Vendor canceled my BenQ W6000 order. Other options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a good deal on BenQ W6000 but vendor just canceled saying BenQ isnt shipping them anymore. They still show up on Amazon for ~$150 more but there is a 2-4 week ship time and I'm thinking I may meet the same dead end there.

Looking for a projector under $1,500 street that has good brightness to enable watching with some ambient light. It's going in a currently being built basement theater in which I can get full light control if desired but the back of the theater area is partially open to the rest of the finished basement and I want to be able to watch sports, etc. from other parts of the room with the lights on. Plus I have two young kids and normally leave some low level lighting on during family movie night.

Planning on a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen. Projector lens will be about 14' from the screen (in a soffit) and a few inches above the top of the screen. Currently planning on Seymour CenterStage XD AT screen but could change it (e.g. up the gain) for the right projector.

Don't give a darn about 3D but willing to increase budget for non-3D related improved functionality. Strong preference to stay in the neighborhood of $1,500 but real hard cap at ~$2,500.

Recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

"There was one?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 AM

You are looking for the same setup as I was. Initially I bought the Epson 8700UB and paired it with an Elunevision Perlux Silver 1.4 gain 120" diaganal 16:9 screen. I loved the 8700 at night with lights out but felt even with the 1.4 gain screen it seemed to washout more than I would like during the day. So I tried out the Panasonic AR100U for the higher lumens and I am quite satisfied with it. I don't consider myself a videophile but do like a good picture that is not washed out and looks good both with ambient light and with lights out. This Panny does it for me for now but I do plan on upgrading to something like the Epson 5010 in a couple of years. I just did not want to spend the extra $1000 over the 8700 (net after considering the 8700 extra lamp) or extra $1400 over the AR100U right now.

In my opinion I bought a very good setup for both viewing in ambient light and without. If money was not an object I would have bought the Epson 5010 and still bought the same screen. I will say the screen has a very slight sheen to it in very bright images but it is not very noticeable and doesn't bother me.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 AM

I'm in a similar boat, was planning on W6000 on a 120" screen from ~13-17' in a 20x27 room with windows in the back.

Usage probably 1/3 gaming, 1/3 TV, 1/3 movies (HDPC & BluRay). The W6000 seemed like a great option, but it's getting scarce.

Now leaning towards a Mits HC4000 then maybe Panny ae4000u but am not sure which way to go and hate having to re-start an arduous process to research.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page