am sure people who own the LG CF181D projector are very happy with it.

post #11 of 13 Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My point is:

1. I would never advise anyone to spend $1600 on a projector I didn't have experience with or had even seen. Yes, I know these projector threads are strewn with recommendations much like yours, ie. I own a Saturn and a Ford but from all I've read I think you should buy a Chevy.

2. My main gripe is that you write off the Panasonic PT-AR100U as some sort of junk projector. I own the AR100U and can tell you it's a very versatile projector that can be dialed down in eco-mode and calibrated in either Cinema 1 or Rec709 to come close to what a 'home theater' projector can look like. The biggest advantage of the AR100U is that if you don't have a bat-cave for a viewing environment this projector still looks great, with my old projector any ambient light ruined the picture.

I am sure people who own the LG CF181D projector are very happy with it.

First off the OP said he has a total light controlled room. So I can't see why the AR100 would be of any use to him at that price.

The LG is $1600 with an extra bulb, so you are getting the projector for basically $1300 which is only $100 more than the 8350.

Personally I would have bought the LG but I did not need the extra brightness it has (I dont have a huge screen) and the AE4000 was more placement friendly.

Bottom line is the LG is in a higher class than both the 8350/AR100, but cost less than the AR100, and just $100 more than the 8350
post #12 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

I bought the AR100 on the recent price drop, just had a few hours with it last night and I'm very happy with it. Color and black-level didn't seem to be any different from the 8350, but the AR100 had the additional brightness I wanted. I used the Cinema 1 settings with the parameter tweaks from the projector central review to watch a couple episodes of Game of Thrones; and used the Game setting for about 20 minutes of MW3 - didn't notice any lag issues (8350 didn't have any lag issues either).
I prefer the AR100 for movies and gaming over the 8350, so I've moved my 8350 to the storage closet as a back-up.
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions everyone provided.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton551 View Post

I bought the AR100 on the recent price drop, just had a few hours with it last night and I'm very happy with it. Color and black-level didn't seem to be any different from the 8350, but the AR100 had the additional brightness I wanted. I used the Cinema 1 settings with the parameter tweaks from the projector central review to watch a couple episodes of Game of Thrones; and used the Game setting for about 20 minutes of MW3 - didn't notice any lag issues (8350 didn't have any lag issues either).
I prefer the AR100 for movies and gaming over the 8350, so I've moved my 8350 to the storage closet as a back-up.
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions everyone provided.

congrats. The AR100 at this price point is incredible.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page