Possible Upgrade - Opinions please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I currently have an Epson 8100 and a 100" 16:9 screen in a light controlled room. I have been pretty happy with it, although I know I will want to upgrade to a unit with better black levels and contrast. It has been a great first projector though.

I see that AVSCIENCE has those B stock JVC DLA-RS40 projectors at a really good price. Other than the bulb issue, which is supposed to be resolved with the newer bulbs, it seems like a great unit. I could make this upgrade happen cost wise.

The other options would be to wait it out another year and look at next years Epson 5010 equivalent....or the same price range from other manufactures. OR I could look for a leftover 8500UB. Basically staying in the $2000 price range this year, or I could spend closer to $3000 next year.

The JVC DLA-RS40 is tempting but I do worry about the issues others have had and that it is B stock.

How much better is the JVC DLA-RS40 versus my 8100?
How does the JVC DLA-RS40 compare to the Epson 5010, or the 8500 for that matter?

My main concern is 2D PQ, though I will eventually play with 3D a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
The RS-40's 2D PQ for under $2k is as good as it gets.
Grab the RS-40 and if you are a heavy user, keep the 8100 for non-special viewing and the JVC for those special movies in order to keep lamp life lower on the JVC. It comes with the 2-year warranty, not much to worry about for that price considering most of us paid almost double and still only got a 2-year warranty.

There is no question the RS-40's PQ is miles ahead of a $1000 Epson 8100.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm trying to figure out if I have the throw distance. I have about 10 1/2 feet. The information on JVC's website is confusing. On one chart it seems 9.8ft will get me a 100" image. On another its over 11ft.

Any ideas what the real numbers are for a 100" screen?
post #4 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

9 feet 11 inches is the minimum for a 100" 16:9 diagonal screen.
Keep in mind you need 6 inches or so of clearance from the back of the projector to the wall, so that makes it close to 10.5 to 11 feet since the projector draws air from the vents in the back.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ok from my current 8100's lens to screen is 11 1/2 feet. The JVC is a few inches deep, but the lens is also recessed unlike the epson. There would still me plenty of room behind for ventilation. It's tight, but I think it would work...

The only real concern is the bulb issues people have been having. It sounds like JVC has tried to remedy the issue, but does anyone know for sure if they have?

Also what is the refresh rate on this? I am assuming it handles 1080p24, but what does it do with it?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Most likely the bulb issue still exists, and for this reason I find it hard to recommend a JVC as a primary use projector. That said, it is all anecdotal evidence, but the evidence is strong that a problem still exists. Still the picture is amazing and I feel it is worth it, just be careful how many hours you use it.

The JVC is 120hz, it will replicate the frames (5:5 pulldown is what it is called I think). You can also enable CFI to smooth the frames, but I prefer CFI off.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Most likely the bulb issue still exists, and for this reason I find it hard to recommend a JVC as a primary use projector. That said, it is all anecdotal evidence, but the evidence is strong that a problem still exists. Still the picture is amazing and I feel it is worth it, just be careful how many hours you use it.

The JVC is 120hz, it will replicate the frames (5:5 pulldown is what it is called I think). You can also enable CFI to smooth the frames, but I prefer CFI off.

Yeah 5:5 pulldown for 120hz. The bulb issue worries me. Not sure if there is much that can be done about it. Is JVC at least being responsive about it? I am reading through the owners thread to get a better sense, but knowing how those threads go I'll probably feel worse about it after.

I'm gonna have to make a decision soon I guess since the B stocks are limited quantity.

How does the RS40 compare to the new Entry level JVC? Are there any other considerations about this unit I should know about before making a jump? The 8100 has been reliable. I just know that it is an entry level unit and the PQ can be much better on a better PJ like the JVC. But I will need to sell the 8100, so there will be no backup.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

So far it seems JVC are replacing the bulbs if they fail too short of 1000 hours, so in that case you may be covered.

I can be a bit outspoken, but I personally think JVC has known what the issue is for a while. Coming from a computer background and knowing how corporate politics work when technical issues arise, more than likely the problem has been known for a very long time by someone at JVC. Whether or not JVC fixes it is probably related to bureaucratic red tape and corporate politics.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page