Very short throw distance, considering a mirror - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Working with a small side room with about 9'5 to 9'7 from the front of where the projector lenses would be to the wall. Ideally I'd like 110-120 inches from a seating distance of 10-11 feet with a ceiling of 8ft. I'll be purchasing an Epson 3010.

I've been doing a lot of reading and have a couple unanswered questions:
1. If I end up needing a mirror to increase the size, where do I find an inexpensive, but decent quality mirror to reflect on? Some pointers, links on basics of doing this would be appreciated.
2. The epson calculator estimates about 98 inch image size, assuming I place the projector nearly against the rear wall. Is there a required distance from the wall for cooling, or can I place it 2 inches from the wall with no problem?
3. At this close distance it seems a gray paint would be the best to reduce the fL, as well as increase contrast, correct?

Don't have many other options space wise.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Check out this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=mirror
post #3 of 16 Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, that's very helpful. So instead of worrying about 2 feet of throw distance I don't have, I could mount on ceiling, put a mirror at the rear (not even a big one from that distance) and gain the necessary 2-3 feet I need to throw correctly. Sweet!
post #4 of 16 Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

is there a arm/ball join that makes those mirrors easy to swivel and adjust on rather than laying flat against the wall?
post #5 of 16 Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can go to a tv repair shop and see if they have a mirror out of an old rear projection tv. They may even let you have it for free! Take it to a glass shop and have it cut to size.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
You want a first surface, not 2nd surface mirror.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 AM

where do you live, im outside of chicago.
I have a mirror from a rear projecton tv that I was going to use the same way.
But then switched rooms inststed, if can have it as i was just going to throw it away. it is a 1st serface mirror, trapezium shaped.

Eldon Tyrell:
"The light that burns twice as bright,
burns half as long. And you have burned
so very very brightly, Roy."
post #8 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

I live in Tomball, Tx (near Houston) 77375. Is the mirror from a projection TV big enough for projecting onto from 3 feet away with an Epson 3010? I'd be very thankful for your generosity if you were looking to get rid of it.

1. Help me understand if I can offset the projector and mirror. Do I assume that the mirror reflection would replace the projector in guaging the amount of keystone I would require. Example, I set up the mirror a foot to the left of the center of the screen. I setup the projector another 2-3 feet away at an angle pointing to the mirror. The only "offset" that would be affecting the image would be the mirror's offset right?

2. I was thinking about mounting the mirror on a piece of lexan or a frame and then mounting this to some type of ball joint arm. Thus making adjustments would be a piece of cake as I experiment. Is there a better option, or do you have an idea of how I would go about setting up a small ball arm join to mount this to the wall?

Thanks guys!
post #9 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 PM

what I would do is to buy a cheap vannity mirror from ikea http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00122822/

and try to see if you make it work first.

Eldon Tyrell:
"The light that burns twice as bright,
burns half as long. And you have burned
so very very brightly, Roy."
post #10 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
play around with any old mirror - even a hand mirror. I think you need the mirror 100% parallel to the screen, and can use off-set adjustment to shoot onto the mirror. When you have figured out what you need, go find a first-surface mirror the right size to work for you.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Which is better for movies?
Mitsubishi WD380U-EST or Optoma GT750?

Anyone did a comparison before?
post #12 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Which is better for movies?
Mitsubishi WD380U-EST or Optoma GT750?

Anyone did a comparison before?

Wow, the throw on that mitsu is crazy. The mitsu seems to be made more for business/classroom, the gt750 is more for gaming. I'd guess that neither are really meant for dedicated home theater usage. I have the gt750, it's okay for movies blacks not that deep, some issues with colors but these are the same issues that just about all budget projectors have. Both are 720p.

I can't find too much info on the color wheel. Mitsu has 5 segments but I can't find the speed. Gt750 is 2X but can't find the number of segments.

Mitsu is considerably more expensive considering it is only 3D capable not 3D ready like the GT750 is. Whether or not that translates into a better picture quality....who knows. The Mitsu has a bunch of classroom/business stuff like wireless computer controls etc.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead with the Optoma HD33 despite the slightly reduced zoom because of the lag issues reported on the Epson 3010.

1. I'm going to need to put a mirror in, about 2-6 away, so I'd like a 20 inch wide mirror by about 15 inches high. Anyone have a good recommendatino on where I can get a decent mirror this size without going super scientific $500+ grade

2. Until I get a chance to build a DIY screen, does anyone here projector on a tan wall successfully? I'm wondering how bad it will be, or if I'm not a pure videophile it will be fine for a while until I build the screen.

3. Any HD33 users have recommendations on the best bang for the buck glasses for 3d?

4. Does the HD33 RF emitter have to be wired in the front near the screen, or is it just a module that hangs near the actual projector?

Lots of questions, I've brain dead from all my research :-)
post #14 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Note, I just realized I wasn't accounting for the projector size in the distance increase with a mirror so the mirror size can actually be smaller.

I think I'd like something around 20 inches in width if possible to have room to grow in the future, but could work with something 17 inches or so wide, by 10 inches tall. the 20 inches by 11 tall would be ideal as I'd have a little room to grow.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

After continuing to read, I'm unable to really find an inexpensive quality solution to front surface mirror's being used for increasing the distance of the throw, at least enough info for a newbie like me.

1. If my HD33 is 5-6 inches off ceiling and pointing towards the wall and I put a <20 inch mirror with the appropriate angle to hit the wall straight on, will it need keystoning?
2. Where can I find inxpensive front surface mirrors when I'm not dealing with a $40k setup but just a small media room.
3. Someone said I'd have to replace the front surface mirror every 6 months due to oxidation. Is there no other option? I don't see why it would get dirty angled down, shouldn't even attract much dust.

Can someone with experince using a FS mirror help shed some light on how to properly do this for someone on an very low budget. I currently have around 10.5 feet for throw distance and need around 12 feet, so it shouldn't be a far reach.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
g00p3k, I've done some research on this as I have considered what you are doing. Do a search for diy first surface mirror and you will find some info on how someone bought a cheap walmart mirror and using paint remover removed the backing off of a standard mirror to create a 1st surface mirror.

I have not tried it and have seen posts with a varying degree of success. You might give it a try. If you have some success, post back and let us know.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page