Optavision HD-9500 worth purchasing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm guessing a no..?

My budget has been cut short, but I've noticed a few of these listed in local classified for a few hundred dollars. The specs listed on the website look decent.

Anyone willing to throw in their 2 cents?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It's a piece of crap
post #3 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I wouldn't spend 2cents on it..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What is your budget? I am sure there will be something much better in your price range, no matter how small the budget.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm going to pass on it.

It's actually for a family member, but I'm overseeing the project. I think the budget on the projector is $1k, but obviously if less was spent there, more could be spent elsewhere in the room. 1080p is considered a must.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-01-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
You may want to have a read here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1391476

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 AM

I saw that someone was inquiring about whether or not to purchase the OptaVision HD-9500 HD LCD projector and I thought I'd put my "2 cents" in.

Okay......

Someone I know purchased one and brought it to work to try it out. I must tell you up front that I am an Audiovisual tech. Well, he turned it on and aimed it at a 9'X12' front projection screen. And... :/

Well here goes. While the image projected was very sharp, it was not very bright. I dare say that the image was not bright at all! Trust me, you want a projector with a BRIGHT IMAGE. We had to turn the lights all the down to get a "halfway decent" image on the screen, AND IT STILL WASN'T BRIGHT ENOUGH FOR OUR TASTES!

Anyway, the writing on the side of the box said that the projector's brightness is 5,000 ANSI lumens. Well I'm here to tell you that it is NOT 5,000 lumens. The image is more like 1,000 lumens, Possibly LESS! We have 4 and 5k lumen LCD projectors on site that we use all the time, and the HD-9500 couldn't even come close to putting out an image as bright as our "smallest 3k lumen projector".

In order for you to get maximum enjoyment from this projector, I recommend that you buy the screen that goes with it and view whatever you're watching on it with ALL THE LIGHTS OFF!!!

The projector itself has:
a built in TV tuner that one can control with the included remote, most any video input that one could anticipate and one stereo audio output. Most of the standard image adjustment controls on the projector are of the manual "bare bones" control variety, which includes the focus, zoom, and keystone control (vertical only) which consists of a single knob about midway up towards the rear on the left side of the unit.

Upon closer examination, the unit feels more like a toy that you would buy for permanent installation in your children's room, and not a serious LCD projector that you as an adult could derive any pleasure from unless you do so as I instructed earlier.

On the side of the box, we noticed the label that said this unit has an MSRP retail value of $5,000.00. To be honest with you, I think its really worth about $150.00 to $200.00 MSRP.

If you want an honest opinion, if you haven't spent your money on this unit already, then I suggest that you DO NOT PURCHASE this projector unless you want to get a little something for your kids, and I definitely recommend that you NOT pay $5,000.00 for this one, because ITS SIMPLY NOT WORTH IT!

You can go and google a CHRISTIE LX400, buy that, and come out WAY BETTER!

Well, I hoped that this critique helped anyone who's in the market for an LCD projector.

Thank you for reading this and have a nice day.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 PM

I didn't like the reviews I read here because currently I own one of these projectors and they are selling very cheap right now as well on ebay. The MSRP is over $5000 but you can find them for like 10% of the price because they had been overstocked and sold and resold and basically it was by a company who tried to make a big entrance into the major market but somehow failed. For its selling price this product is a great great buy, you wil never ever ever find something close to this projector with its specs anywhere at this price.. so go figure buddy.. plus why do you have a projector on with the lights on in the house if your watching a movie? plus where is the projection of your lights? is it directly on top of the projector looking down? try that on the best of the best projectors see if you get anything better.. so your 2 cents was actually not even worth 2 cents....
post #9 of 11 Old 10-22-2012, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaskenthethird View Post

The MSRP is over $5000 but you can find them for like 10% of the price because they had been overstocked and sold and resold and basically it was by a company who tried to make a big entrance into the major market but somehow failed.quote]

You actually believe this?
post #10 of 11 Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM
HWM

Liked: 11
I've seen this in a couple of other boards... those who sell the 9500 on craigslist troll around and plant things like this in hopes of giving the product some hint of credibility (i.e it pops up on a board, and at least someone is saying it isn't very bright, but has good resolution, etc). Rather than "ringing" endorsements they've gotten smarter about it...saying "it isn't great but". they are always "new users" who have joined the boards the day before the post, and they go back and forth with some mock pros and cons, making it sound like an ok deal.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturne25 View Post

I saw that someone was inquiring about whether or not to purchase the OptaVision HD-9500 HD LCD projector and I thought I'd put my "2 cents" in.

Best review I've read this month, lol. Thanks for that.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page