Looking for a new projector but user reviews are turning me off - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not talking about performance or image quality, features, etc. Talking about reliability. Seems like they're all bad.

My Optima HD 20 is about to bite the dust, B&W, flickering, shutting off. It only has 1850 hours on it and after reading about the rotten Optima customer support, I'm thinking my best bet is to lick my wounds and move on, obviously I'll never buy an Optima product again but it seems all others have issues also.

I've considered spending substantially more on a new projector thinking that maybe all the low end ones are junk. But after researching, I find this not to be the case, high end projectors also have problems.

So my question is, does anyone rate these things by reliability? Is buying a projector inherently a crap shoot?

BTW: I also own an Acer PH530 that I bought dirt cheap years ago. It's my first projector and it's the one that got me hooked on the big screen. To this day, it still performs flawlessly and I've never had the slightest problem with it. But alas, many other have so maybe it does come down to luck?

"If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much space."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Not sure what percentage of people have problems.
Not sure if a POLL would be useful to see what problems people have with either company or model number.
Something like did you have problem with PJ the 1st year, then second year, 3rd year, 4th year, 5th year.

It could be 2-3 percent have problems or 30 percent, I don't know, does anybody.

Hard to tell with user reviews , because not everybody that owns a model reviews it and pissed off people are likely to write a review to tell others to avoid.

I guess another way to go is which PJ company has the best costumer service. And do a Poll that way. This would give you indication which company makes customers the most happy.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 AM

Liked: 10
I've read through the Epson 8350, Optoma HD66, Optoma HD20, BenQ W6000, Mitsubishi HC4000 threads, and from what I have read the Mitsubishi seems to have the least problems, most reliable, Epson 8350 with the least reliability. I bought the Optoma HD66 due to cost restraints, but at almost 500 hours it has been nearly trouble free with the exception of a hair that got inside the light path, but it has gone away. I am seriously considering an upgrade to 1080P, and the Mits HC4000 seems the best bang for my buck. If I was blown away by the Optoma, surely I will be blown away by the HC4000!

post #4 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yeah, in a way I agree, I usually don't hear things going wrong with Mit.
The other way to go is CHEAP 1080p like the viewsonic pro8200 , maybe check reviews on amazon and in forum room and pro reviews.
Viewsonic does have 3 year warranty so that should help.
Maybe check coderguy's PJ picks thread.
So for 700 or under you could get something that could work for you for 3 years and then see if by then better PJ's come out. Instead of spending twice that amount with 1 or 2 year warranty and one that have user problems.
Now with the viewsonic pro8200, in beginning of thread people got units that were buggy, firmware fixed this , so if you bought one NOW, you wouldn't have any problems. My manufacture date is Nov 2011. With the viewsonic people were pissed you couldn't update the firmware as user and had to send it in. Which I agree sucks. But look at the 4 or 5 latest pages to see problems fixed.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Just sent an email to Optima customer service asking that they fix it under warranty. I'm not holding my breath but I thought it only fair to give them a chance to make it right.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can only speak for myself, but I have a Mitsu HC6800 that will be three years old next Oct. So far, not one problem. Only cleaned the filter regularly. Not many problems reported either in this PJ thread... Recently, I heard a few complaints about lamp life, though. Mine is just above 1400 hrs in low lamp. I care for it allowing it to cool down properly, using it for not more than maybe 4 hrs at a time, and so on....jave it on UPS power just in case, though never had a power outage while using it...
post #7 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM

I have the Mits HC4000 as well with 994 hrs on the lamp and not one single issue. I'm running it in low lamp mode too and also have it plugged into an UPS.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Got a reply from Optima. The rep told me to send her a completed RMA form and copy of purchase receipt and she would take it to her manager. Just sent off the required docs. Got my fingers crossed on this long shot. I bought the projector in Sept. 2010 so it's 6 months out of warranty.

post #9 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

W00T !!!!!

Optima gave me an RMA and will fix it under warranty. Kudos to them.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Glad to hear that. My Mitsubishi has also been trouble free for years.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzolio View Post

So my question is, does anyone rate these things by reliability? Is buying a projector inherently a crap shoot?

Yes it's a crap shoot. I ended up buying Epson 3010. Just on the principle it's pretty decent but more importantly 2 year warranty with good reputation for honoring it.

It's not a perfect projector but if it lasts at least 2 years.... good enough for me.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzolio View Post

Not talking about performance or image quality, features, etc. Talking about reliability. Seems like they're all bad.

My Optima HD 20 is about to bite the dust, B&W, flickering, shutting off. It only has 1850 hours on it and after reading about the rotten Optima customer support, I'm thinking my best bet is to lick my wounds and move on, obviously I'll never buy an Optima product again but it seems all others have issues also.

I've considered spending substantially more on a new projector thinking that maybe all the low end ones are junk. But after researching, I find this not to be the case, high end projectors also have problems.

BTW: I also own an Acer PH530 that I bought dirt cheap years ago. It's my first projector and it's the one that got me hooked on the big screen. To this day, it still performs flawlessly and I've never had the slightest problem with it. But alas, many other have so maybe it does come down to luck?

most projectors themselves are pretty darn reliable. you're of course gonna have the lemons and the model only issues etc. but projectors today aren't really any less reliable than ones from a decade ago.

The BULBS on the other hand are ALWAYS a crapshoot. a Bulb can last 3,000 hours, or it can last 300 or even 3 hours. you never know when a bulb will go. it's unfortunately the way of the game. but in terms of electronics you get some great projectors today. The epson main "reliability" issue was with the bulbs that they were using. supposedly they switched to a different manufacturers and we won't be seeing those bulb issues that plagued the whole 8000 series of Pj's from them.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 AM

I had a Mits HC6000 that had a great pic until one of the panels went bad after about 6 months. Under warranty so sent to Mits for repair. Came back and the focus across the pic was horrible. Mits service after that was horrible. I spent about 4 months of trying to get it resolved and sending it back and forth to Mits. Finally Mits incredulously said it was within specs. It was so obviously ridiculous the dealer apologized for the horrible lack of service from Mits and gave me my money back. It was an online purchase from Projector SuperStore. Kudos to them!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page